Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS 4.0 Wearing MovIt 396/380mm Billet Brakes, Volk Racing G12, Akropovic Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:49 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpoint
Hey Pete - the video is like icing on the cake. Great thread!

Is one of your tidbits the alignment of the "RS" in the center cap with the "Pirelli" on the tires?
Close! Take another look at one of the pictures. Clear plastic center caps generated from a Rapid Prototyping 3D printer.

Originally Posted by stujelly
nice job as always
Thanks! I promise you it was a long path to get to the final result! lol... Still some tweaks needed to get it all 100% perfect.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Savyboy- First of all what a great car you got there, I bet its phenomenal on the track !!

I have a couple of questions regarding your movit brakes.

Previously you had the "Replacement" movit rotors that you installed both on your gt2rs and 3.8 gt3rs, how would you compare them with your "Complete Gen 3" that you have now ? I know the size difference and also different caliper but has the stopping power have improved a lot ? Is it worth getting the complete kits as you have rather than the replacement you previously had ?

The reason I'm asking as I'm considering taking the pccb off my car and go with movit.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

This thread is ****. Mods should move this to the XXX section. At least slap an NC-17 label to it for pete's sake...
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTSilver
Savyboy- First of all what a great car you got there, I bet its phenomenal on the track !!

I have a couple of questions regarding your movit brakes.

Previously you had the "Replacement" movit rotors that you installed both on your gt2rs and 3.8 gt3rs, how would you compare them with your "Complete Gen 3" that you have now ? I know the size difference and also different caliper but has the stopping power have improved a lot ? Is it worth getting the complete kits as you have rather than the replacement you previously had ?

The reason I'm asking as I'm considering taking the pccb off my car and go with movit.

Thanks
Let me clarify stopping power vs stopping distance as I think it is likely some folks may unknowingly confuse the two for being the same. OE steels/PCCB and MovIt all stop in the same distance as far as I know. It is about heat management, complete lack of fade, lifetime+ life of rotors, consistent brake feel and bite across a huge temperature range and no change when wet. Much longer pad life (run cooler/larger swept area). Minimization/elimination of tapered pad wear. No caliper removal needed for rear pad replacement. Versus steels you gain reduction of unsprung weight and rotating mass, versus OE PCCB you retain much of the weight advantage while gaining a lifetime rotor.

OE caliper flexing under heavy braking contributes to tapered pad wear. The MovIt billet caliper is twice as rigid and you can feel it in the pedal- like a rock. So there are two reasons to go with a full set vs rotors only. I am having an issue with my full oversize kit with gravel getting between the caliper and wheel resulting in wheel scratches, we are trying to figure a solution for that Was not a problem with the rotor only kit. The rotor only kit can also give some pad squeal on track, the full kit is dead quiet (although there is a new pad coming out, a so-called P45, that might alleviate the squeal). Some pro/cons to think about.

If finances allow, and the value proposition makes sense for you, then by all means contact Tom (the USA distributor) and see what you guys come up with?

After two track days use on my full kit I am thrilled with the performance. Progressive on application and release (trailbraking), same pedal feel and bite on the first lap as the last. Brake pedal is always like a rock. Very confidence inspiring.

Originally Posted by CRex
This thread is ****. Mods should move this to the XXX section. At least slap an NC-17 label to it for pete's sake...
Lol...

This whole forum is bad for everyone's wallet!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

savyboy
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

very well-explained, pete!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 AM
lopro
Banned

great car savy. NIce additions. Love it. The matte black wheels really set it off

Love the video. thanks for posting this.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Saturday Reno-Fernley Sweet 4 mile Config B, one of the most fun and least known tracks in the west. Full screen 1080HD if you click to go directly to YouTube:

Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 755 Posts

I'm too poor...
Old 05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM
savyboy
Drifting

http://youtu.be/GpgwhtdXMcQ

Last edited by savyboy; 05-14-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, savyboy, wow. This is some seriously good stuff.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Saturday Reno-Fernley Sweet 4 mile Config B, one of the most fun and least known tracks in the west. Full screen 1080HD if you click to go directly to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAXjN...e_gdata_player
I cannot believe how much run off there is there.......track looks very safe
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Wow, savyboy, wow. This is some seriously good stuff.

Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome. It is good stuff. Just DE/Track day stuff at 7 or 8/10ths but good stuff nonetheless.

Originally Posted by Izzone
I cannot believe how much run off there is there.......track looks very safe
After having some personal Code Browns and seeing friends break cars at other tracks I thought to myself why not just enjoy and remove a lot of risk and run my favorite and home track in 2012? Voila. I agree with you and think it is a very safe track as well. And also one of the most technical ones on the west coast. Near-autocross in some sections with a half mile front straight where GT2/GT3s will see 130-150mph.

With fear of jinxing it by saying it, I have yet to see a "crashed" car in three years of track events. Broken windshields, bent wheels, and some undercar damage from offs, but that is it.

Great location to have all the east coast cars trailered to in the fall for a private three-day track event? We'll rent the track and safety crew, you can camp in the paddock under the desert stars or do a hotel in Fernley a few miles away.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 755 Posts

Next years Mancation is OLOA but west coast is high on the list....

Quick Reply: GT3RS 4.0 Wearing MovIt 396/380mm Billet Brakes, Volk Racing G12, Akropovic Evolution