Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sebring DavidMurry Jan 29/30 and 48hours Jan31-Feb3

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Eddie - RPW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped by this afternoon but you're not there. I'll try to stop by after the first session.
I got some pretty bad traffic Today.
2:12 at your first time at Sebring ? That's pretty impressive.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Beautiful car and beautiful driving. I gave you many point by's trying to stay out of your way. one pass was you taking a outside line through T17 and me watching your car hoping and skipping through the turn and rocketing away...awesome sight!
Haha not in my way at all nice driving out there! Lol at the skipping this old car is a blast but it's constantly trying to kill me

17 is still a mystery but I find myself taking a more inside line than most and tracking waaaaaay out on exit. Don't know if thats correct but there seems to be so many opinions and variations on that turn. I hope years to perfect as I will be back for sure!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:10 AM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'll take that as a big compliment.

My car, with leh getting a test day at Sebring on the fastest slicks will be 2:10 in ideal conditions. No doubt Eddie can do a 2:14 in 3.8 onthose slick right? No doubt I can do 2:16 on RA1 in 4.0.

Weight is about the same.
I have 30HP more. I guess the 30hp is 1 second? 1.5/2 seconds for the milder 3.8's.
Eddie has slicks that are 3 seconds faster. Michelin are 5 seconds.
Hoosiers 2 seconds.

I am assuming well tested and well set up.
Leh on Michelin 2:10 i would say for sure.. Not to mention you and eddie are on stock suspension.. Some KW Triples or Motons setup for a slick should yield some decent results.. Just speculating as my experience at Track setup isnt much but from what Robert @ Orbit told me time and time again is you choose your Tire 1st then you build everything else around the tire. So you guys going from Ra1 to Slick and not making any changes im sure there is time in there also..

Its all speculation on Leh because he isnt driving either of those 2 cars anytime soon.. Id like to see him run TopSpeeds Record GTR at Sebring and see whats the deal myself. I dont know what FAST IS at these other tracks unfortunately..

With all that said Peter are you going to run a slick anytime soon?? From what Eddie told me the slick is so much more consistent and safer from lap 1 thru lap 15.. I never drove on slicks but it sounds better than 2-3 fast laps on RA1 and then cruise control for the rest of the laps..

Mike
Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 AM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Spartan
If anyone is at the event please say hello it's always nice to meet rennlisters. My best so far is a 2:12.4 with traffic but most are in the 14-16 range. Would love a 2:10 but my A005's are getting tired so maybe next year. It's my first time ever at Sebring and what a great track! Will be coming back for sure. Nice to be out with a group of guys that drive really well and keep traffic flowing
You car is probably one of the coolest i have seen run. ( i love turbo track cars ). Wish i was there in person to see it.. 1st time at Sebring and 2:12.. I dont care if your driving a 997 RSR thats fast as **** for never driving here.. Id be scared to see what it runs at your home tracks..
Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep 130-33 in Bishops on miss match Nt01 and ra1 is epic....BUT....the best part today was at lunch with Trakcar and the only guy out at the picnic tables who i or Peter have never seen says, "hey are you Trakcar"?
LMAO! Nice.

I cannot imagine 130-33mph through Bishops. That's ***** of steel! I've hit 120mph and a smidge over on the same tires on a well setup car and I cringe.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Last session I messed up again.
You'll put it all together soon Peter! Timing just needs to line up. But great videos in this post.

I started realizing how tough it was to get a clean lap at Winterfest. Didn't have one to show, but did beat my old 2:29 without traffic to get into 2:27 with traffic. You guys make it look so easy with so much video evidence of great laps!

Originally Posted by Eddie - RPW
Morning update, 2:15.5 and left time on the table, a lot of traffic thru the session and was going for a better lap, still adjusting to the grip level.

Will post videos later in the day.
My 2:16.1 from yesterday is already posted on YouTube.
AMAZING Eddie. You guys are already amazing with your sub 2:20's. Being a passenger in Peter's and Erik's car are awesome, eye opening experiences. Top notch drivers in DE Cup for sure. Being a passenger seat in your car makes me think about a 991 GT3s with PDK.

Eddie = PDK

All your passengers would certainly agree with me! Your shifting is art.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeAWD
Leh on Michelin 2:10 i would say for sure.. Not to mention you and eddie are on stock suspension.. Some KW Triples or Motons setup for a slick should yield some decent results.. Just speculating as my experience at Track setup isnt much but from what Robert @ Orbit told me time and time again is you choose your Tire 1st then you build everything else around the tire. So you guys going from Ra1 to Slick and not making any changes im sure there is time in there also..

Its all speculation on Leh because he isnt driving either of those 2 cars anytime soon.. Id like to see him run TopSpeeds Record GTR at Sebring and see whats the deal myself. I dont know what FAST IS at these other tracks unfortunately..

With all that said Peter are you going to run a slick anytime soon?? From what Eddie told me the slick is so much more consistent and safer from lap 1 thru lap 15.. I never drove on slicks but it sounds better than 2-3 fast laps on RA1 and then cruise control for the rest of the laps..

Mike
Leh's relative time in the GT-R would be in the 2:05-2:06 range. He has posted that himself. And its legit too. The clock doesn't lie, that car is as fast or faster than a 7Cup. And there is nothing about Sebring that won't favor it probably more than Road Atlanta. I don't think you realize how fast 1:31 at Road Atlanta is bone stock 3.8 RS with a passenger is.

