Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Hoosier R6 longevity & cost vs R compound street tire AT THE TRACK

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

Drove 40 miles and back to track with Hoosiers before...wasn't an issue.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,594 Likes on 739 Posts

Possible, but they are so light and thin it would not take too much to get a flat. Rain is stop or suicide..
Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

How about R888 on track? Also limited sizes though
Old 03-21-2012, 05:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,594 Likes on 739 Posts

R888 no good.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:50 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
How about R888 on track?
If you love driving on black ice, you will love R888 on track.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
Can you describe this more? What happens? When does it happen, etc?
You go deep into a brake zone, hard on the brakes, firm brake pedal but the car keeps on going and doesn't really sow down.

PCCB is famous for this but I've had this happen on even my Carrera S running Pagid Yellows. I now brake earlier, less brake, hardly even get into ABS, just a tickle sometimes and no more " Ice Mode"...oh and my laps are faster this way. Safer too.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
If you love driving on black ice, you will love R888 on track.
R888 is no where near as bad as you all make them out to be as long as you run low hot pressures...no more than 35 hot...I run 32/34 hot and not try to run them to the cords from full tread. I agree they are not a long living as RA1 but RA1 has been out of production for our cars something like 3 years now.

So far I'm liking the R888 a little better than MPSC in stock 19" sizes. This weekend at Sebring will tell me a lot more.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R888's are not a fan favorite around here
Old 03-21-2012, 06:47 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

Why would ice mode be tire dependent? This is the part I do not really understand...

I have PCCBs, R6s, never experienced this. I've seen a Lotus go off and roll, supposedly due to ice mode as was discussed after the fact. Scary.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 99 Posts

This is mostly for anybody who doesn't yet have dedicated track wheels, or only has 1 set. If you going to be doing this "track" thing for a while, and you really want to make your tires last, then first invest in a second set of track wheels. They will ultimately pay for themselves and give you a lot more options and flexibility to take care of your tires over the course of a weekend and a season.

Examples:

1. Say you show up for a 3 day weekend with a set of used tires and a brand new set. You can scrub in the new set lightly, then run the used tires for the first 1-2 days, then switch to the new tires for the remainder of the event. This allows you to NOT cord the used set by inducing too much outside or inside wear. So by not using them and flipping them when you get home, they are still available for duty on the next weekend.

2. The wear rate of front is much less than rear, so having a second set of rears gives you the option of completing wearing out your most used set a the track, then switching to the next set of rears. This also increases your total use/$ spent, because you then don't have to dismount the used set for a new set prior to your next event, because you are afraid you won't have enough rear tire for the weekend. Tires you don't cord at the track almost never get re-mounted up for a "1 or 2 day" event to cord, they just sit in the garage. Drive them until they totally heat cycle out (R6), or they cord (RA1/NT01).

3. As discussed, Flipping tires extends the life of tires by as much as 20%, and since you cannot swap from front to back (like I can do on my M3), then you need to do everything you can to extend tire life. But by having a second set of wheels/tires, then you don't have to worry about flipping tires at the track, you can do it when you get home before your next event. Just swap side to side while at the track. Been doing this for years and it works like a charm.

4. Different tracks wear tires differently, so in the case you go to some events where you get erratic wear, or it takes you a day or two to get your pressures right, you then don't have to worry about destroying a single set of tires for the weekend. Some tracks/surfaces can vary as much as 1-2 degrees in terms of camber requirements, and we obviously can't change alignments on the spot.

5. Anybody with a .1 and steel brakes has zero excuses not to have 2 sets of OZ Allegeritas, they are dirt cheap. Everybody else is kinda screwed, $$.

The list goes on and on, but like I said, in addition to all the items mentioned, a second set of track wheels is the ticket. I know, it sucks paying for a second set, but find the most affordable second set you can, mind your tire temps and pressures, and have some fun!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Mvez, you left out....you need a truck and trailer to do any of this. I don't have the truck and trailer just to haul a car around to the track...so I drive to the track, have fun, drive home.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Mvez, you left out....you need a truck and trailer to do any of this. I don't have the truck and trailer just to haul a car around to the track...so I drive to the track, have fun, drive home.
haha, I get your point, but if on R-comps, drive to the track on one set, and have somebody you know bring another set with them. There's always somebody who has plenty of room that tows. I never mind carrying up extra gear for a few of my friends who don't tow.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

New rule

If I have to use scroll bar, I quit reading post

Toyo or bust

60 hc on front

Cord rears in 2-4 days and pull off pile
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
This is mostly for anybody who doesn't yet have dedicated track wheels, or only has 1 set. If you going to be doing this "track" thing for a while, and you really want to make your tires last, then first invest in a second set of track wheels. They will ultimately pay for themselves and give you a lot more options and flexibility to take care of your tires over the course of a weekend and a season.

Examples:

1. Say you show up for a 3 day weekend with a set of used tires and a brand new set. You can scrub in the new set lightly, then run the used tires for the first 1-2 days, then switch to the new tires for the remainder of the event. This allows you to NOT cord the used set by inducing too much outside or inside wear. So by not using them and flipping them when you get home, they are still available for duty on the next weekend.

2. The wear rate of front is much less than rear, so having a second set of rears gives you the option of completing wearing out your most used set a the track, then switching to the next set of rears. This also increases your total use/$ spent, because you then don't have to dismount the used set for a new set prior to your next event, because you are afraid you won't have enough rear tire for the weekend. Tires you don't cord at the track almost never get re-mounted up for a "1 or 2 day" event to cord, they just sit in the garage. Drive them until they totally heat cycle out (R6), or they cord (RA1/NT01).

3. As discussed, Flipping tires extends the life of tires by as much as 20%, and since you cannot swap from front to back (like I can do on my M3), then you need to do everything you can to extend tire life. But by having a second set of wheels/tires, then you don't have to worry about flipping tires at the track, you can do it when you get home before your next event. Just swap side to side while at the track. Been doing this for years and it works like a charm.

4. Different tracks wear tires differently, so in the case you go to some events where you get erratic wear, or it takes you a day or two to get your pressures right, you then don't have to worry about destroying a single set of tires for the weekend. Some tracks/surfaces can vary as much as 1-2 degrees in terms of camber requirements, and we obviously can't change alignments on the spot.

5. Anybody with a .1 and steel brakes has zero excuses not to have 2 sets of OZ Allegeritas, they are dirt cheap. Everybody else is kinda screwed, $$.

The list goes on and on, but like I said, in addition to all the items mentioned, a second set of track wheels is the ticket. I know, it sucks paying for a second set, but find the most affordable second set you can, mind your tire temps and pressures, and have some fun!
I have 2 sets track wheels in addition to the 19" stock rims that have the stock OEM tires. I only use BBS as these are the same wheels on all the Cup cars. I have heard stories of other wheels failing and I am not willing to take that risk for saving $ on cheaper wheels. Yes, I tow my GT3 in a big rig. But come next fall I will not have the GT3 and big rig in FL anymore. Just the new RS parked at Orbit with 8 extra wheels. I will have to rely on the kindness of others to bring my track wheels/tires to Sebring for me. PITA for sure. Guess I will be buying lots of beer at the hotel each night.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No need for a truck and big trailer, a tow hitch behind a GT3 and a small tire trailer (not as baller as Deputy's Yellow Thingy) should suffice.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 longevity & cost vs R compound street tire AT THE TRACK