Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Jackpoint Jackstands ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

Rich - please keep in mind the surface and the jack you're using as well as the condition of the jacking location on the car, the particular car and your own comfort level. Under some circumstances you could encounter some instability in the process. For example, I have a jack that starts to flex when you further extend it while jacking on a pavement surface (rather than smooth concrete). Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but the most cautious approach would be to do a corner at a time. No critique of the method suggested above, but I can't endorse it as "the" method as I don't assume everyone is jacking their cars under ideal circumstances. Also, many owners use these on their "other" car(s). Not every car has the weight bias to make this method work. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:09 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

^ Good (j)point, and I agree.

You can never be careful enough when jacking a car. On the Porsche, the difference between heights to insert one stand v. inserting the two is minimal, but, even to simply put in one stand, you might get close to the limits of the jack.

This summer, at the track, a friend was going to jack the car to fix a loose front splitter. I said wait, let's be safe, so I yanked out my Jackpoint stand. Long story short, car was in neutral, and when I jacked up the rear with my "flimsy" jack, the car rolled back and fell off, bending the jack in the process.

Message here is... NEVER ASSUME IT IS SAFE! There was minimal damage to the car, but other than feeling quite silly, I learned an important lesson that day.

Always be careful out there
Old 10-16-2011, 03:02 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drl
Arcan XL 3.5 ton Low Profile floor jack, the one sold at Costco. For the price seemed like a good deal. This jack gets good reviews on many car forums, whereas similarly priced HF and Craftsman get pretty miserable reviews. The thing is a beast and weighs a ton so will be a good stay-at-home jack.
Jacks present an interesting issue. The monster jacks are too heavy to travel and, thus, stay at home lifting cars on smooth, level, concrete surfaces. The aluminum jacks travel to the track where they lift cars on rough asphalt roads that are often sloped and uneven.

On the monster side, the Arcan weighs in favorably among many that pick up from 3 1/2". If you're looking for a true low profile monster, Griot's sells one for about $400 that has a minimum pick up height of 2 5/8". Omega has one that gets 1/8" lower than that at 2 1/2" and is about $100 less. Both are nice, but hefty at 90lbs +

On the aluminum side - a "true" racing jack like Brunnhoelzl will cost around$1000, but they're US made and - at that price - I think they'll do it in any color you want and in single, 3, or 6 pump versions. Their standard saddle (jack plate) on the 2 1/2" pick up is a bit too large for a certain jack pad, but they will do that jack with a smaller saddle as a custom piece.

I've seen several bad reviews on the Craftsman "racing" jack, but I also know mechanics who drag the 2 ton aluminum Craftsmans to the track and beat on them day after day. I used one at Gingerman that looked like it had been draged to the track behind the truck. It still worked fine and was very stable (no flexing). However, it won't get as low as the Brunnhoelzl.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 AM
EPWilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a better picture of my car up in the air:

Originally Posted by EPWilson
Originally Posted by 911rox
I think its firewood stacked up against the window... my guess in any case...
911rox is correct, it's firewood stacked up in a rack behind the window.
And for you guys that noticed firewood in the last pictures, here's the full stock pile:

Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Not what I expected (regarding the wood).

Thanks for the image.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 AM
May911-85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a woodpile!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Expecting a long cold winter?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:21 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Default lift

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
Also requesting a PM if there is a group buy / rennlist discount.
I'm interested in 2 pairs (4 stands total).
Finish does not matter= cheapest.

P.S.-- I've never had any car, truck, suv slip off a jack/jackstand until the 997. Has slipped off twice. Broke an underbody plastic panel (they're pretty cheap, surprisingly), and darn near chopped off my ring finger (no exaggeration-- took a big chunk out of my finger.) I think the only reason my finger didn't get chopped off is that when the car and jack came down on my finger, the finger got bent and shoved away by the metal, making it more of a glancing chop. If something had held my finger still, I'm pretty sure it would have been chopped off. My finger now has a permanent big lump, and is crooked. Since then, I've been in the market for either a Bend-Pak type lift or these jackstands. Hey, is a testimonial worth anything?
Are you looking at 2 or 4 post lifts?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:56 AM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes and no. Like I said, I've been looking for a while now at the jackpoint jackstands, and I've also been looking at scissor lifts, but not 2- or 4-post lifts. The jackstands and the scissor lifts both have their pro and cons, just trying to decide. Paralysis by analysis.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:07 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

This may not help your analysis, but I owned a 4 post and still felt a need for the jackpoints. Of course - that first pair was really, really expensive.

There are lots of factors to consider, but a couple that can limit your options. For example - the lift isn't a good choice if you need portability. But, the lift probably gives you greater working height if you do all your work at home.

Analysis is good. I never regret the decisions I overthink except when I say "I should have done this sooner". I felt that way after I bought my first Porsche.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, that would be what I'd like best--both the lift and the jackpoint stands.
Well, you can't always get what you want, but if you try som...
Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Placed an order with IMGT3 on Oct 12. Received an email confirmation from Chris May. A day or two later, my credit card showed a pending charge. Then the pending charge went away.

So, they didn't charge me, but what gives? Tried calling Chris, today but was too late. Tried to leave a message, but the recording told me it was an invalid message. Guess I'm not very good at communicating.

Jpoint, do you know why my order was cancelled? Maybe I've got bad breath. lol

The order was for a Jackpoint basic kit, matte finish and low profile cap. Guess I'll resort to my old fashioned method of lifting the GT3.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

not the old fashion method! Got a pair w/ your name on 'em.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
Yes and no. Like I said, I've been looking for a while now at the jackpoint jackstands, and I've also been looking at scissor lifts, but not 2- or 4-post lifts. The jackstands and the scissor lifts both have their pro and cons, just trying to decide. Paralysis by analysis.
I just returned from SEMA. Talk about paralysis by analysis - OMG (or I would say Holy $#!^). So many options for everything you could want to do. Needed 2 more days to scratch the surface. It's like the auto show on Jack's magic beans.

However, not so much stuff for road racers/Porsches. Only saw a single 997.

There was a cool product for those who tow their enclosed trailer with a Cayenne. I know that's for a different thread, but here's the link anyway. I know folks with Cayennes scream about not being able to see around the trailer. This might help.

http://www.jrprvinc.com/catalog.php?link=aero

Last edited by jpoint; 11-08-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add link
Old 11-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome back, jpoint. Sounds like you had an entertaining trip to SEMA.

Many thanks to you and Chris May at IMGT3 for the Jack Stand delivery. By far the most stable stands I've used. Have no compulsions about using them on any of my vehicles. That is, except for the Tow Toad. Even your beefy Jack Stands would groan under a detroit diesel series 60 engine. Got Torque!

Quick Reply: Jackpoint Jackstands ???