Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020 | 03:11 PM
technologydriven
Rennlist Member

WP0AC2A98AS783398

I agreed on a purchase price of 119K on Tuesday, 12/1 with the Seller (Chicago MD) which he said was what he had “into the car”. I told him I was flexible if he needed a couple of thousand more. The Seller said he was the 3rd owner but the Carfax shows he is owner 5 which I told him was okay if the PPI and DME are clean.

I reached the independent shop on Thursday morning (the current Seller had a PPI completed about 6 weeks ago when he purchased the car) so I was set to proceed. I told the shop I would coordinate with the Seller so the over revs could be verified.

Thursday the Seller texted that he had signed a Bill of Sale for 122K and received a deposit with another Buyer. The Seller was not truthful about Tuesday’s call or the situation.

There are details I can’t go into but something is not right here.
Old 12-07-2020 | 04:46 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Burren
Way, way, waaaaaaay too many owners. Its like not having sex with a girlfriend because you want her to be fresh for the next boyfriend.
Originally Posted by s65e90
Exactly. I started typing the same at first lol.
Great analogy! And, as this Aston Martin advert points out:

"Fresh" is dependent on the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 12-07-2020 at 04:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
Joe Cho (12-07-2020), Robocop305 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020 | 11:41 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by technologydriven
WP0AC2A98AS783398

I agreed on a purchase price of 119K on Tuesday, 12/1 with the Seller (Chicago MD) which he said was what he had “into the car”. I told him I was flexible if he needed a couple of thousand more. The Seller said he was the 3rd owner but the Carfax shows he is owner 5 which I told him was okay if the PPI and DME are clean.

I reached the independent shop on Thursday morning (the current Seller had a PPI completed about 6 weeks ago when he purchased the car) so I was set to proceed. I told the shop I would coordinate with the Seller so the over revs could be verified.

Thursday the Seller texted that he had signed a Bill of Sale for 122K and received a deposit with another Buyer. The Seller was not truthful about Tuesday’s call or the situation.

first time I'm hearing of this negotiating strategy.

So you agreed on the price and then you offered a couple of thousand more if he needed it? And he ends up selling it to someone else? This is some bizarre stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020 | 12:31 AM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmann2380
@8Lug has it right. For me, I have a list of cars I want to own and experience. The list is quite long, so I'm only keeping a car from a couple months to a couple years at most. I sleep at night knowing that if I buy well and sell well, then it's a low cost hobby and one that with a business, a wife and a couple kids, that I can continue to do. If I was losing 5 figures a pop, then I wouldn't participate in the hobby. I love money too much

Buying really really well and selling really well on a few cars has also allowed me to make a couple purchases just out of want, knowing I'll probably lose a bit. I can rationalize that when I've made a good chunk of change on others. Hence I'm driving a 19 Carrera T right now. It was for sale locally, it was spec'ed right and I wanted it and made a bit of an emotional purchase. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

One other thing to keep in mind too, is that I buy all my cars outright, no financing. I find I care A LOT more about what I am paying and what I will sell it for, when I see $100k get deducted out of my bank account!!! But that also keeps me from rationalizing purchases I shouldn't be making without FU money while having young family... a new GT3 Touring

Anyhow that is my take. The great thing about cars is everyone has their thing, some people like Mustangs, some like Porsches, some like Lambos, some people purchase to hold forever and could care less about owning anything else because it is their dream car and some, like me, like to buy and sell and experience different ones. As they say, different strokes!
Fully agree on the financing part. It's different when the dough disappears from your account vs. when you go in to a dealer and all you do is sign and drive. Makes one a lot more price sensitive and keen on making sure not to get clobbered from the get go. Nothing to do with speculating or whatever - it's more along the lines of making sure not to get ripped off when you buy.

I will admit that the talk of financing these cars surprised me a bit … wouldn't have guessed many people still financed these at this point. It looks like maybe the opposite may be true. That and the mental gymnastics to justify a high mileage/storied purchase for a <10% "savings" on a nearly $100K 10+yr old sports were quite eye opening for me. Again, nothing wrong with higher mileage or storied cars , as long as the discount is sufficient, which for some of these examples, I generally think it's not. Obviously others disagree, and that's fine. It's what makes the discussion worthwhile.
Old 12-08-2020 | 01:46 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

The 996 and 997's are getting more rare by the day. There is currently a huge demand for analog, non-electronic assist vehicles that would give the driver that connection to the road feel. Modern cars are getting too large and electronically dependent, numbing the driving experience. The prices have shown to go up in the past few years.
Old 12-08-2020 | 03:12 AM
Gesler
Instructor

Not sure about that. It may be more about the talk that these cars are getting rarer and that modern cars are not analog than the actual reality of it. The prices came down around this time last year and like with all used cars, the prices have rocketed up again paradoxically during the pandemic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gesler:
lawrence1 (12-08-2020), nochain19 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-08-2020 | 09:22 AM
enve46
Instructor

Originally Posted by lawrence1
Fully agree on the financing part. It's different when the dough disappears from your account vs. when you go in to a dealer and all you do is sign and drive. Makes one a lot more price sensitive and keen on making sure not to get clobbered from the get go. Nothing to do with speculating or whatever - it's more along the lines of making sure not to get ripped off when you buy.

