Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My 997 GT2 Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

That's a bummer. But you walked away and that's what matters most!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about that , Had the same happen once in the GT3 hit the metal barrier, and once in the 2 i accidently lifted throttle in 3rd gear and it went on snap oversteer and did 4 360's , my brother was in the GT3 chasing me, i was lucky that he didnt smash into me..
The most important thing is that you walked out safe
Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=GTSilver;9229120
Brakes was what ruined my track day. They werent good at all. I have bedded the pads a couple of times before heading to the track but still werent good at all. Had the ABS work sometimes due to braking. I used to brake between the 150-100 metre mark on the straights, the past weekend i was way before 200 metre mark and sometimes it didnt stop !!

Thanks again[/QUOTE]

First and most important is that you are alive and hopefully will be feeling better shortly.

As I reported about 2 years ago, I had a similar situation at Mosport. After much research, I have personally concluded that unfortunately you just found, like I found, and others before you and I found, the limits of the OE ABS module. I can go into a lengthy discussion but I won't as you can search on here about ABS ice-mode.

It doesn't sound like from your description that ABS caused your accident so in this respect you can drive around it - but it was not allowing you to go even faster into corners and improve your time by even more than your reported 4 seconds (which is amazing).

At least one person on Rennlist reported that the RS 4.0 has an updated ABS module that may perform better - but I have not seen a second post after this was mentioned.

If you are serious about continuing this adventure, I would highly recommend that you purchase the Porsche Motorsport Bosche Race ABS Module and do what it takes to have it installed - this will without question fix the issue that you reported as it has I believe 10 levels from Wet Surface to totally off that can be dialed in.

The other piece of research that I came up with was from a very knowledgeable Rennlist person who reportedly had success 'improving' the OE ABS module's unwanted effects by using their 4-way adjustable suspension to 'soften' the suspension compression damping so that the tires and wheels did a better job of soaking up the surface conditions on corner entry.

All the best

Paul
Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh no, Terrible to hear that you have had an off at the track in your car. The happends to everyone though and do hope that you get the car and your health sorted without too much money or pain.

Sorry to hear, Track skills is a very underated mod. We buy all this stuff for our cars but we dont get enough practice or lessons to back it up. I do hope your ok.
Please keep us informed and do not get discouraged.

great information gt3noth - really interesting topics that I was not awair of and I will be doing some research on now. thanks.

good luck.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:06 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
First and most important is that you are alive and hopefully will be feeling better shortly.

As I reported about 2 years ago, I had a similar situation at Mosport. After much research, I have personally concluded that unfortunately you just found, like I found, and others before you and I found, the limits of the OE ABS module. I can go into a lengthy discussion but I won't as you can search on here about ABS ice-mode.

It doesn't sound like from your description that ABS caused your accident so in this respect you can drive around it - but it was not allowing you to go even faster into corners and improve your time by even more than your reported 4 seconds (which is amazing).

At least one person on Rennlist reported that the RS 4.0 has an updated ABS module that may perform better - but I have not seen a second post after this was mentioned.

If you are serious about continuing this adventure, I would highly recommend that you purchase the Porsche Motorsport Bosche Race ABS Module and do what it takes to have it installed - this will without question fix the issue that you reported as it has I believe 10 levels from Wet Surface to totally off that can be dialed in.

The other piece of research that I came up with was from a very knowledgeable Rennlist person who reportedly had success 'improving' the OE ABS module's unwanted effects by using their 4-way adjustable suspension to 'soften' the suspension compression damping so that the tires and wheels did a better job of soaking up the surface conditions on corner entry.

All the best

Paul
I remember that day at Mosport, thankfully all is well.

Thank you for the information re ABS module.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it's a abs problem, I think it's a oem pad problem.. To much power to much grip Tom much handeling and to much speed now.. The stock pads in Bahrain and track temps are super high.. The brakes aren't up up to the jobb go steel with the right pads or p50 you can't thinK about the brake discs when you track the car... You need to have brakes that do the jobb
Old 01-31-2012, 01:08 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
I don't think it's a abs problem, I think it's a oem pad problem.. To much power to much grip Tom much handeling and to much speed now.. The stock pads in Bahrain and track temps are super high.. The brakes aren't up up to the jobb go steel with the right pads or p50 you can't thinK about the brake discs when you track the car... You need to have brakes that do the jobb
I had p50s - I can guarantee you it is an ABS issue not a pad issue. This has all been discussed at length in many older treads - it surfaces at many tracks under the correct conditions - the only solution is to drive around the module's limits. The OE 'street' ABS module is not a race ABS unit - there is a reason the factory doesn't use the street module for racing - phone some race shops that have prepped street 911s for races - the issues are very well documented.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

