Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Hoosier R6 longevity & cost vs R compound street tire AT THE TRACK

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Eddie, you are more sideways than me! And that's sayin' somethin'.
Will you read the poem this weekend?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:19 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
He's keeping it for Mosport.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

30 HCs on Hoosiers??? And 30psi?? Wow. I'm lucky to get 20 HCs. I'm happy to get 16. My car is 3400 lbs loaded, and needs closer to 36-38 lbs to reach proper temperatures. If you have pyrometer readings at 30 psi, can you post them?

When I first started running Hoosiers, maybe 5 years go, I could nurse ~25ish+ HCs, but those times were many seconds slower than the car and tires would hold (compared to now). Put differently, finding 2-3 seconds a lap dropped at least that many HCs fom their life. I prefer the fast.

-td
Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I have to try that sometime with Toyo's maybe it will help too?
If you mean 888's, nothing will help, but I speak from hearsay and as far as I can tell, nobody really likes 888's and has ever needed to study the tenths and hundredths of their lap times ... : )

If you mean RA1, I'm out of touch, but when I drove on RA1's, they were famous for defying all reasonable expectations in terms of grip all the way down to the canvas. I know there have been times when the RA1 wasn't available or the compound changed and then was changed back, but I didn't keep track because they didn't have 19's for these newfangled flanged centerlocks.

My current philosophy is to try the PSS (Super Sport) when sizes become available ... slower outright lap times don't matter if the tire is consistent, handles the heat, doesn't chunk out like the Sport Cups, doesn't go rock hard, etc.

If RA1 ever shows up in sizes in 19's in the "original" compound, that will be the reference model. For now, I really can't complain about the R6's and the stock suspension can't take much more stick. I've seen one guy come within ridiculously close times in his RS 4.0 vs his '11 Cup (same day) and my own lap times left no doubt in my mind that I'm not begging for more from the tires, if anything, it's time to go deeper into the safety equipment budget before asking for higher apex speeds or deeper braking points.

If there was a thought for 2012, it would be to go to Hoosier and coordinate an RL group buy. Even if everyone just went in for one set (I think most track junkies would take three or five sets if it meant saving $500+ per set) it would tell Michelin "game over" and it would be a helluva tasty carrot for Toyo to realize "holy lost revenue, batman!" then we might see the RA1 in 19's for the GT3 and RS sizes, then we might see a Sport Cup that's not a ridiculously overpriced answer to a question that nobody asked. Maybe even Pirelli or Avon or Dunlop would offer a slick.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If there was a thought for 2012, it would be to go to Hoosier and coordinate an RL group buy. Even if everyone just went in for one set (I think most track junkies would take three or five sets if it meant saving $500+ per set) it would tell Michelin "game over" and it would be a helluva tasty carrot for Toyo to realize "holy lost revenue, batman!" then we might see the RA1 in 19's for the GT3 and RS sizes, then we might see a Sport Cup that's not a ridiculously overpriced answer to a question that nobody asked. Maybe even Pirelli or Avon or Dunlop would offer a slick.
Amen, brother.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

My current philosophy is to try the PSS (Super Sport) when sizes become available ... slower outright lap times don't matter if the tire is consistent, handles the heat, doesn't chunk out like the Sport Cups, doesn't go rock hard, etc.
I've done about 20 dry laps on my hometrack on PSS and another 20 in pouring rain. Temper your expectations. The limit's obviously much lower, and interestingly I found them less communicative leading up to breakaway. There's very little tire squeal until they actually break loose, at which point you'll hear plenty. But who needs to hear the fart when you can already smell it In the wet they were a pleasant surprise. Excellent lateral grip, "defying reasonable expectations" as another poster put it. Decelerative grip leaves a bit to be desired, but the conditions were downright appalling for me to blame it all on the tire.

Longevity is the biggest surprise here. 40 laps (including a handful of very sideways and occasionally smokey moments) later these things look almost like when they started. Seems to live up to the 280+ treadwear claim...
Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Mvez, you left out....you need a truck and trailer to do any of this. I don't have the truck and trailer just to haul a car around to the track...so I drive to the track, have fun, drive home.
Ummm hello?

New rule

If I have to use scroll bar, I quit reading post

Toyo or bust

60 hc on front

Cord rears in 2-4 days and pull off pile
You can't buy them any more jackass. Quit rubbing it in Hopefully the release this summer will be everything we are expecting and more.

