Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS 4.0 Wearing MovIt 396/380mm Billet Brakes, Volk Racing G12, Akropovic Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Too soon to tell, only drove it home and tried to bed them in which was...challenging...on the street. On the Spyder with similar setup, the pads wore 1mm over 4 track days and the pedal was like stepping on a brick- I loved it. Remains to be seen (this weekend at "CnC" ) ) how this one performs at the limits (tail wag/trailbraking/modulation/ice pedal). Will report on Monday.

Lol

The local track, where I am sticking to this year is very safe compared to others and I am going to pit bad luck vs improved vehicle dynamics/lower center of gravity. I tried a Simpson/Safety Solution R3 H&N for 3 point belts and it is terrible with our fine carbon buckets. Shoved my back forward so had to return it. The Hybrid Pro is superb if you have 6 point belts, much better than HANS.

No Cup. The reality of that fantasy is that they are crazy money and hassle to support for DE/TT. And not street legal. I want to drive to "CnC", have fun, and drive home. That is my position for Campaign 2012 and I am sticking to it.
Cage is for other idiot on track, to each his own
Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I rode a train with smaller brakes the other day....
Old 04-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Pete, when you installed the Akrapovic Evolution system, did you also remap the ECU as recommended on their site? What changes does it require?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:30 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Nicely done Pete! I wondered when the mod-bug would get you started on the 4.0!! Top rung as usual!

Soooooo...... What's next up? (You know there's a "next up")
I think I am done modding right here. Very nice driving to the track today, posting a first place in Club Trials, (full second over 2nd) and driving home. No muss/fuss, just adjust tire pressures. The car is so potent as it is, it is almost embarrassing. It just destroys anything other than full-on race cars, and those too unless very well driven.

The performance of the MovIt's was phenomenal. Progressive initial bite, less grabby than OE PCCB. Easy to modulate on release and for trailbraking. I never did get them to smell so temps never got that high. They do feel broken in finally.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Ban him? Can't.. My CnC car wants to ask his CnC on a date. Go figure..
Uhhh, huhuhuh, hey baby! Huhhuhhuuhh...

Originally Posted by senna
You are joking about cars and coffee right?

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
no, it's the new wave of re-hab
Lol!

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Pete

many years ago I was driving up to the lake from Carson, there is (used to be?) a series of corners you could take real fast with the sun in your eyes, but you had to count the corners, that time I miscounted and flew into a 60 mph corner at well over 100. I took my hands off the wheel and folded my arms tight ready to roll, the car just said 'OK, boss' and sorted itself out, somewhat embarrassed I retook the wheel and carried on, the girl in the passenger seat thought I was showing off!

There's plenty of great driving in NV

R+C
Probably Hwy 50 if coming from Carson. It is a twisty turnsy road like the one by my house- Mt Rose Highway (pics below from yesterday). Sounds scary! Hope she didn't wet the seat Sounds like you maybe were here when Porsche was headquartered in Reno?

Originally Posted by Nizer
Bring fire suppression and hair gel..
Heh heh...

Originally Posted by RSRanger
I am not in the 99.2%. Am very well aware of the Movit history and quality.
Awesome brakes for "CnC"
My question is, did you compare with the Endless product line?
Sweet 4.0 and enjoy.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
You are "in the know" Mr. Ranger! At the time I initiated this whole project no one had anything like what MovIt had, primarily the CSC rotors. I wanted weight reduction vs steel and increased life of the brakes and no more freaking beveled pads. With that said i did convert to Endless RF-650 brake fluid which I installed with the rest of the system in this car. I ran that in my blue car as well the latter part of last year.

I just looked at the Endless web site, some good looking brake systems there.

Originally Posted by Izzone
Cage is for other idiot on track, to each his own
I hear you brother. I am in deep poop if my pal with his 3900 lb GTR t-bones me.

Originally Posted by SharpMan
I rode a train with smaller brakes the other day....
Lol!

Originally Posted by Medicopter
Pete, when you installed the Akrapovic Evolution system, did you also remap the ECU as recommended on their site? What changes does it require?
Yes. No choice unless you don't mind looking at that after-cat O2 sensor generated CEL all the time. The 100 cell cats will trigger a CEL. You can either send ECU to EVOMSit or FVD has a OBDII flashloader. I had EVOM's on blue car and tried a FVD this time. On both I specified that they touch nothing except to open the O2 sensor parameters. Some "tuners" increase the throttle ratio (less pedal movement results in more throttle opening) and which is not good for serious track nuts .
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I think I am done modding right here. Very nice driving to the track today, posting a first place in Club Trials, (full second over 2nd) and driving home. No muss/fuss, just adjust tire pressures. The car is so potent as it is, it is almost embarrassing. It just destroys anything other than full-on race cars, and those too unless very well driven.

The performance of the MovIt's was phenomenal. Progressive initial bite, less grabby than OE PCCB. Easy to modulate on release and for trailbraking. I never did get them to smell so temps never got that high. They do feel broken in finally.

Uhhh, huhuhuh, hey baby! Huhhuhhuuhh...

Lol!

Probably Hwy 50 if coming from Carson. It is a twisty turnsy road like the one by my house- Mt Rose Highway (pics below from yesterday). Sounds scary! Hope she didn't wet the seat Sounds like you maybe were here when Porsche was headquartered in Reno?

Heh heh...

You are "in the know" Mr. Ranger! At the time I initiated this whole project no one had anything like what MovIt had, primarily the CSC rotors. I wanted weight reduction vs steel and increased life of the brakes and no more freaking beveled pads. With that said i did convert to Endless RF-650 brake fluid which I installed with the rest of the system in this car. I ran that in my blue car as well the latter part of last year.

