Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

FBI tracking device. Quick delete those pics.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=354840
Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
wouldn't believe I have 500/700 springs with a massive TPC front bar set one from full stiff.
What is the actual logic behind running such front sway bar? I run regular gt3 sway bar with gt2 rear bar at middle hole and after trying all combinations find at one from stiff it only leads to car lifting inside turn wheel and sacrificing turn-in grip this way. Best setup i feel is to have front one hole from soft. Why do you do use such a stiff setup in front?

Btw your track photo on page 20 illustrates that precisely, as you stated you were on street tires and you're lifting inside wheel. do you think it improves lap times? I did not get same conclusion after setting my 997.1 gt3 to full stiff, it makes you scrub front tires a lot prior to entering turn and overall, not sure, did not produce faster times or faster feel.

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-20-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great information, a ton of great info. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys,

I'm doing some wiring on my car for data and found this thing next to the fuse panel. It's definitely non-factory. It has numbers on it but doesn't have manufacturer's name. It has three wire(power, ground, and something else). My guess is its some sort of lojack or alarm device or GPS but I don't know for sure. Can anyone tell me what it is? I am completely clueless about non-performance related accessories.

Thanks,
Tom

Edit: oops forgot to attach photos, here they are.
Wish I could help but I have no clue.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:38 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
FBI tracking device. Quick delete those pics.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=354840
Thanks!

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 10-21-2014, 01:34 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by utkinpol
What is the actual logic behind running such front sway bar? I run regular gt3 sway bar with gt2 rear bar at middle hole and after trying all combinations find at one from stiff it only leads to car lifting inside turn wheel and sacrificing turn-in grip this way. Best setup i feel is to have front one hole from soft. Why do you do use such a stiff setup in front?

Btw your track photo on page 20 illustrates that precisely, as you stated you were on street tires and you're lifting inside wheel. do you think it improves lap times? I did not get same conclusion after setting my 997.1 gt3 to full stiff, it makes you scrub front tires a lot prior to entering turn and overall, not sure, did not produce faster times or faster feel.
See page 4. It comes down to driving style and preference. This approach is less common for lapping days, even in racing it works for some pro drivers but not others. Gotta stick with the setup that feels good to you and optimize it.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Whatever this thing is its gone! Can't believe I traced the third wire through the dash and up to the door molding and the a$$hole who installed it drilled 3 hole in the body. The 3rd hole wasn't even necessary(not that any of them are), there's a factory ground right below it! Check out the horrible solder job that peels off by hand. I should be using what little free time I have to install the data system and not be fooling with this. Deep breath. Another day.
Attached Images      
Old 10-21-2014, 07:10 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can see the OEM wire wasn't even tinned properly- muppet installer, good job you found it and relegated it to the bin.

Don't complain on the time... it was a free safety upgrade as well as 'free' weight saving.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

See page 4. It comes down to driving style and preference. This approach is less common for lapping days, even in racing it works for some pro drivers but not others. Gotta stick with the setup that feels good to you and optimize it.
not sure. only outcome from such over stiffened front bar was a lack of front control in hairpin turns and overall lack of control as soon as you step on the gas when weight balance moves to rear. plus most importantly I did not sense any improvement of mid-corner grip that for my car is the only element that makes me fast and allows me to catch cars with more HP under the hood - max mid corner grip is everything I tune it for.

Also, if it presumes you are not supposed to steer car at all when you are accelerating it may work for some, but it is an odd style of driving, I do not think it would work for me. May be I do not understand something but this TPC approach with a huge front bar was always something difficult for me to understand.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Got to finish the Aim Solo DL installation after work today. The installation was a breeze after removing the lo-jack type contraption last night. Wired and soldered the CAN +/- and used a fuse pigtail lead for the power. Put a notch on the trim panel so it doesn't pinch the power wire. Thank goodness it was easy.

Need more time to play with config, don't think I'm getting all the CAN inputs right now.
Attached Images    
Old 10-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default A side note...

Was working on a 997 Cup today and thought it was neat that the factory put the accelerometer in the race cars in almost the same location we put the DSC accelerometer. I swear we came up with the location without the influence of the factory race car. They too use Velcro to soften vibration for smoother signal. Neat.

I've never replaced on of these but I bet it cost a grand or more.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2014, 10:52 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

That's pretty cool! Where is the factory accelerometer located in the .2 cars?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Got to finish the Aim Solo DL installation after work today. The installation was a breeze after removing the lo-jack type contraption last night. Wired and soldered the CAN +/- and used a fuse pigtail lead for the power. Put a notch on the trim panel so it doesn't pinch the power wire. Thank goodness it was easy.

Need more time to play with config, don't think I'm getting all the CAN inputs right now.
I installed mine same way, but used a 4 connector locking plug (any good electronics store) so I can remove the entire device + the cable and still have the tapped CAN +/- and the power +/-. Or move to another car and just install with the same plug.

AIM device is a fantastic learning tool...

If you've used it much would love to see some of the views you like to use for data analysis (if you're willing to share some of the secret sauce!)
Old 10-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ilko
That's pretty cool! Where is the factory accelerometer located in the .2 cars?
It is also known as a Yaw Rate or Yaw sensor. All 997 and 987 street cars have the sensor located on the transmission tunnel ahead of the shifter. The location of the sensor is not as important as the calibration and the program for the location.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I installed mine same way, but used a 4 connector locking plug (any good electronics store) so I can remove the entire device + the cable and still have the tapped CAN +/- and the power +/-. Or move to another car and just install with the same plug.

AIM device is a fantastic learning tool...

If you've used it much would love to see some of the views you like to use for data analysis (if you're willing to share some of the secret sauce!)
Great idea on the connector. Thanks! I'll get a 4-pin deutsch connector and install it later.

I have a lot of customers who use this tool, this will be the first time using it myself so have to learn my way with the functions. I am planning on comparing lateral-g force between stock PASM module and DSC using the same tires and driving the same line.

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3