Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What's the Consensus upgraded Steel or PCCB for the Mk2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:01 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ yes braking points are fine and all but the question really is do they make you/your car appreciably quicker. And would it be appreciably quicker against the improved steels. Hurley Haywood told me the steels were the way to go and how he would spec the car if his .. So informed opinions definitely differ. I have experienced them only in a Turbo: That experience does not translate to a GT3. I would love to drive the mkII w/ and w/o, back to back, but we know thats not happening .. Tough call w/o better real world info.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:24 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
^ yes braking points are fine and all but the question really is do they make you/your car appreciably quicker. And would it be appreciably quicker against the improved steels. Hurley Haywood told me the steels were the way to go and how he would spec the car if his .. So informed opinions definitely differ. I have experienced them only in a Turbo: That experience does not translate to a GT3. I would love to drive the mkII w/ and w/o, back to back, but we know thats not happening .. Tough call w/o better real world info.
Only way anyone can get first hand experience in comparing the two braking systems is to drive a full track session on each under similar conditions.

With respect to the longevity/cost factor of each system be smart enough to separate hearsay from actual experience and the judgement to assess such experience. Btw, Hurley Haywood and his crew also showcase PCCBs (and the '000s of track miles they log) on their cars down at PDE.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ Yep understood. Thats why your (and others running the PCCBs on track) posts/opinions count. What would really be helpful would be if someone experienced with PCCBs did a track session with the new steels (like you - can you arrange it & report ?? ). Hurley had nothing but good things to say of the PCCBs - his point was that the new steels mitigated the performance advantage the PCCBs had to a degree that the cost premium was no longer justified (paraphrasing of course). So he would have agreed with your (and others owning mkIs) decision to go PCCB. The question here tho is what to do going fwd in light of the new steels .. Off to dinner
Old 06-20-2009, 10:42 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Btw, Hurley Haywood and his crew also showcase PCCBs (and the '000s of track miles they log) on their cars down at PDE.
Only the Turbos have PCCB's now..
The Carrera S's have steel.
A cost reduction for PCNA
Old 06-21-2009, 12:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I dont think anybody who is involved in more then average track each season would ever consider running PCCB full time.
It would cost alot of money to keep the car in Pad and Discs...... the damn things are so sooo expensive to replace.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:26 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last track session I was at, there was 2 7GT3s (well 3, including mine, but I'm not counting that) with PCCBs. One of those cars was a dedicated track car. Both of which were on original rotors, and have driven north of 50 days each. Pads changed many times, and rotors have signs of wear, but still going strong.

The one 7Gt3 there without PCCB, was looking to put them on, since he had driven back to back and sawa the difference.

Just some anecdotes. YMMV
Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

If it is a street-driven car and you want cool brakes with no dust, spend the $9k and get PCCB

If you track the car, get the steel brakes. Save 9 grand for tires/wheels, etc and you will not have the worry of damaging rotors changing wheels, wear, etc. I don't know of anyone locally with PCCB who has NOT changed to steel for track work (4 GT3's and one guy who has 2 7-GT3's). Brakes are a wear item and PCCB are cost-prohibitive for track (esp if you are beginner and rely on the computer aids).

Oh, and PCCB do not stop any shorter than steel; check any of the magazine tests where they compare steel & PCCB (braking distance determined mainly by tires today)

WSH
Old 06-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you plan on leaving the TC & SC on at the track the rear PCCB will not last
very long, this has been a problem on the new GT2's.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new PCCBs are a different design than that ones on the current crop of cars including the GT2 so we dont know if this phenomenon will still exist.

Flash
Old 06-21-2009, 04:42 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, none one pays the cost of the rotors as a new option from Porsche on the used market. If you are lucky, you will get $1000 a rotor. Watch ebay as they show up frequently up there. New from Porsche parts, replacement rotors are only about $1500 a corner. So don't buy them expecting to get your money out of them if you don't like them.

With the 07-08 GT3, PCCBs not only gave you different rotors, but the fronts were also larger in diameter and had bigger/stiffer calipers. The PCCBs are also floating rotors versus the solid rotors in the non-PCCB. The real deciding factor for these years is the diameter of wheel you are planning on using and how aggressive of a brake pad you are planning on running. The 13.8" steel brakes would fit inside 18" wheels, while the 15" PCCBs needed 19" wheels. This obviously effects not just the cost of a spare set of wheels, but also the race tires that go on them. With brake pads, Porsche has only specced 3 different pads for PCCBs. If you want to run a much more aggressive pads, it can grove or even tear a PCCB rotors. If you check around, there are people who have destroyed a set of PCCBs in a single session with an aggressive pad. Hence why a lot of people just changed out to steel floating rotors.

The 10' model has some significant changes. First, it comes with larger 15" front rotors with larger calipers and floating rotors all the way around with the standard aluminum hat/iron rotor brakes. Now PCCBs is just a rotor material upgrade only. As I want the choice to run whatever brake pad I choose and there is little advantage for spending $8800 on PCCBs, I am skipping them on the order sheet for my 10' GT3. Spend the money instead on other options like Sport buckets (bigger weight drop than PCCBs), front lift kit (lower the end and still get a jack undernearth) and dynamic engine mounts.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 06-24-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
Since the '10 GT3 wheels are now CL the "spare" set opens up a whole other can of worms.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:56 AM
flash1034
Pro

From what I've read, the new PCCBs also have lighter aluminum alloy rotor hats on the 10s as well. In short, they are all new so it will be hard to compare the old versus the new PCCBs.

Flash

Last edited by flash1034; 06-22-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Colm brings up a good point about the PCCB<->steel swap but it seems like a chunk of change for the $8k PCCB + $?k on top of that for a set of steels.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The '10 GT3 Steel rotors are much larger - 15" in the front IIRC.

I personally think that PCCB's are fine if you rarely track your car or want less brake dust. If you track more often or are going to mainly use the GT3 as a DE fun car then I would definetly go with steel. They are a better ROI in the long run.

Ritesh - GT3 with PCCB's.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:15 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Just as a side note, brake rotors are made of cast iron, not steel.

Quick Reply: What's the Consensus upgraded Steel or PCCB for the Mk2 GT3?