OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:13 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus
I came close to going with the Exe-TC's but just didn't have the disposable change at the time. And then Graham Gleeson tragically died suddenly, and i wanted to wait and see how the company would get on without the founder. Any news on that front?

And of course in the meantime, the DSC option came up...

Exe-tc seem to still be going strong without GG. They have been developing a system for a road 7GT3 and emailed me yesterday to say it was nearly complete and do I want to discuss further for my GT2....

Tom @ DSC, did you get the Tractives fitted, any news ?
Old 07-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Tom @ DSC, did you get the Tractives fitted, any news ?
Sorry I haven't had any spare time to write more reviews. I have had Tractive DDA coilover on for 2.5 weeks and ran 3 track days with them. In short, I like them a lot. They do more than my previous coilovers in term of being softer and stiffer when required. The previous setup was B16's with 500 lb longer front springs with deleted front helper springs, and with standard 720 lb B16 rear spring with helper and TPC rear top mount kit, it was pretty damn good with DSC. I am not pro driver like some of my colleagues but I ran 1.5 second quicker with Tractive DDA with 330/560 springs. Otherwise same tires, sway bars & alignment settings. The stability and compliance give me the confidence to drive harder corner entry and exit without drama.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Tractive DDA with 330/560 springs. .
What happened to the recommended 400/700 springs ?
The following users liked this post:
The Mick (03-20-2021)
Old 07-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What happened to the recommended 400/700 springs ?
I used them for a week and then the DSC developer told me to try 330/560. I found the peak stiffeness to be the same as the stiffer spring. The softer springs ride slightly better, the difference is marginal in my opinion. Both sets of springs rides nice.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The difference between 330/560 and 400/720 is minute when using active dampers with wide dynamic range. 400/720 does produce slightly firmer initial feel. Once the DSC software is available later this year, drivers can set the feel to their preferrence within a range of spring rates.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:15 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used them for a week and then the DSC developer told me to try 330/560. .
Why, was it to test the difference in spring feel (or lack of) ?

Is the "developer" Mike ?
Old 07-24-2015, 06:40 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom!

Following these developments as you know...

I used them for a week and then the DSC developer told me to try 330/560. I found the peak stiffeness to be the same as the stiffer spring. The softer springs ride slightly better, the difference is marginal in my opinion. Both sets of springs rides nice.
how do the Tractives with the 330/560 ride on the street compared to OE PASM dampers with DSC?

Once the DSC software is available later this year, drivers can set the feel to their preferrence within a range of spring rates.
Any idea when the new software will be available? As you know, i've got the earlier DSC on my car and don't want to have to update 2x (Tractives, then new user configurable software)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Why, was it to test the difference in spring feel (or lack of) ?
Why?? Because the process is a lot of fun. And because we want the data on how soft we can go while maintaining the peak stiffness. Customers have choices on spring rates, they are not fixed.

Is the "developer" Mike ?
Yes, Michael "Mike" Levitas is the developer and proud user of DSC on his multiple record setting 997.2 Cup car, 987.2 Boxster Spyder, 991 GT3, 981 Cayman S, Nissan R35 GTR, and his '67 Corvette RestoMod, and he has DSC hardware already made for his soon to arrive Cayman GT4. Talk about a guy who's got his heart and soul into cars!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:01 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi there!

Originally Posted by hesperus
how do the Tractives with the 330/560 ride on the street compared to OE PASM dampers with DSC?
OMG, its really no comparison. The ultra low stiction, 17x faster reaction, and reacts to changing command(s) during mid-stroke of the Tractive DDA paired with faster DSC commands simply produces superior damping. Last week a customer/friend came by to show off his BMW i8 and he gave me a ride in it.

