Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My 997 GT2 Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:17 PM
GTSilver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 997 GT2 Track Build

Greetings all .. I've had my car for more than 2 years now and i've tracked it a couple of times, but for this track season I would like to improve my timings and things that effected my lap time last track season. So I researched a lot but there's little info regarding people tracking GT2's mostly GT3/RS which I understand as they are better suited than turbocharged cars, but I always had a thing for GT2's and believed that with some modifications the GT2 would be a great track car.

Eventually I decided upon some necessary parts, which are:

-LSD (fitted)
-Clutch and lwfw (fitted)
-Engine mounts (fitted)
-Seats (fitted)
-Rollbar (Getting installed + painted)
-SS brake lines and Castrol Srf brake fluid (not yet installed)
-Pads (not yet installed)
-Suspension parts (GMG on the way)
-Wheels (BBS on the way)
-Tires (Hoosier R6 deciding on setup)
-Body parts (GT2 RS last mod after installing everything)

Some of these parts are installed and some are not while others are on the way. I will post a detailed review after installing all of these parts on the street and on the track

My current modification before installing these parts were:
-996 cup cables
-FVD tune
-Cat bypass pipes
-Evoms diverter valves
-BMC air filter
-lwfw with 4 puck clutch

-LSD ( fitted)

I went with Guards LSD after many recommendations and Mikymu review on his 997 GT3RS was very helpful and informative. Matt was very helpful as some parts got damaged with the shipping of my LSD and he was more than helpful to source me the parts and fix the issue. He also answered all of my questions, emails and recommended that I go with a 40/60 ramps.

Return packaging was more than great it was very secure; anyone considering sending their LSD should do what Matt did in the pics.

-Clutch and lwfw (fitted)

My old clutch setup was a sinter 4 puck clutch with lwfw which was really terrible to drive off the line with a very fine engagement point although I loved it on the track. So for this year I contacted Rhonda from FVD which is always great to deal with and very helpful as always. She recommended a couple of clutch kits but after many emails and calls (Sorry Rhonda) we decided upon a clutch kit.

It’s a 6 puck sprung clutch, which is very very streetable and could hold upto i guess 950nm and could take the beating of the track. I wish I bought this setup from the first time. I was considering running the 997.2 lwfw that weighs 9.xx lbs which 911SLOW showed in one of his many informative threads but after research that was done by Rhonda with Sachs it would fit and run but wouldn’t handle the torque of a rear wheel drive turbo charged car. So I got another lwfw from FVD which weighs 11.xx lbs.

-Engine mounts (fitted)

I considered getting engine mounts after Mikymu threads and others and that it would end the play with the weight transfer of the engine. I got Rennline solid engine mounts, finished product and fitment was perfect.

-Seats

I have the bucket GT2 seats that came with my car in leather and alcantara. They are the perfect seats for long drives as they are very comfortable and also provide good support, but since I drove my brothers 997.1 GT3 RS with his Euro bucket seats I said to myself that i should get these seats as they provide far better support and both weigh about the weight as one of my seats.

-Rollbar (Getting installed)

I wasn’t running any rollbar/cage last track season and it should be a priority to do so this track season so I decided to go with the OEM clubsport cage. I got the rollbar from FVD through Rhonda as well with Schroth belts. Shipping took about 12 days as for the parts were coming from Weissach Germany, Porsche motorsport. I decieded to paint the roll bar matt GT Silver as it would look good rather than the black cage and it wouldn’t be much of a distraction as yellow or red.

-SS brake lines and Castrol Srf brake fluid

Last track season I used to have brake fade in the 3rd -4th session in the day which wasn’t good so to solve the problem I got a SS brake line to solve the issue of the stock rubber lines that expand with heat and a better brake fluid (Castrol Srf) to withstand more heat. I got both parts from FVD through Rhonda.

-Pads

I was considering getting a better/ harder compound pads and decided to go with Pagid P50 Greens at first, but after many posts from members here that they might ruin the rotors and that Porsche TSB isn’t recommending to run them as they did. I got stock pads instead. Probably by next year I might get rid of the PCCB’s and run Steel rotors. I got these parts from Suncoast Porsche.

-Suspension parts

Here’s where I got lost. I’ve been researching suspension upgrades for about a year now. I asked a lot of members here and they were more than helpful (Z06, Tcsracing, NJ-GT, TTurbine, 1098R and many others). After many discussions I went with GMG WC program and added some extra parts after many many emails and questions with Fabryce, which was more than helpful to answer my questions and explain everything for me. I went with :
-Adjustable Thrust arm bushing kit
-GMG WC Sway bar kit for 997 GT2
-GMG Dog bone Kit
-GMG WC Bump steer kit
-GMG WC bump steer kit rear
-GMG inner A arm bearing kit
-GMG RSR Thrust arm with anti dive and anti squat built in

Im keeping the stock shocks for this track season and after this track season if I get consistent laptimes and cant improve I will consider shocks for the seasons ahead.

