Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Draft: Visit Europe with your GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:13 AM
globed
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Draft: Visit Europe with your GT3

It's been mentioned a few times, a 'how to' for visiting Europe with your GT3. I've made an attempt below. Please provide feedback, I will then post a final which I can update as needed. I cannot take any responsibility for legal and financial decisions or outcomes, the information below is based on the personal experiences of one or more people. I will also add pics and links for the final.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For many of us, driving a GT3 across Europe is the pinnacle of public motoring. It is the view of many that the finest cars are built within a few-hundred kilometers of the Alps. While dreams of unlimited speed on perfect roads without the bother of traffic can prove elusive, the experience remains second to none. The key steps in the process are straightforward:

1. Arrange insurance
2. Prepare paperwork
3. Ship car to Europe
4. Clear customs in Europe
5. Have the time of your life
6. Ship car back to the US

Like anything worthwhile, quite a bit of work is required to make this happen. As long as you are not a resident of a European country and have no plans to sell your GT3 while visiting, you are well within your legal rights to visit Europe with your US-registered car. The challenge is a lack of knowledge by all parties involved and of course obtaining insurance. To be more specific, your GT3 must have valid registration and license plates from a US state and your intent must be to drive around Europe as a tourist for a period of less than six months. For an easier read, I’ll cover the steps slightly out of order:

Arrange Insurance

The biggest obstacle is insurance. If you are proud to have served in the US military or have a parent who has done so, then you are likely aware of USAA. They offer a tourist policy and are very experienced in these matters. For all others, your search begins. The only other US insurance company as of this writing who offer a tourist policy (expatriate is not the same thing) is GEICO, however you’ll need to fill out some forms to determine qualification. Otherwise you will need to find a European insurance company willing to write a policy on US plates; this may require a local address and will certainly require quite a lot of patience while calling around. Your proof of insurance is the infamous INTERNATIONAL MOTOR INSURANCE CARD (the green paper) which indicates appropriate coverage across a wide range of countries. Full insurance including 3rd party liability is recommended and keep in mind that insurance will be expensive as these are non-standard policies. [insert regularly updated list of European companies confirmed as offering policies]

Shipping

Assuming you have arranged insurance, the next step is shipping. You can ship via air or sea. I have no experience with air transport, however know that timeframes are significantly reduced in exchange for a serious investment. For those shipping via air, your GT3 will be strapped to a pallet and loaded as cargo. The following details are about sea shipment, however the remainder of this guide is sill of use for those shipping by air.

There are two methods utilized to ship cars on the high seas, RO-RO and Container. RO-RO stands for roll-on/roll-off, meaning your car is driven onto a purpose-built ship and strapped down amongst thousands of other cars (almost entirely new) on one of about a dozen floors - this is the method relied upon by major manufacturers. While this may conjure images of the ‘Perfect Storm’ you should know that your GT3 found its way to the US aboard such a ship. Travelling to major European ports, transport time is about three to four weeks from the east coast and six to eight weeks from the west coast. This is in addition to the loading/unloading and customs processes at both ends, so add another two weeks (one week on each side).

What horrible things could happen aboard such a ship? The ship could sink, albeit a thankfully rare occurrence. Something even more profoundly horrifying to a GT3 owner could occur: your car could be scratched or otherwise damaged during loading, sea journey, or unloading. This is the same risk that ALL manufacturers face, and the reason why manufacturers have portside repair facilities in the US for new cars (yes, your new GT3 may have had some minor work before you got the keys). To prevent damage, some manufacturers put vinyl skin and rubber bits on select areas of the car. More specific to the GT3, Porsche ships with front spring spacers and the black spoiler lip removed, allowing for ease of truck transport and a bit of help for ship loading. For those with the front-axle lift option, don’t count on it for the length of the journey. If you do nothing, expect some scrapes on your spoiler lip, or just remove it during shipment. Your car will arrive filthy with a few stickers on the windows. Another item of note: the car must be empty with license plates removed. This is a requirement of shippers, customs, and in your best interests. Cost will depend on whether you are shipping from the east or west coast as well as destination; an approximation is $1500-3000 each way including administrative, dock, and customs fee, add another .5 to 1% of stated value for marine insurance. Note, there are no duties or taxes as you are not importing the car into Europe, it’s only for temporary use.

