Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 are burning up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:20 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well said blake

only other thing macca, is that a recall doesnt damage the entire porsche brand. toyota, ford etc have had massive recalls worse than this and they still sell camry's, f-150's etc like crazy
Old 02-21-2014, 01:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Even if it does affect the whole brand?! So what?! Some act as if they are married to Porsche...
Porsche will recover easily from this. They are a strong company,part of a GIANT Corporation(VW).
Old 02-21-2014, 02:18 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
BlakeX100000000. Guys over there are mostly GTS guys and don't no the difference between PFC08, Cup lips, Guard LSD and deviated stitching in purple!
Here, judging others is so common a default mode that the Rolling Stones put it to music in the song Satisfaction:

"He can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke ... the same cigarettes as me."

Saves time.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
CKit
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

No Hoosiers for 991 GT3s. I called Hoosier and they don't plan on making 20" ones in the foreseeable future.
Picked up a 997.2 GT3 last month and cancelled my 991 GT3 deposit today. I like having a reasonable expectation of durability and I don't want to be a guinea pig.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here we go again... "991 GT3 are burning up !!", "purist", "Hard core track guys" all phases to insight extreme positions/passions on all sides...

I have a 1970 911 with a 2.0 litre S motor, 901 dog leg gearbox, carbs, no power assist or electronics. I could certainly consider myself a "purist"
I race a 2010 Radical SR3-RS sports racer as well as the Porsche above in vintage, I guess I can be called "hard core track guy".
I have driven the previous generation GT3, 458 Italia, 430 Scud, Aventador on track. All of these cars have had their issues yet I've enjoyed them all.
I have a 991 GT3 on order. By all accounts it's going to be a great car that I am looking forward to learning and driving the crap out of...Yes, it's having it's issues just like a lot of other great cars before it but it's not the end of the world.

My long winded point is, we are all car enthusiast who enjoy the driving experience. Let's not diminish the experience and preferences of others to feed our own egos and positions...

Carry on....

Old 02-21-2014, 04:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

FWIW, Porsche will fix this and it will be back to business as normal.

It is a giltch, (a big glitch) but should be straight forward.

Should be smooth sailing after this.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
What many of you fail to recognise in your endeavours to defend the car you have in you garage against the one you have never driven is that a GT3 recall damages the whole brand as well as the general Gt3 moniker. Most people have no idea what one is the new one and Porsches recently slipping QC is a slurr on the whole brand.
The interesting thing is many of you think you may be having a laugh at the expense of the 991 GT3 guys and some of you may be delusional enough to think your 997 GT3 just went up in price......but actually it didn't and the only thing that went up in price again was the old air cooled on the grounds that new Porsches are all rubbish.
Essentially no one wins from this!
Disagree there Macca. While most people in the general population probably have no idea about the differences between different versions of the GT3. Most people who actually go hunting for one will know the differences between the different generations. I have met quite a few 997 and 996 GT3 owners now (not any 991 GT3 owners), all of them were pretty knowledgeable of their rides (unlike a lot of BMW drivers, ugh!). People who might have got the 997 GT3 cause it was the latest bad *** Porsche have probably long moved on.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
well said blake

only other thing macca, is that a recall doesnt damage the entire porsche brand. toyota, ford etc have had massive recalls worse than this and they still sell camry's, f-150's etc like crazy
Yes--but one major difference: in none of the recalls the owners were told to stop the car immediately..there are rumours that there are also issues with the RWS. If it was just the connecting rods - and since only 2 burnt - the other 7XX could have still driven to the Porsche centre..but no - the advice is: stop the thing immediately.

You wont see any 991 GT3 back on the roads for a few weeks - if not months. They havent officialy closed the investigation at Porsche..so after that one they know what it is exactly - they need to ask the supplier for another batch of what it will be exactly..this will take time and wont happen in 48 hours.

Otherwise, blake is exactly spot on.

I for sure do not agree with everything Macca writes - but there are for me 2 very strong points written by him:

1) this is likely to be the last GT3 of Porsche..from what I hear..this is highly probable. Afterwards we can only buy a 200k 960 (if it arrives one day)..but we wont see many of these on the tracks either..so a real bargain & reliable track machine wont arrive anymore from Porsche - Game over track machine...

2) he writes - "we - no one will win from this" - there is a lot of truth in this. With such an expensive recall already for Porsche - it will probably be the nail in the GT3 coffin for Porsche.."VW Management: you see - first we let you invest lots of money in the 991 gT3, then we only sell 800 and on top of that we have a huge recall which cost us X millions + the image problem - better stop the whole GT3 anyhow - Macan, panamera, cayenne bring us more profit"..something like this. I fear the worst here..and in the end no more GT3 at all..but it was Porsches mistake in the end - not Rennlist ..

Lets see how all this will develop..but I strongly believe that Porsche wont be making much /if any - money from the 991 GT3 after all this. Maybe we wont have a GT3 - neither a 960 in 3 years..Porsche can pefectly survive without it..(and just have an LMP1 Le MAns car for the show)..keep this in mind..

its sad..

PS: no 997 GT3 are probably not going up in price..if lucky they can keep the current levels..but the 991 GT3 will suffer a very bad depreciation in the first 2 years..- I predict..
Old 02-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by P_collector

1) this is likely to be the last GT3 of Porsche..from what I hear..this is highly probable. Afterwards we can only buy a 200k 960 (if it arrives one day)..but we wont see many of these on the tracks either..so a real "bargain & reliable" track machine wont arrive anymore from Porsche - "Game over track machine".