I hope he gets down there so you guys can get a dose of the reality we get so often up here.

Haha not in my way at all nice driving out there! Lol at the skipping this old car is a blast but it's constantly trying to kill me

17 is still a mystery but I find myself taking a more inside line than most and tracking waaaaaay out on exit. Don't know if thats correct but there seems to be so many opinions and variations on that turn. I hope years to perfect as I will be back for sure!
Please tell me you have some videos! 2:12 first time at Sebring huh? Can't wait to get down there.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

+1 and love to see the video as well. Very cool seeing the exhaust light up, in car must be awesome in a paint shaker kinda way :-)
Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wanna911
Leh's relative time in the GT-R would be in the 2:05-2:06 range. He has posted that himself. And its legit too. The clock doesn't lie, that car is as fast or faster than a 7Cup. And there is nothing about Sebring that won't favor it probably more than Road Atlanta. I don't think you realize how fast 1:31 at Road Atlanta is bone stock 3.8 RS with a passenger is.

I hope he gets down there so you guys can get a dose of the reality we get so often up here.

Please tell me you have some videos! 2:12 first time at Sebring huh? Can't wait to get down there.
I believe it.. Nobody around here might believe a GTR can run down in those times but I know it would be deep in the single digit 2's.. It wont last as long as an RS but it sure would be a fun kamikaze car to bust some *** with.. LOL
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

If anyone is at the event please say hello it's always nice to meet rennlisters. My best so far is a 2:12.4 with traffic but most are in the 14-16 range. Would love a 2:10 but my A005's are getting tired so maybe next year. It's my first time ever at Sebring and what a great track! Will be coming back for sure. Nice to be out with a group of guys that drive really well and keep traffic flowing
Like I said, luv this car. And that was before I knew it was such a beast.

Re: slicks, 3.8 RS suspension is too soft for real track work with stock rubber let alone going to slicks. Shock/spring upgrade would unlock even more time.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MikeAWD

Mike
Mike, I know, I know, you are not the only one asking, but I dont have baller money like those guys as I like to drive a lot. I know I just wrote an almost quarter mil check for a car, but bare with me here....

I like cars and like to drive and look at it every day. This means you need kind of a street setup, nice and mild, comfy to drive around town.
I dont mind paying either, but still needs to be reasoable in running cost and depreciation. That last one is a gamble LOL.

I take it to the track, change as little as possible to the car and see if I am improving in that car. I can gauge my abilty and bend it to any reality I like by comparing my driving to others with different mods, HP and tires. But my real laptime is still the goal, I beat it pointig many cars by, no proablem as long as the car is fun to drive, feels nice in my hands on track and on street.

Tires are ugly black things that just need to do what they are supposed to do for little money.

I can make the car much faster with a better LSD, regear, full suspension package and a pro helping me set it up for me for a weekend. That costs $30K ONCE to get the most out of a 4.0 without stripping and being able to get it back to completely stock?? depending on dealer relation, you may need to convert back to get warranty, I have warranty CPO to 2017..

Tires cost say based on 40 track days a year like I did the last 3 years.

RA1 / NT01 are $900.00 a set shaved, delivered.
The fronts last 8 days the rear 4.

Cost for the year: $4500 RA1 for the rear, $2250.00 for the front = $6,750.00 PER YEAR

Slicks:
Cost for the year: $1800 per set per weekend = $36,000.00 PER YEAR

They may last another day, but they blow and get so slow you're getting passed by guys running R compound after the first day, each session your slicks are a little crappier, you need to also adjust your driving and that is a bigger drop off than the RA1 NT01 combo.

Slicks are also harder on bearings, uprights, brakes, transmission, clutch, PP etc. Cars break more on grippier tires.

The RA NT01 combo from fresh to cord, same tire under 60F same tire all session almost. Over 80F you start losing about 1 second the next 4 laps and another second a lap after that, if you overdrive them like we always do.
An intermediate driver would not notice and the tires would last about 50% longer even. I see many cars on slicks that would not be able to wring out an RA1 / NT01 combo and they are wasting $$.

The difference in tire budget is $30K and that is more than I depreciated in all last 3 Porsches starting in 2008. We'll see about the 4.0. For most it would either double their DE budget or half their track days, you know like racers who say "it's not expensive" until you find out how many hours a year they actually sit in the car. Then do the math per hour LOL.

Eventually I will run out of RA1's but I have enough through 2014...
After that, I guess i will go slicks and run less or spend more.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I love your car!
Wish i was there to see it!!

Next time!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter 1 set per weekend? I think that's a bit much. How many laps do you get per weekend?

I think the Yoko slicks are cheaper and more durable than most. And you will not get passed by guys on R-comps unless you are being seriously out driven or are seriously out of your league car wise.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Another argument is that I don't like to take fuel jugs etc. and many tracks require you to run into town to get gas. I also like the cool down run into town, good for rotors but I'm sure the rest of the car prefer gradual cools down by cruising opposed to just parking it.

You may get 2 weekends or 3 days but then you get passed by R compound guy....
1 setter weekend if you want to get some use out of the slick dollars and car setup for grippy slicks, not slow slicks..
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I love your car!
Wish i was there to see it!!

Next time!
You shoulda stayed
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Eddie - RPW
Banned

2:15.0 had only one opportunity and was the last lap. Not perfectly clean, there is a 2:14.5 in my future.

Quick Reply: Sebring DavidMurry Jan 29/30 and 48hours Jan31-Feb3