During the ride(in comfort mode) I paid very close attention to how the car feels over bumps with the comparison to my car in mind. I have to say that my 997.1 GT3 with DSC/DDA 330/560 springs feels within 5% of how the i8 feels over bump with the most distinguishing difference being the energy from the bumps are distributed differently through the i8's monocoque CF chassis; the impact from the bumps feel more focused to the driver's seat whereas in my unitized-body 997 the energy is more scattered throughout one section of the car. With 400/720 springs I'd say the difference is 6.5 to 7%. Which to me is comparable to some European sport sedans(or saloons, as you Europeans call it). I believe that either spring selection is excellent for a street car that produces the stiffness of 900-1000 lb springs at high g-loads.

We have beta version of the user software already out. With feedbacks from beta users in the coming weeks we should have the software ready in the Fall. I'd so a DSC module in exchange for you, just send the old one back slow boat.

PS- My colleague Jordan is putting together a video to demonstrate the compliance of the Tractive DDA over bumps. Coming soon.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:25 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why?? Because the process is a lot of fun.
Great answer

I'm getting very tempted.....
Old 07-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Correction

I would like to make a correction to post # 79, 80, 81, 82, and 84 on the grounds of momentary dyslexia.

Correction:
I am not running 560 in-lb rear spring on my 997.1 GT3. I am running 616 in-lb rear springs. Which in metric measurement is 11.0 kg-mm or 110 Nm. Sorry about the error. The error came about from installing 560 in-lb(10.0 kg-mm or 100 Nm) rear springs on the mid-engine 987 Boxsters/Caymans that have less weight over the rear axle. As insignificant as this seems I wanted to provide the correct information to readers. Please excuse my posting error. Here's proof of the springs on my car-

Old 07-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great answer
Comes straight from the heart!
Old 07-25-2015, 04:27 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!
OMG, its really no comparison. The ultra low stiction, 17x faster reaction, and reacts to changing command(s) during mid-stroke of the Tractive DDA paired with faster DSC commands simply produces superior damping.
ugh! so tempted!

PS- My colleague Jordan is putting together a video to demonstrate the compliance of the Tractive DDA over bumps. Coming soon.
can't wait to see it!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:43 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey guys,

I know some of you have been eagerly waiting for this video; thank you for your patience! Tom and I went out for about an hour or more hitting some of the worst roads in town that we knew of and could find, so I had a lot of footage to sift through. In about 45 minutes of driving with the lid off the coffee cup, we managed to hit one series of bumps that caused ONE drop of coffee to spill - so we're going to chalk this very scientific experience up as a success!

At times, the cameras make it appear as though it's really bumpy inside the car, but the ride was so impressively smooth. You can certainly feel large bumps, but it's never jarring and there's never any oscillation or bounce. Try to focus on the coffee cup, rather than the camera as you watch the video. Even at times where the camera seems very shaky, the coffee maintains a surprisingly smooth surface. I drive a totally stock 2013 Mazda 3 as a daily myself, and although they are two very strange cars to make any sort of comparison between, the fact that the comfort of the GT3 even compares to my sedan is quite impressive.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Hey guys,

I know some of you have been eagerly waiting for this video; thank you for your patience! Tom and I went out for about an hour or more hitting some of the worst roads in town that we knew of and could find, so I had a lot of footage to sift through. In about 45 minutes of driving with the lid off the coffee cup, we managed to hit one series of bumps that caused ONE drop of coffee to spill - so we're going to chalk this very scientific experience up as a success!

At times, the cameras make it appear as though it's really bumpy inside the car, but the ride was so impressively smooth. You can certainly feel large bumps, but it's never jarring and there's never any oscillation or bounce. Try to focus on the coffee cup, rather than the camera as you watch the video. Even at times where the camera seems very shaky, the coffee maintains a surprisingly smooth surface. I drive a totally stock 2013 Mazda 3 as a daily myself, and although they are two very strange cars to make any sort of comparison between, the fact that the comfort of the GT3 even compares to my sedan is quite impressive.

997 GT3 with DSC Sport and Tractive DDA - Coffee Spill Test - YouTube
Now do the same with stock Porsche suspension as your control . Does seem v impressive. PM'd u yest.
Cheers
Mark

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM