Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019 | 11:55 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you for the info, Ray.

Respectfully speaking and in fairness, I believe Shockproof is not all bad, it has a very specific purpose, which is not for most G50 applications. Couple of first-hand experiences that Shockproof was a necessity was on a 993 GT2 race car with 860whp running sprint races. Ideally this car should be running a "bigger" transmission for the power that it makes but for practicality reasons we raced this car with a G50 from a 993 GT2 Evo. Since the hp and torque was significantly increased from factory spec the only way this G50 survived a race weekend was a bottle of Shockproof in the cocktail. Shockproof definitely isn't a household name in the Porsche community so for readers who isn't familiar with Shockproof, it is literally soft metallic particles suspended in the gear oil to "cushion" the meshing gears inside the transmission for extreme applications. Of course, the soft metallic particles is no good for the transmission synchros and bearings, but its necessary for keeping the gear sets and ring & pinion alive for the duration of each race. Another words, the shock from this level of acceleration transmitted to this size gears pushes the oil away and burns up the gears without assistance from soft metal particles acting as cushion. Obviously the gear oil needed changing after each race event with somewhat controlled amount of metallic particles on the oil. We also used a tiny bit of Shockproof in the mix as an additive in our 3-consecutive years racing in the Rolex-24 hours at Daytona, have to admit this was way overkill for NA GT3 Cup engines but every team did something for a potential gain in durability for these long races. We had no issues during the long races and after each 24-hour race the trans were torn down for rebuilds with almost zero wear shown. Lastly, this is second-hand info since its before my time in the racing industry, the senior race mechanics said some of the factory teams used Shockproof back in the old IMSA GTP days on the high-powered twin-turbo prototypes.

Funny thing, we still have a few bottle on collecting dust.

To Ray's point, Shockproof is unnecessary and can cause issues for G50's that doesn't fall into certain very specific and extreme applications.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 10-03-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2019 | 12:05 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rbahr
Hi Tom,

I am curious what you were running for spark plugs?

I pulled a couple of plugs and they seemed to be running a bit hot, so wondering about alternatives. The 2005 GT3 cup is calling for FR 5DTC, the 2009 Cup S is calling for 5DDC EA=0,8. I am guessing that EA is the gap in mm

The motor is a 3.8l like yours, and spends most of it's waking hours >5K rpm wise :-)

Thanks

Ray
I am using Porsche Motorsport 991.602.201.8A, which is the factory spark plug for 991.1 Cup and GT America 4.0L, last of the Mezger engine race cars.
Its a surface-fire plug. I don't have a spare one to take a pic of. Here's an image from FVD's website.

The Bosch #5 is already a pretty cold heat range. We use Bosch #5 for a number of turbo applications for track use as well.
I am using the PoMo surface-fire plugs because I think its more ideal for the increased static compression ratio from the 4.0L crankshaft.

Edit note: 991.1 Cup spark plugs can be used on 997 GT3 cylinder heads but won't fit on 996 GT3 cylinder heads because they are different diameter.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 10-03-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: See edit note
Old 11-21-2019 | 05:08 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Driver's log, Earth date 10.10.2019...
This post is long overdue. Back in early October I did my last track day of the year at Summit Point with Chin/NSX club . Chin has always out together great events, and this time I got to share the track with all 3 generations of NSX's and other hypercars. It was both an honor and a blast! Some of experiences to share from this event are:

1. Pirelli DH tires feel like garbage above 31psi hot (to me). This was first session where I started the cold pressure higher for the chilly October morning. I didn't feel like pitting, unbelting, to let air out then go back out so first session was a throwaway.

2. In the second session I ran my personal best at this track of 1:18.4 (previous best was 1:18.7). To be frank, I wasn't expecting it since I was unhappy with this lap. I know that T1 braking was sloppy and I got off throttle too soon in several places. I was bummed that I don't have the video of this lap to study because the camera's SD card was full. It was config'ed to delete old data for new, but it didn't do that. The rest of the day I didn't get clear laps so 1:17 will have to wait for next year.
You can see my flaws in this screenshot.

3. The Redline gear oil works true to its label! My diff is Guard GT2 Pro that doesn't have that much time on it. Last year the "static" breakaway torque check was around 55 ft.lbs with Mobil Delvac. With no other change it became 68 ft.lbs (a 20% increase!). Again, this is "static", that in itself doesn't; mean much, however, the feel on track is very noticeable; on exit with full throttle with steering wheel unwind both rear wheels lock like a kart causing tiny "fishtail" slides, and coming of the brakes into the turns the rear end also slides a tiny bit. The slides are in small, in inches. This feels like differential locking to me. I'm not sure if I like this characteristic. Time will tell.

4. NSX group photo. And a hypercar on fire.

5. The 4.0L engine is thirsty. That's one day, three 30-minute sessions.

See you next year, baby!