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I have 2 sets track wheels in addition to the 19" stock rims that have the stock OEM tires. I only use BBS as these are the same wheels on all the Cup cars. I have heard stories of other wheels failing and I am not willing to take that risk for saving $ on cheaper wheels. Yes, I tow my GT3 in a big rig. But come next fall I will not have the GT3 and big rig in FL anymore. Just the new RS parked at Orbit with 8 extra wheels. I will have to rely on the kindness of others to bring my track wheels/tires to Sebring for me. PITA for sure. Guess I will be buying lots of beer at the hotel each night.
Come on now wheel snob.... There's plenty of good wheel options out there besides BBS. Not to mention BBS are apparently made of the softest aluminum ever as they bend/dent by just looking at them funny. Those OZ's that were referenced are fantastic and very light. My only issue is that the fronts only come in a 8.5 instead of the optimum 9. Hence why I went with CCW handmedowns from Izzone.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
No need for a truck and big trailer, a tow hitch behind a GT3 and a small tire trailer (not as baller as Deputy's Yellow Thingy) should suffice.
Exactly! And I'm coming up with a new system to make it super easy to take the hitch on and off. Although I do admit I like running at the track with it on. Keeps Randy that much further off my bumper. Tire trailer is easily one of the best track mods I've done so far.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I wonder if it because the Hoosiers are moving on the rims, messing up the computer? Because they generate more grip, I have seen numerous cases of Hoosiers moving on rims. Had a client last weekend where rears moved nearly 180 degrees and fronts 90 degrees. Tire mounters used soap, which is more common than you think

They are much mor eprone to punctures via some object that regular street tires would just laugh at, because they are so thin. I'd avoid it.
Mine rotate at least 180 degrees. Don't even bother having them balanced any more. And they mount them dry. Supposedly you can have the inside surface of the wheel bead blasted and that helps. Don't know where to get that done. HRE has a new track wheel that comes with the surface roughed up. Supposedly it works but you do get slight pressure drop over time due to it not sealing as tight. Wouldn't matter in track conditions though as it is good enough for the day.

R888 blow a$$

I'd rather crawl around track than deal with that unpredictable pos
Agreed. Between the noise and the unpredictable grip... Fail.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Toyo's just as much and that is on BBS, I assume mounted like the mount slicks on race cars. I always mark the tires.

BTW, never had ice mode with Toyo's or Hoosiers, just over ABS-ing once in a while.
My hooters ice every time. Release re engage. Happens going into 7 and 17. Predicable (knock on wood)

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I drove 130 miles each way on Hoosier on my Gallardo. On the way back I got a storm, and drove sideways thru 2 lanes for 30 miles... scary, but fun !
You're a retard
Old 03-22-2012, 09:49 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
jackass [Randy]. wheel snob [Clarke]....
Fail. You're a retard [Rad]
ROTFLMAO
Old 03-22-2012, 09:50 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

yes, every night before bed.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

If you mean 888's, nothing will help, but I speak from hearsay and as far as I can tell, nobody really likes 888's and has ever needed to study the tenths and hundredths of their lap times ... : )

If you mean RA1, I'm out of touch, but when I drove on RA1's, they were famous for defying all reasonable expectations in terms of grip all the way down to the canvas. I know there have been times when the RA1 wasn't available or the compound changed and then was changed back, but I didn't keep track because they didn't have 19's for these newfangled flanged centerlocks.

If RA1 ever shows up in sizes in 19's in the "original" compound, that will be the reference model. For now, I really can't complain about the R6's and the stock suspension can't take much more stick. I've seen one guy come within ridiculously close times in his RS 4.0 vs his '11 Cup (same day) and my own lap times left no doubt in my mind that I'm not begging for more from the tires, if anything, it's time to go deeper into the safety equipment budget before asking for higher apex speeds or deeper braking points.

R888 is garbage, been there done that, waste of money.

We still have a few years worth of RA1's, so hoping for a re-release of 18" RA1's as I have 2 sets of BBS 18". If not Group buy Hoosiers it is.

I will try to put one or 2 sessions on RA1's and switch sets this weekend. perhaps it helps. Or can it be only one session?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm coming up with a new system to make it super easy to take the hitch on and off.
Let me know when your ready with this.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Supposedly you can have the inside surface of the wheel bead blasted and that helps. Don't know where to get that done.

Vortex took my CCW's and had the bead of the wheel blasted/roughed up. It helped a lot.

I was watching the Michelin and Dunlop guys mount race tires during the Sebring 12hr race last Saturday.

1- most all the race wheels have a knurled finish on the bead of the wheel. Much like the Ray's wheels Savyboy is selling.

2- Neither Michelin or Dunlop mount tires dry. I asked a guy from Michelin about mounting dry and he said too much of a risk in damaging the tire bead, too hard to mount if you try to mount dry.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R888 blow a$$

I'd rather crawl around track than deal with that unpredictable pos
hahaha!!! i've had good results.
it's the only semi i've used. so, i've learnt whatever i know on ghetto tyres?
AWESOME!!!!!!!!
can't wait to switch up to luxury tyres, only thing is, i'm not tracking atm
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Save $500 a set?

Let me know how that works out.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 longevity & cost vs R compound street tire AT THE TRACK