Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS Crashed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM
RAPID
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of those of us who track in the rain or have tracked in the rain, i am willing to bet at least half have spinned at least once. I did twice, the second time it was expensive. When it rains now I use tires with deep profile, and a very light foot. As far as catching the spin in the rain, do not feel guilty, it goes so fast compared to a spin in the dry that only pros or guys who have practised drifting can catch it...Sorry about your car, but you are ok and that's what counts!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,540 Likes on 2,306 Posts

I recall following a 997.1 GT3 around the Nordschleife in the wet (I was in a Targa 4S) after he spun
twice, once on the exit of hocheihen and the other on metzgesfeld during a PSDS it was not a pretty
sight ... the driver who was from Norway as I recall decided (quite rightly) to call it a day after that!

rain truly dials the risk up significantly ... esp with max-perf tyres like the MPSC and Corsas (although I think they are noticably better than the MPSC)

As you say, its a remarkably skilled driver that can recover from such!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,991 Likes on 561 Posts

OP- having raced the 25 hour at T-hill in 28* F weather I can say that there are a lot of difficult and subtle turns and camber changes, so I feel for you immensely. Having bought some armco while racing the last 2 years I really really feel you.

FWIW in the rain now- I only drive my spec boxster or mx5 cup car, or a formula car (racing wet or dry). it's not worth putting my CGT or RS's on the track in a roulette game.

collectively- we spend a lot of time tuning our cars for the "ultimate set up" with high amounts of camber- stiffness in the sway bars etc. this is a DRY set up and will in fact get you in trouble on a wet course.

F1 guys are the best in the world and spin out all the time, in cars with 3000 lbs of downforce.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like I'm late for a funeral. My condolences. I'm glad you take the courage to post these kind of posts, it keep idiots like me from "just seeing how wet it really is out there". I've gone out quite a few times in the rain, and although I enjoy the slipping and sliding, in the back of my mind I'm always thinking "what the F are you doing out here"
Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Pete, so sorry to hear this and glad you are okay. Best of luck with the insurance settelment and way to get back on the horse!! I have never had much luck driving in the rain and try to avoid it at all cost as I am way to immature to keep my right foot in check!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about this and glad you're ok.
Please let us know what happens.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 743 Posts

Of those of us who track in the rain or have tracked in the rain, i am willing to bet at least half have spinned at least once.
I always went out in the rain and enjoyed it a lot, never spun and going faster than pretty much everyone around me. Starting to think I was getting a bit too brave. So I will re-thing wet driving and back it way the hell down from now on. I'll take this free to me warning gladly.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 195 Posts

^If u had no problems driving in the rain why tone it down? I almost guarantee mistakes are most made when u try another driving style. mike
Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 743 Posts

I think taking it 6/10th. is good enough apposed to 8/10th. before.
I do have track insurance, but I will get better coverage in october. Good for at least 1 sec a lap ;-). maybe I'll get a better helmet and that will be good for a few thenths right there..
Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the plan Savy? Replacement with 2011; are there build slots available at all; do you mind farting around with a dealer/Porsche spec'ed RS? I mean there are many ways you can go.

In the meantime there will be a lot of good vibes, positive energy and light thrown your way!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
collectively- we spend a lot of time tuning our cars for the "ultimate set up" with high amounts of camber- stiffness in the sway bars etc. this is a DRY set up and will in fact get you in trouble on a wet course.
The most accurate statement on this thread...second only to the safety equipment requirements as stated by the OP

I've been backwards on a track more times than I care to remember trying to get that last 10th of 10/10.....stuffed my GT2R in the wall after the hairpin @ Mosport in a rain practice session (got my neck wrung pretty nicely as well, thnx that I had a HANS on, it was not that bad...ended up winning that after unbending the car over night ...)

streetable track car DE drivers must take into account this wet/dry differential and be aware of how easy it is to "go wet" with minor sway bar adjustments trackside"....otherwise our risks are exsponentially increased.

Personally; I hate the rain and would rather sit in the trailer and take a nap than take a risk bending my or someone elses car

Glad you get to live and fight another day!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, really sorry to hear about your car. But what really matters is that you're OK!

Now, about track driving in the rain. We have all done our fair share and had our 'moments'. However, as we become more advanced, and start to go faster, that's when the trouble begins.

Couple of weeks ago I was at the Glen and it was raining. At the drivers' meeting I saw an old acquaintance, a very experienced (a couple of decades worth) driver with a GT3 Cup. I walked over to him and we started chatting. I asked him, "Don, what tires do you use in the rain?" He looked at me, smiled, and said "Slicks!" "Slicks???", I exclaimed. And he said, "You see...I have a rain line...up the ramps into my trailer!" A very smart man, indeed.

Unless it's a race...why bother with running in the rain? Yeah, I know, I know...it teaches you to become a better driver, yada, yada, yada...
Old 05-28-2010, 11:29 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default new RS

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
What is the plan Savy? Replacement with 2011; are there build slots available at all; do you mind farting around with a dealer/Porsche spec'ed RS? I mean there are many ways you can go.

In the meantime there will be a lot of good vibes, positive energy and light thrown your way!!!

...and don't forget, the 2011 cars will have an additional 33hp and rev higher!
best of luck in any case!

Last edited by NelsonF; 05-29-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:57 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, thanks to all for the kind comments and encouragement!! And for the really great suggestions and feedback and personal anecdotes.

Ok, back home from track now. Rode with car on the flatbed truck. In the cab of the truck, that is. I feel fine and aside from my airbag arm I have no aches or pain. Porsche chassis and safety gear for the win

Upon close examination, and not in the mud and pouring rain it appears that the damage is not as bad as feared and tub is not tweaked. In fact, given the hit, I am stunned at the lack of tub damage.

I vividly remember during the hit how freaking solid it felt as it contacted. Like the face of two hammers hitting. Porsche builds one hell of a strong chassis, no doubt there.

A lot of energy must have been absorbed by the tire wall in front of the concrete wall. And more energy went into projecting the car vertical.

It will be an expensive fix, but unless the frame rack shows tweaking not currently apparent, then the car is repairable and may well rise from the mishap better than before. Stay tuned...this can have a very positive outcome in more ways than one.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,512 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

It will be an expensive fix, but unless the frame rack shows tweaking not currently apparent, then the car is repairable and may well rise from the mishap better than before. Stay tuned...this can have a very positive outcome in more ways than one.
keep us posted.
and i'll show you the silver car when it's done.
you can be the "blue" car.

Quick Reply: RS Crashed