I will admit that the talk of financing these cars surprised me a bit … wouldn't have guessed many people still financed these at this point. It looks like maybe the opposite may be true. That and the mental gymnastics to justify a high mileage/storied purchase for a <10% "savings" on a nearly $100K 10+yr old sports were quite eye opening for me. Again, nothing wrong with higher mileage or storied cars , as long as the discount is sufficient, which for some of these examples, I generally think it's not. Obviously others disagree, and that's fine. It's what makes the discussion worthwhile.
Ill use someone else's money at 3-5% while mine is growing 10x this year in my investment account.
The following 2 users liked this post by enve46:
mikes70 (12-09-2020), Robocop305 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020 | 09:39 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enve46
Ill use someone else's money at 3-5% while mine is growing 10x this year in my investment account.
pls share details of consistent 30-50% ret

but yes i agree with you
The following 2 users liked this post by 9872SpeedYellowCS:
lawrence1 (12-08-2020), Therosser77 (12-12-2020)
Old 12-08-2020 | 10:23 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

WP0AC2A98AS783398

that really blows!

I had agreed on a price for an '07 green RS, dude was gonna take off some mods (to sell) and send me some pics....then he just faded away. no further correspondence. I didn't pursue, just figured it wasn't meant to be and, who does that anyway???
Old 12-08-2020 | 11:30 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
that really blows!

I had agreed on a price for an '07 green RS, dude was gonna take off some mods (to sell) and send me some pics....then he just faded away. no further correspondence. I didn't pursue, just figured it wasn't meant to be and, who does that anyway???
Happened to me me as well on a GTS. What made it worse is that it was a fellow Rennlister who screwed me. We agreed on price, I wrote up a bill of sale, then he makes up a BS story about having to travel for business and starts stalling. He ultimately tells me that he changed his mind and is not selling the car. Next thing you know, another Rennlister posts that he bought it. I contacted the buyer and asked what he paid for it, and it was $800 more than what the seller and I had agreed to. I guess that's what some people's word is worth. If the seller had just been honest, I would have gladly paid $800 or more to match whatever other offer he received after we had an agreement, but instead, the little snake just lied.

Last edited by 8Lug; 12-08-2020 at 11:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 8Lug:
pissedpuppy (12-08-2020), Robocop305 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020 | 12:14 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
that really blows!

Happened to me recently, all too common
Old 12-08-2020 | 01:22 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

WP0AC2A98AS783398

That's par for the course in the car sales world. Until money is exchanged no deal is solidified. If money is exchanged then all bets on. I've lost out on many deals because I went off of an oral agreement. It doesn't hold water and now with that knowledge, I work around it, by putting a deposit down and try to sign something binding.
Old 12-08-2020 | 01:43 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Originally Posted by lawrence1
first time I'm hearing of this negotiating strategy.

So you agreed on the price and then you offered a couple of thousand more if he needed it? And he ends up selling it to someone else? This is some bizarre stuff.
I laughed myself. I wish guys like this bought my stuff. "Sure I'll take a few thousand more". LOL
Old 12-08-2020 | 03:14 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gesler
Not sure about that. It may be more about the talk that these cars are getting rarer and that modern cars are not analog than the actual reality of it. The prices came down around this time last year and like with all used cars, the prices have rocketed up again paradoxically during the pandemic.
well, the production numbers alone dispute this (rarity vs newer GT cars) entirely.

and the analog feel vs digital was very real for me - so much so that I sold my GT4 after 40 miles and kept my '08 GT3 w/60K miles on it due to preference
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020 | 03:30 PM
Nemesis07r
Advanced

I figured I'd bring this vehicle back into question: https://www.porschenorthhouston.com/...AC2A94AS783088

They lowered the price and according to them in our conversation, they replaced the CCB's with new Gyrodisc pads and rotors, and removed the aged yellow clear bra that Burren noticed along with other flaws. I have requested for some additional pics of some areas of which Burren's post mentioned so I am just waiting for their reply. Aside from the Autoblip mechanism, the car also has a GMG rollcage which I did not notice until it was pointed out, but Doug also mentioned the alignment of the vehicle seems to be an aggressive track set up and that the vehicle seems to pose more questions than answers. PNH was not shy to mention that the previous owner(s) did track the car but of course how hard it was is up for speculation. Updated DME report shows just a tad over 200 range 1's but nothing in 2-6.

What is everyone's thoughts on this vehicle again given the changes that we know of, on the vehicle. Everyone's thoughts on what this vehicle's value actually is? Anyone local that is able and willing to put their eyes and hands on it again?

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...