Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS 4.0 Wearing MovIt 396/380mm Billet Brakes, Volk Racing G12, Akropovic Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3RS 4.0 Wearing MovIt 396/380mm Billet Brakes, Volk Racing G12, Akropovic Evolution

Recipe:
Start with 2011 GT3RS 4.0, stir in Akrapovic Evolution (valved) full titanium exhaust system, add Rays Volk Racing G12 forged aluminum centerlock wheels in Matte Black and finish off with MovIt Carbon/Silicon/Carbide 396mm front/380mm rear rotors and billet brake calipers.

Results:
Mighty tasty dish best served piping hot at the track.

Preparation notes:
Everyone already knows about the Akrapovic and from some other posts of mine about the G12's so I will focus on the MovIt brake system. Full disclosure: I have had a relationship with MovIt as a new product Guinea Pig for approx 20 months. My kit was subsidized in recognition of the time and effort I put in to assist in the development of the system you see.

Front rotors are monolithic carbon/silicon/carbide 396mm diameter (stock is 380mm), 40mm thick (OE ~34mm).
Rear rotors are monolithic carbon/silicon/carbide 380mm diameter (stock is 350mm), 32mm thick (OE ~28mm).
MovIt calipers are billet and deformation PSI is twice that of OE (no more beveled pads). Massively strong.

Weight vs OE PCCB is approx +20lbs total and vs OE steel -24lbs. The MovIt rotors will never wear out or warp and can go from car to car (ad infinitum). Pad life should be x3-4 vs OE. Beveling will be only a sad memory (proven on my Spyder MovIt system). Single pin retention system allows for super-easy pad changes front and rear with no caliper removal. I chose to eliminate the pad wear sensor with my own solution (see pic).

Bottom line is this: the performance matches the inve$tment. Fully functional mods: exhaust -37 lbs, wheels -16lbs, brakes -24lbs = -77lbs (40lbs rotating/unsprung!) with increased performance on all counts. MovIt is distributed in USA through Tom Frederico tom@tfent.com. They offer a oversize rotor only and a full rotor/caliper kit. I thoroughly enjoy using JACKPOINT Porsche specific jackstands (a non-sponsored endorsement).

As I sometimes like to do, there are some interesting tidbits in the photos below the eagle-eyed among you may pick up on

Glorious, total, overkill. A beautiful thing...

Pr0n:
Attached Images              

Last edited by savyboy; 04-20-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

why no cage?

is it a street car / no track
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Incredible. Savvy, you know you need to post more often right? That 4.0 is in a class of it's own.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Izzone
why no cage?

is it a street car / no track
I quit track, only do cars and coffee now. Don't want any range 1/2 overrevs to kill resale value.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I quit track, only do cars and coffee now. Don't want any range 1/2 overrevs to kill resale value.

Slow....ban him

or post pics of your cup
Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No anti rattle hardware?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hardback
Incredible. Savvy, you know you need to post more often right? That 4.0 is in a class of it's own.
Very kind Carey, thank you!

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
No anti rattle hardware?
It's there.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Them's some big brakes Pete! cars and coffee, why don't I believe that.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Big brakes, wheels, and exhaust!

any notable difference for braking over stock?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

Drewl..I pay for the gas (No brake wear right?) if I get to test the brakes at Sebring this summer.
You know to see if it hold up OK.

She's sitting really pretty. Let's call it the "Savyboy 4.0 ultimate edition"!
You do need to add a roll bar and seat belts of course....Secret CUP fcar or no secret CUP car.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is definitely something else if the 4.0 isn't getting tracked
Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Them's some big brakes Pete! cars and coffee, why don't I believe that.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Big brakes, wheels, and exhaust!

any notable difference for braking over stock?
Too soon to tell, only drove it home and tried to bed them in which was...challenging...on the street. On the Spyder with similar setup, the pads wore 1mm over 4 track days and the pedal was like stepping on a brick- I loved it. Remains to be seen (this weekend at "CnC" ) ) how this one performs at the limits (tail wag/trailbraking/modulation/ice pedal). Will report on Monday.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Drewl..I pay for the gas (No brake wear right?) if I get to test the brakes at Sebring this summer.
You know to see if it hold up OK.

She's sitting really pretty. Let's call it the "Savyboy 4.0 ultimate edition"!
You do need to add a roll bar and seat belts of course....Secret CUP fcar or no secret CUP car.
Lol

The local track, where I am sticking to this year is very safe compared to others and I am going to pit bad luck vs improved vehicle dynamics/lower center of gravity. I tried a Simpson/Safety Solution R3 H&N for 3 point belts and it is terrible with our fine carbon buckets. Shoved my back forward so had to return it. The Hybrid Pro is superb if you have 6 point belts, much better than HANS.

No Cup. The reality of that fantasy is that they are crazy money and hassle to support for DE/TT. And not street legal. I want to drive to "CnC", have fun, and drive home. That is my position for Campaign 2012 and I am sticking to it.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete,

Nice set up on those brakes.

I also really like those matte finish black wheels....PM me whenever you think of changing them...they would look great on my black 4.0

Not sure about your new car and coffee attitude....weren't you seen dragging a corvette recently..?

Derek
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 PM
savyboy
Drifting

PS- meant to mention that for those who have no idea who "MovIt" is (which would be 99.2% of folks), they were a technology partner with Renault F1 in 2011 (look on the front nose cone of the F1 cars) and will be an OE optional brake on the Loti (Lotuses?) coming out over the next few years. And maybe on other cars.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by jenk12m
There is definitely something else if the 4.0 isn't getting tracked
Nor will it be driven in the rain or looked at askance...

Originally Posted by DRPM
Pete,

Nice set up on those brakes.

I also really like those matte finish black wheels....PM me whenever you think of changing them...they would look great on my black 4.0

Not sure about your new car and coffee attitude....weren't you seen dragging a corvette recently..?

Derek
I don't know who was dragging the 'Vettes. Certainly not me. And I love my Rays, not selling them. Ever.

Quick Reply: GT3RS 4.0 Wearing MovIt 396/380mm Billet Brakes, Volk Racing G12, Akropovic Evolution