The obvious question arises, what about container shipment? Containers offer some benefits, although cost is not one of them. Your car won’t be exposed to dust and dirt and you won’t lose sleep thinking about the dock worker who is running your engine to the rev limiter for pure enjoyment. You can economize a bit by sharing a container with another car or use the additional space to pack other items. Some shipping agents may offer a high level of service for a price, effectively door-to-door. The downside is that your GT3 is only as safe as how well it and other goods are strapped down, and how carefully the container is handled. You will require pack and unpack service, adding cost and time to the process. If you do pack other things, you will likely have a more complicated process with customs. I’ve always followed the manufacturers, including Porsche: RO-RO shipment. My personal experience has been generally good, a small ding or scratch being the worst thus far.

Prepare Paperwork

In terms of shipping companies, I’ve only used Wallenius Wihelmsen, the same company providing factory to showroom shipping and logistics for many manufacturers. They won’t deal with you directly, however will provide a list of brokers/agents. If you’ve come this far, then insurance and shipping has been arranged, so you must now prepare everything. You will require an original title and bill of sale. If your GT3 is not in your name, the titleholder must provide a notarized power-of-attorney. You will often need a notarized power-of-attorney allowing the shipping agent to manage the administration. Your shipping agent will give you exact details of how many certified copies of which paperwork is required. Keep in mind that shipping is not a glamorous business, service levels are basic and credit cards are often not accepted. If you don’t leave your car with the shipping agent and prefer the comfort of driving to the dock yourself, you will arrive about a week prior to boat departure, provide paperwork to the agent who in return will give you quite a bit more paperwork, drive to the customs lot, present all of this wonderful paperwork, remove the plates, and return to the shipping agent with your keys. Your car will then be loaded a few days prior to departure… and no, you cannot assist in this process.

Clearing Customs in Europe

By obtaining boat details from your agent, you can visit websites to carefully monitor the progress of the ship through various ports, suffering the thought of what might be happening to your beloved GT3. The next step is really the most variable, and that is clearing customs in the country where you’ve shipped your GT3. I highly recommend that you start the research process just after you sort out insurance and long before you arrive in Europe. Although you may have an easy time, being fully prepared is the best approach. Send an e-mail to the customs organization in the country where your GT3 will land. Be very explicit about your plans, the fact that your car is US registered, that you are visiting Europe and only require clearance for tourism purposes. They will reply with the appropriate steps and forms. As an example, the UK requires a C110 form to be filled out and processed prior to your car’s arrival. To prevent hassles, print out all e-mail correspondence, all related rules from official government websites, and request a copy of your approved request if possible. If you have elected to use a receiving agent in Europe, they may or may not be familiar with the process. Agents and customs officials may even decide that you need to pay taxes and duties; again, be prepared with all paperwork and explain yet again.

Ready to Roll

Assuming you’ve cleared customs, shown your aforementioned International Motor Insurance Card, and put your US plates back onto your GT3, you’re ready to go. The return process is very much the same, albeit tends to attract fewer hassles from customs officials. Remember that original paperwork and certified copies are generally required, as well as your Passport. If you wish to continue reading, there are quite a few useful tips to ensure a good experience.

Driving in Europe

This should be the fun part and a bit of planning will make it so. Let’s start with those who lust after excessive speed, making no assumptions about GT3 owners. Your US plate showing up on a speed camera in European countries is little cause for concern, most countries leave a US plate unprocessed. One particular exception is Switzerland… the police, having observed a foreign plate parked on the street, have been known to search against a list of those with camera tickets and then kindly have the wheel booted. Seeing as it takes time for camera tickets to be processed, this shouldn’t be an issue for short stays.

