Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 11:26 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
That's still speculating but I get what you're saying. My point is that I've never thought of what any of my 35+ car purchases would net me years from now. I could never care about the resale down the road. Many in the P car world seem to buy for just that, hence the low mile GT car market while worrying about the future without the enjoyment of today.
So you find it fascinating that others care about not flushing money down the toilet? Fascinating.
The following users liked this post:
8Lug (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 02:47 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

I'm fascinated by the number of people who treat the purchase of these cars as fiscally responsible, or looking to speculate on the cars. This is the problem with the new GT market and I remember when PNA said they were going to come down on speculators. I hope and pray that doesn't happen to the 997 cars. What happened to buying cars and driving the **** out of them. I get all my value from the smiles per mile. It seems I am living in a minority today.
"PNA said they were going to come down on speculators"

what does that even mean??
Old 12-06-2020, 03:09 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 8Lug
The two are not mutually exclusive. My last 4 cars, an E92 M3 and three 911s cost me nothing to own. I actually made a tiny bit of money on them even after factoring in maintenance and insurance costs. I do think of a 911 as a fiscally responsible purchase because if you buy the right car, you can usually resell it for what you have into it. That doesn't mean I don't drive and enjoy the crap out of them. With many 911s, you can have your cake and eat it too. Having said that, speculating on price appreciation is a different story and I agree that buying a car with the hopes of making money on it is a foolish investment strategy and usually precludes you from driving and enjoying the car.
consider yourself fortunate, LOL

I never owned a "911" (SC, Carrera, C2S) that didn't depreciate.

all 3 GT3 have somewhat (well, the RS is tbd)
Old 12-06-2020, 04:23 PM
HpIzKing
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
consider yourself fortunate, LOL

I never owned a "911" (SC, Carrera, C2S) that didn't depreciate.

all 3 GT3 have somewhat (well, the RS is tbd)
Originally Posted by 8Lug
The two are not mutually exclusive. My last 4 cars, an E92 M3 and three 911s cost me nothing to own. I actually made a tiny bit of money on them even after factoring in maintenance and insurance costs. I do think of a 911 as a fiscally responsible purchase because if you buy the right car, you can usually resell it for what you have into it. That doesn't mean I don't drive and enjoy the crap out of them. With many 911s, you can have your cake and eat it too. Having said that, speculating on price appreciation is a different story and I agree that buying a car with the hopes of making money on it is a foolish investment strategy and usually precludes you from driving and enjoying the car.
I think I need 8Lug to source/buy my next M or other car for me...and then sell it too. My wife has owned nothing but M cars the last fifteen years (E39, E60,E90, F85, and now F82) and does not drive the cars hard or put miles on them yet we have never come close to breaking even or making money...same as any other car I have bought for myself (except for two FJ cruisers my wife owned where we came close to break even). Perhaps we aren't buying "enough" car or special enough models. I feel fortunate that the '10 997.2 turbo I bought as a CPO six years ago has held decent resale but no way am I going to get close to breaking even considering the maintenance and upkeep/upgrade costs I have spent along with normal depreciation (which is hella better than most cars even). No worries there but I would love to know what we are doing wrong?! lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by HpIzKing:
nochain19 (12-06-2020), pissedpuppy (12-07-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 06:35 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by HpIzKing
I think I need 8Lug to source/buy my next M or other car for me...and then sell it too. My wife has owned nothing but M cars the last fifteen years (E39, E60,E90, F85, and now F82) and does not drive the cars hard or put miles on them yet we have never come close to breaking even or making money...same as any other car I have bought for myself (except for two FJ cruisers my wife owned where we came close to break even). Perhaps we aren't buying "enough" car or special enough models. I feel fortunate that the '10 997.2 turbo I bought as a CPO six years ago has held decent resale but no way am I going to get close to breaking even considering the maintenance and upkeep/upgrade costs I have spent along with normal depreciation (which is hella better than most cars even). No worries there but I would love to know what we are doing wrong?! lol.
I'd wager that F80s and F82s are going to hold a strong value for a while. The G generation about to arrive is not well received.
HpIzKing (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 09:28 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,106 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Merit just posted on their IG story that they have a 997.1 GT3 with PCCB’s incoming. They didn’t post any additional info or pics. The pics they used is actually from a previous sale of a Rennlisters car. As they update info, I will try and post in here. May be a good chance for someone to get it if interested before it goes on their website or other websites.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
fijibubba (12-06-2020), HpIzKing (12-06-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:23 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 847 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
So you find it fascinating that others care about not flushing money down the toilet? Fascinating.
Yes, all cars are depreciating assets. I buy cars never, ever thinking about potential resale as it's my car. I could only care about that when selling. Who buys cars thinking for the prospective next buyer?
Old 12-07-2020, 09:25 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
"PNA said they were going to come down on speculators"

what does that even mean??
Remember the 911R debacle? People were literally buying cars just to flip them for enormous profits. PNA released something to the effect stating if you're a flipper, then you're gonna lose your ability to get these variants when they come out. Surely nothing will come of it or has come of it though.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 258 Posts

