997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Jackpoint Jackstands ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013 | 01:11 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

We're here. Just shipped 12 pairs to the set of the new Captain America movie. Your recessed pads are also on their way. Thanks
Old 06-13-2013 | 10:48 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Do you ever get requests for lower jackpoint stands?

I have your stands with the low profile pad option which are GREAT!

Here's the issue. I want to jack the cars up ONLY enough for the tire to clear the floor by about an inch. I use a wheel dolly (photo attached) to carry the wheel. It takes all the weight and makes the job much less labor intensive, and much easier on my back.

The jackpoint jackstands lift the car so high that my wheel dolly legs don't "close" enough to support the wheel. I end up having to use my jack to take the weight of the wheel. If I remove the wheel myself (especially the rear) I risk stressing my back. I've tried using my feet to take the weight but its awkward. Wheel pins help a little but the wheel dolly works great as long as the car isn't too high off the floor.

I'm sure there may be plenty of women out there who have no trouble lifting a rear wheel off their Z06 - but I try to save labor and not stress my back. I find the wheels very heavy and prefer to use a dolly rather than muscle them myself. My husband has a very bad back and is unable to help. Even the very lightweight rear wheels on our Cayman R are heavy for me to lift.

If you offered a shorter stand (that possibly could be adjustable in height by stacking another unit on top - similar to how I stack them when not in use) - my wheel dolly would be able to take the weight of the wheel.

Have you ever considered a two piece adjustable height jackpoint jackstand?

Thanks,
Carol

Last edited by needmoregarage; 06-27-2022 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2013 | 11:37 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

I certainly understand your point after just swapping 20" Cayenne wheels. Our single most frequent request is for higher rather than lower stands. The current Jackpoint Jackstand base is shorter than the original prototypes. Due to high tooling costs we tried to find a good median height for the base - high enough to get most passenger car wheels off the ground yet low enough that a track car wouldn't need to be jacked to an unsafe height to get the stands in place.
We tested the stands at the track using common "racing style" jacks and found the prototype base was high enough that some jacks started to tip or twist. This was due in part to the less than ideal surface you often encounter at race tracks where the paddock roads are rough and some jacks don't roll well to relocate as the car is lifted. Also, many inexpensive aluminum jacks get less stable/strong as they reach maximum height. We shortened the base 1" noting that some of these jacks max out at around 14"+. We wanted the low profile stand to go under the car at about 13" of jack height.
At the same time, we wanted a stand that would work on a variety of cars - including sedans. The lower base generally won't get an SUV high enough for the tires to clear the ground. We encountered a similar issue with full size luxury cars with lots of suspension travel. Though those aren't the original target vehicles, many customers wanted to use the stands on their other cars after using them on their track or sports car. For some of those vehicles we offer a stackable pad for greater height and ground clearance. Going shorter presents a different challenge.
As I said, I understand your point and we welcome those kinds of challenges. I'm already contemplating some possible solutions.
Old 06-16-2013 | 10:35 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpoint
I certainly understand your point after just swapping 20" Cayenne wheels. .........
As I said, I understand your point and we welcome those kinds of challenges. I'm already contemplating some possible solutions.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate understanding what went into the thought process on choosing a "standard" height. The stacking pads are a great option for more height. We don't currently own an SUV but good to know there are options. If you come up with a shorter option I'd appreciate a PM in case I miss the thread - but I'll make a point to look for updates.

Carol
Old 06-17-2013 | 01:39 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate understanding what went into the thought process on choosing a "standard" height. The stacking pads are a great option for more height. We don't currently own an SUV but good to know there are options. If you come up with a shorter option I'd appreciate a PM in case I miss the thread - but I'll make a point to look for updates.

Carol
Thanks - I'll also let you know if we come up with a better way to lift your wheels up to get them on or off the car.
Old 07-23-2013 | 04:44 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Has anyone used these on top of their plastic garage floor tiles? Just wondering if I need to put something sturdy under the legs of the jackpoint stands so they don't pierce or deform the plastic floor.
Old 07-30-2013 | 10:55 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Is there a dealer for Jackpoint Jack Stands in England? or are we out of luck?