While speed cameras will surely be your first friend in Europe, speed traps may be your only enemy. In many circumstances you will be required to pay on the spot with a credit card or cash, so be prepared with both (tickets have been known to exceed $1000). While some officials may be too lazy to deal with you and your US plates, don’t count on it. To make matters more exciting, your license can be revoked and another passenger in the vehicle required to drive while in that country. This clearly won’t affect your ability to drive in the US or other European countries, however you’ll need a duplicate license (hint) on hand once you leave the country in question. Another exciting option is having your car impounded or being required to appear in court. Just as rules vary state-to-state, the same could be said for European countries.

A few preparatory bits about your GT3. Many European countries take safety more seriously than in the US. Consult the internet for country specific rules. France for example requires a warning triangle, fluorescent safety vests for all passengers, a first aid kit, and more. Gas stations always have these items available. Many countries also require appropriate tires during winter or wintery conditions, and may specify the M+S or Mountain insignia stamped on the sidewall. Failure to carry safety equipment can result in on-the-spot fines while actual liability or insurance issues can arise when dealing with winter accidents without appropriate tires. Driving a GT3 in the Alps during winter isn’t much fun, not to mention that most mountain passes remain snow covered and closed from October through May. Other purchases include highway vignettes (window stickers), which are effectively fixed payment for use of toll roads. These can always be purchased at the border; example countries include Czech Republic and Switzerland. Some European countries do have tolls, so gain some familiarity on the internet with the toll lanes to eliminate confusion when approaching. France, Spain, and Italy are all examples of countries with toll roads, many of which accept credit cards.

Keep in mind that you must keep your US registration, European Insurance Green Card, US license and US passport in the car with you at all times. It is worthwhile to keep a letter or copy of the stamped import form demonstrating that customs has released your car for temporary use in Europe. In addition, keep a list of Porsche service centers within range of wherever you’re driving. Porsche no longer publishes their handy map book showing dealers across Europe. Instead, visit the Porsche country-specific internet sites… a bit of patience required due to foreign languages. While we’re on the subject, let’s talk about warranty service. The standard European warranty is two years. If your car is less than two years old, you’re in good shape. Even better, modern Porsche service computers recognize VIN numbers from the US. Depending on the warranty policy in effect during your model year, they may also honor the longer US warranty period. Suggestion: contact Porsche, explain your plans, and get it in writing.

Let’s talk gas… not the kind associated with a late night in a Munich beer hall, rather the more expensive type used by your GT3. Leaving aside the formulas, European octane numbers are numerically higher than the US. An octane rating of 98 in Europe is equivalent to 93/94 back in the US, while a rating of 95 is similar to 91/92. The diesel nozzle, usually indicated by a black handle cover, is too big to fit into your tank, preventing a very expensive mistake, and I haven’t seen leaded gas in a long time. Gas is expensive, assume about $8 a gallon and you’ll be close enough. While we’re on the subject, let’s also talk air pressure which is denoted as BAR in Europe. The formula is PSI/14.5=BAR, for example 29 PSI is 2 BAR.

Another feature in Europe is the presence of car trains and ferries. Sometimes these are a requirement if your destination is an island, whether it be the small island of Sylt in Germany or the considerably larger island known as the United Kingdom. Trains can be useful traversing long distances of not particularly interesting motorways while partying along the way. The front-axle lift option often pays dividends on the ramps.

Getting back to speed limits, local knowledge is truly valuable yet never foolproof. Just like US states, some European countries allow for a bit of excessive speed and some have no speed controls. Cameras are far more prevalent in Europe than radar. Also, radar detectors may work on some frequencies, however are considered illegal in most countries – leave it at home. The legendary Autobahn remains unrestricted on some parts, however be aware that traffic can be heavy and the Germans are experts at continuously improving their roads – think 10 mile construction backup. A quick search of the internet will provide information on unrestricted sections and perhaps construction as well. If you are visiting with your GT3, it will likely be during the warm months when daylight is in abundance… awake at dawn for the best driving experience in the mountains or on the autobahn. If you normally run factory tires with little in the way of water clearing capability, you should consider a switch to something more capable in the rain. With appropriate rubber, the GT3 drives great in the rain and your trip won’t be spoiled by rainy days or a deluge in the alps.

