Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 997.1S install instructions

Anyone know where I can find instructions for the install on a 997.1S. Want to get an idea how difficult it is to install the Accelerometer before ordering.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2015, 10:43 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Ferrell
Anyone know where I can find instructions for the install on a 997.1S. Want to get an idea how difficult it is to install the Accelerometer before ordering.

Thanks!
Here you go:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Installation Guide.pdf (663.8 KB, 231 views)
Old 12-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Originally Posted by robbieracer
Here you go:
Thanks a lot!
Old 12-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by robbieracer
Here you go:
Thanks for posting! You've beat me to it. I must be slacking.

I would like to add that the method posted is the "Front Mounting" method, which the accelerometer is mounted under the climate control unit. The Front Mounting method is the newer method. Previously we used the "Rear Mounting" method, which the accelerometer is mounted next to the ECU in the rear section of the car. We came up with the Front Mounting method recently because it can be difficult to do the Rear Mounting on cars with roll cage/roll bar. Both methods work the same as long as the accelerometer is in the middle of the car(between left to right).
Old 12-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Thanks for posting! You've beat me to it. I must be slacking.

I would like to add that the method posted is the "Front Mounting" method, which the accelerometer is mounted under the climate control unit. The Front Mounting method is the newer method. Previously we used the "Rear Mounting" method, which the accelerometer is mounted next to the ECU in the rear section of the car. We came up with the Front Mounting method recently because it can be difficult to do the Rear Mounting on cars with roll cage/roll bar. Both methods work the same as long as the accelerometer is in the middle of the car(between left to right).
Thanks Tom. And thanks for answering my emails too. You've been super helpful!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:49 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Couple more questions, if anyone knows..

Are there usually release notes that go along with each software update? To give an idea of what has changed. If so, where would I find these?

If not, what are the differences between the version with 3 options, versus the new one with 2?

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Are there usually release notes that go along with each software update? To give an idea of what has changed. If so, where would I find these?

If not, what are the differences between the version with 3 options, versus the new one with 2?

I believe the intent is to create a site dscsport.com where downloads are available for sharing.

AFIAK the difference between 2/3 mode is that the "middle" mode is "missing" from the 2 mode, but I am sure Tom can provide the definitive answer
Old 12-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

I had a few questions for the long run

1. How long do the dampers last? I know that depends on use, but let's say: how many track miles and how many street miles?

2. It seems normal dampers degrade slowly over time, can the active nature of these shocks somehow compensate to either make them last longer, or make them perform more consistently over time?

3. Can the computer tell when the shocks are toast?

4. What is the cost of a rebuild when they are done? Can they be rebuilt?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I believe the intent is to create a site dscsport.com where downloads are available for sharing.

AFIAK the difference between 2/3 mode is that the "middle" mode is "missing" from the 2 mode, but I am sure Tom can provide the definitive answer
Thanks for chiming in, Larry!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks for chiming in, Larry!
anytime! - I hope I got it right?

I just installed my V2 DSC in the GT3, and replaced the DSC into the GTS (having pulled it out when I broke the top mechanism) so I'm fully DSC'ed
now ...

looking forward to driving both cars with their new s/w!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:33 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

The new DSC Sport website will be operational in less than a week. The new site will inform of updates. But we don't expect to have any more updates for the 997 cars since we have been refining the 997 mapping for half a decade. The most recent update is going from 3 modes to 2 modes so that the mode switching is integrated to the factory instrument cluster display. It was a huge effort and breakthrough for us to establish this interface. We feel the effort was totally worth it to have factory level mode switch protocol. Not that there was anything wrong with the previous 3 modes(except for some who didn't care for the blinking LED) but looking at it now from where we are today it seem more "grassroots racing" like, which is where we started the company from. As our DSC company matures we feel that our products should evolve as well in refinement.

The difference- The 3 mode firmware started out as the engineers version which made the product development less time consuming to have an extra mode to test when track time is limited. At the time we didn't have the instrument interface capability so we could have actually made 4 modes, or 10 modes, or 20 modes if we had some way to indicate the modes besides watching the LED flash 10 or 20 times. The Engineers liked the 3 modes since they thought watching the LED flash 3x was manageable. We continued to offer the 3 modes until we established the instrument cluster display interface. As far as new DSC products go, the 3-mode version with blinking LED is outdated. The 2-mode version with factory mode switching protocol is current and is our proudly featured product. The new "Normal Mode"(softer mode) is same as the old mode 1. The new "Sport" is the old mode 2 and 3 merged. Keep in mind the modes are fully active and dynamic, which means the harder you brake, corner, and accelerate, the stiffer the car becomes. Its difficult to to understand until you experience it in person. It is an awesome product. You've just got to trust us on this. :-)

PS- If you don't like our mapping in each mode you are free to make changes via DSC software.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The new DSC Sport website will be operational in less than a week. The new site will inform of updates. But we don't expect to have any more updates for the 997 cars since we have been refining the 997 mapping for half a decade. The most recent update is going from 3 modes to 2 modes so that the mode switching is integrated to the factory instrument cluster display. It was a huge effort and breakthrough for us to establish this interface. We feel the effort was totally worth it to have factory level mode switch protocol. Not that there was anything wrong with the previous 3 modes(except for some who didn't care for the blinking LED) but looking at it now from where we are today it seem more "grassroots racing" like, which is where we started the company from. As our DSC company matures we feel that our products should evolve as well in refinement.

