Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS Crashed

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:48 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RS Crashed

It is going to get public so I might as well announce it and clear the air. My RS went into the pit wall at Thunderhill today. It occured after exiting turn 15, and the track was wet.

Aside from a nasty bruise where the airbag exploded into my arm while I was still trying to steer my way out, I am fine but the car is probably totaled. I have track day insurance.

*The group sponsoring this event is ultra professional and safe and had nothing to do with my off* Nor did any other drivers.

The facts behind why this occured (driver error or mechanical failure) will be explored and when they are fully known I will share. Need to carefully examine the car which will be done as soon as possible.

I did not j-hook it, did not get into the exit berm or the puddle beside it, steering wheel was straight, car was straight, and throttle application was measured and moderate. I ALWAYS drive with PSM and Traction control activated.

The car was straight and settled, then it was instantly sideways.

The car impacted the pit wall on the RF, went airborne while similtanously rotating the passenger side and right rear into the wall, and landed back on its feet.

I have never had a serious off, never even came close to a scary moment in my RS. Handling was always forgiving, benign and progressive.

One person has seen the video and I won't post it becuase I don't want to scare newbies and/or risk hurting the activity that I love so much. Aside from getting ahead of the inevitable 2nd /3rd hand reports, my reason for posting is this:

Let my incident be your lesson. My HANS device saved my neck. My full face helmet with visor saved my corneas from my airbag. My 6 point harness spead the impact evenly over my body. Forget the loud exhaust, wheels, and other various bells and whistles and invest in proper safety gear before anything else.

Stuff can happen to anybody at anytime. Be safe.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
hotshoewannabe
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you walked away! Ironic as it is that we had another member experience a similar spin. . . could it be another coolant fitting conundrum?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

So glad your OK, car can be replaced. (much easier then the MKI back in the day!!)

Please post the video, newbie or oldie the fact remains that going on a race track has its inherit risk of hitting something. I'm interested to see the scenario you were in at the time.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Damn, so sorry to read this Pete.

Very glad you are OK! If you are OK, then you got away with it.
A nasty bruise is a cheap price to pay.
Cars are cars, you had insurance.

Very stand up to share this with us.
I've had people ask me not to post mishaps that I caught on camera, I respect it that also.

Unfortunately we all will or have spun and things happen. Sometime we get lucky, sometimes we hit something.
I always post my mishap film, it might scare some of us, but I think it is good to be scared. Our hobby can hurt you.

If you push it, it can happen, but I've seen your video's and curious to see what happened with SC and TC on! I always run with it off..

Please post what you find out, I was just planning to change my coolant to water wetter after seeing cars spin on their coolant..

Be well!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Pete,

I'm very sorry, but relieved that you are OK.

Just read that your LSD was shot, then this happened...

Take good care.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:09 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

look at it this in the positive way. now you get to choose another color!!!

things happen, but just be glad you can live to enjoy another day.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad that you are ok. I hope you get quickly better from those airbags bruises. I think airbags are useless once we have helmet, cage, 6-point harness, etc.

I used to run track days rain or shine, but I grew older and now I don't get on the track unless in bone dry.

You could buy it back for cheap from the insurance company, get a new tub and build a dedicated track car.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 PM
atleung
Instructor

So sorry to hear this, Pete. Glad you were not more badly hurt. Will be very interested in what you find out as the cause(s).
Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Very sorry to hear. Glad that you are okay.. as well as having track insurance.. you will be back soon no doubt.. !
Old 05-27-2010, 10:21 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Geez, glad to hear that you're okay. Sorry about the car of course.

Porsche needs to address this if it is learned that it was another coolant leak.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts

Aww man. Glad you're okay Pete.

I need to stop BS'ing and get some track insurance. Which do you have?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Pete: I am glad you are fine. I am sure you will get to the bottom of it and understand what went wrong.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear about what happened to you, but great to know you are fine. I am glad you made the choice to post this as a good dose of reality of what can happen out on the track is something we all need to hear from time to time. Great message at the end of your post about safety equipment also!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:47 PM
speedoflight
Racer

FCCKKK!! glad you are okay man. and good to hear you got track day insurance. ditto on the safety gears.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The car was straight and settled, then it was instantly sideways.
Wow, a real bummer. Glad you're okay and glad to hear that you had insurance. Lot's of lessons here: get track insurance, get and use full safety gear, and swap out the coolant. Your description sounds a lot like what happened to fc-racer. Did you find any coolant on the track?

Quick Reply: RS Crashed