Track Days

This I will leave in your good hands. Tracks have their own rules around foreign registration, foreign licenses, liability, and the like. Track insurance companies do exist, however you'll need to plan well ahead to determine qualifications. One potential outlet is Porsche Driving School. They run at many tracks and there are options to rent from Porsche. There are also non-Porsche schools at many tracks, for instance the Nurburgring has a school with Renault cars. If you are just learning a track and its lines, there may be little point thrashing your GT3 anyhow. The ‘track nuts’ will certainly find Rennlisters in Europe who have loads of experience on tracks and far more.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (01-10-2023)
Old 08-18-2012, 05:29 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice write-up!

Being from Belgium myself I am always willing to help out fellow rennlisters if they want to undertake a European journey, be it by giving advice about what to visit and not to visit, do's and don'ts on the roads in certain countries, or by helping you plan some track days (which organizations, what tracks?) or a visit to the world-famous Nordschleife. I might even be able to help with insurance.

Just gimme a yell in this topic or by pm if you have any questions for a local.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:56 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I did euro delivery in my 08 gt3 back in november 07 and had the time of my life. best thing you pointed out is the gas prices- around 7-8.50 a gallon depending on how riled up the OPEC nations and the currency is...

another thing about general travel is to find out from local hotels what their parking situation is ahead of time. you want to take care of your 100k+ car and not just leave it on the street to get scratched or broken into (I'm looking at you, ITALY)

from my (parking) experience:

when in germany: secure car parking is plentiful in stuttgart, munich, and every major city I visited, and even hotels equivalent to a holiday inn would have parking garages, most for free or a small fee if you park yourself (5-10 euros max unless you valet) when you are in rural areas it's similar to being in the midwest and there are parking lots everywhere. city parking (night on the town) can be hazardous and you can incur damage from fellow motorists.

when in austria: in vienna the city is very compact and likewise space is very limited, very expensive (50 bucks a night or more)

when in switzerland: valet parking, underground self parking is generally available, and as with everything in switzerland, very expensive. the swiss are very blingy and love their cars so the best ones will be out front so the valets can stare at them.

when in france: secure parking is hard to come by, and if you show up with a german car the hotel staff will treat you like a german which is not always preferred

when in italy: northern italy and central italy (including como, the tuscan region and florence) had adequate parking although the majority of hotels or inns did not have covered parking- merely courtyard stuff...I never had to pay extra if I asked nice enough...Italians love their cars! I also got hassled by some carbineri outside modena the night before a track day and as a gesture of goodwill I let one of the cops drive my gt3. probably the best night he's had on the job and a total riot for me! hilarious....

amsterdam
: street parking is policed HEAVILY. if you fail to pay or your meter runs out you will get a boot on your car. personal experience with this one.

The best part of driving in europe is the ease of travel- you have tons of flexibility and if you drive at night you can get from major cities to new major cities in just a few hours.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

pics or it didn't happen...cops with my gt3 in modena, italy

and take soft sided luggage! so you can fit it in your car:
Old 08-18-2012, 06:03 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

typical courtyard style hotel parking in como, italy
Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
amsterdam[/B]: street parking is policed HEAVILY. if you fail to pay or your meter runs out you will get a boot on your car. personal experience with this one.
Amsterdam is bicycle territory. Parking is horribly expensive and there are better ways to spend your day with a GT3 then crawling through stop and go traffic in a city center while being swamped by so many bicycles that you think they just come falling from the sky.

The only good reason to visit The Netherlands for car-related reasons is either Zandvoort or Assen. And Assen is waaaaay up north in The Netherlands.

