Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS Crashed

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 PM
cscrogham
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Stand up guy, thanks for sharing Pete and we are all glad you are OK. It makes me sad that I will see your car's brother for the first time tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Fred TTX50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, so very sorry to hear that. And like everyone else stated, the #1 thing is that you were able to walk away !

I think we've all had our mis-haps at Thunderhill (I have spun it twice going up the hill after 13) I was lucky not to go right and hit the wall as a fellow member totalled his RS.

So it can happen to the best of us!

Will you be getting another RS ?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

so sorry to hear about the mishap, pete.
we just had 2 days of blast last weekend at BW.
T15 is where most cars get eaten at TH.
glad you are all ok. and also have trk day ins.
rest up and i am sure you will be back in full force SOON.

and as pete said, invest in roll bar, harness and hans.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all for the outpouring of support. Truly and genuinely appreciated. ...As I sit in my hotel room waiting to get flatbedded home tomorrow My wife was with me on this trip and wanted to ride and I suggested she wait til tomorrow when dry. Very glad I did. So for a bad event everything went bad in the best way. If that makes sense.

Originally Posted by hotshoewannabe
Glad you walked away! Ironic as it is that we had another member experience a similar spin. . . could it be another coolant fitting conundrum?
Thanks! Wet day, wet track, I don't know?

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
So glad your OK, car can be replaced. (much easier then the MKI back in the day!!)

Please post the video, newbie or oldie the fact remains that going on a race track has its inherit risk of hitting something. I'm interested to see the scenario you were in at the time.
Thanks Peter. Let me get facts settled and insurance settled first before vid post. Thank for being patient and understanding.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Damn, so sorry to read this Pete.

Very glad you are OK! If you are OK, then you got away with it.
A nasty bruise is a cheap price to pay.
Cars are cars, you had insurance.

Very stand up to share this with us.
I've had people ask me not to post mishaps that I caught on camera, I respect it that also.

Unfortunately we all will or have spun and things happen. Sometime we get lucky, sometimes we hit something.
I always post my mishap film, it might scare some of us, but I think it is good to be scared. Our hobby can hurt you.

If you push it, it can happen, but I've seen your video's and curious to see what happened with SC and TC on! I always run with it off..

Please post what you find out, I was just planning to change my coolant to water wetter after seeing cars spin on their coolant..

Be well!
Thanks for the kind words Peter! Agreed with all your comments.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Pete,

I'm very sorry, but relieved that you are OK.

Just read that your LSD was shot, then this happened...

Take good care.
Thanks Tim. Yes, streak of interesting happenings...

Originally Posted by 9972RS
look at it this in the positive way. now you get to choose another color!!!

things happen, but just be glad you can live to enjoy another day.
Indeed! But I love (d) my Blue Gold!

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I'm glad that you are ok. I hope you get quickly better from those airbags bruises. I think airbags are useless once we have helmet, cage, 6-point harness, etc.

I used to run track days rain or shine, but I grew older and now I don't get on the track unless in bone dry.

You could buy it back for cheap from the insurance company, get a new tub and build a dedicated track car.
I think you are a wise man, avoiding wet tracks. I need to rethink that. But it is such a good experience for car control and I was really enjoying the challenge of the wet today...

Interesting on the buy back. I think the tub on mine is shot, only good for parting out. Will look at all options as insurance gets sorted out.

Originally Posted by atleung
So sorry to hear this, Pete. Glad you were not more badly hurt. Will be very interested in what you find out as the cause(s).
Thanks Al. Me too...

Originally Posted by GT3
Aww man. Glad you're okay Pete. I need to stop BS'ing and get some track insurance. Which do you have?
Thanks! WSIB is insurance. http://www.wsibinsurance.com/online/de.shtml

Originally Posted by ADias
Pete: I am glad you are fine. I am sure you will get to the bottom of it and understand what went wrong.
Thanks Tony. I fully expect to be at LS on Mon/Tues if you can make it. Look for my Spyder.

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Sorry to hear about what happened to you, but great to know you are fine. I am glad you made the choice to post this as a good dose of reality of what can happen out on the track is something we all need to hear from time to time. Great message at the end of your post about safety equipment also!
Thank Mike. It is reality, and if someone reads it and decides to buy a HANS and full face helmet and driving suit then I am thrilled.

Originally Posted by speedoflight
FCCKKK!! glad you are okay man. and good to hear you got track day insurance. ditto on the safety gears.
Thanks Joe!