...Who buys cars thinking for the prospective next buyer?
Way, way, waaaaaaay too many owners. Its like not having sex with a girlfriend because you want her to be fresh for the next boyfriend.
Robocop305 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:19 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Originally Posted by Burren
Way, way, waaaaaaay too many owners. Its like not having sex with a girlfriend because you want her to be fresh for the next boyfriend.
Exactly. I started typing the same at first lol.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:48 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 411 Posts

You guys are making way too many generalizations. Not everyone has the same ownership objectives and not everyone has the same financial resources.
One person might be buying their dream car and want to keep it "forever" in which case resale is quite irrelevant as they will get many years of joy out of the car and depreciation is just the cost of that. Others like to switch up cars a lot so resale is a bigger factor when you're buying and selling every 12 months. if you get smoked every year on resale, the hobby may become prohibitively expensive. You'd be foolish not consider resale. it has nothing to do with "saving it for the next guy". It has to do with buying your next toy.
Some people are willing to make a big sacrifice to buy their dream car, and spend a good chunk of their net worth on the purchase. Those people are not making a fiscally responsible decision, although it may still be the right decision for them. Who are we to judge? Other people have a ton of money sitting around. A diversified portfolio has a cash component to it. If I have a lot of cash on hand, and I choose to allocate a small part of that to a hobby car purchase which has a low probability of material depreciation, am I really making a bad financial decision? It's still way cheaper than $30k annual membership at a country club. Spending money on things that make your life happy is not fiscally irresponsible, especially if the amount spent has zero impact on your financial security.
I buy cars opportunistically. I don't chase them. When a great opportunity pops up, I have cash on hand to immediately pull the trigger. It's the only way to lock in a great deal. I only sell my cars after I bought their replacement so there is never any pressure to sell in order to finance something else. I only buy the nicest, lowest mileage examples of what I consider to be the most desirable models. So far this strategy has worked very well and has allowed me to enjoy this hobby for essentially no cost. Would I be hurt if I lost money on my current or next car? Of course not. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't take cost and resale into consideration. After all, I'm just trying to be fiscally responsible. Cheers!!!

Last edited by 8Lug; 12-07-2020 at 11:51 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 8Lug:
bweSteve (12-07-2020), Hilton28 (12-10-2020), monk46 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:53 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Yes, all cars are depreciating assets. I buy cars never, ever thinking about potential resale as it's my car. I could only care about that when selling. Who buys cars thinking for the prospective next buyer?
I don't see how your question relates to the subject. One can BOTH use the car fully as intended AND care about depreciation -- they're not mutually exclusive. If you don't care about depreciation, then you must not care about price or what you get for your money either. Depreciation enters the cost of ownership equation just like price does. Do you just buy whatever you like regardless of price then leave it with the keys in and the doors open on the street after you're done with it? Must be nice to be you.
The following 2 users liked this post by hf1:
8Lug (12-07-2020), Hilton28 (12-10-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 12:13 PM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 111 Posts

@8Lug has it right. For me, I have a list of cars I want to own and experience. The list is quite long, so I'm only keeping a car from a couple months to a couple years at most. I sleep at night knowing that if I buy well and sell well, then it's a low cost hobby and one that with a business, a wife and a couple kids, that I can continue to do. If I was losing 5 figures a pop, then I wouldn't participate in the hobby. I love money too much

Buying really really well and selling really well on a few cars has also allowed me to make a couple purchases just out of want, knowing I'll probably lose a bit. I can rationalize that when I've made a good chunk of change on others. Hence I'm driving a 19 Carrera T right now. It was for sale locally, it was spec'ed right and I wanted it and made a bit of an emotional purchase. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

One other thing to keep in mind too, is that I buy all my cars outright, no financing. I find I care A LOT more about what I am paying and what I will sell it for, when I see $100k get deducted out of my bank account!!! But that also keeps me from rationalizing purchases I shouldn't be making without FU money while having young family... a new GT3 Touring

Anyhow that is my take. The great thing about cars is everyone has their thing, some people like Mustangs, some like Porsches, some like Lambos, some people purchase to hold forever and could care less about owning anything else because it is their dream car and some, like me, like to buy and sell and experience different ones. As they say, different strokes!

Last edited by 3_PDLS; 12-07-2020 at 12:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3_PDLS:
Burren (12-07-2020), bweSteve (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:04 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Merit just posted on their IG story that they have a 997.1 GT3 with PCCB’s incoming. They didn’t post any additional info or pics. The pics they used is actually from a previous sale of a Rennlisters car. As they update info, I will try and post in here. May be a good chance for someone to get it if interested before it goes on their website or other websites.
with any luck, dudes shopping GT3s currently read your post!
Old 12-07-2020, 01:16 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Remember the 911R debacle? People were literally buying cars just to flip them for enormous profits. PNA released something to the effect stating if you're a flipper, then you're gonna lose your ability to get these variants when they come out. Surely nothing will come of it or has come of it though.
thank you!

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...