Gt3 owners with gt2 rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
For those that want it, I negotiated a Rennlist price of $310 including the bushings. Pretty sweet deal. Make sure you ask for Ric or Phil. That's a pretty good deal.
Just ordered my bar from Suncoast. Thanks to deputydog for arranging the special deal. Ryan at Suncoast told me there aren't many bars left in inventory anywhere in the states, so get yours now.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Andrew,

Since our setup (i.e. with Guard 50/80) is clearly very similar, and you just had an alignment (so rear toe isn't likely toe-out), and we use similar tires, what is left is only a few things:
- hot tire temps - i run basically 32-33f, 35-36r hot
- i run significantly less front camber
- i run the 19" (235,315 R6) and (245,305 PSS)
- my car is lowered (i will take exact measurements ground to fender tonight for you) - maybe you have a rake / not enough weight over the rear tire issue
- i have the RS wing on my gt3 - and i run it at 12degrees all the time

I had David Empringham drive the car with fresh Hoosiers for 4 very hot and fast laps at Mosport (way faster than I could ever possibly go) and he likes a car that slightly pushes so he can be very aggressive trail braking on entry and with max weight over the rear for grip on throttle - and he said my setup was very good - and he had previously said it was way to loose when my rear R888s got heat cycled out. This was before I had all the solid RSS stuff put in and the suspension re-valved but the car did have rear toe arms.
Stock ride height.
Stock rake.
Stock wing.
PSS temps: 38f/40r hot

Originally Posted by Jake951
Just ordered my bar from Suncoast. Thanks to deputydog for arranging the special deal. Ryan at Suncoast told me there aren't many bars left in inventory anywhere in the states, so get yours now.
You're very welcome. Enjoy!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:20 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I ran the new sway bar this weekend. I'm not really sure what to think. The rear end became very snappy, with more than a few than times the car getting completely sideways. Ran full soft rear and 2nd hole (stiff side) on front. However... I was on PSS instead of hoosiers so I'm not sure it's a good evaluation as the PSS push a lot in general on tight turn ins. I'll try it again on hoosiers for a better comparison to the stock bar.
I had the same issues when I had my GT2 bar installed on full soft 2 years ago. The car was a real handful. When I got under the car and looked at the bar and links it was clear the shop had gotten distracted or something and set the bar full stiff, not full soft. Full soft is achieved when links are attached to end of lever arms as away from the side to side shaft of the bar as possible. Take a look and double check the setting, you may find you have the same problem I had.

With GT2 rear bar on full soft and front bar 1 from full stiff my car handles very neutrally with Hoosiers, Hoosier Wets or Sport Cups.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:32 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock ride height.
Stock rake.
Stock wing.
PSS temps: 38f/40r hot

!
This may or may not help - but I generally do not like the feel of the tires as they get to 40psi as they get too slippery in feel for my liking - especially as it is very easy when you are targeting 40 hot to actually very quickly if the car is sliding to get up to 45 very quickly - and that is not the type of car I like to drive.

I learned this lesson early on. In my previous car on MPSC tires I was told 40 hot front and rear was what to aim for - but on the gt3 40 in the rear absolutely didn't do it for me. I felt I was constantly fighting with the car's setup as it was too knife-edge. I then started targeting rear 38 hot and then lower again and I'm now down to 35-36 with 32-33 front - this works so much better for me and I use it for both the PSS and the R6s.

Now, this is obviously very track dependent and speed dependent, but I think your front and rear camber setup is way too high especially if you are going to use PSS tires. At one point when I was trying to dial out the under steer I ended up at -2.7f and -2.4r the front was needed to get the car to turn. But, as soon as the gt2 bar was on the car, I slowly reduced the camber front and rear for much better tire wear and I find it also works with Hoosier R6s for my driving style, my local tracks + some daily driving / driving to the track.

So, my personal recommendation would be to try:
- lower hot temps (32-33, 35-36)
- back down the camber setup to get better tire wear
- you now don't need as much 'help' in the front if the rear will actually rotate more
- if the above doesn't help, then consider slightly lowering the rear of the car lets say 5mm to get more weight over the rear tires
Old 06-12-2012, 03:00 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it very unusual those who are running stiffer bars at the front.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by obsessedone
I had the same issues when I had my GT2 bar installed on full soft 2 years ago. The car was a real handful. When I got under the car and looked at the bar and links it was clear the shop had gotten distracted or something and set the bar full stiff, not full soft. Full soft is achieved when links are attached to end of lever arms as away from the side to side shaft of the bar as possible. Take a look and double check the setting, you may find you have the same problem I had.

With GT2 rear bar on full soft and front bar 1 from full stiff my car handles very neutrally with Hoosiers, Hoosier Wets or Sport Cups.
I was also going to suggest looking to see if it was on full stiff - as the original description of the crazy rotation sounded like it was. Something just seems not to add up if the tires are ok, the alignment is ok, tire pressures are ok, no crazy rake, etc. I know of a few gt3s running the gt2 bar on soft (and now you as well) and basically none of them act this way. To me the GT2 bar on soft just made the rear of the car move in tandem with the front of the car so the constant push is gone and the car just 'rotates' and moves how you want and need it to do on the track.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

Alignment seems way too aggressive for those street tires, I'd get the alignment fixed, then test.

Your 50/80 locks aggrressively, so couple that with more rear bar, and too aggressive of alignment, and I can see how you get snap oversteer. The rear tires don't have the grip to cope.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Alignment stays as I don't really drive the car much on the street. It's really setup for hoosiers. So maybe the bar is fine and its just that my setup is way too aggressive for street tires.

I'm switching to nt01's after my last set of hoosiers are done so I'll soften the alignment at that point.

I am going to check the setting to be on the safe side though as that would be a quick fix.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

Alignment stays as I don't really drive the car much on the street. It's really setup for hoosiers. So maybe the bar is fine and its just that my setup is way too aggressive for street tires.

I'm switching to nt01's after my last set of hoosiers are done so I'll soften the alignment at that point.

I am going to check the setting to be on the safe side though as that would be a quick fix.
Assuming the bar is correct, I'm willing to bet that's the main issue. Don't go too conservative for NT01's, they actually like camber, as they have a softer sidewall than RA1's, which is partly why they grip better. Perhaps try something like -3F, -2.25R.....and adjust from there for balance and tire wear.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Checked the bar. Its set correctly. My setup is probably just way too much for street tires. Had the hoosiers in the trailer. Having a lazy day and didn't feel like switching them
Old 06-14-2012, 01:21 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Dawg

PSS don't like being any higher than 38 psi hot.

Peter
Old 06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
dont forget (if you are doing a DIY install) to properly lube the rubber bushings...
Old 06-14-2012, 02:33 PM
joyride5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bar helpful for 997.2 GT3's also? Or is it just for 997.1 GT3?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by joyride5
Bar helpful for 997.2 GT3's also? Or is it just for 997.1 GT3?
.2 bars were modified based upon the experience of the chassis engineers who developed the GT2 ...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 06-14-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: corrected 2RS to GT2 :)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:18 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
.2 bars were modified based upon the experience of the chassis engineers who developed the 2RS ...
- i'm sure you meant to type GT2 not 2RS
- bars on the .2s are fine

Quick Reply: Gt3 owners with gt2 rear sway bar