Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:13 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
Had something similar happen a few years ago with a pair of new jet skis. I had them parked at my office while I was moving to a new house. Police came by & told the office personnel they would be stolen if left there. They were stolen a couple of days later.

Detective accused me of setting up the theft for insurance money. I told him I wanted an attorney and to leave. Next day I filed a complaint against him. He later stopped by to apologize.

Ha!
When the detective told me that I had to have done it and that it was only a matter of time before I went to jail, I told him, are you going to apologize when Im exonerated?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

The 997.2 GT3 looks awesome in yellow ....
Old 08-08-2009, 05:19 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
The 997.2 GT3 looks awesome in yellow ....
I cant believe it - the only good part of this story is that there are a ton of gt3's in socal, just none in SY.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe get another color Greg not so pick outable in the parking lot!!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:05 PM
aperalta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Ha!
When the detective told me that I had to have done it and that it was only a matter of time before I went to jail, I told him, are you going to apologize when Im exonerated?
.....and his response?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:30 PM
mental dental
Advanced

Crispen you say you have both keys for your stolen car. Are replacement keys available through anyone other than PCNA? Surely records of blank keys used should be available, and for which cars.

UK cars have tracking units fitted that mean even if you key is stolen and the car taken with it the tracking unit will be activated and an alert sent to various telephone numbers if a separate fob is not in the car.

Regretably I can see why the cops are giving you a hard time; I am sure some people are taking extreme measures to get out of loans/get insurance payouts; and if you confessed they've got an easy result. You need to keep the pressure on the police to start looking elsewhere. Presumably you can prove where you were, so there is no chance of your key being "borrowed" and "returned" after the torching?

Good luck, and hope your insurers don't add to your hassle.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Maybe get another color Greg not so pick outable in the parking lot!!
Would think this can work both ways - meaning if highly visible car is stolen, it would stick out more with thieves with general public.

Anyway, I feel any security system is basically to keep honest people honest. Not matter what security system the car can be dragged, and flat bedded away.

Crispenigl - wish you less stress through the very difficult process.

Last edited by amfp; 08-09-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:03 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://my.lojack.com/pages/owners-a...-key-pass.aspx

You can not stop a thief, but you can catch them if you are close.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
this thread is a spoof, right?

cars get stolen. get a new one. no whining needed

otherwise shakespeare can come back to haunt you: methinks thou protesteth too much
I will assume you have never had a car stolen. If you have, I will assume you were never 250 miles from home when it happened. I'm sure did not feel violated or inconvenienced by the whole process especially if you are concerned about a sick relative at the same time.

Greg has been a regular poster here in good times so I think he deserves a little bit of time and space to vent when times are tough.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:48 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mental dental
Crispen you say you have both keys for your stolen car. Are replacement keys available through anyone other than PCNA? Surely records of blank keys used should be available, and for which cars.

UK cars have tracking units fitted that mean even if you key is stolen and the car taken with it the tracking unit will be activated and an alert sent to various telephone numbers if a separate fob is not in the car.

Regretably I can see why the cops are giving you a hard time; I am sure some people are taking extreme measures to get out of loans/get insurance payouts; and if you confessed they've got an easy result. You need to keep the pressure on the police to start looking elsewhere. Presumably you can prove where you were, so there is no chance of your key being "borrowed" and "returned" after the torching?

Good luck, and hope your insurers don't add to your hassle.
It is going to cost me more to replace it than to have kept it though. A lot more. Financially, I can afford such a car and I was not in any economic duress.

When I got my 997.1 gt3, the residuals and interest rates were much much better than they are now PLUS the cost of the cars have gone up, its a triple whammy.

My monthly payments are going to be almost $800 a month more (granted for a new car) which I consider to be a lot.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Greg have you lawyered up and have they let you go home?
Old 08-09-2009, 03:01 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Greg have you lawyered up and have they let you go home?
Im home and my lawyer told me that it was all an effort to just try and make me quickly crack so that they can quickly close the case. I have no idea if I will hear more or not.