Also, which set would you recommend for a 996 Mk1 GT3?
Old 07-30-2013 | 09:06 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AWay
Has anyone used these on top of their plastic garage floor tiles? Just wondering if I need to put something sturdy under the legs of the jackpoint stands so they don't pierce or deform the plastic floor.
Sorry - but we've never tried them on plastic floor tiles so I can't say. What brand of tile is it?
Old 07-30-2013 | 09:17 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by E4VLL
Is there a dealer for Jackpoint Jack Stands in England? or are we out of luck?

Also, which set would you recommend for a 996 Mk1 GT3?
We ship to the UK. The low profile pads would be best for your Gt3. Email me for details on the GT3 and for shipping rates to England. Shipping across the pond gets quite a bit cheaper with multiple pairs so if you know others who want them get everybody to order at the same time.
Old 07-31-2013 | 12:55 AM
AP328
Rennlist Member

Sorry - but we've never tried them on plastic floor tiles so I can't say. What brand of tile is it?
I have used them to support a 996.2 GT3 on Racedeck with no issues at all.
Old 08-03-2013 | 05:57 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

We ship to the UK. The low profile pads would be best for your Gt3. Email me for details on the GT3 and for shipping rates to England. Shipping across the pond gets quite a bit cheaper with multiple pairs so if you know others who want them get everybody to order at the same time.
I'd be interested in splitting shipping to UK as need to get a pair of these.
Old 08-05-2013 | 05:43 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dervish
My suggestion from past experience is you and E4vll should find a location/region good for both of you and send me the postal code via email (john@jackpoint.us). I can ship the stands to that location and you can pick them up or distribute from there. Once I have the postal code I can get shipping quoted for the number of pairs you need.
Old 08-05-2013 | 06:44 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Do you ever get requests for lower jackpoint stands?

I have your stands with the low profile pad option which are GREAT!

Here's the issue. I want to jack the cars up ONLY enough for the tire to clear the floor by about an inch. I use a wheel dolly (photo attached) to carry the wheel. It takes all the weight and makes the job much less labor intensive, and much easier on my back.

The jackpoint jackstands lift the car so high that my wheel dolly legs don't "close" enough to support the wheel. I end up having to use my jack to take the weight of the wheel. If I remove the wheel myself (especially the rear) I risk stressing my back. I've tried using my feet to take the weight but its awkward. Wheel pins help a little but the wheel dolly works great as long as the car isn't too high off the floor.

I'm sure there may be plenty of women out there who have no trouble lifting a rear wheel off their Z06 - but I try to save labor and not stress my back. I find the wheels very heavy and prefer to use a dolly rather than muscle them myself. My husband has a very bad back and is unable to help. Even the very lightweight rear wheels on our Cayman R are heavy for me to lift.

If you offered a shorter stand (that possibly could be adjustable in height by stacking another unit on top - similar to how I stack them when not in use) - my wheel dolly would be able to take the weight of the wheel.

Have you ever considered a two piece adjustable height jackpoint jackstand?

Thanks,
Carol
I have considered a wheel dolly several times as a way to relieve stress on a very delicate and damaged back. How high do the wheel dolly's raise a tire off the ground? And what brand is yours?
Old 08-08-2013 | 06:47 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dervish
Dervish - would it be worth one of us starting a thread on one of the UK forums (Pistonheads, 911UK or PCGB Forum?)

What do you think?

I'm up for buying a couple of sets (with pads for my GT3 and also another car) and shared shipping to a UK location would be ideal.
Old 08-09-2013 | 07:38 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E4VLL
Dervish - would it be worth one of us starting a thread on one of the UK forums (Pistonheads, 911UK or PCGB Forum?)

What do you think?

I'm up for buying a couple of sets (with pads for my GT3 and also another car) and shared shipping to a UK location would be ideal.
You have PM, have some other guys who may be interested.

Quick Reply: Jackpoint Jackstands ???