Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS Crashed

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rixon
I Never heard of "track day insurance"? Which carrier offers it and how can I get it?
See post 128 in this thread.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Thanks for the great thread.

I too am going through an insurance claim on a RS that had a smack.

This is the risk we all know and take with these high end track ready street cars.

Im a nervous nancy in the rain always and feel for your pain on this.

When insurance cuts you a cheque for your loss, ask to buy back the car for a low ball price as you want it for a "spare parts" car or "rebuilder" project.

if you can locate a 2010 Tub from PMNA, and a race shop who can do the quick swap, you will have the meanest track car with a license plate in your town Maybe for under 100k too!

CUP car with RS running gear and title! Drive to and from track @ less than 2900 pounds and A/C.
Fortunately, the real damage to the car is apparently entirely cosmetic. It doesn't seem to be anywhere near a write-off. Still, the idea of getting a "body in white" and swapping over the VIN ... Hmmm ...
Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Sorry about the car, but it sounds like you know where to place priorities--safety equipment. Most put their money into go faster stuff, and leave the HANS devise as something that doesn't make them go faster--silly and stupid. Glad you survived to race again.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+ 1 million on the HANS.

Once you wear it you wonder "Holy **** I used to run on track WITHOUT THIS ???!?"

Watch some early 2000s rally in car camera crashes to see what happens to your head in a wreck.
It is a freaking absolutely SHOCKING.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

I tracked my gt3 for 4 years wo HANS. WTF was I thinking? Bit cumbersome to line up shoulder belts to Hans collar but feels way more comfortable then just shoulder belt- edges cutting into my shoulder. Mike
Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Savy,
Sorry to hear about your wreck. But it looks like it will buff right out. Just glad to hear that you are all right and I am always pleased to see people preaching safety equipment. The stupid things I see on track here in Colorado could make a book. Track days and open hot lapping around here so often see such little preparation or consideration. I personally track in the rain, but never in my 911 or 914. Rain days are WRX territory.

If there's anything we can do to help you put your car back together, please let me know. Be sure to inspect your gearbox and engine very carefully after a hit like that. With how stiff the mounts are on these cars things can crack and not be immediately apparent. I've seen many broken gearboxes missed and cause a secondary incident after the sheetmetal repairs to a car are complete and the car is back on the road because they were far away from the point of impact and just not suspected of being compromised. Look over things with a magnifying glass (figuratively) and seriously consider dropping the engine and transmission for inspection. And of course, if for whatever reason you don't install those parts you recently bought, just return them to me. If you can't use them, under the circumstances I'll give you a full refund.

Once again, glad to hear you are safe and sound.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Old 06-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Longdaddy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey there. regg'ed on here just to post. We were there with a yellow corvette and black 996TT (i'm the guy with a funny accent)

first of all, I would like to commend you on getting back in the saddle after this, in just a couple of days, at Laguna. Many people wait months after something like that before going back on the track, if ever

secondly, don't let this turn you off from doing rain days. Most car control skills I have I learned, I picked up on the wet days where you either figure things out or park the car. Turn the computers off, dial down the speeds and go from there. it's like 2 miles of skidpad!

I had a nasty off myself next session in t7, decided to experiment looking for a "dry'er" line and finding a river instead on track left. no warning, no recovery, instant hydroplaning on one side and rotation/slide. went through the field parallel to the track sideways digging the tires in - all the way to the second access road just before 8. luckily there was nothing to hit when I flew off and center of gravity on the vette is low enough to avoid rolling at those speeds when digging tires into the soft soil (I definitely felt the weight unload on one side though)

the track was just plain nasty for the first 3 sessions. hydroplaning in many spots. even going perfectly straight, my car was sidestepping in 4th gear on the straight just before the start station. pretty exiting.

just as that fateful session started, the rain really picked up and the water did start spreading from the exit berm onto the surface, changing conditions significantly from our initial experience. it may not looked like standing water but it was there. you showed me your video at Laguna. I think the incident was a combination of one wheel being in more water than the other and possibly some LSD funkiness. I think this is the same situation as what I experienced further down on the front straight - no steering input, steady throttle, more water under one side - car moves right - although in my case this was more of a sidestep than a rotation. another theory - rubber from the right tires of cars on a dry line gets slippery and you put your left tire on it. I did dial down the track out in that corner, but not as far right as you in the video, maybe about 1/2 car width closer to the curbing, my traction on the exit was OK, although I was moving a little slower through 15 and apexing later to minimize side loads on the exit.

You may never find out what really happened, the truth is, things like that happen and we move on. Again, much respect to you for dusting out the good ol' "backup car" and coming to Laguna. You made several good choices - track insurance, safety equipment etc. Good lesson to learn for people who strap on factory 3pt belt in the 400+hp car they may be making payments on for a few years and go out onto the road course. I've certainly been there, glad I changed my ways before I had to learn the hard way

the gentleman who mentioned that most track cars end up being set up for the dry is dead on. I took our turbo out for a few laps on that day, which is a lot closer to factory setup than my vette, and it felt a lot more stable at the same cornering speeds as corvette. in the dry, the turbo barely comes close.

btw, the incident at Laguna was just stupid. the Miata that t-boned the Porsche was driven by the instructor too. talk about embarrassing.
my first time seeing car to car contact at a DE and totally preventable at that (at least from the description I heard from the guy who was following them - I am sure thare are many sides to the story).
Old 06-06-2010, 11:01 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTgears
And of course, if for whatever reason you don't install those parts you recently bought, just return them to me. If you can't use them, under the circumstances I'll give you a full refund.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Words of wisdom from a man that has been there/done that. I can't wait to get your clutches/ramps installed. Thanks Matt.

Originally Posted by Longdaddy
hey there. regg'ed on here just to post. We were there with a yellow corvette and black 996TT (i'm the guy with a funny accent)
Igor! Thanks for making the effort to post this. Great to meet you all (very sorry cannot remember your Lady Friend's name )at TH and again at LS. Hope you enjoyed your Track Tour and made it back to WA safe and sound. A lot of high-quality, well-thought out comment and words of wisdom in your post.

Exercised Mr. Spyder yesterday at a SCCA time trial/DE event at Reno-Fernley Raceway which is now back open on a limited basis. Spydey (100% stock except for MPSC's) placed 3rd out of 15 or 18 cars in the Club Trials behind a GTR (driven by former national Kart champion) and well driven 'Vette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPk4VAnkfzI
Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt is spot on with the engine drop. It is the only way to see parts of the body that can be damaged. Most any car can be put back together an look straight and good for the street but with the forces places on the car at the track can be unsafe.

Originally Posted by GTgears
Savy,
Sorry to hear about your wreck. But it looks like it will buff right out. Just glad to hear that you are all right and I am always pleased to see people preaching safety equipment. The stupid things I see on track here in Colorado could make a book. Track days and open hot lapping around here so often see such little preparation or consideration. I personally track in the rain, but never in my 911 or 914. Rain days are WRX territory.

If there's anything we can do to help you put your car back together, please let me know. Be sure to inspect your gearbox and engine very carefully after a hit like that. With how stiff the mounts are on these cars things can crack and not be immediately apparent. I've seen many broken gearboxes missed and cause a secondary incident after the sheetmetal repairs to a car are complete and the car is back on the road because they were far away from the point of impact and just not suspected of being compromised. Look over things with a magnifying glass (figuratively) and seriously consider dropping the engine and transmission for inspection. And of course, if for whatever reason you don't install those parts you recently bought, just return them to me. If you can't use them, under the circumstances I'll give you a full refund.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Old 06-06-2010, 02:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,495 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Longdaddy
h

btw, the incident at Laguna was just stupid. the Miata that t-boned the Porsche was driven by the instructor too. talk about embarrassing.
my first time seeing car to car contact at a DE and totally preventable at that (at least from the description I heard from the guy who was following them - I am sure thare are many sides to the story).
was it a spec miata or miata?
was his name jeff?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

Some people can be real stupid. One event a mitsubishi 3000gt vr4(time trialer) in the RAIN 1st session try to pass at braking zone of t14 at thill lost control spun and smacked a newly track prepped 996 Porsche from behind and careened off pcar and headed straight into tirewall on leftside(u could only see half his car- totally embedded with nose pointing outwards). 1st session- get real!! Mike
Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, been outa pocket for a while and just saw this, glad your ok, and hope it all comes back together soon for you. At least you have a backup car to drive!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 925 Posts

Savy: You are not alone....
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

that sux!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 AM