Their whole case centers around the 'fact' that a porsche cannot be stolen (and thus I must have been in on it.), and several people here have mentioned that it is possible so that sort of weakness that 'fact'.

I was out shopping/looking at 2010 gt3s. Feels very weird. I know this sounds crazy, but it feels like I am betraying my last gt3.. (Dont ask me to try and explain this...0 )
Old 08-09-2009, 03:17 PM
shine
Advanced

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Im home and my lawyer told me that it was all an effort to just try and make me quickly crack so that they can quickly close the case. I have no idea if I will hear more or not.

Their whole case centers around the 'fact' that a porsche cannot be stolen (and thus I must have been in on it.), and several people here have mentioned that it is possible so that sort of weakness that 'fact'.

I was out shopping/looking at 2010 gt3s. Feels very weird. I know this sounds crazy, but it feels like I am betraying my last gt3.. (Dont ask me to try and explain this...0 )
I can understand fully. I find purchasing a car is a state of mind. There is a certain amount of anticipation and excitement. You've been thrust from appreciating what you have to looking for something new. It's a totally different state of mind. It's understandable, especially after what you've been through.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:20 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://diamondkt.blogspot.com/2006/0...-lets-say.html

How To Steal an Anti Theft Car

The one below talks about how they do it and how police "use to" accuse owners because cars could not be
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...Z0504High-Tech Banditry
In place of a tow truck Kam uses a variety of high-tech tools like his netbook computer and a radio frequency scanner that pretty much give him unrestricted access to the car he is after.

Modern cars — and classic cars that are very valuable — are equipped with sophisticated alarms as well as radio-frequency identification kill systems that disable the fuel pump or the ignition system unless the correct key is sent to the onboard computer.

Equipped with a built-in RFID chip, the key talks to the car to negotiate a process that authorizes the engine to start. Using 40-bit encryption on newer models, and 32-bit encryption on older cars, the key literally sends a secret code to the hardware installed in the vehicle to inform it that it has permission to function. No code, no go. It is supposed to be as simple as that — but if it were that simple, there would be no hackers or car thieves, right?

When I interviewed him to prepare for this column, he asked me if it would be helpful to see a demonstration of his skills. For the purposes of the demonstration, the luxury car belonged to someone he knew and who gave him permission to "steal" it from the parking lot where he worked. I suspect that the car's owner was as curious as I was about how this worked and how long it takes.

We followed the target when he left his office to get lunch, pulling into the same Burger King, and actually stood in line to order our own meals. When we sat down to eat, it was in the booth next to the target.

As I munched on my onion rings, Kam pulled out his netbook, turned it on and ran a program that I could not see. He then closed the netbook and began eating.

"What? That's it?" I asked. Kam grinned at me.

When the target was safely back in his office, Kam pulled a device out of his sling bag and held it up, pressing a button on it. After what had to be less than a minute, I heard the distinctive beep-beep of the alarm disengaging on the car parked next to us — the wrong car, I should add — and then a few seconds later, the right one also beeped. Kam got out of his Jeep, opened the netbook and pushed a few keys, causing the doors to unlock on the car. He got behind the wheel, hit a few more keys and then started the car, putting it into gear and moving it to a parking spot in another row before getting out and reversing what he had done.

"How?" was all that I asked him.

"The program that I used has a library of decryption code that is progressive — every car I have ever done this to is part of that library," he explained. "When we were in the restaurant, I sent a code to the fob key behind me that convinced it that I was the car, asking it to authorize itself. The computer recorded its response. For older cars, that is all that is really necessary other than shutting down the alarm. Newer cars have more security features to the system, it changes each time the key is used, but the program that I use can compensate."

"And car thieves do this?" I ask.

"Indeed. When they first started to use this method to steal cars the insurance companies refused to pay because they believed that the RFID system was not hackable — they basically accused the owners of arranging the theft of their own cars," Kam said.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:22 PM
dtmarsh
Advanced

Originally Posted by watt
this thread is a spoof, right?

cars get stolen. get a new one. no whining needed

otherwise shakespeare can come back to haunt you: methinks thou protesteth too much
This means you're whining about whining.

Quick Reply: my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED