Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 03:48 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
All of this. My watch and car collection definitely got more attention than market $ in '20. And I bought on my high end for the .2, but it was my perfect spec and would not have lasted another day on the market.
Less than a day. I'm going to bitter about it until I get mine, lol.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:55 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Burren
Less than a day. I'm going to bitter about it until I get mine, lol.
Lol ! I'm sorry! But totally understand.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:24 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

My wife's HQ is in Birmingham and I fully intend to road trip there to run around Barber, so maybe our paths will cross some day. I don't think there is another black GT3 with gold wheels in the country.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:11 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

My wife's HQ is in Birmingham and I fully intend to road trip there to run around Barber, so maybe our paths will cross some day. I don't think there is another black GT3 with gold wheels in the country.
I did the 2 day Barber course, it was amazing.

You have no idea of the capabilities of these cars - and those aren't even GT cars!
The following 2 users liked this post by pissedpuppy:
Burren (01-06-2021), jreifler (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 05:11 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 499 Posts

Barber is a must. Brilliant track and facility. The GT4 will remain my primary track tool, but I won't be able to resist getting the 3 out there a few times. PM me if you know or think you'll be heading there. CHIN and PCA events are both extremely well-run there.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:00 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
Your posts are all over the place. First you say only a sucker would buy in the winter, then you say markets differ each and every time. There was no downward spiral in GT prices even during the March/April market crash. Prices remained steady. Seasonality hasn't had much price impact in the last few years because desirable 997 GT3 supply continues to decline while demand remains relatively steady. There is always a buyer for a clean, well specced car, irrespective of the season. The country has many climates, people in the southern half of the country don't stop driving their nice cars in the winter. Do you really think that someone that wants a clean GT3 in a certain color is passing up a find because prices might change next season? No. There is only a handful of clean GT3s in any configuration. When they pop, they don't last long. Just look at how fast @switchcars is turning over GT3s. There is both supply, and demand.
Context buddy. Read the prior posts about people getting "anxious" over the limited supply. Hence my comment about pulling the trigger for something you "want," but doesn't exactly fit the entire bill. You realize there are 911's for sale that aren't listed irrespective of location, clime, or time.

When did I ever say it would be less? I mentioned more opportunity and competitiveness for those vehicles that are listed when the time is "ripe" for the country to enjoy.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:21 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Food for thought....when was the last time you heard of an Owner binning their Gt3? I’m not talking about the one down in LA due to rioters. The idea that less and less is them are pristine is no longer the case. The case of the GT3 is not like that of that 964/993. Owner are holding on to them far longer as indicated by the very same forum you commonly post 8Lug. Think about stuff before you write and assume. Critique asinine comments about conditions of vehicles, dme readings, and associated statuses. Ignorant enthusiasts don’t decrease as the marquee’s value goes up. Tough one to swallow for most.....

Shoot the messenger much you did.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:32 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,098 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by racelance
The guards red car that was listed on this site. Has the dundon mods.

Cheers,

Lance
Congrats Lance.

Originally Posted by jasonturbo
I’ve noticed this myself on RL and on a number of other forums dedicated to speciality cars where the WTB threads are starting to outnumber the for sale postings. This phenomenon is not unique to the availability/price of the 997 GT3... it’s affecting the broader sports car market.

I would suggest the underlying cause is the rapid expansion of the currency supply that has taken place in 2020... people have money (or access to it) and want to own assets, not the USD, and with equity markets at all record highs people get creative when looking for returns and ways to avoid too much exposure to USD.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M1

Tesla stock (PE ratio of 1500:1???), Bitcoin, Gold, sports cars, Rolex’s, etc... people have been piling in.

But I digress, indeed it is a sellers market for 997 GT3’s and other ‘desirable” sports cars... I would encourage buyers to be patient, but also be ready to pay and act quickly when the ‘right’ car comes up for sale... the good cars move very fast.
Never did I think the Rolex market would take off like it did, along with quite a few watch brands. Stainless Patek went up, Tudor, etc. Regarding watches, I very much could be wrong, but I think a lot of the demand for that is due to Instagram. Everyone wants to show off and while $10k is a lot of money, it's a lot less than trying to have a collection of Pagani's and Ferrari's like some people on IG. I think IG ruined a lot of things since it's no longer about what you want, it's also not about trying to impress your friends anymore (which you should't do either), it's about trying to impress tens of thousands of people that you really shouldn't care about. Stainless Rolex were my favorite watches years ago, way before they were popular but now they've become unobtainable since I have no AD connections and I'm not paying $25k for a stainless Daytona.

I also think people have a lot of money sitting that they weren't spending on vacations, may as well buy a car or watch.

But ultimately I also agree that people want to diversify and also maybe spend a bit of money instead of saving it forever when you may not get to enjoy it.

For someone who's new to the GT market - since other Porsches really don't transact anything like GT cars do - its tough to know when its the "right" car and then also trust its being represented truthfully and been well taken care of. This community is tremendous when it comes to knowing cars and which ones are duds, but even asking the question on a VIN could take a day and mean the loss of a car, LOL.

I think I'm doing the prudent thing and paying Doug to help me find what I want.
My take is to spend a bit more, if you're able to, buy from a trusted source, and get the right car the first time. Don't settle on a big item (model of car or condition). But settle on the small items (the really not important options).
So for instance, the 997 I had before my 997 GT3, was a C2S. First, I didn't really want a C2S, but I thought that'd be good enough, couldn't afford a Turbo or a GT3 at the time and everyone was telling me that I should just buy a car and then move up. Financially, terrible move. Insisted on the car having full leather. Also a terrible move, this goes back to settling on the small items. Found a CPO car, trusted the dealer since they were a huge Porsche dealer with great reviews and also great reviews for the salesperson. Flew down, inspected the car, bought it even though it was not as described, with some relatively large issues to me. Car also had some mechanical issues. Sold the car a year later at a huge loss.

When buying the GT3, I took a different approach than what I did with the C2S, from some people that are much smarter than me and have been passing this information along to those that ask for my input when purchasing a GT3. Mostly, buy the seller. I've been hearing buy the seller since I bought my first nice watch in 2014. If you're buying from someone with a proper history and reputation, you can pretty much insure yourself against issues during the purchase process. That doesn't mean everything always goes right but it means that the seller will make things right in the end. In my case, I've used davidsw.com and have been happy with watches, both buying and selling. When it comes to GT3's, I guess I look at it like this, you can either buy from someone like Doug, maybe you're going to pay a bit of a premium, but ultimately you're going to get a better car. You'll be better off in the long run. You can also pay from someone like UDrive, Holt, Merit, etc. You're going to pay a premium with them too, possibly even more of a premium in some cases. Either way, be ready to move quickly. Have your cash, financing, whatever, in line so that when the right car comes up, you can move quickly and when the right car comes up and feels right, buy it. Don't overthink things too much. I'm the king of that, but you just have to trust in the process at a certain point.

Why do people buy their E39 M5's or E46 M3's from Enthusiast Auto Group, because they know they're going to get a quality product. Sure you can buy one from the shady dealer down the street, but you're going to either pay now in the purchase price or pay later in maintenance.

Ultimately what matters is that you get the car that you're happy with. The condition you're happy with for the appropriate price for that condition. For some people, they want to put 10k a year on their GT3, use it year round, use it on track, they also are willing to buy a driver quality example, that's great. Those that want a minty example, that's great too, just be willing to pay. There is a big difference between laughably high, like that Pumpkin on eBay and, that's sort of high and more than I want to spend, but it's fair given the condition. Buy once, cry once.
The following 7 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Burren (01-06-2021), Joe Cho (01-06-2021), jto24 (01-12-2021), mikes70 (01-09-2021), Robocop305 (01-06-2021), TD_05 (01-06-2021), zshecht7792 (01-06-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-06-2021, 08:09 PM
gerryros
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

For someone who's new to the GT market - since other Porsches really don't transact anything like GT cars do - its tough to know when its the "right" car and then also trust its being represented truthfully and been well taken care of. This community is tremendous when it comes to knowing cars and which ones are duds, but even asking the question on a VIN could take a day and mean the loss of a car, LOL.

I think I'm doing the prudent thing and paying Doug to help me find what I want.
That's what I did, and it worked out very well. After I sold Doug my .1 I paid him to find me a .2. He found one quickly with ALL of my wishlist items (no stories, low mi, high spec, 5-lug conversion, buckets, full leather, no FAL, pinned lines, PPF, etc etc...it was a very long list), and I grabbed it.
The following 2 users liked this post by gerryros:
Burren (01-06-2021), Robocop305 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:46 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bxstr
My take is to spend a bit more, if you're able to, buy from a trusted source, and get the right car the first time. Don't settle on a big item (model of car or condition). But settle on the small items (the really not important options).
So for instance, the 997 I had before my 997 GT3, was a C2S. First, I didn't really want a C2S, but I thought that'd be good enough, couldn't afford a Turbo or a GT3 at the time and everyone was telling me that I should just buy a car and then move up. Financially, terrible move. Insisted on the car having full leather. Also a terrible move, this goes back to settling on the small items. Found a CPO car, trusted the dealer since they were a huge Porsche dealer with great reviews and also great reviews for the salesperson. Flew down, inspected the car, bought it even though it was not as described, with some relatively large issues to me. Car also had some mechanical issues. Sold the car a year later at a huge loss.

When buying the GT3, I took a different approach than what I did with the C2S, from some people that are much smarter than me and have been passing this information along to those that ask for my input when purchasing a GT3. Mostly, buy the seller. I've been hearing buy the seller since I bought my first nice watch in 2014. If you're buying from someone with a proper history and reputation, you can pretty much insure yourself against issues during the purchase process. That doesn't mean everything always goes right but it means that the seller will make things right in the end. In my case, I've used davidsw.com and have been happy with watches, both buying and selling. When it comes to GT3's, I guess I look at it like this, you can either buy from someone like Doug, maybe you're going to pay a bit of a premium, but ultimately you're going to get a better car. You'll be better off in the long run. You can also pay from someone like UDrive, Holt, Merit, etc. You're going to pay a premium with them too, possibly even more of a premium in some cases. Either way, be ready to move quickly. Have your cash, financing, whatever, in line so that when the right car comes up, you can move quickly and when the right car comes up and feels right, buy it. Don't overthink things too much. I'm the king of that, but you just have to trust in the process at a certain point.

Why do people buy their E39 M5's or E46 M3's from Enthusiast Auto Group, because they know they're going to get a quality product. Sure you can buy one from the shady dealer down the street, but you're going to either pay now in the purchase price or pay later in maintenance.

Ultimately what matters is that you get the car that you're happy with. The condition you're happy with for the appropriate price for that condition. For some people, they want to put 10k a year on their GT3, use it year round, use it on track, they also are willing to buy a driver quality example, that's great. Those that want a minty example, that's great too, just be willing to pay. There is a big difference between laughably high, like that Pumpkin on eBay and, that's sort of high and more than I want to spend, but it's fair given the condition. Buy once, cry once.
I appreciate that, thank you. I agree on all the points; I would much rather get the right thing the first time. Reliability and quality are much more important to me than 3% here or 5% there. This is something I intend to keep indefinitely and will keep adding to the collection as time goes on.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:38 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I agree with you except for the EAG example. One of the main reasons people buy from them is that they have more money than sense. It’s not like your only two options are EAG and some sleazy dealer down the street — although I’m sure EAG likes that narrative! Their cars are crazy overpriced and typically if you do a little research and look around a bit you can find a very similar car from a reputable dealer that has done the same maintenance for much less. I agreed with everything else you said, but I wanted to point this out because it’s a shame to see people get taken by EAG’s smoke and mirrors show.

Last edited by Bobby 911; 01-07-2021 at 06:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jto24 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 07:03 AM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
I agree with you except for the EAG example. One of the main reasons people buy from them is that they have more money than sense. It’s not like your only two options are EAG and some sleazy dealer down the street — although I’m sure EAG likes that narrative! Their cars are crazy overpriced and typically if you do a little research and look around a bit you can find a very similar car from a reputable dealer that has done the same maintenance for much less. I agreed with everything else you said, but I wanted to point this out because it’s a shame to see people get taken by EAG’s smoke and mirrors show.

couldn't agree more about EAG...
Old 01-07-2021, 07:44 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,098 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
I understand your point too. There is obviously a middle ground somewhere. But I’m thinking less about their 10k mile Imola E39 M5 they were asking $150k for. I’m thinking more about their fully sorted Lemans E39 M5 with 50k miles for $55k. They have a couple E39 M5’s in the upper $40s too.

My friend runs a BMW shop and he could definitely find you a car for $30k, put $5-8k into it fully sorting it (half of what EAG would charge) and then you’d be in a perfect M5 for $40k instead of $55k. He actually just recently did that for a customer. I guess it depends what level of their car you’re considering.

Another friend picked up an E46 M3 on BAT for $28k. Figure $30k with buyers premium. When he got the car home, he had about $3-5k worth of stuff that it needed. He’s in New England so pricing is slightly higher. Oil leak that wasn’t disclosed because the seller actually didn’t know about it. He recently had gotten it back from a shop and the shop incorrectly installed a part causing the leak. With an EAG car this hopefully would have all been sorted and if there was an issue they hopefully would have paid for it to be done although that I can’t confirm. I tried to look at EAG E46 M3 pricing but they’re currently all call for price.

Figure an EAG E46 M3 would have been $40-45k with similar miles? Last I looked they were but I could be wrong.

You’re 100% right. Their stuff is overpriced if you’re looking at the low mileage stuff. I’d try and find one of their 40-60k mile E46 M3’s or E39 M5’s. That’s a case where you’re buying from a reputable dealer, paying a premium for that, but not buying the absolute perfect car that you can’t drive and they’re charging ridiculous amounts just because It’s low mile.

Just figured I’d explain why I put that and what I was thinking when I wrote it.

I have 0 to gain from saying they’re a good company, or that any company is, but I’ve watched friends pick up M cars that in the next year should have $5-10k put into them, which lowers that differential between normal car and EAG. Then again, most GT3’s could have $5k worth of work done (coolant lines).
Old 01-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
Porsche GT cars have their own market curves that are affected but not determined by outside factors.

Weather and seasonality is the least of those factors. A Bentley GTC? A Mazda Miata? Yep, those go up in spring. But if I had a dollar for every Porsche GT owner who said "I'll wait to sell it until spring because the market will be stronger"....I would retire.
Buy a car when YOU are ready, and be prepared to move quickly. Sell a car when it makes sense for YOU. That's what I tell everyone. Trying to time an unpredictable market never works, unless you are controlling the market.
In a single season at a time Island such as the UK the seasons do factor. Once winter hits, and the track season ends, there is a marked increase in supply, then when track season starts up again demand is heavier. A good GT is sought after regardless though, I bought my RS in winter, not because of a deal but because of the car.

Last edited by Dervish; 01-07-2021 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 03:38 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Food for thought....when was the last time you heard of an Owner binning their Gt3?
I know of a number that got wrecked this year. Couple really good ones, too

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...