Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My 997 GT2 Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far preliminary report from dealer regarding damaged parts other than the bumper, exhaust and tail light are left turbo, left header, plastic inlet turbo pipes and intercooler.

I'm consdering either champion carbon inlet pipes or evoms, m&m headers and exhaust maybe, either 997.2 intercoolers or GTRNick intercoolers but waiting for testing results to decide. Oem turbo is expensive so im thinking of sending them to any tuner either champion or fvd to rebuild both turbos and back, they are both 68mm turbos. What are your thoughts ? should i go with aftermarket or stick with oem left turbo ?

I still didnt decide about the rear deck lid yet. For me to run cup deck lid i think i need to change my front bumper or have a custom front lip to match the downforce. Will keep that for later after looking at Rickard 993 turbo pictures as he had done this in his 996 gt2 and also for his 997cup/turbo engine.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My new car is a pure track car, it's a 997 cup with full rsr body both the body and the steel body... But I have removed the weak cup engines and installed a 997 gt2 engine
Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
My new car is a pure track car, it's a 997 cup with full rsr body both the body and the steel body... But I have removed the weak cup engines and installed a 997 gt2 engine
I wish i could do the same, would you mind posting pictures of your car and for me to run the cup rear deck lid what should i do regarding the front bumper ?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a soundclip somewhere i will look for it , but a video would not do justice IMHO , you have to hear it in person..

I would choose champion inlet pipes or cargraphic IMHO

Regarding intercoolers... im runnging the GT2rs coolers they are good for street use.. but not that much better than stock on the track.. save your money or go for something that is proven.. CTR coolers are a good option i just ordered my set last week ,, Nicks ICs also look good i beleive the cores are supplied by the same company that supplies the CTR cores.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 AM
lopro
Banned

Maybe this would be a good reason to upgrade the turbo and intercoolers?

Could be interesting to see with the cup decklid. I imagine you will need a splitter upgrade as you mentioned.

Agreed, M&M exhaust would be amazing.

Hope your feeling abit better.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Grand am front with the splitter in it
Grand am fenders
9,5-10 inch front wheels with 265 tires
2010 cup deck lid with R wing blade

That's how a fast gt2 is built
Old 02-11-2012, 01:24 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

Still not decided on intercoolers or turbos yet. Probably going to the gt2rs look with some other parts.

As I said earlier I'm considering driving/racing schools and I was leaning towards the Porsche Sport driving school either in Germany or the US, but I think its more than fun and enjoyment rather than really learning. I'm considering Bondurant school in Arizona as the seem to deliver what I am looking for. What are your thoughts especially for people who had been there ? And any other recommendations about other driving schools would be great.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 AM
rsr997
Advanced

zomg. can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:05 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Grand am front with the splitter in it
Grand am fenders
9,5-10 inch front wheels with 265 tires
2010 cup deck lid with R wing blade

That's how a fast gt2 is built
How do the GA fenders fit? Racecar body parts usually fit like crap and have poor durability (fiberglass shrinks etc.). Are the GA fenders a Motorsport part?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

You can use cup s fenders also, they are Oem Porsche motorsport, and there is inner fenders and parts for Oem fitting
Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Rickard- thanks for the info. How much wider are the Cup S fenders compared to OEM?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSilver

As I said earlier I'm considering driving/racing schools and I was leaning towards the Porsche Sport driving school either in Germany or the US, but I think its more than fun and enjoyment rather than really learning. I'm considering Bondurant school in Arizona as the seem to deliver what I am looking for. What are your thoughts especially for people who had been there ? And any other recommendations about other driving schools would be great.

Thanks
GT Silver, if i am not mistaken you are based in Bahrain.. It will be interetsing to see what your car does in one of the time trial races.

You might want to consider the alternative of getting a Pro driver to Bahrain for a 2-3 day training. It will be cheaper for you, but most importantly you will learn the tips and tricks of the track.

Sean Edwards and Bergmeister (Tim, brother of Joerg) are two outstanding and extremely nice Pro drivers that will be happy to help, they come to the Region often.. Sean will be in Riyadh on the 14th, you might beneft from his presence cost-wise.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
GT Silver, if i am not mistaken you are based in Bahrain.. It will be interetsing to see what your car does in one of the time trial races.

You might want to consider the alternative of getting a Pro driver to Bahrain for a 2-3 day training. It will be cheaper for you, but most importantly you will learn the tips and tricks of the track.

Sean Edwards and Bergmeister (Tim, brother of Joerg) are two outstanding and extremely nice Pro drivers that will be happy to help, they come to the Region often.. Sean will be in Riyadh on the 14th, you might beneft from his presence cost-wise.
+1 on that,

Also Lechner racing / Porsche motorsports Middle east are located in Bahrain , they also can do coaching..
Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM
lopro
Banned

that would be amazing having sean edwards showing you the lines. He is a great driver.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

Its been a long time since a posted here. There has been some changes that has to be made and i would like your help and inputs.

Regarding coaching I will go with what Jean recommended as a pro coming over to bahrain learning on my car and the track i drive on. Talked to Nigel Greensall as a start but waiting for my car to finish at first and will be starting at the beginning of next track season (september).

What I'm looking for right now is intercoolers, vtg turbos as the left turbo is damaged and inlet pipes.

What intercoolers do are you guys running on the track ? TTurbine any updates on your CTR intercoolers ? I'm still waiting for GTRNick's intercoolers but its taking so long. I have been looking for meth kits to run on intercoolers but are they safe on the track ? have you guys tried meth ?

I still didnt deciede on what vtg turbos to run on the track, Nick what do you think of the 68mm Champion turbos are they great on the track or too much power ? Rickard may I ask what vtg turbos are you running ?

Quick Reply: My 997 GT2 Track Build