Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Jackpoint Jackstands ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

From a quality control point of view I'd pass on offshore. I hope that's not a crushing blow.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
From a quality control point of view I'd pass on offshore. I hope that's not a crushing blow.
Quality control would not be our problem. Jackpoint Jackstands would not be selling the offshore product. Nor would it be sold under the "Jackpoint" name or trademark. I'm trying to determine whether the availability of an inexpensive imported product would eliminate the market for the original US made Jackpoint Jackstands. I suspect the import product would be in the price range of the Esco jack stand - still not HFT cheap - but half the Jackpoint price or less.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I'm trying to determine whether the availability of an inexpensive imported product would eliminate the market for the original US made Jackpoint Jackstands.
I think you should take a look at the current market for aluminum hydraulic jacks. It's filled with cheap imported jacks. I paid around $800 for my current jack about 12 years ago. I can find a number of jacks today for under $250.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

That's true. There are very few US made jacks or jack stands. To my knowledge Brunhoelzl is the only US made jack by a US owned company. They make a beautiful product that cost about $800 and more, but it's the platinum standard. The racing jack imitated by "racing jacks".

My question - in your case - now that there are many jacks out there for $250 and less - would you buy the $800 jack or go for the cheaper one that gets the job done? Right now there is no cheap alternative to the Jackpoint Jackstand - if you want that particular functionality. However, we don't charge $299 because there are no alternatives. The price is dictated by costs of production and the Rennlist discount - small as it is - is a big chunk of the total margin in stands. The imported stand I'm discussing here would NOT be our product, but it would require a license from us.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be serious competition, except for the most demanding buyer. I can see the "Post" now: "Hi all, I need jack stands for track day tire changes. Should I buy those high priced stands for $1000 bucks, or the same things, but made in China, for $250? Please Vote:

$1000 Stands 30 Votes
$250 Stands 300 Votes

You get the Idea? But the decision, for you should depend on what the total net revenues will be from each alternative.
Much more complicated than this so think it thru. Good luck, Allan
Old 07-07-2014, 10:12 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

John, the beauty of your stands is the concept. Unfortunately the onshore production cost is too high for you to conquer the world I think. Monetize the concept as best you can by getting the best licensing deal possible, and then come up with the next great idea.

My cynical side thinks that with or without your permission, someone will replicate your stands and "flood" the market, well maybe. You might as well benefit from it.

As far as choosing between yours and an offshore copy, it would come down to price differential. I am always willing to pay a premium for "Made in Canada" or "Made in USA", but sometimes, I just don't need an $800 jack, or can't afford one with all the tires and upgrades to finance.

You might no longer be under the radar, so join it, or get ready to fight it.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm listening. Hey Francois - PM sent.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I won't be crawling under a car held up by a set of Jack Stands made in China.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

And I won't be selling any. We just did the brakes on my son's Mazda and one rotor just would not come off. With all the yanking, pulling and beating while the car was up on stands I was reminded just how solid these things are. I never worried about his safety or my own.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My hunch is that the vast majority of buyers would flock to the cheaper alternative. A few buyers would be willing to pay some premium ($50 - $75 ??) for the domestic product, but they'd be greatly outnumbered by those seeking the lowest price product with equal functionality.

BTW, I love the ones I bought from you a few months back.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:02 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fbirch
My hunch is that the vast majority of buyers would flock to the cheaper alternative. A few buyers would be willing to pay some premium ($50 - $75 ??) for the domestic product, but they'd be greatly outnumbered by those seeking the lowest price product with equal functionality.

BTW, I love the ones I bought from you a few months back.
I tend to agree. Unless the cheaper product had limited application to specialty cars or some other down side, I suspect the market for Jackpoint Jackstands would dry up pretty quickly. We currently do some custom applications - which probably wouldn't be an option with a mass market product. However, customization is labor intensive and expensive. It sends the current product into an even more limited production item.

And thanks - I'm glad you like them.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
That's true. There are very few US made jacks or jack stands. To my knowledge Brunhoelzl is the only US made jack by a US owned company. They make a beautiful product that cost about $800 and more, but it's the platinum standard. The racing jack imitated by "racing jacks".

My question - in your case - now that there are many jacks out there for $250 and less - would you buy the $800 jack or go for the cheaper one that gets the job done? Right now there is no cheap alternative to the Jackpoint Jackstand - if you want that particular functionality. However, we don't charge $299 because there are no alternatives. The price is dictated by costs of production and the Rennlist discount - small as it is - is a big chunk of the total margin in stands. The imported stand I'm discussing here would NOT be our product, but it would require a license from us.
Interesting ... I just bought a Brunhoelzl racing jack (USA made). I had my 3rd "high quality" imported one fail, this time it was an OTC which I have been using for about 2 years of moderate to heavy use. I've spent about the same on replacement jacks as a new USA Brunhoelzl and I could have kept going this route for another 5-6 years buying replacements. But I'm just tired of the poor quality and knowing they will eventually break and spew oil. Plus I can get exact parts from Brunhoelzl to repair theirs if I ever need to do so. I took my future cost and made the investment today. Should have done it at the start years ago.

The offshore jack stand analogy is not quite the same since there is a safety factor involved. Even though I could probably buy two or three offshore sets for the equivalent JackPoint price I'd not buy them primarily for this reason since potential product failure of the jack stands is a worse outcome than failure of the racing jack. To me the cost of that potential failure is much greater than the price delta with the JackPoints. So on a risked basis, I think the Jack Points would still be a better value.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:34 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Good points. Unfortunately lots of folks don't see that value. It's similar to the notion that having your car slip off a jack stand and getting the rocker panel dent will certainly do more than $300 worth of damage, but spending that much to avoid the damage doesn't compute. Seems its more often an insight gained from a near miss or bad experience.
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2014, 07:28 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Right. Anyone who has experienced a jack stand failure will buy safety next time, assuming there is a next time. I've had SUV's wobble on poor stands with small footprints, even had the back end slide off while getting the 4th corner stabilized. Same goes for ramps, buy safety. I was so impressed with the JackPoints that I bought four right from the start. No need to screw around with the other two corners.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Rialas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jpoint. Why don't you get them manufactured in China or Japan. Isn't that what Apple do etc.

I remember back at school Chinese violins were a joke, now their instruments are equal to the master makers.

Don't underestimate there ability to manufacture a good product.

Quick Reply: Jackpoint Jackstands ???