I own a race shop so no need to call around.. I know about the ice problem but this time I don't think it was the problem...of course it not a race abs unit but the car comes from Porsche with cup tires and work okey with this so as soon the brake pedal goes to the floor it not abs problem
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 AM
amdevo
Instructor

oommgg soo sooryy to hear this

i hate it when stuf like this happens, we get carried away by how much fun this track busines is and we forget how dangerous it could be, hope you make a speedy recovery buddy
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
I own a race shop so no need to call around.. I know about the ice problem but this time I don't think it was the problem...of course it not a race abs unit but the car comes from Porsche with cup tires and work okey with this so as soon the brake pedal goes to the floor it not abs problem
Originally Posted by GTSilver;9229120
Brakes was what ruined my track day. They werent good at all. I have bedded the pads a couple of times before heading to the track but still werent good at all. Had the ABS work sometimes due to braking. I used to brake between the 150-100 metre mark on the straights, the past weekend i was way before 200 metre mark [B
and sometimes it didn't stop !![/B]

First of all, to the OP, I'm not trying to highjack your thread.

To address your comment:
- the car was not being driven on OE MPSC tires - it was on Hoosiers
- he never stated 'the brake pedal goes to the floor'
- if you re-read above, he stated that his braking distances were sometimes lengthened and sometimes dramatically (and sometimes it didn't stop)

As was reported, he was considerably faster than the last time
- he could very well have had 'green fade' (new pad gas release) with the OE pads (had it many times - one of the many reasons I won't use the OE pads - but this only lasts 2 corners)
- he could have had this in combination with the tires getting scruffed
- he could have had this in combination with the tires rotating on the rims
- a 4 second faster GT2 entering corners on near slicks, with possibly rotating Hoosiers, firmer sway bars and a new LSD may have been enough for the ABS to get outside of its parameters and 'release some pedal brake force'
- etc
- etc
- etc

As soon as you go above 97% in these 'street' 911s on corner entry + you have 'upgraded' your car, it doesn't take much to come to the limits of the factory's 'street programmed' ABS module - especially if the track is anything but perfectly smooth. I have personally experienced this many times and I just drive around it now. For the unfortunate few, not the case here as it was not an ABS issue, it can result in a very rapid departure from the track surface.

Just trying to point out to others that if you are going to put your car into competition mode, you are almost certainly going to come up against this issue on certain tracks at certain corners. I can give you the names of a few shops that have prepped street 911s and their solution was to remove the factory ABS module because in 'competition mode' it is highly unpredictable and thus dangerous when you are bumper to bumper.

Look at pg 4 of this link (the entire tread is worth a look for those that haven't seen it)
- pg 4 shows what you should be doing to your ABS if you plan on competing at 10/10ths in my opinion
- if you don't, then you will just have to live with what has been reported in this tread wrt braking

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...t=grussell+abs
Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM
GTSilver
Instructor

Thanks all for the kind words.

Regarding brakes, im considering getting steel instead of ccb. Either cup or brembo type III.

I think what caused the accident was the tires which had failed me. Yes brakes were terrible and had ABS work a couple of times but not before the accident, but as 997gt3north mentioned it could be the ABS module as it had failed me as stopping distance have reduced drastically and maybe the reason of not stopping the car. I will look into this and read about ABS ice mode.

After I get well hopefully and the car is back instead of 19" bbs i will get 18" as there are more tires options and i want to ditch the Hoosiers.

What tires or replacement brake are you guys running and especially the GT2 with bigger turbos ?

Thanks again
Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Pccb are no problem.. Use the right pads and make sure you have Alot material left on them.. If you go steel there a lot of option, like cup, Alcon,ap,brembo and pads from paid pfc and etc..
Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM
speedyralph
Rennlist Member

Sucks to hear that ending. You know how the old saying goes, "Thats racing!" Get back on the horse and improve on what you learned.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Sladep
Intermediate

Rickard,
Can you please clarify which are the "right" pads? I track my GT2 with PCCB 3-4 times per year and do a number of autocrosses. My understanding is that the OEM's are the proper pads for this usage. I don't want to destroy my rotors with too aggressive pads or have poor cold braking performance on the street. Many thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:37 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I can help - PCCB can use only OEM - Porsche now officially does not recommend anything else than OEM...

Quick Reply: My 997 GT2 Track Build