Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts
Default Just when I thought things were good...

Today must be Drive Your GT3 To Work Day. My boss Mike Levitas pulls up in his 991 GT3(TPC's latest development car) and blocks me in. He then gets out of his car with a laptop in hand and said "Can I drive your car?" I said "Sure. Only if you let me drive yours". I was only kidding I didn't want to drive his car because I couldn't even afford to replace one headlight if it got hit by a stone! Seriously this car has patches of silky felt carpeting on the side of the freaking tires!! Next time you see a 991 GT3 touch the sidewall of the tires!!

He proceeded to drive my car while playing with his laptop, came back in a few minutes and said "I made some changes to your DSC mapping, think you'll it". The way he explained to me was he thought the 991 GT3 is an incredible street car with crazy high grip limit and it is super composed over bumps. So he had an epiphany on the damping strategy the factory engineers used as he was driving and feeling out the new car. He then applied what he thought he felt on the 991 GT3 to my car! In Mode 1 & 2 he changed the damping forces where the sway bar rates begin to cut in and got rid of the very tiny jitter when driving over a series of dips that are close together(such as highway rumble strips and concrete patches that are wavy) with my 500/700 springs. Driving over the nose of a large bump(like a wide speed bump) or hill the new damping map will "catch" the car just before the nose of the peak and stops oscillation before it even begins! Like I'm expecting oscillation but it doesn't happen! Quite an amazing feeling. I think this will translate to more consistent tire contact pressure for track use.

He also got rid of the very stiff Mode 3 that I'd likely never use and made Mode 2 my new Mode 3 except with more rear damping force to transfer load to the front only during corner entry to eliminate entry push(understeer) for when I get my LSD built. Driving on the street I can definitely feel the difference. People wouldn't believe I have 500/700 springs with a massive TPC front bar set one from full stiff. In all three modes, in the lower input ranges(g-force, steering angle, brakes, etc.) my car rides like an upscale luxo/sport sedan! Mode 3 is slight stiffer than 1 & 2 but nothing like it was before. And at medium aggressive speeds I can feel the rear shocks smoothly standing up to transfer weight to the front for a very brief moment(this is actually turning at slight up hill!) as the car rolls into a corner and then puff its gone right as the car sets. I know I work for TPC and all but I am writing this as a gearhead sportscar enthusiast when I say, Wow. Mr. Levitas, you f**king rock! :rockon

So just when I thought things were good it got a mile better. I can't wait to go to the track in October!
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Awesome to hear, is this something that is specific to your car only, or all the DSC boxes you sell going to be updated with this? And that leads to another question, are these DSC boxes easily upgradeable without having to send them back for if/when Mike does stuff like this.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Awesome to hear, is this something that is specific to your car only, or all the DSC boxes you sell going to be updated with this? And that leads to another question, are these DSC boxes easily upgradeable without having to send them back for if/when Mike does stuff like this.
Nope not just for me, anyone with DSC can get the new mapping for free if they want it. Some people are happy with the current mapping. And some people like and use the stiff Mode 3. The new Mode 1 & 2 mapping may not even make a difference when using stock springs and sway bars. For now will have to mail the box in for updates. In the future our goal is to have maps that can be downloaded online but it's going to take some time to get there.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 09-04-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:40 AM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Tom,

I am going to skip my lunch and stop by on Friday to check out Mike's 991 GT3 and your car!

-KJ
Old 09-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Nope not just for me, anyone with DSC can get the new mapping for free if they want it. Some people are happy with the current mapping. And some people like and use the stiff Mode 3. The new Mode 1 & 2 mapping may not even make a difference when using stock springs and sway bars. For now will have to mail the box in for updates. In the future our goal is to have maps that can be downloaded online but it's going to take some time to get there.
that would ROCK!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Today must be Drive Your GT3 To Work Day. My boss Mike Levitas pulls up in his 991 GT3(TPC's latest development car) and blocks me in. He then gets out of his car with a laptop in hand and said "Can I drive your car?" I said "Sure. Only if you let me drive yours". I was only kidding I didn't want to drive his car because I couldn't even afford to replace one headlight if it got hit by a stone! Seriously this car has patches of silky felt carpeting on the side of the freaking tires!! Next time you see a 991 GT3 touch the sidewall of the tires!!