The difference- The 3 mode firmware started out as the engineers version which made the product development less time consuming to have an extra mode to test when track time is limited. At the time we didn't have the instrument interface capability so we could have actually made 4 modes, or 10 modes, or 20 modes if we had some way to indicate the modes besides watching the LED flash 10 or 20 times. The Engineers like the 3 modes since they thought watching the LED flash 3x was manageable. We continued to to offer the 3 modes until established the instrument cluster display interface. As far as new DSC products go, the 3-mode version with blinking LED is outdated. The 2-mode version with factory mode switching protocol is current. The new "Normal Mode"(softer mode) is same as the old mode 1. The new "Sport" is the old mode 2 and 3 merged. Keep in mind the modes are fully active and dynamic, which means the harder you brake, corner, and accelerate, the stiffer the car becomes. Its difficult to to understand until you experience it in person. It is an awesome product. You've just got to trust us on this. :-)

PS- If you don't like our mapping in each mode you are free to make changes via DSC software.
awesome product guys! I really like the fact that now the presence of the DSC is not detectable (by dealers) unless they pull the module itself!

Personally I think that 2 modes are fine, especially with the ability to reload maps via USB from a PC or Mac ...

I wonder when Porsche will buy you guys, or license your technology!

Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yargk
I had a few questions for the long run
I feel like I have answered these questions before either in this thread or another... here we go again :-) And I assume your questions are regarding OEM PASM/Bilstein Damptronic dampers.

1. How long do the dampers last? I know that depends on use, but let's say: how many track miles and how many street miles?
With hundred of thousands of street/track mile accumulated from our company's test car and our local customers' cars, I would say the OEM PASM shocks will last 90-100% of its original life. In some ways the shocks seals will last longer because DSC will opening up the bypass for a softer ride over bumps so that seals are not against higher pressure all the time. We have a few track customers who have gotten 100-some track days with DSC and Bilstein shocks and their cars are still handling great. How many exact mile is hard to say, same as asking how many miles people get from the stock engine, some get more and some get less.

2. It seems normal dampers degrade slowly over time, can the active nature of these shocks somehow compensate to either make them last longer, or make them perform more consistently over time?
Good question. All dampers degrade over time. With DSC software you can change the Shock Calibration values to compensate to some degree. If the damper is reacting slower over time you can use DSC software to change the G-force table and the Trigger Rate value.

3. Can the computer tell when the shocks are toast?
Yes. DSC software have diagnostic mode. If for example one shock completely fails, the system will default the other 3 shocks to full stiff so the driver immediately knows that something is wrong just by the feel. This fail default is same as factory PASM default.

4. What is the cost of a rebuild when they are done? Can they be rebuilt?
OEM Bilstein electronic shocks aren't rebuildable because parts aren't available. Fortunately, they are durable. We offer Tractive DDA electronic shocks(coilovers) as an upgrade, Tractive DDA are extremely durable, will out perform and outlast OEM shocks by huge margin and are rebuildable.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

I feel like I have answered these questions before either in this thread or another... here we go again :-) And I assume your questions are regarding OEM PASM/Bilstein Damptronic dampers.
Thanks! (Did a couple quick searches, but didn't look hard enough )
Old 12-29-2015, 08:29 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

The difference- The 3 mode firmware started out as the engineers version which made the product development less time consuming to have an extra mode to test when track time is limited. At the time we didn't have the instrument interface capability so we could have actually made 4 modes, or 10 modes, or 20 modes if we had some way to indicate the modes besides watching the LED flash 10 or 20 times. The Engineers liked the 3 modes since they thought watching the LED flash 3x was manageable. We continued to offer the 3 modes until we established the instrument cluster display interface. As far as new DSC products go, the 3-mode version with blinking LED is outdated. The 2-mode version with factory mode switching protocol is current and is our proudly featured product. The new "Normal Mode"(softer mode) is same as the old mode 1. The new "Sport" is the old mode 2 and 3 merged. Keep in mind the modes are fully active and dynamic, which means the harder you brake, corner, and accelerate, the stiffer the car becomes. Its difficult to to understand until you experience it in person. It is an awesome product. You've just got to trust us on this. :-)

Thanks again! Well I'm sold.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM