Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sebring DavidMurry Jan 29/30 and 48hours Jan31-Feb3

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Fun weekend, didn't take the RS, but a new race car I built off a '08 non S Carrera to race in Stock H class. Finished the car's build the night before it shipped to Sebring, so it was a test and tune event for me. Struggle with the brakes all weekend. Talk about "ice mode" On Thurs it happened every other corner. Finally gave up because to dangerous. We change the master cylinder, adjusted brake bias using different compounds in the rear, disconnect the yaw Sensor, and programmed a few things out of the gateway, and got so it only happened about 10 time per race. Not ideal, but drivable, yet not to it's potential yet. Survived the first 2 sprints while still figuring out the brakes, then on Sunday won the Enduro in my class (H) and came in 2nd overall. Car runs 2:25s, but once brake are fixed, should do 2:23s. Thanks for runnin the radio Clark
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Seeing that 993 made me wonder if we can make this Sebring worthy, or just drive it for what it is; Art.
stunning for sure.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

These laps time for a DE are insane. You'd think we were discussing a 996 cup race. Wow.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
These laps time for a DE are insane. You'd think we were discussing a 996 cup race. Wow.
2:15s in jeans and t-shirt in traffic....

there are full caged race cars that cant produce those times

No question that south florida attracts a great circle of GT3 owners/drivers.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

It's the weather.

Was the event open passing/no point like super solo? Half of those cars overtaken never even had the change to put their arm out
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
It's the weather.

Was the event open passing/no point like super solo? Half of those cars overtaken never even had the change to put their arm out
Sure looked that way.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,188 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

+1,000,000!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Here's the Video from the 993 GT2.

Talked to the owner.

about 2800lbs no driver and a healthy 500WHP... maybe a little more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpUf3yfVTxA
Nice vid Eddie! You were really moving out there. Interesting view to see what the car is doing from behind. Have to say I was dissapointed at the lack of large flames shooting out the tail pipes. I'll have to look into that...

It was nice to meet you on Sunday and I'm sure we'll meet again at Sebring sometime soon!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Here's the Video of the 993
Eddie, your line into and through T17 on that first lap (haven't yet looked at the whole thing) is EXACTLY what VR, David Tuaty and I are looking for. The timing and execution of braking/acceleration can be optimized, but the PATH you are drawing is right on the money.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Eddie, your line into and through T17 on that first lap (haven't yet looked at the whole thing) is EXACTLY what VR, David Tuaty and I are looking for.
David Tuaty taught me the same line in T-17, but I have obviously not retained it...LOL
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
Fun weekend, didn't take the RS, but a new race car I built off a '08 non S Carrera to race in Stock H class. Finished the car's build the night before it shipped to Sebring, so it was a test and tune event for me. Struggle with the brakes all weekend. Talk about "ice mode" On Thurs it happened every other corner. Finally gave up because to dangerous. We change the master cylinder, adjusted brake bias using different compounds in the rear, disconnect the yaw Sensor, and programmed a few things out of the gateway, and got so it only happened about 10 time per race. Not ideal, but drivable, yet not to it's potential yet. Survived the first 2 sprints while still figuring out the brakes, then on Sunday won the Enduro in my class (H) and came in 2nd overall. Car runs 2:25s, but once brake are fixed, should do 2:23s. Thanks for runnin the radio Clark
No problem, glad to help. Radio worked great after I got an antenna for it. Congrats on class win.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

Agree..

Probably the strongest concentration of GT3 drivers in the country IMO. And they are really just getting into the potential of the cars. We are all of a sudden talking about 2:14's and possible 2:13's from a 3.8 on slicks with amateur driving. With some practice, setup, more familiarity with the tires and more competition running REAL tires. That number will continue to go down.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanna911
Agree..

And they are really just getting into the potential of the cars. We are all of a sudden talking about 2:14's and possible 2:13's from a 3.8 on slicks with amateur driving. That number will continue to go down.
You know, I know there is a lot of "pro driver" love shown here, but I've had a lot of fun watching the SoFla crowd get better and better, finding less of a difference between their own performance and the people they hire to help them.

It goes to show that this is a learned skill. IMO, ALL drivers bleed red. Pat, Leh, Dominik, Jeroen as well as the best Club drivers like Klaus, Cory and Kasey. If they can do it, you can do it. Obviously, one of the key factors that make people better is the frequency they undertake it and the dedication that they apply to the craft.

But the bottom line is THIS; "proper execution of fundamental skills coupled with course knowledge SO detailed that the driver knows EXACTLY what they're going to do, BEFORE they get there..."

Going this fast is a skill capable of being taught, capable of being assimilated and, as comprehension of ever finer details and knowledge take root, confidence improves and people subconsciously begin coming off the brakes at a slightly higher speed, brake in a more consistent way, closer to the car's capabilities, picking up on the throttle in such a graduated but proactive way that the car yaws OUT of the corner!

I just want to say how cool it is to see Eddie, GT3DE, TrakCar, Grady, wanna911, mkk62 and the rest of this group get better and better. I appreciate the use of the TBL to establish that they DID parts of a lap that were even better than what they were able to string together all at once and use that to strive further. It's cool, it's fun.

Thanks and stay safe. Now back to the Rad/DE Cup show!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Eddie, your line into and through T17 on that first lap (haven't yet looked at the whole thing) is EXACTLY what VR, David Tuaty and I are looking for. The timing and execution of braking/acceleration can be optimized, but the PATH you are drawing is right on the money.
+1. Just had the opportunity to watchb all Eddie's videos. Agree. Eddie, nice smooth driving!!!

Originally Posted by FLA997
David Tuaty taught me the same line in T-17, but I have obviously not retained it...LOL
I haven't watched yours yet, hope to this afternoon...

You know, I know there is a lot of "pro driver" love shown here, but I've had a lot of fun watching the SoFla crowd get better and better, finding less of a difference between their own performance and the people they hire to help them.

It goes to show that this is a learned skill. IMO, ALL drivers bleed red. Pat, Leh, Dominik, Jeroen as well as the best Club drivers like Klaus, Cory and Kasey. If they can do it, you can do it. Obviously, one of the key factors that make people better is the frequency they undertake it and the dedication that they apply to the craft.

But the bottom line is THIS; "proper execution of fundamental skills coupled with course knowledge SO detailed that the driver knows EXACTLY what they're going to do, BEFORE they get there..."

Going this fast is a skill capable of being taught, capable of being assimilated and, as comprehension of ever finer details and knowledge take root, confidence improves and people subconsciously begin coming off the brakes at a slightly higher speed, brake in a more consistent way, closer to the car's capabilities, picking up on the throttle in such a graduated but proactive way that the car yaws OUT of the corner!

I just want to say how cool it is to see Eddie, GT3DE, TrakCar, Grady, wanna911, mkk62 and the rest of this group get better and better. I appreciate the use of the TBL to establish that they DID parts of a lap that were even better than what they were able to string together all at once and use that to strive further. It's cool, it's fun.

Thanks and stay safe. Now back to the Rad/DE Cup show!
Well said...and it IS fun to watch!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching Sean Edwards qualifying/race videos, Leh driving flat footed sideways while completely relaxed or Pat Long correcting and saving a bump to the rear while still holding position at Lime Rock makes me think all of us amateurs have a long way to go. Some of that stuff is pure God given ability + intense training and adaptation to the level of competition that we don't have and won't get from DE.

The question is how close can you get to that level without either growing into it, or buying into it and seeing where you stack up. And how you drive like that when you have a car that you put 100k or 200k of your own money into. There are plenty of drivers racing pro with 100/1 money/talent ratio working with pro co-drivers and coaches non-stop, and still WAY off the pace.

The only way IMO to truly compare DECup to GTC is to have GTC driver driving the GT3 like they would the GTC car. That's the level I'd like to measure myself up against. But until that happens, I will continue to improve as if a pro could get in my car and go 4 seconds faster on my home track with the same setup. (1:22.3)

Quick Reply: Sebring DavidMurry Jan 29/30 and 48hours Jan31-Feb3