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 11-21-2019 at 06:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
911Jetta (11-26-2019), GM.RS (11-22-2019)
Old 11-21-2019 | 07:38 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Congrats! Sounds like you enjoyed your season...

FWIW, I have had limited success with Redline in trannys. I now will only go with the factory fill!

Ray
The following users liked this post:
Tom@TPC Racing (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019 | 07:48 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Driver's log, Earth date 10.10.2019...
This post is long overdue. Back in early October I did my last track day of the year at Summit Point with Chin/NSX club . Chin has always out together great events, and this time I got to share the track with all 3 generations of NSX's and other hypercars. It was both an honor and a blast! Some of experiences to share from this event are:

1. Pirelli DH tires feel like garbage above 31psi hot (to me). This was first session where I started the cold pressure higher for the chilly October morning. I didn't feel like pitting, unbelting, to let air out then go back out so first session was a throwaway.
On my 996 running the 275/645 and 315/680 Pzeros, I've found the sweet spot at 28 hot front and 30 hot rear. Anything over 32 is very slick... I start them at 21 cold both front and rear...
Tom@TPC Racing (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019 | 07:55 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I've found the sweet spot at 28 hot front and 30 hot rear. Anything over 32 is very slick... I start them at 21 cold both front and rear...
Yep. Back in Summer I've even started at 19 all around to get to 28-29 all around. Had to drive hard otherwise through traffic to keep them up...
Old 11-21-2019 | 11:19 PM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Nice one Tom, keep the updates coming!!

Quick question, are you happy with Motec data logging, and are you overlaying the data with the camera footage?
Old 11-22-2019 | 10:32 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Astrix
Nice one Tom, keep the updates coming!!

Quick question, are you happy with Motec data logging, and are you overlaying the data with the camera footage?
Thanks! Will do.

Yes, for what I am doing with this car I am very happy with the Motec CDL3 dash/logger. I am using the free i2 standard software, its enough to analyze and help improve my driving. There are of course more modern dash/logger on the market, but I actually like the look of the CDL3 because it looks like the dash in a real Cup car. The camera I am using is Motec V2. Both the dash and the camera are integrated to the car's CAN system. The data can be interlaced but at this time I have the dash and camera logging independently and I am using them independently because I haven't had the opportunity to play the software to interlace the video to the graphs.

The dash is a keeper for me. Originally I got the dash because it was(and possibly still is) the only dash that features CAN integrated shift light. If I had to do over for the camera I'd get VBOX HD.

Astrix (11-25-2019)
Old 11-22-2019 | 01:23 PM
ngng
Drifting

Thanks! Will do.

Yes, for what I am doing with this car I am very happy with the Motec CDL3 dash/logger. I am using the free i2 standard software, its enough to analyze and help improve my driving. There are of course more modern dash/logger on the market, but I actually like the look of the CDL3 because it looks like the dash in a real Cup car. The camera I am using is Motec V2. Both the dash and the camera are integrated to the car's CAN system. The data can be interlaced but at this time I have the dash and camera logging independently and I am using them independently because I haven't had the opportunity to play the software to interlace the video to the graphs.

The dash is a keeper for me. Originally I got the dash because it was(and possibly still is) the only dash that features CAN integrated shift light. If I had to do over for the camera I'd get VBOX HD.
Tom, FYI all of the AIM dashes have CAN support. Their SmartyCam also renders video on the fly with data.
Old 11-22-2019 | 05:15 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Hi Tom, great updates, thanks. A quick question, what size Pirelli slicks do you use? Do you get abs issues with your choice?
Old 11-24-2019 | 06:42 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ngng
Tom, FYI all of the AIM dashes have CAN support. Their SmartyCam also renders video on the fly with data.
Thanks. I know. I had an AIM Solo DL, even this entry level device had CAN. Back in 2017 when I was shopping for a dash and shift light package I considered AIM but at the time they didn't have their shift light ready.
Old 11-24-2019 | 06:57 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Hi Tom, great updates, thanks. A quick question, what size Pirelli slicks do you use? Do you get abs issues with your choice?
I've been using 645-18 and 680-18 for 8 track days. No ABS issue until the very last day which was self-induced when I switched the rear pads to a more aggressive compound that developed mild ice mode that only happened in the first 2 laps in the morning session when the surface was damped and cold. After 2 warm up laps the tire grip came in and braking was fine. I might switch the rear pads back.
I also have customer using 645-18 and 660-18 with no braking issue.
Old 11-25-2019 | 04:04 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Thanks Tom. Fyi I also run this size 645-18 and 660-18 with no braking issue. Was worried about 680 rear, but it sound like it works too.
Old 11-25-2019 | 04:27 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Thanks Tom. Fyi I also run this size 645-18 and 660-18 with no braking issue. Was worried about 680 rear, but it sound like it works too.
In theory 680 rear is more favorable because the ABS thinks the rear tires are tuning slower. Works for me
Old 11-25-2019 | 09:50 PM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Will do.

Thanks Tom, good feedback!

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3