The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:53 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
On the outside this appears to be a good buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...-/252549607924
Have no clue about this dealership but he has some really nice cars. And the Turbo 3.6 is spectacular. Makes my pants tight.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 AM
ByeEnzo
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 86 Posts

Ed,

Canadian car looks nice but probably has been run hard. DME shows 312 hrs of operation with odo at 15,XXX miles. That's about 50 mph average. I'd bet most DD cars are in mid 30's. That plus the cage and harnesses. Not bad issues if car has been serviced regularly. Also range 1 ignitions were about 8 hrs ago...not big deal. Range 2 are minimal and a while back. Personally I like the metal brakes if you are gonna run it on track. Mucho dinero to replace ceramics. Get a PPI.
Now, if you want a nice orange .1 you know where one is.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:21 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
If you are concerned with the state of disarray on the car- get a PPi at Canadian dealer- it's the same thing...I have imported 4-5 cars in the last 24 months.
That's a given. But after 3 failed inspections at minimum $200 a pop not including leak down testing (which I have done on one), it gets a bit irritating to have absolutely nothing to show for it but a lighter wallet. I'd rather just avoid the cars that have red flags altogether.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:28 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ByeEnzo
Ed,

Canadian car looks nice but probably has been run hard. DME shows 312 hrs of operation with odo at 15,XXX miles. That's about 50 mph average. I'd bet most DD cars are in mid 30's. That plus the cage and harnesses. Not bad issues if car has been serviced regularly. Also range 1 ignitions were about 8 hrs ago...not big deal. Range 2 are minimal and a while back. Personally I like the metal brakes if you are gonna run it on track. Mucho dinero to replace ceramics. Get a PPI.
Now, if you want a nice orange .1 you know where one is.
Ajai
So far, haven't run across an RS that hasn't been tracked. Seems unavoidable unless I want to spend $200K+ on a sub 10K mile bubble car. Doesn't particularly bother me as that's what they were intended for, but the ones I have vetted have had catastrophic damage not readily seen on the surface.

Have you officially put up your .1 for sale yet?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:54 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

From the pics of that Canadian car I'd say it's seems to have a significant amount of paint pitting on the hood, front bumper cover and in front of the rear fenders, even above the tape. Almost certainly came from heavy track use.

I've got to give it to those Canucks, for such a short season a lot of them seem to use their RS's as God intended.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:03 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,181 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
That's a given. But after 3 failed inspections at minimum $200 a pop not including leak down testing (which I have done on one), it gets a bit irritating to have absolutely nothing to show for it but a lighter wallet. I'd rather just avoid the cars that have red flags altogether.
Don't take this the wrong way but I'd never complain about 600 bucks when it comes to an RS. These are high tensile strength cars and have incredible tolerances. No such thing as a bargain (unless you are comparing them to a 360F or a new Aston)
Old 09-21-2016, 03:26 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Ajai
So far, haven't run across an RS that hasn't been tracked. Seems unavoidable unless I want to spend $200K+ on a sub 10K mile bubble car. Doesn't particularly bother me as that's what they were intended for, but the ones I have vetted have had catastrophic damage not readily seen on the surface.

Have you officially put up your .1 for sale yet?
You're right, for a "like-new" car, prepare to fork $250K and up. And then wrap it in a bubble.

If you plan to drive the car there are several under $180K that I personally would be happy with. But don't expect a "perfect" car. Most of them were tracked as you say. So cosmetically they would need a few things... Mine was tracked, but the paint is perfect under the clear bra. I ended up spending a decent amount of elbow grease to bring it back to where it's in good cosmetic shape. Replaced a few trim items, did an oil change and a complete brake job, and had to change some settings with Durametric. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. There are some chips on the brake calipers, a couple of scuffs on the wheels, if you look for problem areas you'll certainly find them. But behind the wheel the car is absolutely amazing. Brings me total satisfaction. And that's what matters to me the most.

I see all these ads for 15,20, 30K mile cars claiming perfection... There ain't no such thing. If a car has been driven it won't be perfect. Guaranteed.

Can you share what were the issues that prevented you from pulling the trigger on the cars you PPIed?
Old 09-21-2016, 03:31 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 276 Posts

Same boat as me. I've already dropped $350 on one inspection on a .2RS from what I was initially told "car never tracked" and it had significant issues that needed immediate repairs. I know $350 is a **** in the ocean but if I get any red flags on my initial inspection (with help from RL), I pass. And I am not dropping $250K on a "garage queen" while risking a potential dumb in my returns. Just want a relatively fair priced car that's somewhat clean.....it's like finding a virgin in a house of ill repute
Old 09-21-2016, 03:32 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 276 Posts

You're right, for a "like-new" car, prepare to fork $250K and up. And then wrap it in a bubble.

If you plan to drive the car there are several under $180K that I personally would be happy with. But don't expect a "perfect" car. Most of them were tracked as you say. So cosmetically they would need a few things... Mine was tracked, but the paint is perfect under the clear bra. I ended up spending a decent amount of elbow grease to bring it back to where it's in good cosmetic shape. Replaced a few trim items, did an oil change and a complete brake job, and had to change some settings with Durametric. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. There are some chips on the brake calipers, a couple of scuffs on the wheels, if you look for problem areas you'll certainly find them. But behind the wheel the car is absolutely amazing. Brings me total satisfaction. And that's what matters to me the most.

I see all these ads for 15,20, 30K mile cars claiming perfection... There ain't no such thing. If a car has been driven it won't be perfect. Guaranteed.

Can you share what were the issues that prevented you from pulling the trigger on the cars you PPIed?
well said
Old 09-21-2016, 08:22 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Same boat as me. I've already dropped $350 on one inspection on a .2RS from what I was initially told "car never tracked" and it had significant issues that needed immediate repairs. I know $350 is a **** in the ocean but if I get any red flags on my initial inspection (with help from RL), I pass. And I am not dropping $250K on a "garage queen" while risking a potential dumb in my returns. Just want a relatively fair priced car that's somewhat clean.....it's like finding a virgin in a house of ill repute
I've said it a million times any car with over 2k miles has been tracked. Honestly it doesn't matter except the 10 paint chips on the hips you won't know the difference

Find one with super solid repair and
mainstrecords rest doesn't matter
Old 09-21-2016, 08:25 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Id also add - I didn't PPI mine, I flew out looked at car, spoke with owner, looked at maint records flew home and asked my bank to wire owner money

PPI is worthless it'll tell you if the thing needs brake rotors or tires - it's the maint records that tell the story

Best decision I've ever made (other than marrying my wonderful and understanding wife of course)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:09 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Don't take this the wrong way but I'd never complain about 600 bucks when it comes to an RS. These are high tensile strength cars and have incredible tolerances. No such thing as a bargain (unless you are comparing them to a 360F or a new Aston)
$600 won't bankrupt me, but it's still a lot of money for absolutely zero return.

A few cosmetic issues is par for the course. Replacing a few bits here and there wouldn't bother me. These gems went above and beyond some curb rash and paint chips.

One car was already mentioned here: motor replaced which I didn't find out until after the PPI.

Second was a Canadian car. HEAVILY tracked. Only obvious sign was a peppered front bumper and hood. But a PPI showed a cracked subframe and RUST!! Assume some unlucky sod bought it since it's been off the market for several weeks.

Third one looked great cosmetically. Had a few range 3 overrevs. But got in contact with the previous owner and it had been involved in a transport rollover (are you freakin' kidding me?!?!??!). Every panel had been replaced.

ALL of these cars are advertised as 'clean'. Trust no one.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

........ it had been involved in a transport rollover (are you freakin' kidding me?!?!??!). Every panel had been replaced.

ALL of these cars are advertised as 'clean'. Trust no one.
But.....it was never tracked
Old 09-21-2016, 11:31 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
But.....it was never tracked
Actually, I think it did.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:07 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

A replacement engine is a good thing in my book. On a car that will be purchased to be driven. If that's all that's "wrong" with it I'm a buyer!

Many 997-2 RS had their engines replaced due to the intake bolt backing out issue. It's not uncommon at all. Mine had almost 10K miles when the engine was replaced. The way I see it the engine is fresher than the rest of the car!

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...