He proceeded to drive my car while playing with his laptop, came back in a few minutes and said "I made some changes to your DSC mapping, think you'll it". The way he explained to me was he thought the 991 GT3 is an incredible street car with crazy high grip limit and it is super composed over bumps. So he had an epiphany on the damping strategy the factory engineers used as he was driving and feeling out the new car. He then applied what he thought he felt on the 991 GT3 to my car! In Mode 1 & 2 he changed the damping forces where the sway bar rates begin to cut in and got rid of the very tiny jitter when driving over a series of dips that are close together(such as highway rumble strips and concrete patches that are wavy) with my 500/700 springs. Driving over the nose of a large bump(like a wide speed bump) or hill the new damping map will "catch" the car just before the nose of the peak and stops oscillation before it even begins! Like I'm expecting oscillation but it doesn't happen! Quite an amazing feeling. I think this will translate to more consistent tire contact pressure for track use.

He also got rid of the very stiff Mode 3 that I'd likely never use and made Mode 2 my new Mode 3 except with more rear damping force to transfer load to the front only during corner entry to eliminate entry push(understeer) for when I get my LSD built. Driving on the street I can definitely feel the difference. People wouldn't believe I have 500/700 springs with a massive TPC front bar set one from full stiff. In all three modes, in the lower input ranges(g-force, steering angle, brakes, etc.) my car rides like an upscale luxo/sport sedan! Mode 3 is slight stiffer than 1 & 2 but nothing like it was before. And at medium aggressive speeds I can feel the rear shocks smoothly standing up to transfer weight to the front for a very brief moment(this is actually turning at slight up hill!) as the car rolls into a corner and then puff its gone right as the car sets. I know I work for TPC and all but I am writing this as a gearhead sportscar enthusiast when I say, Wow. Mr. Levitas, you f**king rock! :rockon

So just when I thought things were good it got a mile better. I can't wait to go to the track in October!
does this mean that the dash switch (and associated ctr display notification) will now function with the DSC?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
does this mean that the dash switch (and associated ctr display notification) will now function with the DSC?
Sorry but I mentioned nothing of the sort. I am afraid to say hacking into the instrument cluster display is not in our plans at this time. I know this will deter some people from buying the product(or just at first) but personally I don't miss losing the "Sport" indicator for the shocks at all. Even when I had the stock PASM module I always referred to the LED on the button when I want to switch modes. It has been my experience as well as other DSC users that we try different modes at first to feel the difference and how it performs in different conditions and after some time we develop a feel to know which mode we are in, kind of like knowing what gear you are in without looking at the shift lever. In regard to the blinking LED to indicate modes, the developer likes blink codes as a simple visual indication derived from military protocol.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Sorry but I mentioned nothing of the sort. I am afraid to say hacking into the instrument cluster display is not in our plans at this time. I know this will deter some people from buying the product(or just at first) but personally I don't miss losing the "Sport" indicator for the shocks at all. Even when I had the stock PASM module I always referred to the LED on the button when I want to switch modes. It has been my experience as well as other DSC users that we try different modes at first to feel the difference and how it performs in different conditions and after some time we develop a feel to know which mode we are in, kind of like knowing what gear you are in without looking at the shift lever. In regard to the blinking LED to indicate modes, the developer likes blink codes as a simple visual indication derived from military protocol.
Actually I never said that you did make any such comment Tom, I asked you,
what I thought was a reasonable question, apparently not given your rather
strident and offensive (to me at least) tone.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Actually I never said that you did make any such comment Tom, I asked you,
what I thought was a reasonable question, apparently not given your rather
strident and offensive (to me at least) tone.
Larry, I am sorry it came across that way. It was not my intention.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

no worries ...
Old 09-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

BTW I think this product is AWESOME, and I am amazed that you guys are able to undertake this most technical of modifications, you guys are taking it beyond what the factory did!

kudos!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

BTW I think this product is AWESOME, and I am amazed that you guys are able to undertake this most technical of modifications, you guys are taking it beyond what the factory did!

kudos!
Thank you for your very kind words. I will forward them to the developer, he deserves all the credit. In the coming weeks there should be reviews of DSC by more rennlist members.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your very kind words. I will forward them to the developer, he deserves all the credit. In the coming weeks there should be reviews of DSC by more rennlist members.
OK I want one!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

OK I want one!
One on the way! Looking forward to your initial feedback and working with you.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default Does anyone know what this is?

Guys,

I'm doing some wiring on my car for data and found this thing next to the fuse panel. It's definitely non-factory. It has numbers on it but doesn't have manufacturer's name. It has three wire(power, ground, and something else). My guess is its some sort of lojack or alarm device or GPS but I don't know for sure. Can anyone tell me what it is? I am completely clueless about non-performance related accessories.

Thanks,
Tom

Edit: oops forgot to attach photos, here they are.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3