Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What's the Consensus upgraded Steel or PCCB for the Mk2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

if i were ordering, i would get PCCB. (at over 100k sticker, the extra $$ for brakes dosnt really matter to me) I would use them for 5000 miles, box em up, and then switch to steel. I feel to have the option throughout ownership is nice.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:26 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

I almost didn't order PCCBs, but I'm glad I did -- the stopping power may not be shorter than that of steels, but the "feel" is unbelievable -- a noticeable difference over steels IMHO. I especially noticed the difference while out at PSDS, where we drove 911s with steels and PCCBs back-to-back. I would order PCCBs again. As to longevity, I recall speaking to one of the Supercup teams a couple of years ago (the Supercup cars run PCCBs) -- I was told that PCCBs easily last a full season and more.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
if i were ordering, i would get PCCB. (at over 100k sticker, the extra $$ for brakes dosnt really matter to me) I would use them for 5000 miles, box em up, and then switch to steel. I feel to have the option throughout ownership is nice.
me too! I have them on my '07 ...
Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no doubt that Andreas was complimentary about the PCCB's at the UK event this week, however he was also very complimentary about the upgraded Reds. He said if he could only have one option on his car it would be the PCCB's so there is no doubt which are his favourite.

I think most people would agree that they are better, the real debate however is if they offer value for money!? That said many porsche options dont represent value for money, so its all down to personal taste.

For me, whilst Im sure they are better I wouldnt personally get value for money of of them so I shall be sticking with the Reds. Cosmetically I also dont like all the clips which hold the disc to the hub on the new GT3 PCCB's.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,896 Likes on 976 Posts

If you do decide to go PCCB make sure to read and following proper bedding procedure as outlined in the Total 911 magazine 3-part series on PCCBs. It's a relatively involved process that for most will need to be performed on a track. I suspect lack of proper bedding procedure is a big contributing factor for those experiencing PCCB issues in the past.

http://www.total911.com/news/how-to-...eramic-brakes/
Old 07-05-2009, 04:46 AM
maximu5
Advanced

Location: Brussels, Belgium, 1 hour West of Spa, 2 hours West of the Ring ;-)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyC
I have ~ 50 track days on my OEM PCCB rotors. The last braking (2 days ago) was as good as the first braking over 2 years ago. Of course, I have gone thru about 6 sets of brake pads. Rotors still going strong. My track buddies with steels on the GT3's have to brake earlier...
Sure, if you compare 380 mm (front) PCCBs with 350 mm steels, the PCCBs brake harder. We should compare like with like. I have swapped my PCCBs for 380 mm steels (Alcon) discs and I see little advantage anymore in PCCBs other than weight
Old 07-05-2009, 08:49 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

I will definitly stay with with steels. Anything this debated for 9K is an answer in itself.

The 10' model has some significant changes. First, it comes with larger 15" front rotors with larger calipers and floating rotors all the way around with the standard aluminum hat/iron rotor brakes. Now PCCBs is just a rotor material upgrade only.
Will the '10 still fit 18" CL wheels if they are produced?
19" tires are limited and their cost is higher and without any track advantage...
Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
kryten
Advanced

Placed my order with steels. Just can't justify the extra cost of PCCBs, though I still have a couple of days to change my mind...
Old 07-06-2009, 06:57 PM
GlennMc
Racer

By all accounts the performance of the snew steels are pretty much equal to the ceramics, and lighter than previous steels...

The only problem is that you will still probably have to change them early, due to cracks coming from the holes again, you will probably go through at least 2 sets of steels to 1 set PCCB, that narrows the gap in cost difference in my opinion.

G.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:17 PM
kryten
Advanced

Cost of discs + pads replacement front and rear for steels is currently unknown on the new GT3 but was £2600 on the last 997. However, replacement cost of PCCBs all round, discs and pads is £14600!!!

But I'm still very tempted to chuck them on the order...
Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by kryten
Cost of discs + pads replacement front and rear for steels is currently unknown on the new GT3 but was £2600 on the last 997. However, replacement cost of PCCBs all round, discs and pads is £14600!!!

But I'm still very tempted to chuck them on the order...
couldnt you run the PCCB pads on the replacement steel discs? I believe
they are the same OEM part #?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:22 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree that PCCBs would be fantastic but I can't see the benefit for the price in my case (a few track sessions a year and plenty of street use) when its time to spec. I plan to go the reds and upgrade the rotors when they are shot (with slotted rotors- PF, Girodiscs)- cost heaps less than PCCBs and should outlast, out-brake standard steel rotors for a similar price with further weight advantage...

As for resale, who cares? Irrespective, we get reamed when its time to sell in any case... PCCB or no PCCB....
Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 AM
kryten
Advanced

Oh, I'm not bothered about resale (I ain't buying the car to sell it!). The problem is without being able to drive a steel vs PCCB GT3 I'm not sure whether I'll actually notice any difference.

The current suggestions seem to be that PCCB really isn't about braking peformance any more. Even the guys at the Silverstone preview said that its really about handling (and possibly comfort) because of the unsprung weight reduction, both in the caliper and the disk.

Has anyone driven Normal/PCCB back-to-back and really felt a difference?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:27 AM
kryten
Advanced

Or thinking about it, anyone who has started with PCCBs and then, when they wore out replaced with normal disks and regretted it because they were 'missing' something?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:59 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can certainly feel the weight difference. Just like you can feel the weight difference when putting on lighter wheels. Not day and night, but the car and steering feel more nimble.

Quick Reply: What's the Consensus upgraded Steel or PCCB for the Mk2 GT3?