Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:30 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Thanks!
The door panels were cut from generic sheets of carbon fiber. These are 1mm sheets for paneling that doesn't require structural support.
I did this 2 years ago, see post # 697 in this thread. Here's the short cut- https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...07-gt3-47.html
Thanks so much!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Since the emergency front trunk latch mechanism was deleted during the .2 center radiator duct conversion I have been feeling at some point I'll be locked out of the front trunk...so here's my solution to that- GT3 Cup hood pins!

Getting ready for surgery.

I measured(and contemplated) for a good two hours before drilling the first hole. Here goes...

So far so good.

Using the installed pin to put a mark on where to drill on the hood.

Using the mark from the pin tip I started a pilot hole from the under side of the hood.

Using the pilot hole as a guide I can drill the final size hole from the top.

I'm on a roll here.

Surgery drape off.

It is normal for the pin to be offset in the hole when the hood is fully closed because the hood's motion is not straight up and down, this offset allows for clearance of the motion to the hood hinges.

Have to precisely drill three more holes per disk.

Rivets.

Last rivet is for the safety clip.

The hood pins took around 5 hours to install. I know it sounds ridiculous to take 5 hours to drill a total of 10 holes but I did precise measurements as I went and there was a good amount of prep and clean up time. If I had a template it'd have make things quicker, but I didn't, and I don't think a universal template won't be perfect because every hood on every car is aligned slightly different. Anyway, I am happy with the work. And now I'll never be locked out by a dead battery.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:18 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

5 hours is about right Tom. That's about what it took me measuring everything precisely when I did the Cup pins on my carbon hood.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Sorry, there's something wrong, this post keeps messing up. For the 3rd time the contents were loss making this post. Will try this again later.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 07-08-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default Completing "The Look"

I hear the front dive plane look is in, so I'm gonna to rock it with these Porsche Motorsport 991 Cup GT America dive planes.

Unlike the aftermarket carbon fiber dive planes that I had before these GT America dive planes are made from plastic that high-strength double-side molding tape won't adhere well to at all. So, drilling is required. I'm not thrilled about drilling holes on a brand new expensive front bumper...I would have been okay with just using high-strength molding tape. Which by the way, has held up very well for me even to "slight" tire wall contact, and that's how the factory RS 4.0 dive planes are installed and factory tested to top speed I'm sure.

Using the screw and receiver installation method backing plates are required. I made the backing plates using scrap panels from last year. Molding tape would have been MUCH easier.

Getting closer to the look I desire. Prefect time to call it the day to the sunset. I love that the sun sets at around 9pm in the Summer even thought its crazy hot and humid!

Front splitter on for the sunrise.

Here's a little video I put together along the way. More to come.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:05 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

I don't trust my 3M tape. Can't get the dive planes to sit flush. Might have to drill!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I had no problem using 3m tape on my orbit dive planes and have had no issues with them at speed, which has been tested to 170 mph. These are also larger than the factory 4.0 ones.

Name:  photo844.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  2.34 MB
Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Deleted... I spent half hour making a nice post after completion most of the contents were loss in the post. Have to try again later. This is becoming a drag.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:16 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Three things before I load up for the first track event since the major transformation.

One- Had to do an impromptu Left Rear wheel bearing replacement that involved stripped axle threads. The axle nut took the threads out during loosening. This happened mid-Saturday when all the local Porsche Dealers' Parts Dept. were getting ready to close. They checked and there's no axle in the US. Even if there were I wasn't going to get one from a regional warehouse at 3pm Saturday anyway.

Totally an Ugh moment.

Gotta do whatcha gotta do.

This is a dirty job.

In the spirit of Clean Slate I replaced the Right Rear wheel bearing as well. Fortunately the Right Rear axle nut came off flawlessly. Now all four wheel bearings are zero hour fresh. Rear hub flanges too!

The worst part of this job for me was disassembling and re-assembling the parking brakes. Wished I didn't need/use them but I do. This job took 12 hours, which includes messing with the stripped axle and looking for a high-tension parking brake spring that launched 30-feet into an abyss of parts. Will need to check/do alignment again since the rear suspension parts where disassembled.

This is the best I can do. It will hold up fine. Thanks to my brother for bringing me a new axle nut and thanks to Porsche of Annapolis for having one in stock. Eventually I will replace both axles.

Two- After having the alignment done(the rear was out by couple mm), I installed rocker switches on the radio delete plate. Specifically I wanted to be able to turn off the Cup power steering pump for when I have the ignition on for other services to prevent unnecessary wear on the pump and to prevent unnecessary battery drain.

Installing the switches took no time but the wiring behind the plate and under the dash took hours.

While in the carbon fiber working mode I made filler plates for where the factory window switches were.

Three- My boss Mike Levitas, Developer of the DSC active suspension system(I have been using this system for 4 years and Loving it!!), Daytona-24 and IMSA GT3 Cup Champion, has a new DSC calibration file for me to test. He refers to this new cal file as "G Roll". He didn't fill me in on all the details but it has something to do with how the front suspension's roll rate is different than the rear roll rate to the G force and he's tuning the individual roll rate to further improve on an already awesome suspension system. This is a super advanced strategy that he's been developing on his 991 GT2RS and C7 ZR1. I say Let It Rip!!!

Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

How is your PS pump wired Tom? Mine only powers up with the engine running and after the alternator comes on line. As such, I can have the ignition ON without any drain due to the pump.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
How is your PS pump wired Tom? Mine only powers up with the engine running and after the alternator comes on line. As such, I can have the ignition ON without any drain due to the pump.
The two trigger wires on mine are powered by the fuse panel to ignition ON via the Tiptronic fuse slot which obviously had no previous use in this car.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:12 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

Ugh your photos have reminded me I need to do my electric PS pump.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Deleted.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 07-15-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:49 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
The worst part of this job for me was disassembling and re-assembling the parking brakes. Wished I didn't need/use them but I do.
I always thought that the OTC Grappler puller could fit around the parking brake and let you leave them on when pulling the hub (unlike the SIR puller horseshoe), when I did my Boxster wheel bearings the parking brake was the most fiddly and worst part for me too. I'm kind of bummed to see that is not the case, as the next time I have to do that job I was going to get the OTC Grappler puller.

Edit: looking at your picture I can see there is no room and you have to press on the area uncovered by removing the parking brake shoes to pull the hub, makes me wonder why I ever thought I could do it with leaving the parking shoes on. Maybe the Boxster rear hub/carrier is different in that way but I doubt it, Sorry for the extra noise on your thread
Old 07-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default The Moment of Truth- First Track Outing Since Transformation

I was totally nervous about this track event because I had a number of doubts in my mind that's been brewing for weeks and months. Even though I checked over every nut, bolt, and settings at least 3 times, I still have shadows running around in my head because so many changes were made(mostly in wee hours), no one else looked over my work, haven't driven this car on track in almost a year, and I have my life's saving in this car. There's a lot of what if's like what if the tires rub, what if ABS doesn't like the tires, what if the setup is out of whack, what if the engine Bank 2 doesn't like having Bank 1 camshaft as a core for the custom grind...it goes no. What can I say I am just a worrier by nature. I also have a student assigned to me and I have a few customers to take care of during the event. I needed help shaking down this car. So I asked boss. His answer- MIKE SKEEN.

Through TPC Racing, I was connected with professional race car driver and coach Mike Skeen. Skeen is one of the most competitive pro drivers today with recent achievement including Overall Win at 24-hours of COTA in a Mercedes-AMG GT3, Pole Position in IMSA Prototype Challenge, and standing coach for TPC Racing's IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge program. More info on Mike Skeen- http://www.mikeskeen.com/ I could not have ask for better cavalry than Skeen!

Here it goes-

Getting to Summit Point Raceway(the nearest track to me) at the crack of dawn. It rained all night the night before.

Wasn't sure about the weather so I kept the street tires on the car in case of wet track.

Skeen is not only a very talented driver, he's a down to earth nice fellow with a soft-spoken and low-keyed personality. While I was busy taking care of my student and customers, he went above and beyond to help me swap from street tires to Pirelli DH's and set tire pressure.

Getting ready to grid for the first run. I feel butterflies...

With tools in hand and "ready to go to work" mindset, I was clenching my teeth waiting for the car to go around for the first time. Hoping for the best and expecting the worst. To my relief, Skeen didn't pit. He drove lap after lap, chasing down car after car in the first session. The engine sounds very strong. I can finally breathe and the shadow of doubts are now gone! Here's the first time coming around the T10.

Skeen drove the car for the full 25-minute session. Afterwards, the debrief went like this-

Me: (In a thrilled tone) How's the car?
Skeen: (In his soft-spoken, low-keyed voice) The car is pretty good. It turns in well and there's no oversteer anywhere.
Me: How's the aero balance?
Skeen: (Again in a soft-spoken, low-keyed voice) Its pretty good.
Me: Is there anything you want to change?
Skeen: Well, if I had to, on exit the front lifts some but its not bad.
Me: Yeah I saw that watching the car from the tower. The front fender looks to lift like half inch when you go hard on the throttle exiting T10.
Skeen: This car's suspension is on the softer side but it puts down power very well and it also turns in well. The front lift is not a problem, this weight transfer sets the rear to grip. But if you want to make a damper setting change we can try it but the car is already pretty good, I don't want to lose that grip.

I made a change to the DSC Shock Calibration for the front dampers for the second session. Skeen said he felt the change, it was a little bit better, but the car was already a good car before the change and still has a lot of rear grip. He suggested that I start driving and let him coach me via data.

Here's Skeen driving the first session right off the trailer. That rear end is a grip monster! Like he said, it doesn't get lose anywhere. Watch the throttle bar in the video. Thanks the DSC Sport controller + Tractive coilovers for weight distribution management, TPC adjustable rear toe links for the "grip monster" rear toe curve, Guard Pro differential for the torque management, Stoptech Trophy brakes + Ti pistons that have absolutely zero fade, and Forgeline GS1R wheels + Pirelli DH's to go round and round. I think we've got a pretty good setup here.

For those not familiar with Summit Point, these laps are not too shabby for a 3305-lb street car(with driver) that retained AC, power windows, and cup holders. I am so honored to have Skeen working with me to shakedown the car and to coach me. It was a truly exceptional experience. I can finally sleep well now.

PS- Mike Skeen is for hire. www.mikeskeen.com

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 07-16-2019 at 08:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
bweSteve (07-15-2019), GM.RS (07-15-2019), MezgerGT3 (07-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3