Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sebring DavidMurry Jan 29/30 and 48hours Jan31-Feb3

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013 | 04:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That Canon #14 car was another good looking car through T-17!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-06-2013 | 05:00 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

The night session chasing World Famous Trakcar and then getting passed by the blue turbo 993 thingy, then the VBox power cable comes loose, 8pm 01.31.13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHcWA...ature=youtu.be

Chasing the World Famous Trakcar on Thursday afternoon 01.31.13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dytHZ...ature=youtu.be

My personal best on Hoohoos 2:16.69, Friday 8:30am 02.01.13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZhow...ature=youtu.be

Then I tried a set of Pirelli slicks (which made my car push/understeer like crazy), did a 2:15.83 on Friday late morning 11:00am 02.01.13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rKv...ature=youtu.be

Pulling Rob Blake around for his personal best (2:17.xx), 10:30am 02.03.13, wish I had pointed one of the cameras to the rear to watch Rob
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seVXY...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by GT3DE; 02-06-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-06-2013 | 12:06 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
@ DD,

Michelin are expensive, and don't last as near as Pirellis. I compare Pirellis with Hoosiers, and my price is pretty close, so I rather use a faster tire that last as long.

If I had the option of running NT-01s I would. They are faster than RA-1s and can stand the heat better.
What is retail on those pirellis? Not considering, just being curious.

Agreed on the Nitto. It's a great DE tire.

Originally Posted by GT3DE
all in my own mind

here it is, Grady chasing me right on my ***, Sly in the car with me, Grady gets loose in t16 and I am laughing at him watching his dust cloud in my mirror - payback is a bitch, karma got me, whatever you wanna call it on the next turn - ALMOST!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf0pV...ature=youtu.be
Woo doggie! You definitely get the "luckiest guy of the weekend" award. Wow. The frantic hand waving at the end was classic.
Old 02-06-2013 | 12:26 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Man I need to get a proper video and data system. I'm jealous seeing all these videos with the data and I'm sure its very helpful for learning. All I have is an old traqmate and its only used as a glorified lap timer and nothing more.

What systems are you guys using? Race technologies? Race keepers?
Old 02-06-2013 | 01:58 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spartan
Man I need to get a proper video and data system. I'm jealous seeing all these videos with the data and I'm sure its very helpful for learning. All I have is an old traqmate and its only used as a glorified lap timer and nothing more.

Clarke (GT3DE) and TRAK CAR are using Vbox like many others here.

Your car is ridiculously quick!!!
Old 02-06-2013 | 03:08 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FLA997
Clarke (GT3DE) and TRAK CAR are using Vbox like many others here.

Your car is ridiculously quick!!!
Thanks! I'll take a look at the V-box system
Old 02-06-2013 | 03:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

All I have is an old traqmate and its only used as a glorified lap timer and nothing more.

Most guys use one of four different systems, roughly equivalent money. Some easier, some more robust, some better video quality than others. I sell them all (and sold TRAKCAR, NJ-GT and Eddie-RPW their systems), remember that the example videos below have been compressed and are of lower quality than what you will achieve.

1) Traqmate with ChaseCam and now GoPro HD Hero 2. You could add video and the software to couple the video to the data that yields the example video to your existing system. The only, true high-def system.

Example here with the ChaseCam:

Example here with the GoPro Hero 2:

2) Eddie and Rad have AiM Solo DL/SmartyCam. Yields a DONE "intelligent" (data already overlaid) video that you can play right away, but to dig deeper in the data is a bit of a learning curve.

Example here from Rad's "big Fiat":

Example from Eddie:

3) Trakcar, Clarke, Grady and others use Racelogic's Video VBOX Lite, a two camera system that offers the best Standard Definition video and also yields a ready-to-play, DONE "intelligent" video. The simplest system to use and provides enough data analysis capability that is closer to Traqmate in it's ease of use, but includes side by side video comparison of up to six driver laps, like the Race-Keeper. Plus the OLED display is nice and bright. The most entertaining example here :

4) Race-Keeper. Video quality and audio not particularly good, records three files that Comparo (their analysis program) puts together at the end, so only raw video made and you need to put it together with the data file, which the program does automatically. Can use up to four cameras, of marginal value, IMO. Rugged. Example here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tradema...n/photostream/

I sell all of them and could advise on ECU compatibility to get other signals on the video like throttle position and brake pressure, if those are measured in your car. Easy enough to get lateral and longitudinal g's, speed, track mapping and lap times. Just need to find out what is in your car to see if more is available.

It's an awesome tool...

Best, Peter
Old 02-06-2013 | 05:31 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Peter - how do you think the new HD AIM coming out will compare to the Hero2 video quality? The H2 HD is very good.
Old 02-06-2013 | 05:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, the AiM HD SC is 720P, most folks use 720P or 960P with the GoPro Hero 2. So not a great deal of difference.

I'm not a huge fan of HD in-car simply because, as a coaching and self-review tool, it's fair overkill. I need to see the relationship of the edges of the car to the edges of the road, I need to see enough detail so I can tell what's going on a few cars ahead of the car I'm driving (or coaching) and unless I want to splash it up on the big screen, most of the SD offerings (AiM SC GP and especially the VBox Lite) are pretty good.

If you want to know where the tech is coming from, look at the ChaseCam or the R-K. I think we'd all agree that the current SD offerings are pretty good and when you use the best codecs in playback, can be terrific. Besides, I collected nearly 60GB of video between four guys (HD was 80% of that, for one guy) the three days I was working at Sebring last week! Sheesh. Nearly 8 TB from just the last two years, most of it from Go Pro's!

For the Traqmate, I'm soon going to be recommending the Replay XD 1080 video add-on. That should be availalbe sometime in March. Replay is coming out with a Hero 3 equivalent CMOS sensor soon, so this should leapfrog the HD Hero 2 quality, if that is what floats your boat.

Honestly, I think it's a huge technical challenge to have the processing power integrated with the camera to overlay data REAL-TIME onto HD or ED (enhanced definition, which is what I call 720P). I'm surprised they were able to do it.

Every other data/video maker is working on it, but look at the time it's taken the DIVA to get online. And it's not operating at HD resolutions yet and can't be recommended (at least by me, even though it's a MoTeC-ready piece). It may take years more...

I wouldn't sell your SmartyCam yet, but I have seen the video from this upcoming SmartyCam HD at PRI in December and it looked DAMN good on a 50" edge-lit LED screen. Again, do you need HD for review and coaching? Probably not.

But we ALL love bleeding edge, don't we?
Old 02-06-2013 | 06:00 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

What are you thoughts on Racekeeper? I never hear you discuss them much.
Old 02-06-2013 | 06:08 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Well, the AiM HD SC is 720P, most folks use 720P or 960P with the GoPro Hero 2. So not a great deal of difference.

I'm not a huge fan of HD in-car simply because, as a coaching and self-review tool, it's fair overkill. I need to see the relationship of the edges of the car to the edges of the road, I need to see enough detail so I can tell what's going on a few cars ahead of the car I'm driving (or coaching) and unless I want to splash it up on the big screen, most of the SD offerings (AiM SC GP and especially the VBox Lite) are pretty good.

If you want to know where the tech is coming from, look at the ChaseCam or the R-K. I think we'd all agree that the current SD offerings are pretty good and when you use the best codecs in playback, can be terrific. Besides, I collected nearly 60GB of video between four guys (HD was 80% of that, for one guy) the three days I was working at Sebring last week! Sheesh. Nearly 8 TB from just the last two years, most of it from Go Pro's!

For the Traqmate, I'm soon going to be recommending the Replay XD 1080 video add-on. That should be availalbe sometime in March. Replay is coming out with a Hero 3 equivalent CMOS sensor soon, so this should leapfrog the HD Hero 2 quality, if that is what floats your boat.

Honestly, I think it's a huge technical challenge to have the processing power integrated with the camera to overlay data REAL-TIME onto HD or ED (enhanced definition, which is what I call 720P). I'm surprised they were able to do it.

Every other data/video maker is working on it, but look at the time it's taken the DIVA to get online. And it's not operating at HD resolutions yet and can't be recommended (at least by me, even though it's a MoTeC-ready piece). It may take years more...

I wouldn't sell your SmartyCam yet, but I have seen the video from this upcoming SmartyCam HD at PRI in December and it looked DAMN good on a 50" edge-lit LED screen. Again, do you need HD for review and coaching? Probably not.

But we ALL love bleeding edge, don't we?
I agree from a data standpoint, completely...I just like watching the HD from the H2 at max setting....it does take lots of card space, and the microphone in the H2 is awesome...the AIM seems muted.

I'll keep an eye out for AIMs HD offering.

I probably wouldn't be wanting better video/audio if I hadn't seen AIM vs. H2...lol.

GoPro H2
change setting to play in 720 HD:

AIM Smarty Cam:

Old 02-06-2013 | 06:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I probably wouldn't be wanting better video/audio if I hadn't seen AIM vs. H2...lol.