2) he writes - "we - no one will win from this" - there is a lot of truth in this. With such an expensive recall already for Porsche - it will probably be the nail in the GT3 coffin for Porsche.."VW Management: you see - first we let you invest lots of money in the 991 gT3, then we only sell 800 and on top of that we have a huge recall which cost us X millions + the image problem - better stop the whole GT3 anyhow - Macan, panamera, cayenne bring us more profit"..something like this. I fear the worst here..and in the end no more GT3 at all..but it was Porsches mistake in the end - not Rennlist ...
1) 960 will be way above 200k if it ever appears.

2) another way they could go is to recognize that a 9k RPM "motorsport" motor should be built by the motorsport division instead of on a production line and should actually be tested in motorsports.

Sadly your alternative seems more likely than mine.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
I'm not buying it Macca.... The 991 GT3 board is loaded with guys who DO NOT have extensive track time in 996 GT3s or 997 GT3s. If you recall back in 2003 (when the 996 G3 board was created), and then again in 2006 (when the 997 GT3 board was created), there was a significant presence of Porsche DE guys moving from the 964, 993 and early 996 platform to the GT3. By mid production, the VAST majority of threads were about track modifications and proper driving habits. Clearly, it was a track enthusiasts cars.

What is unique about the 991 GT3 is that 1) there is a MASSIVE number of 996 GT3 & 997 GT3 owners & drivers who are NOT moving to that car (or that board), and 2) that the average board member on the 991 GT3 board DOES NOT TRACK.

Be sensible Macca - why is that?

1) DE guys don't trust the new engine....yet. (Why is this GT3 engine NOT in the race cars? First time in GT3 production history this has happened.)
2) DE guys don't trust the 4 wheel steering...yet.
3) GT3 guys are PISSED that manual is no longer available. What happened to choice and evolution (not revolution)?

Porsche has alienated a die-hard yet rabid audience. This new GT3 is more akin to the next generation GTS than a GT3. And to the purists - that is garbage.

Will the 991 GT3 sort itself out over time? Absolutely. But you can't deny that they 1) alienated a significant audience of hard core track guys, and 2) are appealing to a wider audience of buyers.

Be sensible Macca.
+1
Old 02-21-2014, 09:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The 991 GT3 board is abuzz with how great Porsche is for such jiffy service! Seriously?

This is a reflection of the attitude of the new GT3 - namely design a softer, gentler GT3 for a softer, gentler clientele... Damn shame. AP is off my Christmas card list.
I'm not buying it Macca.... The 991 GT3 board is loaded with guys who DO NOT have extensive track time in 996 GT3s or 997 GT3s. If you recall back in 2003 (when the 996 G3 board was created), and then again in 2006 (when the 997 GT3 board was created), there was a significant presence of Porsche DE guys moving from the 964, 993 and early 996 platform to the GT3. By mid production, the VAST majority of threads were about track modifications and proper driving habits. Clearly, it was a track enthusiasts cars.

What is unique about the 991 GT3 is that 1) there is a MASSIVE number of 996 GT3 & 997 GT3 owners & drivers who are NOT moving to that car (or that board), and 2) that the average board member on the 991 GT3 board DOES NOT TRACK.

Be sensible Macca - why is that?

1) DE guys don't trust the new engine....yet. (Why is this GT3 engine NOT in the race cars? First time in GT3 production history this has happened.)
2) DE guys don't trust the 4 wheel steering...yet.
3) GT3 guys are PISSED that manual is no longer available. What happened to choice and evolution (not revolution)?

Porsche has alienated a die-hard yet rabid audience. This new GT3 is more akin to the next generation GTS than a GT3. And to the purists - that is garbage.

Will the 991 GT3 sort itself out over time? Absolutely. But you can't deny that they 1) alienated a significant audience of hard core track guys, and 2) are appealing to a wider audience of buyers.

Be sensible Macca.
This is load of crock. Just because the new buyers of the car don't happen in be in this 'cool' circle of 997 guys who have posted here for years, doesn't mean the new set of buyers have no interest in DE/tracking. Being a hard core track guy does NOT equate to disliking PDK, RWS, or the new engine. Just maybe in a small clique of 997 guys who love to circle jerk each other about how much their cars are worth. Are you telling me that when the 997 was introduced, that the 996 guys weren't ******* it for being a 'softer', more street friendly car? You guys keep on forgetting that there are ton of garage queen and posers that own the 997 GT3 as well. This is one of the reasons I get a kick out of videos of 997 GT3 guys driving like grandmas or total jackasses at the track. Guess what? Not all of you guys are the great drivers you think you are just because you happen to row a manual and own a 997. You can high five each other that you can heel toe, but when you run 2:15 over the top at thunderhill with a 3.9L 'beast' while heel/toeing.... that's not much to brag about. This post isn't aimed at all of the 997 guys here or blake specifically (I don't know anything about you), because there are some here who have an open mind and/or are legitimately good drivers. It's aimed at the handful here who keep on playing the broken record. Interestingly, it's the really good drivers that seem to have the open minds. You guys know who you are. There happen to be 997 GT3 guys who are respected on this board that have a 991 GT3 on order, believe it or not. They also happen to be great drivers. What do you have to say to them?

I have an idea for vanity plate on my 991 GT3...
Old 02-21-2014, 09:11 PM
2root4u
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I have an idea for vanity plate on my 991 GT3...
"ENFUEGO"?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 2root4u
"ENFUEGO"?
Not what I had in mind, but not a bad one either.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 PM
2root4u
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Not what I had in mind, but not a bad one either.
Dual meaning -- will still be a hot car after the recall. I tend to get plates with a joke in mind though like "TEH SLO" for my old daily and "EU RICE" (European Rice) for my stickered up, big wing RS.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Totally agree orthojoe... the gloating and posturing on here is madness. Forgetful are those that this happens on every generation. I for one look forward to advancement (Hybrid yes... when its a P1)

And for a comment that BMW drivers don't know their cars... there's a few examples on here that prove this as pure crap.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 are burning up!