Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS Crashed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete - glad you are ok1 When i got to the track this afternoon i looked att your car. Do you want to use my trailer to get it back to Reno? Staying at the Holiday Inn Express and will be at the track tomorrow if you need to get a hold of me.

Last edited by lawjdc; 05-29-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about the mishap with your new car. The important thing is your ok as they make new cars every day. I totally agree with your statement regarding the importances of safety equipment, they should always be the first mods to everyones track car.

Best of luck sorting out the insurance issues and hopefully there is a new car (RS) in your immediate future.

Cheers
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Sorry to hear about what happened. Main thing is that you are ok, cars, as you know, are replaceable. After a crash, it's important to get back in the saddle as quickly as possible; it's great to hear you'll be out in your Spyder. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:43 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What the ....!!! Pete, you OK?

Mike
Old 05-28-2010, 12:44 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Again, thanks to all for the kind comments and support. Believe me, there is nothing I want to do more than sort out the insurance and put a new RS on track

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Pete - glad you are ok1 When i got to the track this afternoon i looked att your car. Do you want to use my trailer to get it back to Reno? Staying at the Hilton and will be at the track tomorrow if you need to get a hold of me.
Thanks Doug! I appreciate the offer, very generous. I have flatbed transport arranged already, supposed to be here early AM. Taking it directly to Jess tomorrow for exam.

Man- I was so looking forward to chasing you guys tomorrow, Ugh.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 737 Posts

My wife was with me on this trip and wanted to ride and I suggested she wait til tomorrow when dry. Very glad I did. So for a bad event everything went bad in the best way. If that makes sense.
Makes tons of sense, could have been worse, car insured and most importantly; Your wife was not in the car and we all know we can't get away with this stuff without support and forgiveness from the better halfs ;-)

Sucks that you are stuck in the hotel waiting for transport home, but beats the hell out of being in hospital.
+1 on the safety gear, although not always practicing what I preach. The Porsches are the safest cars for our hobby, specially with a Hans, 6 point and rol bar.

I am stoked to read that you are going to get back in the saddle soon
Old 05-28-2010, 12:49 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW Pete. To come here and say what you did is Ballsy. To take a very sad thing and then to use
your pain and try to help others with it is just, well it describes the kind of men that are on this list.
Pete that was really selfless. I am so glad you are OK and hope you get your prized RS replaced ASAP.

I would like to see the video. I get scared when I go to the track. We have all seen accidents there and
millions of mistakes on youtube. BUt yours may not be a mistake. It could be something else. Maybe we could help. If you are going to get scared off by watching a video, whats going to happen when you see an incident at the track YOUR at? I dont know how many times I saw the helicopter come to the MX track I was racing at or riding at. I know that helo has left with some guys that didnt make it. Thats just part of the deal.

Pete I hope it all works out in your favor, and again to come here and use your incident as a lesson for others is truly a selfless act. Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if this is the first "Totalled" for a customer mkii RS?

And glad you are well! Like said before cars can be replaced.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:02 AM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

what did you get done to your LSD? if this was the most recent work, I'd investigate it further.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:58 AM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I did not j-hook it, did not get into the exit berm or the puddle beside it, steering wheel was straight, car was straight, and throttle application was measured and moderate. I ALWAYS drive with PSM and Traction control activated.

The car was straight and settled, then it was instantly sideways.
You definitely did the right thing by using a HANS, 6-pt harness, and full-face helmet. Excellent decision making that surely prevented more serious injury. As others have expressed, the most important result is that you walked away with the ability to write this thread.

As for the cause, it sounds like a mechanical failure of some sort for sure, with one wheel spinning and/or losing traction suddenly. You were off the brakes, so this rules out any brake-related driver or mechanical issues. Even in the rain with moderate throttle, the steering wheel straight, and TC fully on, I cannot imagine a cause other than a broken drivetrain component or suspension piece, coolant dump, or some other mechanical issue. Aquaplaning does not seem possible, as that requires standing water, and you would have gotten out of the throttle as soon as you felt that start to occur. Did you experience any other unusual sensations from the car that day?

Last edited by micahbones; 05-28-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You crashed your RS?!

I explicitly told you not to do that!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

glad you're oK. Missed you at Spring Mountain last month by a day. Hope to see you out there soon
Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
But I love(d) my Blue Gold!
Damn, huge bummer to say the least. Sorry to hear...

If it is a loss, I noticed a perfect track-spec blue/gold RS on Ebay the other day...only options appear to be lightweight headlights and PCCB...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WONT-...item1c12bba2b6
Old 05-28-2010, 02:40 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could this be another coolant leak?

Let's hope this doesn't become a common issue!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Ah man that is a real bummer but most importantly it's good to know you are ok. Most of all thanks for reminding us of what's what and just what is important. Keep your chin up.

Quick Reply: RS Crashed