Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Not always.
Someone not me got rms fixed with bypass pipe recently. Entire gt3 engine replaced. Present ur case to a technically sophisticated service advisor who will work for u. If the car cannot deal with simple open
Pipe mod, I don't know...... I certainly won't be buying another 130,00 Porsche.
I wasn't debating their comittment to 'goodwill' repairs under warranty.

I simply said that if you walk into a courtroom and try to convince a judge/jury that your knowledge of the effects of modifications on the vehicle is greater than theirs, you will lose, every day of the week.

Before Larry died, I was involved in a case with PCNA...quite an enlightening experience, to say the least.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I wasn't debating their comittment to 'goodwill' repairs under warranty.

I simply said that if you walk into a courtroom and try to convince a judge/jury that your knowledge of the effects of modifications on the vehicle is greater than theirs, you will lose, every day of the week.

Before Larry died, I was involved in a case with PCNA...quite an enlightening experience, to say the least.
got it, yea, there's something about law and the judicial system that i dont like nor understand.... thus i retain barristers to help me out.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:52 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by porsche52
Just spoke with the FTM involved with this case. I was informed that extensive testing has and or is being performed at Weissach in regards to exhaust backpressure and crankcase vacuume in relation to oil leaks on the GT3 powerplant. All the orders come from the TOP. Please understand I did not intend to undermind PCNA and or any of its employees regarding this issue. I have total confidence that PCNA will resolve this issue and take care of the customer. Ooops
i appreciate your help.
for the sake of this discussion, let's ASSUME that bypass CAUSES RMS blah blah... and the OP wont get covered (hypothetically).... what is the excuse for cars that do not have bypass and leaked? someone from the TOP said it's b/c it's not driven, someone at the TOP said it's tracked.... who is at the TOP? maybe he should come down and talk to us, no? it's lonely at the TOP.

i have had three 997gt3, one was a garage queen, barely driven over 5000 rpm (hard to fathom i know since i was driving it), one was driven like a demo without break in, i dont warm it up, key goes in, and i am backing out the garage at 4am, engage 1st, light up the driveway bounce off rev limiter, spill coffee all over the cabin and off i go to track after driving over the curb and ripping off my sideskirt in darkness, i use rev limiter as a way to tell me to upsift, and the third one tracked but not much. all three were serviced religiously, fluid dumped every 4-6 weeks.... guess what.. ALL THREE HAS HAD MULTIPLE RMS leak. (i am not screaming at you, just sort of frustrated). now if the guy at the TOP tells me flat out that these cars leak, and that's part of their charm, i will lick it all up and smile ear to ear. but dont make up conflicting answers LYING to me.

ok, off my soap box.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i know what you mean. i have one of the best FTM who served me well. i dont want him to be troubled. but this is just head ache
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To many 3 cars had a leak with OEM mufflers. I had a leak @1200 or so miles no mods at all. Repaired leaked again not bypass yet. I got the sharkwerks leaked the same as before the sharkwerks, so How does that mesh with the facts. How about all the seal replacements they they did on us that leaked in 300 miles. Come on!!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

got it, yea, there's something about law and the judicial system that i dont like nor understand.... thus i retain barristers to help me out.
On a side note, it is also difficult to get 'sympathy' from a judge/jury when arguing over an exotic car, like a Porsche.
The average jury member will find it difficult to relate or be sympathetic to your plight.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ltc
On a side note, it is also difficult to get 'sympathy' from a judge/jury when arguing over an exotic car, like a Porsche.
The average jury member will find it difficult to relate or be sympathetic to your plight.
i know. i was with my lawyer about a speeding tix, and nope.... it was a no go when judge saw the car on the tix.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
Why chance it ?

Sharkwerks exhaust costs $2k, doesnt provide any power increase and now is a warranty risk
Just not worth it
I have two Sharkey by-passes and zero RMS issues with >26K on the clock of my GT3 and, although significantly less on the RS; still not a drop....its just great sound and not a decrease back pressure....and if you have a problem (and if I develope one) I will just simply pop the stock system back on and present it in that mode.....what will they use to deny it then??

then again...knowning how I procrastinate; I will most likely drive it until it needs service and let them tell me it has a problem....no big deal
Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not always.
Someone not me got rms fixed with bypass pipe recently. Entire gt3 engine replaced. Present ur case to a technically sophisticated service advisor who will work for u. If the car cannot deal with simple open
Pipe mod, I don't know...... I certainly won't be buying another 130,00 Porsche.
I recently dealt with this same FTM and he is a jack ***.

likelihood that ill get another 911 is near 0

i love the car, but certain people around it are arrogant and rude. (actually the staff in the shop at the dealership are awesome, its just the agents who you directly interface with who are aholes.)
Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
(and if I develope one) I will just simply pop the stock system back on and present it in that mode.....what will they use to deny it then??
This post.......
Old 04-22-2009, 03:34 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- 4 OE rms, 2 with OE exhaust and 2 with sharkwerks all leaked
- TT seal with Sharkwerks no leak

- I don't care how "nice of a guy / knowledgeable guy" any Porsche company employee is, every single they have given to date:
- not driven enough
- improper install (4X including the factory?)
- track driven
- sharwerks exhaust
- special tool needed
- special tool and spacer needed
- technician must have touched seal with the unprotected hand
- etc

Every single one of these opinion (company lines) is a total in your face lie

Don't worry, there will be more upcoming excuses as these cars still have 2+ years warranty left

The real issue is already known - there is just no fix for it unless you put in a seal that truly seals - but this isn't the perfect fix it just happens to work

Paul
Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- 4 OE rms, 2 with OE exhaust and 2 with sharkwerks all leaked
- TT seal with Sharkwerks no leak

- I don't care how "nice of a guy / knowledgeable guy" any Porsche company employee is, every single they have given to date:
- not driven enough
- improper install (4X including the factory?)
- track driven
- sharwerks exhaust
- special tool needed
- special tool and spacer needed
- technician must have touched seal with the unprotected hand
- etc

Every single one of these opinion (company lines) is a total in your face lie

Don't worry, there will be more upcoming excuses as these cars still have 2+ years warranty left

The real issue is already known - there is just no fix for it unless you put in a seal that truly seals - but this isn't the perfect fix it just happens to work

Paul
So true Paul.. so true. Funny thing is (and I know all of us Rennlisters are muppets in Porsche's eyes LOL) but all 12 of the last GT3s we've installed a LWF on we've also installed that TT seal (that didn't used to leak on 996GT3s very often) and guess what? They don't leak Oh and 11 of the 12 also had an exhaust, a modified cup holder too:P It's so strange to think that they have history and relative proof on the same engine basically (996GT3) that the older seal (funnily enough a bit more expensive) has worked pretty darn well but they won't use it... Who knows maybe one of those infamous TSB's will show up saying "OK we're issuing a new seal etc...".
Old 04-22-2009, 04:15 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, off topic a bit, but I regret not getting the Sharkwerks center muffler the day it came out, I love it - Ty Alex
Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
BTW, off topic a bit, but I regret not getting the Sharkwerks center muffler the day it came out, I love it - Ty Alex
Hehe thanks and so glad you like it. You're one of us now
Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Note to self, do not buy cars off Mooty..

(joke)

...one was driven like a demo without break in, i dont warm it up, key goes in, and i am backing out the garage at 4am, engage 1st, light up the driveway bounce off rev limiter, spill coffee all over the cabin and off i go to track after driving over the curb and ripping off my sideskirt in darkness, i use rev limiter as a way to tell me to upsift, and the third one tracked but not much.

Quick Reply: RMS fix DENIED by dealer!