Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Jackpoint Jackstands ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:01 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Cliff notes for me if I want to get all four corners in the air, and I don't want to jack off the engine for one of the points can I:

1. Buy 2 of these stands and your jack
2. use my two Essco flat top stands
3. jack up each side by the rear point with your setup, place your stand on rear, essco on front?

Want to have it high enough to swap oil, trans fluid, swap exhaust etc.

That plan work? IF so pm me purchase details
Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

That plan works and many guys do it that way.

PM sent.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:13 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rialas
Jpoint. Why don't you get them manufactured in China or Japan. Isn't that what Apple do etc.

I remember back at school Chinese violins were a joke, now their instruments are equal to the master makers.

Don't underestimate there ability to manufacture a good product.
I'm not anti China. I'm just trying to be loyal to the local tool makers and foundry guys who helped me get this product off the ground. Some of the foundries out of state quoted $35,000 to prototype the cast jack stand. Tooling and a few prototypes for testing. Off shore reps offered to "lower my cost" but required an initial order of 10,000 units and with tooling needed $750,000 in initial investment. Locally - I met a pattern maker who did my prototype tool for under $2000. The local machine shop built my first steel prototype for $300. These guys wanted to see me succeed because my success would help their business. Jackpoint Jackstands gets components from 7 suppliers. All of them are US and 5 are Illinois, Missouri, or Wisconsin based. Off shore production means a probable end to my business with them. That means something to me.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Great product, can't wait to get my second set.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Rialas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
I'm not anti China. I'm just trying to be loyal to the local tool makers and foundry guys who helped me get this product off the ground. Some of the foundries out of state quoted $35,000 to prototype the cast jack stand. Tooling and a few prototypes for testing. Off shore reps offered to "lower my cost" but required an initial order of 10,000 units and with tooling needed $750,000 in initial investment. Locally - I met a pattern maker who did my prototype tool for under $2000. The local machine shop built my first steel prototype for $300. These guys wanted to see me succeed because my success would help their business. Jackpoint Jackstands gets components from 7 suppliers. All of them are US and 5 are Illinois, Missouri, or Wisconsin based. Off shore production means a probable end to my business with them. That means something to me.
Hi Jpoint. I understand your dilemma wanting to support local manufacturers. They got you started at a good rate to help you out, but it really is about the long term numbers, and it doesn't seem they're competitive enough for there's and you own sustainability.

But I do get you. We've (uk) sold our country to the chinese and I'm learning mandarin. Lol.

And if we further want to support our home economies, you should be driving a Corvette and I should be driving a British car (although I can't think of one right now).
Old 07-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Just before I retired 5 years ago from a steel company there was an explosion at a Chinese steel mill. A large high pressure steam pipe failed. I don't remember how many injuries there were. Photos of the failed pipe showed a US manufacture's name and heat code on the pipe. At the time the Chinese were not allowed to use domestic pipe in this particular pressurized steam operation. The accident investigation revealed that the pipe was in fact domestically produced and they had faked the US manufacturer's logo and heat number.

Will this type of business change? My guess is it will. But you are dealing with a lot of people and a government that doesn't appear to get too excited about pirating patents and everything that goes with the manufacturing side.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,088 Posts

My opinion: This is a question only you can answer. Is your preference to keep this product a niche product (pricing point drives that) or to expand market and move to volume? If the latter, then lower cost is going to be required. You're dealing with a demographic here that does not represent the bulk of American/Canadian opinions regarding cost/quality. Most want a functional product that is safe, and place of manufacture isn't a priority for them. For many here, we are willing to pay more for a quality engineered and built product made in US/Canada/Germany/UK/whatever. That said, I use an iPhone, designed in CA, built in China, with components inside made all over the world (US, Japan, etc). For super-high volume manufacture, massive supply chain, spin up/down production FAST, nobody can beat the Chinese. But I suspect that's not really the target of jackpoint anyway.