This is a big IMO, but I would try to spend as much time as possible enjoying the car when coming to Europe. This means skipping Belgium and The Netherlands unless you want to visit the local race tracks (we do have Spa Francorchamps ) and sticking to Germany/France/Switzerland/Italy/Austria for driving pleasure (and a visit to the Porsche museum). City trips in Europe can be very nice, but do those with the missus and a Visa with a big spending limit for shopping

Also something interesting to know about Spain. People get taught there that the bumpers on a car are used for, ehm, bumping, so they put good use to them when parking their cars. Every car over there has scratches and dents so be VERY aware of where you park. Just a few weeks ago a friend of mine witnessed some locals parking in a very large space on the street and just backing right into the car behind them, a Swiss Evo in pristine condition. The owner saw what happened and when he went to complain the Spanish dudes got out of the car and wanted to start a fight

They also don't pay any attention when opening the car door, so even in parking lots they just slam the door into the car next to them. So if you visit Spain better get a very decent parking spot in a hotel or sth.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:27 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Also something interesting to know about Spain. People get taught there that the bumpers on a car are used for, ehm, bumping, so they put good use to them when parking their cars. Every car over there has scratches and dents so be VERY aware of where you park. Just a few weeks ago a friend of mine witnessed some locals parking in a very large space on the street and just backing right into the car behind them, a Swiss Evo in pristine condition. The owner saw what happened and when he went to complain the Spanish dudes got out of the car and wanted to start a fight
I only go to spain to party and eat paella...driving seemed completely suicidal
Old 08-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If wanting to keep a car in Europe for more than a few months, then I advise investigating the Swiss tourist registration scheme, this also gives you access to major international insurance companies at sensible rates that take into account whatever no claims bonus you may have built up.

Not mentioned above are LEZ issues (low emission zones), Telepass accounts (for tolls) and some of the Vignette options, see http://tolltickets.com/

For choice, I would pick up local plates rather than US plates.

After some experience, I prefer to ship cars by air. If shipping by sea, avoid the equinoctial gale seasons.

For best results, be on the road before dawn. Do this in Munich and you can be eating lunch in Rome, London, Warsaw, Toulouse or Copenhagen.

Get proper GSM mobile phones sorted out.

Barcelona, which I love is the only place where I have actually had to drive at people (knives were out), in Prague I once had the hotel porter park a dozen cars in front of what we were driving, to deter would be car jackers and then handed over a very large sum of money to make sure the porter stayed on the job and didn't call any of his friends. I usually forget to lock the car in Munich.

R+C
Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

very nice.
I plan on euro delivery at some point.

any tips for route or accomidations?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Great thread!!

I've done a bunch of car euro trips but all in rentals or loaners.
Shipping my own car is a bucket list item.

I always try to make Munich home base because my wife is from there and her mom lives near there. Very central and close to the alpen roads not to be missed.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:50 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
very nice.
I plan on euro delivery at some point.

any tips for route or accomidations?
I recommend checking the BMW Euro delivery forums for route suggestions. Those guys probably have the best information on routes and accommodation. From Munich, you can head down towards Garmisch on A95, which I found to be free of traffic a few times I visited and it is unrestricted. Once in Garmisch, you have number of options on routes through the Alps. There is a book called, "Motorcycle journey through the Alps and Corsica" which has some great route suggestions.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

re: insurance, when I tried the GEICO route they denied me coverage as I made the mistake of indicating that I was essentially "touring" and not "residing" somewhere YMMV.

Since then it was suggested that ADAC "tourist" insurance might be a possibility. Although I think this is probably 3rd party, fire & theft and not comprehensive.

Probably the "simplest" way to do this is to take Euro delivery of a new car and request up to 6 months of coverage (the maximum you may obtain) get the car in March/April ... obviously Porsche
offers this, as do BMW, Audi and MB...

Another note I believe is relevant is that a car registered on foreign plates (i.e US) may remain temporarily in the EU (while the foreign registration is current) for up the 6 months without having to register in a member country.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Insurance seems the only issue
Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Insurance seems the only issue
pretty much (of course you have to hold clear title on the car in order to import/export).

I think GEICO would have provided coverage if it could have been documented that the car was temporarily "homed" in europe (preferably in a garage) rather than taking a vacation there.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I seem to recall from an earlier thread about this that there was some complexity about clearing German customs (wrt taxes/tarrifs) that could be avoided (according to someone) by bringing the car into Belgium???

just a vague recollection...

Quick Reply: Draft: Visit Europe with your GT3