Originally Posted by Nizer
Wow, a real bummer. Glad you're okay and glad to hear that you had insurance. Lot's of lessons here: get track insurance, get and use full safety gear, and swap out the coolant. Your description sounds a lot like what happened to fc-racer. Did you find any coolant on the track?
Agreed with your comments for sure. No way to tell regarding track, too wet from rain.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

What is important is that you are safe...what kind of tires did you have in the rain?
I recall driving in the rain on MPSC and the car all of a sudden went from straight to rotating the rear end ...did not hit anything but was scarry enough to come in and never out in the rain on these tires.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:25 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

who can do a nice roll bar install in NY/CT/NJ area?

sorry to hear about the incident. very curious to understand the cause. honestly giving me a little bit of cold feet about the new RS seeing these track issues over the past couple days with blown antifreeze, LSD, etc. this really should not happen to what is supposed to be the ultimate streetable track car.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear you are well; the car can be replaced, not so with you!

I hope you "get back in the saddle" sooner than later.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:48 PM
jshudson
Advanced

Glad you are safe, and more glad you had good safety gear.
Everything else can be replaced. It makes me think I am not as equipped as I should be....
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad to hear your ok! She did her job by protecting you!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jshudson
Glad you are safe, and more glad you had good safety gear.
Everything else can be replaced. It makes me think I am not as equipped as I should be....
Glad Pete is ok, and everyone is correct about safety gear.

From last week's Patron race at Laguna - roll cages are a good thing......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIArM...eature=feedrec
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

One person has seen the video and I won't post it becuase I don't want to scare newbies and/or risk hurting the activity that I love so much. Aside from getting ahead of the inevitable 2nd /3rd hand reports, my reason for posting is this:
GLAD that you are OK Pete.

I for one would like to see the video. Did you have Race-keerer running?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by cscrogham
Stand up guy, thanks for sharing Pete and we are all glad you are OK. It makes me sad that I will see your car's brother for the first time tomorrow.
Cole! Woo-ho! Congrats my friend! Sad hell! Very exciting. Can't wait to read your comments on delivery and driving.

Originally Posted by Fred TTX50
Pete, so very sorry to hear that. And like everyone else stated, the #1 thing is that you were able to walk away !

I think we've all had our mis-haps at Thunderhill (I have spun it twice going up the hill after 13) I was lucky not to go right and hit the wall as a fellow member totalled his RS.

So it can happen to the best of us!

Will you be getting another RS ?
Thanks Fred. I really wanted to meet up with you guys at TH last week. We will soon, I want to see the "Stealth Fighter" RS in person.

Every intention to get back in RS saddle as soon as all the insurance stuff can get sorted out. It looks good to find a landed RS right now. I hope. Installing all the gear again is a PITA but I am up for the effort!

Originally Posted by mooty
so sorry to hear about the mishap, pete.
we just had 2 days of blast last weekend at BW.
T15 is where most cars get eaten at TH.
glad you are all ok. and also have trk day ins.
rest up and i am sure you will be back in full force SOON.

and as pete said, invest in roll bar, harness and hans.
Yes! BW was fun fun fun.

Originally Posted by malmasri
What is important is that you are safe...what kind of tires did you have in the rain?
I recall driving in the rain on MPSC and the car all of a sudden went from straight to rotating the rear end ...did not hit anything but was scarry enough to come in and never out in the rain on these tires.
I had on the Corsa Systems, only 4 track days on them so good tread depth. Up to the mishap, while I was able to provoke/overdrive into some skittishness, it was completely controllable. Skittish->correct. Skittish->correct. It was excellent lesson in wet car control and nothing scary.

I would not call the Corsa's progressive but I would not call them on/off either?

Originally Posted by superquant
who can do a nice roll bar install in NY/CT/NJ area?

sorry to hear about the incident. very curious to understand the cause. honestly giving me a little bit of cold feet about the new RS seeing these track issues over the past couple days with blown antifreeze, LSD, etc. this really should not happen to what is supposed to be the ultimate streetable track car.
The GT3/RS is such a good platform. It is a fantasitc car. Its issues are so minor compared to just about other possible choice of track toy. Every moment driving the RS is truly a joy.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear man... Glad you are ok. Best of luck with things.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
... Installing all the gear again is a PITA but I am up for the effort!

i would really just leave the car with tony and have him do bar/strap and all.
the silver car is there right now. you would not believe what he did to it.
he calls me when it's all done.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by thusly
Glad Pete is ok, and everyone is correct about safety gear.
From last week's Patron race at Laguna - roll cages are a good thing......
Holy crapola!

Originally Posted by MJones
GLAD that you are OK Pete.

I for one would like to see the video. Did you have Race-keerer running?
Thanks Brian, and glad you are ok too! RK was running and working perfectly after I tweaked some settings per the RK folks.

My little bend up looks like a walk in the park compared to Thusly's video.

Quick Reply: RS Crashed