Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Or buy a car and sell it when it gets state side:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...nfoInsReg.aspx

M3 I guess...

C63 could work I guess, wonder if AMG models qualify : http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/europe...lusive_savings
Old 08-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

yep in fact I knew a guy that did just that, bought an E92 M3, drove it in Germany for a while, then when if got back to NA sold it ...

I looked into doing ED on a E63 Sport Wagon, seemed like it was a special request, and there was no ED discount...

of course now that Porsche ED is back, this is also an option, and you can extend coverage for up to 6 months.

how about fractional ownership of a 996.2 RS white/blue stored and maintained @ manthey?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Fractional ownership would be easy to do with 3-4 friends. Problem is getting pulled over and your name is not on the papers?

C63 is on the list.
I wonder what hit I would take on this car when it arrives with say 5K miles:
Attached Images  

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 08-25-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Maybe a 2013 Cayman? 991 seems a bit expensive..
Or would the sedan sell easier?

M3 is certainly cheaper:
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lack of insurance availability on a one off Touristfahren car is difficult enough but when I factored in the currency risk on a 25.000 Euro bond requirement the risk curve just go too steep and it no longer made sense. If the Euro were to devalue meaningfully or worse, break, the EU does not cover you on currency depreciation or total loss. This is why the Euro delivery program on a new buy or lease works so welll IMO if you just want to check it off the bucket list. Put the currency risk back on the mfg not to mention you get their economies of scale for insurance, shipping charges, risk of damage or loss. The best of all worlds is to just keep a GT here on a permanent basis. Import it, buy one, do whatever it takes because once you start using these cars here the way they were intended driving a sports car in the States becomes less and less appealing.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Fractional ownership would be easy to do with 3-4 friends. Problem is getting pulled over and your name is not on the papers?

C63 is on the list.
I wonder what hit I would take on this car when it arrives with say 5K miles:
I would say there are about 11k of worthless options on this spec:

CF trim, leather (I like the mbtex better than leather), and development package (the biggest scam of all - you can get 520hp from a simple $1000 ecu flash).

The only mandatory options are the xenon lights (stock halogen suck) and LSD, but the Multimedia package and keyless go is nice too.

But ultimately, the C63 sucks as a track car. Especially the 2012+ with the single wet clutch. The tranny overheats very quickly and goes into limp mode.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

my thoughts tend towards the used 996.2 GT3 Clubsport (perhaps with some manthey mods on it already) or a used M3 CSL...

for some sort of factional deal I think you'd need some type of german LLC-like entity as the owner...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Maybe a 2013 Cayman? 991 seems a bit expensive..
Or would the sedan sell easier?

M3 is certainly cheaper:
The V8 M3 is not exactly the greatest ring car, its too heavy, and its brakes will not sustain many fast laps ... it get spanked senseless by pretty much anything with a GT3 badge on the back of it! an E46 (CSL) stripper is a much better bet.

A stripped out 7.2 C2S might do the business with the right options ...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decent used M3 CSLs are very expensive, still and the brakes have to be replaced with something from Movit. They are great for the ring.

Do not knock sat nav, finding your way around in a strange country with strange rules and language takes a bit of getting used to, the sat nav can be a saviour.

There are some Cayman around with supercharged GT3 engines and inverted GT3 boxes. These are ace for the ring, but I can't say where they all are, I think somebody in Aachen has several.....

R+C
Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Decent used M3 CSLs are very expensive, still and the brakes have to be replaced with something from Movit. They are great for the ring.

Do not knock sat nav, finding your way around in a strange country with strange rules and language takes a bit of getting used to, the sat nav can be a saviour.

There are some Cayman around with supercharged GT3 engines and inverted GT3 boxes. These are ace for the ring, but I can't say where they all are, I think somebody in Aachen has several.....

R+C
+1
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Just came across this thread...started looking into taking my 993 to Europe based on a thread in the 993 forum.

Some info I have collected so far:

Hagerty will insure cars both during transport and while in Europe. I have not gotten a quote from them yet.

https://www.hagerty.com/Collector-ca...erseas-touring

So far I like Wallenius for shipping. They only do ro-ro but move cars for Porsche and almost everyone else.
They have a weekly schedule to a number of US ports and if you do ro-ro they only need the car 4-5 days in advance. I just got a quote for Charleston to Zeebrugge for just over $1000. I have read in a number of places that German customs at times does impose a "deposit" but this does not appear to ever be an issue in Belgium. I beleive the cost coming back is a little more but need to get a quote to confirm.
It appears you can work directly with them if you wish. Another RLer confirmed this.

At this price point taking your own Porsche for a month or two (or six!) makes a lot of sense...and a lot of fun.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

Imagine the looks you'd get tooling around Europe with NY plates on the car LOL.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by il pirata
Just came across this thread...started looking into taking my 993 to Europe based on a thread in the 993 forum.

Some info I have collected so far:

Hagerty will insure cars both during transport and while in Europe. I have not gotten a quote from them yet.

https://www.hagerty.com/Collector-ca...erseas-touring

So far I like Wallenius for shipping. They only do ro-ro but move cars for Porsche and almost everyone else.
They have a weekly schedule to a number of US ports and if you do ro-ro they only need the car 4-5 days in advance. I just got a quote for Charleston to Zeebrugge for just over $1000. I have read in a number of places that German customs at times does impose a "deposit" but this does not appear to ever be an issue in Belgium. I beleive the cost coming back is a little more but need to get a quote to confirm.
It appears you can work directly with them if you wish. Another RLer confirmed this.

At this price point taking your own Porsche for a month or two (or six!) makes a lot of sense...and a lot of fun.
this is tremendous news ... I actually use Haggerty to insure my car in the US as they are the best deal in Ca...
Old 01-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Imagine the looks you'd get tooling around Europe with NY plates on the car LOL.
it came in pretty handy when I was back home in 2005 ... blowing through speed cameras ...
Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting topic! Thanks!

Not meant to doubt OP RO/RO shipping estimate, yet the figure of $1500-$3000 is for 20' ft container. RO/RO is a much cheaper option, circa $1000.

Quick Reply: Draft: Visit Europe with your GT3