AIM Smarty Cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fsN437_XbsU
Make sure you're telling folks that the AiM max res on YT is 360!

This is one of the reasons why I just bought a few more Hero 2's and TraqSync HD Pro control cables for Traqmate users.

You get the quality of video and sound you show on your video, with the data overlay (of course, coupled after the fact by TraqStudio, which can only do it in 1280 x 720) that is THE important part about the AiM SmartyCam.

The videos without the data overlay doesn't tell me anything.

Heck, I can't even pick out the best lap without going through and timing the bare naked video manually! My whole job is saving people time, on track and off. So folks like Eddie and Rad really like and need that overlay of the data without extra steps or delay. Same with TRAKCAR.

This is why, for most folks, either the AiM SmartyCam/Solo DL or EVO4 combo or the Video VBOX Lite is truly the only plug-n-play solution for what I call "intelligent" video.

The reason I still use Traqmate/GoPro is because of the ability to generate a VIDEO HD Theoretical Best Lap (TBL), where I can see the attitude of the car, what gear, what line, what drama goes into actually DOING that unobtainable lap!

Fun stuff. No "wrong" choices.
Old 02-06-2013 | 06:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3DE
The night session chasing World Famous Trakcar and then getting passed by the blue turbo 993 thingy, then the VBox power cable comes loose, 8pm 01.31.13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHcWA...ature=youtu.be

Easier to follow then to lead isn't it? You were faster after I showed you the way..

Chasing the World Famous Trakcar on Thursday afternoon 01.31.13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dytHZ...ature=youtu.be

Fun session, Clarke cuts his hair and manages a respectful distance from my rear bumper and only drives off the track once. Maybe soon he'll stop spitting on my shoes.

My personal best on Hoohoos 2:16.69, Friday 8:30am 02.01.13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZhow...ature=youtu.be

Again you are faster the lap after I show you how.

Then I tried a set of Pirelli slicks (which made my car push/understeer like crazy), did a 2:15.83 on Friday late morning 11:00am 02.01.13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rKv...ature=youtu.be

That's good driving but Hannibal beat you.

Pulling Rob Blake around for his personal best (2:17.xx), 10:30am 02.03.13, wish I had pointed one of the cameras to the rear to watch Rob
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seVXY...ature=youtu.be
Awesome.

Buy whatever Peter sells you as long as it is not a Traqmate.

Originally Posted by deputydog95
What are you thoughts on Racekeeper? I never hear you discuss them much.
TCN runs V Box. Sell it.
Old 02-06-2013 | 07:08 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Awesome.

Buy whatever Peter sells you as long as it is not a Traqmate.

TCN runs V Box. Sell it.
I have a good chunk of money in the RK setup and the people there have been very good to me. I have been having some intermittent issues with mine as of late. Enough so that I had to send it back today. I do have an early build and they promise to make it right.

When the TCN site goes live, approved gear should be posted so we can reference that before making any such purchases. I am considering "TCN Approved" stickers so that vendors can show their customers.

I have to say I am duly impressed with vbox. Haven't used it to look at data yet, but it seems like one hell of a system based on the can access and good display info.
Old 02-06-2013 | 07:39 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

The reason you got loose at apex at t10 is that you didn't hammer on the gas soon enough - you coasted for a second and that is when the car stepped out on you. As soon as you let off the brake you should IMMEDIATELY get on the gas. Get on the gas earlier/sooner - YOU CAN HOLD IT !

Harry Hogge: [Cole is cursing on the radio after a bad pit stop] Hold it while we're on the air.

Cole Trickle: I come into the pits, I was in first place, now I am in third with two laps to go!

Harry Hogge: Cole, you're in third place, that's a respectable position. Now when they slow down for turn four, I want you to pass them on the outside.

Cole Trickle: Harry, you told me nobody passes on the outside in turn four!

Harry Hogge: Well now, I'm telling you different. If you go to the outside, you can hold it.

Tim Daland: He's gonna end up in the wall Harry!

Harry Hogge: Cole, the pace car is ready to duck on off, I don't have much time to tell you this.

Cole Trickle: Well, tell me how?

Harry Hogge: Because we have a really good set of matched tires on it.

Tim Daland: What?

Cole Trickle: What?

Harry Hogge: Those tires are matched perfect and staggered special.

Tim Daland: You're gonna get him killed!

Harry Hogge: The pace car is getting ready to duck on off. If you go to the outside, you CAN hold it.

Cole Trickle: All right Harry, when it comes to the car, I'll take your word.

Quick Reply: Sebring DavidMurry Jan 29/30 and 48hours Jan31-Feb3