The real questions in my mind:
--Are profits the goal? Or is this a fun side project?
--Will you make more $ with volume? Maybe. Maybe not!?
--Are there other ways you support American economy outside of just the manufacture of the product?
--Is there another option for manufacture that strikes a happy balance?

Rialas: Japan will not be cheaper than US. Possibly much more expensive.
Audipwr1: That's what I do, it works great. Getting the car jacked up level for tranny drain/fill is necessary. However, with standard lift jackpoint it is tight under the car. I'm just paying my shop for tranny fluid changes since it's only 30min labor. Works great for everything else and I use them all the time. Feel very safe, very solid.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:55 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Last question first - a balance would be ideal. While this started as an interesting project - profit is needed to sustain the manufacture and service of a product that has now been distributed to quite a few people world wide. There is no guarantee that high volume translates to high profit - there are many moving parts for both high and low volume manufacture. Finally - there are plenty of ways to support the US economy, but this project has taught me how much greater the impact can be in hard product manufacturing. Like I said there are many moving parts. This business isn't big enough to make or break any supplier's business, but it is already making a difference in some bottom lines and is at least a consideration in a huge expansion project.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:20 PM
cpturbo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jpoint. I understand your dilemma wanting to support local manufacturers. They got you started at a good rate to help you out, but it really is about the long term numbers, and it doesn't seem they're competitive enough for there's and you own sustainability.

But I do get you. We've (uk) sold our country to the chinese and I'm learning mandarin. Lol.

And if we further want to support our home economies, you should be driving a Corvette and I should be driving a British car (although I can't think of one right now).
McLaren is a british car. You should drive one. Your type of thinking has destroyed the United States and Apple is as guilty as the tools from Sears, etc...

I can't believe this crap! Jpoint, I buy your products because they are USA made.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:37 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Believe me - I appreciate all our customers and I especially appreciate those who recognize the value and costs features of a low production product from a start up company. I also know that many of the Jackpoint buyers are not driving US made cars - but really want to support US manufacturing. I think its one thing that there are US made domestic cars, US made "foreign" cars, and cars that are imported. You can make your choice. What is harder to accept is when we get to a point where certain products have no US made options. US made tools for home mechanics (and professional mechanics) are getting harder to find and guys who grew up on US made Craftsman wrenches - for example - are glad to see a new tool that gets the job done and is also US made.

Like I said I'm not against foreign made products - I own a Porsche. But I don't want to turn my back on the local and domestic entities that helped launch this product. That is the reason for the question I asked about whether a less expensive import would put our domestic production out of business. It's easy to say - "I've been offered a license deal where all I have to do is cash the check". Turn my back and walk away. First - that deal is not on the table. Second and more difficult - if that deal is offered I need to be in a position to make an informed decision. For me money isn't the only issue in the equation. I'd like to find a balance that would net a lower priced product for some markets and retain a more individualized product for others. There is no discussion to make the current Jackpoint jack stand off shore. The possibility is a different product that used the Jackpoint patent. It would have to be cheaper and thus different than what is currently sold. Question is - is there room in the market for more than one version and would the cheaper version eliminate all demand for the current US made product - even if it could be made cheaper (but still cost more than the import).

Ideally - the opportunity would be to license the patents to mass produce an inexpensive Jackpoint style jack stand in the US and sell it world wide. That would be the ideal offer and it would certainly get my attention.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:31 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

jpoint,

IMO, as a business you need to do what you need to do to survive. No one is going to come knocking at your door for a survival kit to make a profit. I understand your dilemma with US made vs. foreign made. Two examples. My family's business is located here in the US. We have been resisting going overseas, while our main customers - (some of the biggest suppliers in the world for Medical/Server's equipment) have done so. They have been very successful. Over the last 10 years we have seen a lot of it shift out of the US. Therefore it has forced us to open operations in a foreign country as well. As long as you keep your QA/QC in check you will be fine. As a consumer all I care about is a top quality product. I would suggest you do a random sample test to make sure the metal being used is the same as what you have been using now. I have seen some of the best products come out of foreign countries were people REALLY want to work.

About quality. It is just like here in the US. What it boils down to is who you do business with. I have done business with people here in the US who deliver me mickey mouse. Big names. Hot shots. I see garbage they produce at 5-6 times the cost of doing it overseas. For our parent company we have had items made overseas and very high quality items have been made.I would not be hesitant to buy overseas products. It boils down 1). How well engineered your product is, 2)how well you control your QA/QC for your product. 3)Communication with your supplier. Would I like to support US manufacturing companies...yes and no. Yes because it feels great creating jobs locally. No, because sometimes they are extremely difficult/rude to work with vs. overseas.

You will be shocked on good of a quality product you can get done outside of the US or any of the first world countries. China made does not mean cheap anymore like it use to. Apple product is a great example. As much as I dislike apple products ( and I have iphones/ipad) they are very well engineered. Very tight / controlled QC/ QA - hence the end looking product looks and works great.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Rialas
Instructor

Originally Posted by cpturbo
McLaren is a british car. You should drive one. Your type of thinking has destroyed the United States and Apple is as guilty as the tools from Sears, etc...

I can't believe this crap! Jpoint, I buy your products because they are USA made.
I forgot about the McLaren. The "peoples car".
We in the uk should all hold hands and buy a McLaren to support our economy.
Patriotic bull.

Last edited by Rialas; 07-14-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Rialas
Instructor

+1 F1crazydriver

Jpoint.
I like your product and I like you.
I am one of those that would happily pay more for quality, but I'd also happily pay less for similar quality product.

Do what works for you and don't let others play the "emotional blackmail" card.

If you don't survive, neither do others.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 PM
cpturbo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot about the McLaren. The "peoples car".
Patriotic bull.
Well, I like to call it integrity and Pride. McLaren is as good as it can get, right now. You SHOULD be proud. They represent you all well. Some of us love the F1, 12c, 650s, and the P1.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:40 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
jpoint,

IMO, as a business you need to do what you need to do to survive. No one is going to come knocking at your door for a survival kit to make a profit. I understand your dilemma with US made vs. foreign made. As long as you keep your QA/QC in check you will be fine. As a consumer all I care about is a top quality product. I would suggest you do a random sample test to make sure the metal being used is the same as what you have been using now. I have seen some of the best products come out of foreign countries were people REALLY want to work.

About quality. It is just like here in the US. What it boils down to is who you do business with. I have done business with people here in the US who deliver me mickey mouse. Big names. Hot shots. I see garbage they produce at 5-6 times the cost of doing it overseas. For our parent company we have had items made overseas and very high quality items have been made.I would not be hesitant to buy overseas products. It boils down 1). How well engineered your product is, 2)how well you control your QA/QC for your product. 3)Communication with your supplier. Would I like to support US manufacturing companies...yes and no. Yes because it feels great creating jobs locally. No, because sometimes they are extremely difficult/rude to work with vs. overseas.

You will be shocked on good of a quality product you can get done outside of the US or any of the first world countries. China made does not mean cheap anymore like it use to. Apple product is a great example. As much as I dislike apple products ( and I have iphones/ipad) they are very well engineered. Very tight / controlled QC/ QA - hence the end looking product looks and works great.
There is no doubt that you can't make a simple decision about domestic or import without taking several factors into consideration. I started this business during the recession and I can tell you first hand US small business owners really want to work. It really opens your eyes to walk into a shop where nothing is going on and the owner is sitting there trying to figure out how to outlast the bad times - how to keep the doors open. I don't expect someone to knock of the door and make me rich, but there were several guys who opened the door and listened to my ideas when others wrote me off as too small for a "big" profit. There is something to be said about giving back. This product essentially launched on Rennlist so we give Rennlist members a discount. That discount has cost money in terms of profit - but Rennlist guys have spread the word. It's a 2 way street.

Quick Reply: Jackpoint Jackstands ???