-Wheels

I’m running the stock OEM wheels, which are heavy, and the GT2 could benefit from a diet. So I was thinking between BBS FI and BBS e88, FI would remove about 40 pounds of rotating mass which is a lot but the price is very steep and BBS sells these wheels for street use only although the Ferrari 599GTO comes with these wheels. So I decided to go with BBS e88, I contacted Gert from Carnewal.com and he was more than helpful and quick with replying to my inquiries about the wheels. Order has been placed, im getting 9x19 fronts and 12x19 rear with black centers. They usually take 3-6 weeks for the wheels and in my case Gert was more than helpful to contact BBS and said that the wheels will be ready before Christmas.

-Tires

I usually run with MPSC but for this year with all the parts above Im going with Hoosiers R6.

I still didn’t finalize what to go for. Either 235/35/19 and 325/30/19 or 265/35/19 and 325/30/19. Im still looking for more info regarding what setup to go with as from what I’ve seen that running 265 fronts may have some contact with the front fenders.

-Body parts

Im thinking of getting the GT2RS front lip and fender extensions and the gurney spoiler in the rear of the GT2RS which would add down force and give my car the new look as TB993tt’s car.

The Track

I usually track my car on the Bahrain Internatioanl circuit. Here is a layout of the track, It’s the Formula 1 track that we usually drive on :

and also the inner circuit ..

Its located in the Middle East, and our season starts in this time of the year due to the hot weather in the summer.

Last year on a time attack event I ran 2:26 on the GP track and 1:20 on the inner track which isn’t very good due to the to bad alignment settings that I ran, brake fade and instability in high speed corners. Im hoping to run at least 2:20 and less on the GP track and 1:16 on the inner circuit with the modifications above and I hope I do.

I would like to thank all of the members here on rennlist for their help and vendors that answered all of my questions especially Rhonda Roxburgh for answering all of my questions for the past two years since I purchased my car.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:27 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

very nice.. now gut her
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Ultimate cheater car......this woudl be fun.....hmmmm
Old 11-22-2011, 04:40 PM
GTSilver
Instructor

mobonic- I want to !! but probably in a year or two. Im planning to keep this car for a very loooong time.

Izzone- It is, all I need is better intercoolers and shocks for next season. I'll take some videos next time i go to the track
Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Excellent! Love it.

Next year put him on a diet.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:46 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

GTSilver

Thanks for the kind words were are always happy to help a fellow racer.

Let me know if you need anything else.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 11-22-2011, 04:55 PM
GTSilver
Instructor

911SLOW- Thanks, after the track season I will look for lighter body parts, cup car doors etc.

gmgracing- Thank you for everything and your great service, if I cant figure out what tire setup to run I'll contact you guys for your advice.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it.

I found the biggest challenge for these cars is dialing out understeer without giving up the ability to use all the torque out of the corner. It can be a tricky balance considering the number of changes you're making......sways, diff, geometry, etc...

How about spring rate?

I put '10 CUP brakes on mine and have been very happy.

I also put the GT2RS frt spoiler and CF wing extension on and would recommend.

Agree on the diet! Mine weighed in at 3585lbs with driver and full gas.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Great mods, thanks for sharing.... great pics and perfect colour certainly worth spending the $$$$$ on these cars, they are keepers for sure

Originally Posted by Bman
Agree on the diet! Mine weighed in at 3585lbs with driver and full gas.
That is 1626kg, just how big is the driver
Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
, just how big is the driver
driver= 14.2 stone
Cup Brakes vs PCCB = ?
Roll bar, heavy one = approx 5 stone
Full fuel = 8 stone
Other fluid = ?

It's too heavy! But it sure is fast
Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Taking notes for my 991 TTS, PDK PTV on slicks.
It will be 3800lbs due to driver, but boost fill fix that..
Old 11-22-2011, 06:50 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Bman
driver= 14.2 stone
Cup Brakes vs PCCB = ?
Roll bar, heavy one = approx 5 stone
Full fuel = 8 stone
Other fluid = ?

It's too heavy! But it sure is fast
I'm 2 stone lighter and mine weighs 3366lbs with driver and full fluids inc fuel....

Someone got carried away with the options list
Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

GTSilver: Nice build. Where did you source your seats?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Lighter car is always better than a faster car to equal out the heavy weight.

997.1 Cup = 2750/390 whp = 7.33 lbs/hp
997 GT2 = 3450/470 whp = 7.34 lbs/hp

Car have virtually identical wt/hp ratings and would be in the same GT class but the cup would run circles around the GT2 because it would out break, accelerate, and out corner the heavier car even with more HP... (not trying to start a GT2 vs cup debate..just showing that imo more power is not the answer to covering more weight)

But if you can loose 300 lbs.. that car would be a absolute monster!!!!!!!!!!

It was absolutely amazing how much better my car was once i stripped and gutted it and took 300+ lbs out of it. The car was 1000% better in all ways. It really changed the way I felt about power and made me appreciate very lightweight cars like and Exige S.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Either way I love the build you are doing and I can only image the smile it would put on my face driving it around the GP Bahrain track.. im jealous.

Quick Reply: My 997 GT2 Track Build