I just looked at the Endless web site, some good looking brake systems there.

I hear you brother. I am in deep poop if my pal with his 3900 lb GTR t-bones me.

Lol!

Yes. No choice unless you don't mind looking at that after-cat O2 sensor generated CEL all the time. The 100 cell cats will trigger a CEL. You can either send ECU to EVOMSit or FVD has a OBDII flashloader. I had EVOM's on blue car and tried a FVD this time. On both I specified that they touch nothing except to open the O2 sensor parameters. Some "tuners" increase the throttle ratio (less pedal movement results in more throttle opening) and which is not good for serious track nuts .
Which track Pete? What laptimes u were getting? Regards. Mike
Old 04-22-2012, 03:58 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MovIt systems are amazing.

Cost to match. I think these brakes are probably better on a CUP because you'd get your money's worth. For 20K Euro I can think of a lot of other upgrades...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Which track Pete? What laptimes u were getting? Regards. Mike
Reno Fernley Raceway Config H, 2.1 miles, my best time yesterday was 1:53.54. That is ~.5 second faster than my blue car on 265/345 Hoosier R6 last year in similar ambient temp and faster than any other posted times from any Track Trail or Club Trial last year.

In transitions is where the 4.0 shines, tight twisty stuff it is a ballerina and gains huge on cars like GTR. On a straight a GTR runs even with me.

Originally Posted by bmardini
MovIt systems are amazing.

Cost to match. I think these brakes are probably better on a CUP because you'd get your money's worth. For 20K Euro I can think of a lot of other upgrades...
More so than other mods, this was a deeply personal choice. I wanted a truly bulletproof and light weight brake system and this was the answer for me. It would not be the right value proposition for a lot of other people.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Thread Pete
Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Reno Fernley Raceway Config H, 2.1 miles, my best time yesterday was 1:53.54. That is ~.5 second faster than my blue car on 265/345 Hoosier R6 last year in similar ambient temp and faster than any other posted times from any Track Trail or Club Trial last year.

In transitions is where the 4.0 shines, tight twisty stuff it is a ballerina and gains huge on cars like GTR. On a straight a GTR runs even with me.

More so than other mods, this was a deeply personal choice. I wanted a truly bulletproof and light weight brake system and this was the answer for me. It would not be the right value proposition for a lot of other people.
Thank god u doing a few trackdays in the 4.0 : ). I fell off my chair when u mentioned just doing "coffee and donuts". I have no garage queen or collector mentality- just drive the **** out of it. I probably strip the 4.0 too if it was my only track car. Have to try Reno fernley someday. U got vids of that weekend event? Mike
Old 04-22-2012, 01:25 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20k euro is cheap for lifetime rotors
Old 04-22-2012, 01:57 PM
AiRick
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Pete , Thanks again for the instruction on Sat and the ride! Ill see you at the next cars and coffee. Eric
Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
20k euro is cheap for lifetime rotors
What are you using...solid gold rotors!?! ;-)

Cheap? Er, no. Good value perhaps.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:44 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree this was the right choice. some people baulk at the cost of proper braking systems, but for me, i see value when i want guaranteed reassurance they will do their job time and time again. if the maintenance costs are lower over the long-term, then even better. my momentum car corners and brakes better than it goes. and i like it that way. it allows you to push the envelope a little more knowing you have great back-up.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
What are you using...solid gold rotors!?! ;-)

Cheap? Er, no. Good value perhaps.
Good value is what I meant
savy can move them from car to car and re use them over and over
Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Thank god u doing a few trackdays in the 4.0 : ). I fell off my chair when u mentioned just doing "coffee and donuts". I have no garage queen or collector mentality- just drive the **** out of it. I probably strip the 4.0 too if it was my only track car. Have to try Reno fernley someday. U got vids of that weekend event? Mike
Couldn't get the camera working :-( And I run a very unorthodox line, can't give away all my secrets...lol. Me and the GTR guy run it and nobody else seems to ever try it

I have a vid from today uploading now of the same config with a different host group. You got to come try the track, so technical. I always learn a new tweak every time I run it. Very challenging to do well - cleanly, smoothly, fast. Yet forgiving unless you do something incredible stupid. Unlike Thunderhill or LS which will hurt you in a hurry in multiple places.

Originally Posted by AiRick
Pete , Thanks again for the instruction on Sat and the ride! Ill see you at the next cars and coffee. Eric
Eric! You are welcome. I hope you had a good time and didn't get tired of hearing me in your ear Such a pretty 993, love the yellow with black nose accents. So dang hot, I was exhausted when I got home. Working with Jess and Jorge at ProControl today finished me off, I am going to the couch...lol. HUGE turnout of some cool cars.

Hey- HOD "Cars and Coffee" on May 12/13 at RFR, sign up and come out? Most likely running the big 4 mile config, so much fun it is hard to believe it is legal.

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i agree this was the right choice. some people baulk at the cost of proper braking systems, but for me, i see value when i want guaranteed reassurance they will do their job time and time again. if the maintenance costs are lower over the long-term, then even better. my momentum car corners and brakes better than it goes. and i like it that way. it allows you to push the envelope a little more knowing you have great back-up.
I was so burned out on flipping the stupid pads and then only getting 5-6 total days out of them. Jeez.

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Good value is what I meant
savy can move them from car to car and re use them over and over
Yes Sir, you got it If one puts pencil to paper a case can be made. Challenging due to our modern day "disposable" mindset.

Quick Reply: GT3RS 4.0 Wearing MovIt 396/380mm Billet Brakes, Volk Racing G12, Akropovic Evolution