Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OMG - GT3 Preview at Silverstone this Wednesday. Get to meet God - Andreas Preuninger

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 PM
buttons123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG - GT3 Preview at Silverstone this Wednesday. Get to meet God - Andreas Preuninger

Just received this mail confirmation last week and I get to meet and question Andreas Preuninger about my new baby on order. Can't wait!

Dear Buttons123

We are delighted that you are able to join us for the 911 GT3 preview event at the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone on 24 June 2009.

Please arrive at the Centre at 08:30 for registration. The session will include various activities surrounding the new 911 GT3, such as a vehicle walk around with Andreas Preuninger and a technical briefing. The driving element will be in alternative models from the Porsche range on the Porsche test track. The event will finish at approximately 12:45, when you will have time to enjoy a three-course meal before heading home.

Yours sincerely

Victoria Smallridge

GT3 Preview Event Team

I will drive it, I will!!!!!!

Will let you know what it looks like and will get the full run down from Andreas.

ANY QUESTIONS NEED ANSWERING? LOL
Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes;

Will PDK be offered in the next generation; should we buy PCCBs or Steel, is the RMS fixed, will the RS be 4.0L & how much will it weigh, how much aftermarket can we use before voiding warranty, etc., etc., ......

I envy you! Please report back whatever you learn and your impressions!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:34 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This looks to be a Great event at Silverstone!
The Drivers Edge guys have it together

We await your write-up with pics and video.

Lucky Dog
Old 06-21-2009, 10:35 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Hey Buttons123, why don't you ask him when they will have a 4WD version for cruising through the Alps in June! You can tell him you were pissed that an Audi Quatro actually had a chance to pass you! LOL!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:43 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Buttons123,

Can you please ask about the centerlock wheels: What tools do we need to get them off? Supplied socket and ??? Porsche torque wrench (What is the part number? How BIG is it? Or any we expected to buy an aftermarket TQ wrench?).

Thanks for you help and have a great time!
Doug N.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:05 AM
buttons123
Instructor

Talking

Got my camera ready, listed questions and rearing to go.........

but

TDM....... ha ha ...... I know he'll tell me to buy a Cayenne Turbo and put Martini stripes on that!

dourgrhea........ I got that one on my own list.

MJones......... Thank you, pics and video if I'm allowed definitely

cello......... No (please), steel, yes, no, same and none......

Old 06-22-2009, 05:56 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Buttons123,

Congrats on the demo day and the pending gt3 purchase.... the fellas above have covered my questions too but : i) RMS-is it fixed ii) Diff- have they done anything to stop it frying clutch packs as quick as it does & iii) centrelocks- what comes with the car and what do we need to buy....

Best of luck...
Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 AM
buttons123
Instructor

Cool

Hi 911rox,

Your question numbers,

1. and 3. have already been covered and I promise if the opportunity arises I will asked Andreas, if he'll enter in that level of questions, which I hope he would!

2. Diff question. What issues have you have with and the clutch packs frying etc., I haven't experienced any but I also haven't had time to read any threads on this subject? Let me know!?

To the other gents questions:

As far as any aftermarket stuff being used or added, I probably will NOT ask that question because to me that is almost a common sense answer....... that being:

1. They would void the warranty if any aftermarket items were fitted whilst the vehicle was under warranty. I would.

and

2. Would you, yourself, really warranty something you had designed and tested over a period of time with a full support team lalalala etc if it had been modified, changed, altered, engineered differently and messed about with, even, if was for the better? JMHO

I think if any mods and changes are done, they are done during the warranty period at ones own risk.

Nothing wrong with any of them, at all. Lots of them are fantastic and enhance the car but I think, reasonably, why would Porsche honour these claims and like any type of insurance, every i must be dotted and every t crossed otherwise look out.

Will do my utmost best to extract all the information I can from these guys.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:53 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Buttons123,

I have a 3 on order myself and haven't had first hand experience, but many of the fellas tracking their cars on this forum are finding that the clutch packs are frying after 7-10k km and this is due to poor quality copper clutch plates which result in no lsd... a few threads over recent months. It seems that aftermarket diffs like the guard diff fix this problem but it probably shouldn't be an issue on a purpose built track/road vehicle in the first instance. I suppose the question would be whether anything has been done to increase the longevity of the diffs (clutch plates) in the latest gt3, especially with increase power/torque...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 AM
buttons123
Instructor

Hi 911rox

Thanks for the info. I will endeavor to ask the question, I guess that he''ll know almost straight away what I'll be referring to.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:36 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

This is the invitation only event? I'm currently in Wales (Swansea area), not too far from Silverstone and would like to check it out. Thanks.

Last edited by datax; 06-22-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As someone considering ordering a GT3 I'll be eagerly awaiting your impressions.

Quick question: will any of the cars be getting the dynamic engine mounts? I'm pretty certain of the spec, but unsure of this (the car will spend most of its life on the road)...

Also, fancy asking about the availability of Paint to Sample (I know they're usually a bit uppity about this in GT3s)...
Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM
buttons123
Instructor

Default PREVIEW

Hi datax

I'm only 15 miles away from you!

This event is by invitation only as a thank you for previous GT3 owners filing out questionnaire a while ago as feedback to Porsche Germany as far as I know.
Unfortunately, no guests or partners it's pretty exclusive otherwise you could have hitched a lift with me!!!

Paint to sample........ I'll ask but we never get the kind of problems as you guys get!! Sunroofs, rollbars, paint to sample..

Dynamic engine mounts? I know the option you're talking about
but do you mean is it going to be standard, optional or will the car on show have it fitted?

In the UK it will be offered as an option but it's not one I'll be ordering...... Ok I guess if you a hardcore tracker but if it's on the road most of the time it's waste of money. Great extra gadget though if money is not a problem
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Buttons - could you ask if there the dynamic mounts could be a dealer installed option? Those of us here in the US with early deliveries could not order them but I might press Porsche to add them to my car as a dealer install if that is possible.

Have fun!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:03 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by buttons123
Hi datax

I'm only 15 miles away from you!

This event is by invitation only as a thank you for previous GT3 owners filing out questionnaire a while ago as feedback to Porsche Germany as far as I know.
Unfortunately, no guests or partners it's pretty exclusive otherwise you could have hitched a lift with me!!!

Paint to sample........ I'll ask but we never get the kind of problems as you guys get!! Sunroofs, rollbars, paint to sample..

Dynamic engine mounts? I know the option you're talking about
but do you mean is it going to be standard, optional or will the car on show have it fitted?

In the UK it will be offered as an option but it's not one I'll be ordering...... Ok I guess if you a hardcore tracker but if it's on the road most of the time it's waste of money. Great extra gadget though if money is not a problem
Aww.. It's all good. Thanks. I'll be in Swansea area till Thursday, 25th and then back to London for few more days before heading back to states. Cheers!

Quick Reply: OMG - GT3 Preview at Silverstone this Wednesday. Get to meet God - Andreas Preuninger