Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCA Suncoast is joking right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Living where I live in Florida you gotta have a boat...I just went overboard. A friend of mine looked at my boat at my dock behind my house and said..." that's a cup car sitting there"! I said yeah don't remind me.
at least you don't have to pay marina fees and park your car a mile away.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

How much weight to I need gain to join TTS with 419HP to the wheels and LSD? I think I can get to 3500LBS with a full tank of gas.

I guess I'd have to buy Hoosiers to win Hoosiers. Or cheat, maybe I don't have an LSD after all...Toyo's too slow.

I ran 2006 in TTB in a 2001 Mustang GT and the 500HP flame throwers passed me at 10 secs a lap faster...

And I had my only ever track incident when a Ferrari 360 Stradale rammed me off the track at Homestead. The Ferrari smoked and puked liquids all over the track and scraped over the asphalt with his nose after he got it restarted.
Yet Track marshall was all surprised when I reported in the hot pit to tell them I was punted off the track and complained that this was not racing (I won. Very little damage to be seen on my car). Too bad it was pre onboard camera time.
I was told then and experienced during my last NASA event this summer they DO see it as racing and your are learning to race.

Maybe some things changed since 2006.

Nasa is the prefect place for some people and they LOVE it. I also see more track dedicated cars then in a typical DE. Just saying that some events have zero competitivenes, your prize is the fun and no damage to your car, while others do offer racing, give prizes and so increase the cost of running competitively as well as maybe increase risk.

Just saying it's not as laid back as some other groups..

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 11-28-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
How much weight to I need gain to join TTS with 419HP to the wheels and LSD? I think I can get to 3500LBS with a full tank of gas.

I guess I'd have to buy Hoosiers to win Hoosiers. Or cheat, maybe I don't have an LSD after all...Toyo's too slow.

I ran 2006 in TTB in a 2001 Mustang GT and the 500HP flame throwers passed me at 10 secs a lap faster...

And I had my only ever track incident when a Ferrari 360 Stradale rammed me off the track at Homestead. The Ferrari smoked and puked liquids all over the track and scraped over the asphalt with his nose after he got it restarted.
Yet Track marshall was all surprised when I reported in the hot pit to tell them I was punted off the track and complained that this was not racing (I won. Very little damage to be seen on my car). Too bad it was pre onboard camera time.
I was told then and experienced during my last NASA event this summer they DO see it as racing and your are learning to race.

Maybe some things changed since 2006.

Nasa is the prefect place for some people and they LOVE it. I also see more track dedicated cars then in a typical DE. Just saying that some events have zero competitivenes, your prize is the fun and no damage to your car, while others do offer racing, give prizes and so increase the cost of running competitively as well as maybe increase risk.

Just saying it's not as laid back as some other groups..
My prize is cold beer and no dents on car
Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Izzone I passed you on 75 today towing Burkowitz cute trailer. I was heading north on my biz trip this week.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:25 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran the last NASA-TT event of 2011 with the Florida region.

They put all the Time Trial drivers in a dedicated group, and HPDE-3 and HPDE-4 ran together. It was virtually impossible to catch another car unless they were cooling down the tires. I ran on fresh 255 R6 on Saturday (2 HC on them) and very old 285 A6 on Sunday (22HC when their life is 8HC). On Saturday I touched a 1:41, on Sunday 1:43s all day.

The run format is very safe, the level of driving is courteous in the TT group, and everyone knows each other. I like it a lot. I even got a few thanks from guys in slower classes when I opened the race line for them, in my attempts to cool down the tires or wait on fast traffic for drafting.

By the way, Toyo, Nitto, GoodYear have contingencies with NASA. The NASA Time Trials program keeps growing, and it is doing so nicely, the key for proper growth is the quality of participation, and provide help to make the events better.

The HPDE groups have download meetings, and any unsafe driver or no-point-by driver is corrected after just one session.

Here are two videos, they give you a good idea on how safe the events are (in the Time Trials group):

The car in front is a Vette ZR-1 on gigantic Michelin slicks, powerful, and such a nice sound.

Fastest time on the weekend was a 1:34.1, and I think the Aero Beetles on R6 are capable to run that time, so something close. Each day is counted as one event, so a weekend is 2 events.

With 7 cars in class, Hoosier pays 2 tires to the top finisher, 1 tire for 2nd and 1 tire for 3rd place, per day. So, you can get up to a full set of free tires on a single weekend, have plenty of fun while doing so, and have 2 more pals get away with a pair of free tires as well.

Next season I'm running TT-S with the Cayman. The S, U and R classes are based on power/weight ratio, pretty much all modifications (including aero) are free, but the P/W ratio has to be 8.7 (TTS), 5.5 (TTU) or unlimited in TTR. The other classes are annoying with the points system, a total hassle. I like to just bring my car, drive, and with a large enough class even 3rd place gets rewarded.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:14 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

They put all the Time Trial drivers in a dedicated group, and HPDE-3 and HPDE-4 ran together. It was virtually impossible to catch another car unless they were cooling down the tires. I ran on fresh 255 R6 on Saturday (2 HC on them) and very old 285 A6 on Sunday (22HC when their life is 8HC). On Saturday I touched a 1:41, on Sunday 1:43s all day.

The run format is very safe, the level of driving is courteous in the TT group, and everyone knows each other. I like it a lot. I even got a few thanks from guys in slower classes when I opened the race line for them, in my attempts to cool down the tires or wait on fast traffic for drafting.

By the way, Toyo, Nitto, GoodYear have contingencies with NASA. The NASA Time Trials program keeps growing, and it is doing so nicely, the key for proper growth is the quality of participation, and provide help to make the events better.

