Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

HPDE / track insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
My State Farm agent confirmed today that they DO NOT cover any kind of track day event. No ambiguity. No coverage.
My State Farm agent told that the coverage differs from state to state with Stae Farm and DE coverage is not the same across the USA. Hummmm......
Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
My State Farm agent told that the coverage differs from state to state with Stae Farm and DE coverage is not the same across the USA. Hummmm......
I have heard the same thing

the only way to be sure is get the policy in writing and see how it is worded
Old 02-16-2011, 11:52 AM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I have heard the same thing

the only way to be sure is get the policy in writing and see how it is worded
Exactly! Don't take your agent's word or even a letter they provide you saying that they will cover DE losses/claims. Unless they provide you with the policy wording showing that DE's are not excluded, don't believe you are covered.

I developed the PCA HPDE Insurance Program that I'm sure most of you have heard about. I have reviewed hundreds of policies for individuals whose agents have told them they are covered for DEs. We're in a tough economy right now and a lot of agents are giving bad advice in an effort to hang on to their business. If you ask if you are covered at DEs and they respond without checking with their claim adjusters and showing you the policy wording, don't believe the answer. Claim adjusters/representatives are the ones that will determine/interpret the intent of the policy when you have a claim; they don't care what your agent told you.

Unless you live in North Carolina (state Dept of Insurance has rejected policy forms that have track exclusions) or have specialty insurance, it is worth your time to review your policy and have your agent check with the claim adjusters to verify whether or not you have coverage for DEs.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lockton Affinity is supposed to release multiple event coverage for everyone (used to be only PCA events/members) any day now.

Edit- Multi event coverage application is now live on thier site.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
FLM911
Racer

Confirmed with my State Farm agent, who went back to the underwriter, that in NC coverage does extend to DE's. I went through the policy and it concurs with the feedback from the agent (ie. no exclusions for DE's or use on a race track etc).

I had a dedicated track policy last year, this year Im going with the regular auto policy based on feedback from the insurance firm as it pertains to NC.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 PM
rlips
Instructor

Here is how mine reads:

excludes "Any vehichle, located inside a facilit designed for racing, for the purpose of competing in or practicing or preparing for any prearranged or orginazed racing or speed contest."

I'm not an attorney, but the way I read this is that the exlusion would not apply to a DE as it is not a racing or speed contest. It would seem to men I am covered.

Anyone have any thoughts as to weather I am reading this correctly.

BTW, I bought seperate track insurance, but it seems I may not need it. I am hesitant to ask my agent directly though, don't want to raise any flags if I am wrong...

Best,

Ron
Old 02-16-2011, 03:34 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by rlips
Here is how mine reads:

excludes "Any vehichle, located inside a facilit designed for racing, for the purpose of competing in or practicing or preparing for any prearranged or orginazed racing or speed contest."

I'm not an attorney, but the way I read this is that the exlusion would not apply to a DE as it is not a racing or speed contest. It would seem to men I am covered.

Anyone have any thoughts as to weather I am reading this correctly.

BTW, I bought seperate track insurance, but it seems I may not need it. I am hesitant to ask my agent directly though, don't want to raise any flags if I am wrong...

Best,

Ron
Ron, you are NOT covered. And you want to be 100% upfront with your agent. Call them and explain your situation. If they say you are covered you need to get that in writing.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:53 PM
rlips
Instructor

Pete,

I have the dedicated DE insurance; as my feelings are even if there is a loophole, pushing my car at 9/10's on the track at a DE sort of violates the spirit of the agreement between me and the insurance company.

Yes, I know, that might be a quaint idea, but that's me.

However, I don't understand how that language excludes a DE, which is not racing or practice for racing/competition...at least in theory!

Best,

Ron
Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete,

I have the dedicated DE insurance; as my feelings are even if there is a loophole, pushing my car at 9/10's on the track at a DE sort of violates the spirit of the agreement between me and the insurance company.

However, I don't understand how that language excludes a DE, which is not racing or practice for racing/competition...at least in theory!

Best,

Ron
It's on the racing surface...
Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lockton Affinity is supposed to release multiple event coverage for everyone (used to be only PCA events/members) any day now.

Shows $971 for $150K, $651 for $100K. Coverage for a single event of up to 3 days. So basically doubles the daily fees on a three day event for a $100K car.

As ever, if the insurance for participating is a cost greater than all other costs combined, you know the insurer is making is A) making a killing and, 2: not sure of their actual risk. : )
Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Lockton now offers 6,9,12 and 15 EVENT prices. I just priced out my 2005 997S with a declared value of $48K with $6.5K of upgrades for 9 events + PCA discount; $1885. Not bad considering that this would be $320 per event otherwise.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Pete,

Best,

Ron
Ron- you are a wise and handsome man! Call your agent. If you are not NC resident you are OOL (out of luck).

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Shows $971 for $150K, $651 for $100K. Coverage for a single event of up to 3 days. So basically doubles the daily fees on a three day event for a $100K car.

As ever, if the insurance for participating is a cost greater than all other costs combined, you know the insurer is making is A) making a killing and, 2: not sure of their actual risk. : )
The full 15-pack event coverage pricing is compelling. Single event coverage a bit more of an challenge.

Me, I am just freaking happy I can insure my GT2RS for DE days

Come on in CarreraGT, the water is great!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

I have spoken to them recently on this as well. I am hoping their yearly package is a bit more favorable like the WSIB package was I had last year. Once you paid the initial $3K for a yearly policy it was VERY inexpensive to add on more events. Maybe this is why they do not offer it anymore.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

This certainly is a bit of money, but who else offers a DE track day policy out there that you KNOW FOR SURE that you have coverage?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ron- you are a wise and handsome man! Call your agent. If you are not NC resident you are OOL (out of luck).

The full 15-pack event coverage pricing is compelling. Single event coverage a bit more of an challenge.

Me, I am just freaking happy I can insure my GT2RS for DE days

Come on in CarreraGT, the water is great!
What's it cost for $150K and for $250K for 15 events?
And 15 events? That will barely get you through March.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by TAI2
Lockton now offers 6,9,12 and 15 EVENT prices. I just priced out my 2005 997S with a declared value of $48K with $6.5K of upgrades for 9 events + PCA discount; $1885. Not bad considering that this would be $320 per event otherwise.
Does it have to be street legal?

Quick Reply: HPDE / track insurance