Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What's the Consensus upgraded Steel or PCCB for the Mk2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
If you plan on leaving the TC & SC on at the track the rear PCCB will not last
very long, this has been a problem on the new GT2's.
Totally agree the rear brake bias on the GT2/3 with TC "on" really beats up the rear brakes ...

I recall seeing a PSDS GT2 come in from a lap on the nordschliefe with blue smoke coming off of the rears due to TC operation ...
Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
Ceramics are a no brainer!

You can take them off and add steel, but the reverse is not a practical option.

If you don't like the ceramics, you can easily sell them to another Rennlister, and recover your money.

You'll get more on a trade-in with ceramics.

Oh, and they are lighter, much better to balance the car with.

Now, if you are always using the brakes to save yourself... well then they get expensive..... but an accomplished (or aspiring) driver's bias mitigates against over use of the brakes.. and the ceramics win (imo)!

Enjoy the journey!
I agree, I would order the PCCB's (and the GT2 seats) and if you dont like them swap out the rotors and box the others up ...
Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
Since the '10 GT3 wheels are now CL the "spare" set opens up a whole other can of worms.
10' owners may not be limited to CL wheels. Porsche is releasing a wheels set for upgrading earlier GT3s to CL. It comes with new hubs and hardware. Porsche is also releasing an optional spare wheel kit. This kit uses a 5- lug bolt spare. From the picture in the parts calalog, it appears that if you remove the CL wheel and use long 5-lug wheel bolts-on with a spacer to bolt on the spare. It appears from the parts catalog, that there are still 5 threaded holes on the hubs in addition to the CL.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I agree, I would order the PCCB's (and the GT2 seats) and if you dont like them swap out the rotors and box the others up ...
I would say yes on the seats and no on the brakes. Why? The seats are cheaper as an option than buying them as parts. New, the seats are $6800 a pair sold as parts. As the PCCBs are only a rotor upgrade and should be easy to find shortly used. Otherwise, if you buy them and switch out to metal rotors you lose $4-5K onn the used market selling them...plus the cost of the new rotors. To be honest, I heve never seen a single person upgrade to PCCBs on a car they already own, but at least half the people I know with GT3s switched to steel floating rotors. It really depends no how aggressive a pad you are going to run.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 06-24-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
10' owners may not be limited to CL wheels. Porsche is releasing a wheels set for upgrading earlier GT3s to CL. It comes with new hubs and hardware. Porsche is also releasing an optional spare wheel kit. This kit uses a 5- lug bolt spare. From the picture in the parts calalog, it appears that if you remove the CL wheel and use long 5-lug wheel bolts-on with a spacer to bolt on the spare. It appears from the parts catalog, that there are still 5 threaded holes on the hubs in addition to the CL.

...As the PCCBs are only a rotor upgrade and should be easy to find shortly used. Otherwise, if you buy them and switch out to metal rotors you lose $4-5K on the used market selling them...plus the cost of the new rotors. To be honest, I heve never seen a single person upgrade to PCCBs on a car they already own, but at least half the people I know with GT3s switched to steel floating rotors. It really depends no how aggressive a pad you are going to run.

Adding PCCBs is not simply a rotor upgrade. Entirely different wheel bearings are used in PCCB equipped cars, and brake balance has to be reset, among other things.

For street driving I have a data point. (And I'm not that easy on my brakes) I have worn off about .8 mm of brake pad from a 10.8mm thick PCCB pad. This is after 37,000 miles.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This kit uses a 5- lug bolt spare. From the picture in the parts calalog, it appears that if you remove the CL wheel and use long 5-lug wheel bolts-on with a spacer to bolt on the spare. It appears from the parts catalog, that there are still 5 threaded holes on the hubs in addition to the CL.
There does not appear that there are 5 threaded holes on the hub...only the wheel locaters.

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 AM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
There does not appear that there are 5 threaded holes on the hub...only the wheel locaters.
Hey MJones,

What do you know about the new PCCBs? Anything?

Thanks,

Flash
Old 06-24-2009, 01:28 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Adding PCCBs is not simply a rotor upgrade. Entirely different wheel bearings are used in PCCB equipped cars, and brake balance has to be reset, among other things.

For street driving I have a data point. (And I'm not that easy on my brakes) I have worn off about .8 mm of brake pad from a 10.8mm thick PCCB pad. This is after 37,000 miles.
Whether PCCBs are on a Carrera or a GT3, only the front hub carriers are different due to the different mounting location of the larger front diameter rotors and different calipers with PCCBs. The front hubs, rear hubs, wheel bearings and rear hub carriers are the same on PCCB and non-PCCB 997 (even GT3s). As the 10' GT3 has the same size rotors the PCCBs, the hub carriers should now also be the same.

You can research the differences in the Porsche parts catalogs here:

http://login.dealerskins.com/SiteSpe...rameset_en.htm
Old 06-24-2009, 01:37 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJones
Nice pic. I wonder if the wheel locators are threaded in a removeable? Note there are 5 of them and where they are located. The rotor has screws that attach it to the hub like previous models. Hmmm....
Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by flash1034
What do you know about the new PCCBs? Anything
Flash
• Aluminum brake disc center sections also on the rear axle
• New composite technology between the brake disc center section and ceramic brake disc
Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^

I think we are into the can of worms!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:58 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nice pic. I wonder if the wheel locators are threaded in a removeable? Note there are 5 of them and where they are located. The rotor has screws that attach it to the hub like previous models. Hmmm....
It is a can of worms!!!

CL appear to have a different hub in this pic

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:01 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

........To be honest, I heve never seen a single person upgrade to PCCBs on a car they already own......
That was my fundamental point! It is too expensive, but going from from PCCB to "Steel" is possible, and the costs can be mitigated.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 AM
kryten
Advanced

PCCBs fitted to Gen2 GT3 are apparently 'new' and different to ones fitted to Carrera/Turbo. They reckoned braking performance is a little better but the real advantage is reduction of weight which can (apparently) be felt in improved handling response and also comfort on uneven road surfaces
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
sws1
Pro

The weight is definitely noticeable. While I am unable to do a back to back swap on my car for obvious reasons, I did recently drive my car with stock wheels and then switched to the lighter Champion RS98s and did the same drive. I could absolutely feel it. It simply felt like I could feel more of the road. More nimble, I might say.

Does it handle better? Conceivably. If you appreciate the sensation of Porsche steering in the first place, lighter unsprung mass makes it that much more better. Steering feel now goes to 11.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

It seems like I am getting some support for my opinion on the ceramics over on this forum.

A brilliant thread:-

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...reuninger.html

'tis a lonely world for those of us who swear by them. A "cynic" might say he is just trying to sell Porsche parts, but he eschews other pricey options, so there is not a lot of validity to that viewpoint.

MJones how is the thinking evolving?

Quick Reply: What's the Consensus upgraded Steel or PCCB for the Mk2 GT3?