Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 are burning up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:18 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by madmurdock
997.2 prices will rise to eternity! ... I'm only saying that cause I finally got one .
Z06's are now more desirable
Old 02-14-2014, 07:05 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Major German-style design flaw: high pressure oil pump right near a catalytic converter.
well..cant judge that but the engine design around the crankshaft is very special - unusual - compared to high performance motorsport engines. Has anyone a picture of the 458/M3/Corvette etc WEC engine from below?

This car is like a dead born creature..Porsche is just trying to "revive" it again..the question is only when it will suffer its next major heart attack..
Old 02-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

With production runs of 6000 + this will be an expensive recall.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Bear
No stress, the cost of the cars went up 15% plus yet the engine cost probably went down $10-20k per unit... Plenty of margin to cover the recall

Or they could have done like the good old days and over engineered to save the humiliation of cam sensors, thermostats, PCCB rotor noise and now spontaneous ignitions all in the first 3 months of delivery... And us guys with the 997.2 thought we got a rough pineapple job from Porsche...

There are threads where they are trying to sell 991 GT3s at 25k over sticker... If Porsche keep up the top shelf QC procedures, I'd say they will be having a hard time selling them at $20k under sticker...

Better the devil you know... Now we see why Mezger is still king in the motorsport program, certainly no coincidence...
Old 02-14-2014, 09:16 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, I had no idea it was that many...
Old 02-14-2014, 09:18 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911rox
No stress, the cost of the cars went up 15% plus yet the engine cost probably went down $10-20k per unit... Plenty of margin to cover the recall

Or they could have done like the good old days and over engineered to save the humiliation of cam sensors, thermostats, PCCB rotor noise and now spontaneous ignitions all in the first 3 months of delivery... And us guys with the 997.2 thought we got a rough pineapple job from Porsche...

There are threads where they are trying to sell 991 GT3s at 25k over sticker... If Porsche keep up the top shelf QC procedures, I'd say they will be having a hard time selling them at $20k under sticker...

Better the devil you know... Now we see why Mezger is still king in the motorsport program, certainly no coincidence...
looks like Im going to wait for the 991.2 gt3 rs
Old 02-14-2014, 09:21 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great avatar..can be have this picture in "high resolution"..
Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
looks like Im going to wait for the 991.2 gt3 rs
Kosmo, I sincerely hope that they get their **** together by the 991.2 or I won't be buying another Porsche... This customer based beta testing and half arsed engineering/QC really has me concerned.

They increasingly seem to be going down the path of other manufacturers and straying from their bulletproof reputation... A real shame. Regretfully they are making the 991 GT3 a revolution for all the wrong reasons... You just don't make the two most significant changes in a halo car, alienating so many repeat customers along the way (transmission change and change of engine away from it's motorsport equivalent) and NOT make sure to carry it out 100% right... Just a suicidal move..
Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 AM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From PH...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...id=168655&nmt=

Gents the story as I have it from PAG contact is that a substandard batch of the the oil cooler/exchanger retain bolts and brackets are the cause for this issue. The Swiss fire I believe triggered the investigation. This has only affected cars built in the 2014 production weeks. My week 47 2013 build ROW car is clear as are most of the cars that are already in customers hands. The fault has been evident in markets closest to Germany where the car has been produced and then delivered shortly after and the fire issue manifets itself almost immediately. I understand there have been a couple of incidences. The factory have put a stop sale on any car in transit to an overseas port for retro fitting of the new bolts/bracket and this will be performed over a few weeks this creating some slight delays. Porsche are having some supply chain QC related issues across all platforms right now and are working hard to ensure these do not repeat. Very few cars in customers hands will be affected and all those with affected VINs will have received a call from PAG very shortly. Its obviously not great press but a batch of faulty bolts isnt a epidemic.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Last line in the article says it best!

"Maybe keeping that Mezger engines on the Supercup cars was a good idea."

That's signature material right there.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mm450exc
From PH... http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...id=168655&nmt= Gents the story as I have it from PAG contact is that a substandard batch of the the oil cooler/exchanger retain bolts and brackets are the cause for this issue. The Swiss fire I believe triggered the investigation. This has only affected cars built in the 2014 production weeks. My week 47 2013 build ROW car is clear as are most of the cars that are already in customers hands. The fault has been evident in markets closest to Germany where the car has been produced and then delivered shortly after and the fire issue manifets itself almost immediately. I understand there have been a couple of incidences. The factory have put a stop sale on any car in transit to an overseas port for retro fitting of the new bolts/bracket and this will be performed over a few weeks this creating some slight delays. Porsche are having some supply chain QC related issues across all platforms right now and are working hard to ensure these do not repeat. Very few cars in customers hands will be affected and all those with affected VINs will have received a call from PAG very shortly. Its obviously not great press but a batch of faulty bolts isnt a epidemic.
That's Macca. He's very active on the 991GT3 forum here on Rennlist :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...p-sale-13.html
Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by mm450exc
From PH...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...id=168655&nmt=

Gents the story as I have it from PAG contact is that a substandard batch of the the oil cooler/exchanger retain bolts and brackets are the cause for this issue. The Swiss fire I believe triggered the investigation. This has only affected cars built in the 2014 production weeks. My week 47 2013 build ROW car is clear as are most of the cars that are already in customers hands. The fault has been evident in markets closest to Germany where the car has been produced and then delivered shortly after and the fire issue manifets itself almost immediately. I understand there have been a couple of incidences. The factory have put a stop sale on any car in transit to an overseas port for retro fitting of the new bolts/bracket and this will be performed over a few weeks this creating some slight delays. Porsche are having some supply chain QC related issues across all platforms right now and are working hard to ensure these do not repeat. Very few cars in customers hands will be affected and all those with affected VINs will have received a call from PAG very shortly. Its obviously not great press but a batch of faulty bolts isnt a epidemic.
good.

BTW i think the black plague also started "small"
Old 02-14-2014, 11:02 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Last line in the article says it best!

"Maybe keeping that Mezger engines on the Supercup cars was a good idea."

That's signature material right there.
You cant have that as your sig as it disparages and disrespects the new and better 9A1 engine. Offensive!

Old 02-14-2014, 03:51 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 121 Likes on 67 Posts

Old vs new.

I am not mechanically inclined to know any better, so any observations of the merits/demerits of the 2?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:27 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

The new engine seems a lot more exposed from down below compared to Mezger based

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 are burning up!