Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 05:13 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,983 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchieDadRS
that's a nice Pumpkin.
PCCB is essential.
Not worth $320 though. that's just crazy.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,983 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Originally Posted by shrp
Hah, I knew that photo looked familiar:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-70/

Never a good sign when the seller of a 30k+ mile car borrows a photo from a listing with 600 miles on it
Jesus, 12 posts and already fitting in with the crowd. That's some good research on your part.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:03 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
yes, but it seems that at least half of base GT3 owners/buyers prefer the standard sport or adaptive seats so I'm not sure they actually make a difference in the value of the car. No doubt they are getting expensive as a stand alone part, but no one is paying $10k more for a GT3 with buckets, all else being equal.
Maybe the original take rate was around 50% or so but I’d venture to guess they’re a lot more desirable now than they were when these cars were originally getting specced. There’s a sizable premium for buckets on 991 and 992 GT cars and the take rate is much higher so that’s probably a decent barometer of current preferences. Plus most of the 997s have since been replaced as daily drivers, where you may want sport seats.

Whether or not the premium is $10k I’m not sure but I can’t imagine it’s super far off.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:25 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Vocan
Maybe the original take rate was around 50% or so but I’d venture to guess they’re a lot more desirable now than they were when these cars were originally getting specced. There’s a sizable premium for buckets on 991 and 992 GT cars and the take rate is much higher so that’s probably a decent barometer of current preferences. Plus most of the 997s have since been replaced as daily drivers, where you may want sport seats.

Whether or not the premium is $10k I’m not sure but I can’t imagine it’s super far off.
out of the 5 known 997 GT3 sales that exceeded $200k, 4 had the standard sport seats. Only the one bought by Snaveed for $213k had buckets.
When I was shopping for a GT3, I specifically did not want buckets. Maybe I’m in the minority but based on comments I’ve read in this thread over the years, I don’t think so. Now, for an RS, yes, seems that everyone wants the buckets for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by GlenGT3:
8Lug (09-01-2023), othertbone (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 08:09 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
out of the 5 known 997 GT3 sales that exceeded $200k, 4 had the standard sport seats. Only the one bought by Snaveed for $213k had buckets.
When I was shopping for a GT3, I specifically did not want buckets. Maybe I’m in the minority but based on comments I’ve read in this thread over the years, I don’t think so. Now, for an RS, yes, seems that everyone wants the buckets for sure.

I've had the buckets before, and while they looked the coolest, the sport seats are much more comfortable for me and more enjoyable.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:18 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Haven’t been tracking recent sales that closely to know which cars you’re referring to but the one I found on BaT that hammered for over $200k didn’t have PCCBs either. I think auction results are too dependent on the people in the room and clean low mileage cars that have a shot of bringing over $200k come up so infrequently that it’s hard to discern much of a pattern based on spec. It’s not like later GT cars where there are 100 for sale at any given moment. With the 997s, there were so few made and many are now keepers for their current owners that you’re almost always going to have to compromise on something (be it color, spec, etc) or you’ll be waiting years, if ever, for the perfect car to come around. With that being said, I do think that if two identically specced cars (other than seats) with similar mileage, color and condition came to auction at the same time, the one with buckets would bring a reasonable premium, just like how it is with every other generation of GT3s.

Not to say that there’s anything wrong with the sport seats as they’re fantastic. Everyone has their preferences and all that matters is what’s best for you.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:07 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

If I were shopping for a GT3 I'd also want the sport seats. They seem to fit the car better IMO. However for the RS, buckets are a must IMO.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:35 PM
heymikey
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shrp
Hah, I knew that photo looked familiar:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-70/

Never a good sign when the seller of a 30k+ mile car borrows a photo from a listing with 600 miles on it
Ahh you found it! Ya I thought the Avant Garde license plate looked familiar
Old 09-02-2023, 02:17 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Haven’t been tracking recent sales that closely to know which cars you’re referring to but the one I found on BaT that hammered for over $200k didn’t have PCCBs either. I think auction results are too dependent on the people in the room and clean low mileage cars that have a shot of bringing over $200k come up so infrequently that it’s hard to discern much of a pattern based on spec. It’s not like later GT cars where there are 100 for sale at any given moment. With the 997s, there were so few made and many are now keepers for their current owners that you’re almost always going to have to compromise on something (be it color, spec, etc) or you’ll be waiting years, if ever, for the perfect car to come around. With that being said, I do think that if two identically specced cars (other than seats) with similar mileage, color and condition came to auction at the same time, the one with buckets would bring a reasonable premium, just like how it is with every other generation of GT3s.

Not to say that there’s anything wrong with the sport seats as they’re fantastic. Everyone has their preferences and all that matters is what’s best for you.
Yes, it does seem as if mileage/condition matters more than spec due to scarcity for 997 GT3's. I also agree that buckets would be preferred but I'll take the better condition every time now that 997's are getter older.
The following users liked this post:
Vocan (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 02:18 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by othertbone
I've had the buckets before, and while they looked the coolest, the sport seats are much more comfortable for me and more enjoyable.
I really liked the 18-way…but I will say I did a 3 hour drive last weekend in the buckets and they were surprisingly supportive, thought my back might hurt but it didn’t
othertbone (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 08:06 AM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
I really liked the 18-way…but I will say I did a 3 hour drive last weekend in the buckets and they were surprisingly supportive, thought my back might hurt but it didn’t
Agree with this, I’ve been amazed how comfortable they are. Have yet to get out of the car with back pain, even on longer trips. That’s something I can’t say about the 14 ways I had on my 991.
Old 09-02-2023, 11:12 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 170 Posts

Interesting guess… I was curious myself how many cars were originally optioned with P03 - Sport Buckets Seats — turns out it was 162 of the 715 .2’s built for North America… ~22% take rate. I suspect there far more cars that now have sport bucket seats installed in them.
Vocan (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Body In White
Interesting guess… I was curious myself how many cars were originally optioned with P03 - Sport Buckets Seats — turns out it was 162 of the 715 .2’s built for North America… ~22% take rate. I suspect there far more cars that now have sport bucket seats installed in them.
I seem to remember somebody in this forum had made a comparison of auctions and found that all things being equal GT3s with buckets sold for less than cars with sport seats. My car came with the latter, and when I found out that buckets were going out of production I bought a pair and I'm storing my originals. And I figured the buckets would maintain their value.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:34 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts

I also wanted the sport seats rather than the buckets when I was searching for my car. I had the sport seats in every 997 I ever owned and I really like them. I would not have passed on my car if it had the buckets, but my preference was definitely the sports. Had I been shopping for an RS, I would have wanted buckets because to me the RS is intended for the track and for that primary use buckets make more sense.
Old 09-02-2023, 10:13 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
I bought sheets of foam and stuffed a couple layers of lumbar support in my old buckets, that worked for me. I'm 6'4" and just need the extra room the sport seats offered.

Wouldn't be a deal breaker though. I agree that I'd take the cleanest car I could find, rather than the spec. That's what I did with my .1 GT3

Last edited by othertbone; 09-02-2023 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...