The HPDE groups have download meetings, and any unsafe driver or no-point-by driver is corrected after just one session.
Hi Rad, thanks for posting.
Good driving too I think you may leave some time on the table in T11

Maybe a lot has changed; So a few questions. I am sure it's all on the NASA website: http://www.nasa-tt.com/ and I will read it when I have more time.

Not bitching, it might be fun to participate. 1.34 on Hoosiers seems doable. ;-)
What if you run RA1's Can you win tires? Can you even be competitive?
Can you run slicks?

The spreading out sounds good, but I always worry about the (newbie, unknown, from out of state) guy running a do or die lap to score his 2 free tires after he came into the pit to adjust his tire pressures.

The download sessions are a big help I'm sure but in the beginning they were conflicting with student run groups and cool down runs (I had to run my car 5-10 minutes to keep it from puking all liquids and rotors cracking.)

P/W ratio:
Weight is gassed up with the driver in it? I can get to 3500 easy.
Power is the advertised 450 or the dyno 419 in my case?

I had to do the point system and I ran in TTB and it was a mess.
How do they keep you from cheating, the cars were all over the place back in 2006. Do they Dyno and weigh cars, or it's an honor system?

Seems like TTS would be possible even with suspension, LSD and aero modified RS...
Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE

I tried for a few years to get to the Porsche Parade autoX, this is the equivalent to the National Porsche Autocross Championship, for a little while I accepted that being in the Porsche Parade autocross was a privilege, not a right. My intention was to run the Parade AutoX and get 1st overall, I had the car to do it. Finally, the year I was accepted (2009) was the year I sold the GT3 RS, I had the Cayman back them, but no way the Cayman could get first overall.

I cann't imagine how you could get 1st overall against the fully preped 1800 lb 914 or some of the race cars, in a 3000 lb. car?

But once they accepted you, It is very bad form to dump you from the list. Holding up a few hoops to get into an event is a minor inconvience but to add you and then reject your entry shows a lack of integity.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 451 Posts

No slicks as your hp to weight wont allow
To win Hoosiers you need to run Hoosiers
Think of TT as super solo except you grid by speed. Late to grid and you have to wait until after the start of 1st hot lap to go on track
Yes we weigh cars and check for compliance. No dyno yet but Mark is working on it

I haven't had time to figure your hp to weight @ 3500# but I think you will be close.

Some FL NASA TT drivers only run 1 or 2 hot laps and come in others run the whole session.

Peter
Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I like that....
Old 11-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Insurance is void.....if you have it, in TT

If I run TT I will get an M3 like Petes, that car was fun
Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I like that....
Originally Posted by Izzone

What do you mean WAS fun it still is fun. Glad to see somebody else likes Cheap Disposable Track Cars.

What did Chris Harris call the M3. Ring Warrior

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 11-29-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Disagree, multiple dynos of the 2010 GT3 RS around show higher numbers, and 3,400 lbs on race weight (with driver) sounds a little high.

The 2010 GT3 RS bone stock with no options is 3,116 lbs, plus fuel. The car with a driver is well below the 8.7 weight/power ratio limit for TT-S.

Mustang Dyno readings are added a 10% penalty, given that Mustang dynos read low.

Fortunately, NASA keeps it checked by having cars weighed at impound after each timed session, and they have a massive database of dyno sheets submitted nationwide.

402 whp is what the 2007 GT3 was putting down on a dyno with just an ECU tune, a car rated at 415Hp. Most stock 997.2 GT3 RS put 420+ whp.
Weird. Pretty sure it was a DynoJet. I definitely put down 402. Car had less than 1000 miles on it so I don't know if that anything to do with it... Mark McKay and I dyno'd and weighed the car together. I weigh 225 ish and it was 3400 with about 1/2 tank if fuel. Nothing else in the car???

I'm starting to think I bought a C2S...

2:24's would maybe get you on podium. 23's would definitely do it. Free Hoosiers are really nice. So are brake pads...

Last edited by JJE997.2RS; 11-29-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 PM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Hi Rad, thanks for posting.

Not bitching, it might be fun to participate. 1.34 on Hoosiers seems doable. ;-)
What if you run RA1's Can you win tires? Can you even be competitive?
Can you run slicks?

P/W ratio:
Weight is gassed up with the driver in it? I can get to 3500 easy.
Power is the advertised 450 or the dyno 419 in my case?

I had to do the point system and I ran in TTB and it was a mess.
How do they keep you from cheating, the cars were all over the place back in 2006. Do they Dyno and weigh cars, or it's an honor system?

Seems like TTS would be possible even with suspension, LSD and aero modified RS...
You CAN run any DOT approved tire (aka Hoosier) at no point cost in TTS, TTU and TTR.

P/W ratio is calculated with minimum RACE weight (with fuel and driver) / maximum WHP as registered on the Dyno.

Since our cars with us in are going to be over 3300 lbs, we get to add modification points back on.

On MY particular RS, It weighed 3440 lbs with me and about 1/2 tank.
I dyno'd 402 whp (in the presence of the NASA TT Director)
= 8.557:1 W/HP ratio (which is below the aloted 8.7:1)

However, since my car weighs between 3400-3449 lbs, I get to add back .15 to the W/HP ratio and come to the TTS friendly 8.7:1

I think you would be the guy to beat in that class. My first two times driving the RS I finished second at both Sebring and Homestead by less than .1 of a second. With your mods and familiarity with the car, you should be the fastest car without a doubt.

Your other mods are perfectly legal in TTS too...
Old 11-29-2011, 05:48 PM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Izzone

BTW, I like your GOlden Bears on the avatar.

First time I saw them on the course I couldn't believe it. There's got to be about 100 other things they can spend money on before the bears (like cutting the greens more than once/ week!)
Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

2:21 shouldn't be a problem in a RS with Hoosiers and a properly set up specially winter time.

Quick Reply: PCA Suncoast is joking right?