Another GTR love letter

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 AM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
The difference is the crowd buying it.

I drive my car extremely hard but I dont do things it wasnt meant to do.

LC is extremely hard on the transmission and I cannot imaging a mature driver doing LC at every traffic light.

I would be willing to bet that this owner abused the car. He clearly didnt follow the Nissan guidelines. The owner probably has no clue what he was doing and jacked it up.

Also, the GTR is a really heavy AWD car. LC is going to punish the transmission because of pure physics MORE than the gt2
Absolutely spot on.

If you launched a 997TT by holding 6000rpm and dumping the clutch 50 times, then there's a very strong change it will bust the gearbox. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mechanically ignorant. 4wd, sticky tires and dumped clutches = transmission or driveshaft failures.

The issue is that almost no-one who owns a TT or GT3 or GT2 will do proper drag-style launches. It's not necessary on a trackday and it's not the sort of behaviour that most owners will indulge in on the street. I tried LC once in my 997GT2 to see what it was like, but could not imagine using it again.

The owners of GTRs (I have one on order BTW) are however younger, more into street racing and have been sold the LC feature via YouTube videos etc. Some will try many launches and of those that do, some will break the gearbox. This is to be expected and is not a big deal IMHO as it is the owners fault.

By comparison, my 996GT2 started playing up when about 2 yrs old and had the entire transmission replaced by Porsche under warranty. At that stage they similarly would not rebuild them, just replace entire ones. That cost over £12,000 here in the UK, which is the equivalent of about $20,000.

Suddenly things don't look so different do they.

It's just such a shame that the attitude on here is as much Porsche fanboy from many as it is the otherway round from GTR owners on other forums.

Guy

(owner/ex-owner of 993RS, 996 GT2, 997GT2, GTR R32, R33 and R34)
Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 AM
hesperus
Racer

Hi Guy,

nice to hear from you again. Haven't been seeing you posting much on the UK GT-R board either... (i lurk around there a bit). When are you getting your GT-R?

a few friends of mine here in the Philippines have taken delivery of their (grey market) GT-R's, and are driving around gingerly in fear of something going wrong with their tranny's. No LC's going on over here, so it will be interesting to see how things hold up.

Just wondering, do you see yourself going the Ruf route again sometime in the future?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:13 AM
TripleM
Racer

When you buy Porsche, you pay high upfront for a good and peaceful long term use

When you buy GTR, you buy at a much lower price for a long term headache of ownership
Old 10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've often wondered why they put the LC on a GT2, the chassis/driveline just isn't setup to handle that kind of abuse. Back in the day, NHRA drag racing with modified production cars launching at 9000 RPM, you were constantly replacing spools and axles. I think it's a silly option on a 200k car that is more adept at roadracing than drag racing. But, I could see it on a GTR, given their target demographic.
This is another reason I would hesitate buying the new, unproven, 9A1/PDK car. I could see porsche pulling the same thing.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:02 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Great post.. can't agree more. The same thing happens w/ Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru STi, etc. When you drag launch a AWD car w/ sticky tires, it will be extremely hard on the drivetrain.

Whether it has a LC feature or not, though, it probably does not matter. As you can just as easily rev up the engine and dump the clutch. The result will be similar!

Originally Posted by GuyR
Absolutely spot on.

If you launched a 997TT by holding 6000rpm and dumping the clutch 50 times, then there's a very strong change it will bust the gearbox. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mechanically ignorant. 4wd, sticky tires and dumped clutches = transmission or driveshaft failures.

The issue is that almost no-one who owns a TT or GT3 or GT2 will do proper drag-style launches. It's not necessary on a trackday and it's not the sort of behaviour that most owners will indulge in on the street. I tried LC once in my 997GT2 to see what it was like, but could not imagine using it again.

The owners of GTRs (I have one on order BTW) are however younger, more into street racing and have been sold the LC feature via YouTube videos etc. Some will try many launches and of those that do, some will break the gearbox. This is to be expected and is not a big deal IMHO as it is the owners fault.

By comparison, my 996GT2 started playing up when about 2 yrs old and had the entire transmission replaced by Porsche under warranty. At that stage they similarly would not rebuild them, just replace entire ones. That cost over £12,000 here in the UK, which is the equivalent of about $20,000.

Suddenly things don't look so different do they.

It's just such a shame that the attitude on here is as much Porsche fanboy from many as it is the otherway round from GTR owners on other forums.

Guy

(owner/ex-owner of 993RS, 996 GT2, 997GT2, GTR R32, R33 and R34)
Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of reminds me when Porsche was voiding warranty on PCCBs if you tracked your car.....no body is perfect, but I'd be going legal on Nissan for sure.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:39 PM
GuyR
Racer

Originally Posted by hesperus
Hi Guy,

nice to hear from you again. Haven't been seeing you posting much on the UK GT-R board either... (i lurk around there a bit). When are you getting your GT-R?

a few friends of mine here in the Philippines have taken delivery of their (grey market) GT-R's, and are driving around gingerly in fear of something going wrong with their tranny's. No LC's going on over here, so it will be interesting to see how things hold up.

Just wondering, do you see yourself going the Ruf route again sometime in the future?
UK deliveries start March '09, mine is July '09, so only a few months behind. I was pretty annoyed with Nissan UK though, they would give me no priority in the queue even though I had owned an R32, R33 and R34 and had been the first Chairman of the UK GTR Owners Club.

As for Ruf, I totally respect their products, but doubt I'd go there again. Their upgrades are now matched in quality by many other firms for much cheaper prices. As for new cars, they have gone too up-market price-wise for my liking and offer too little extra for the cost now. For sure an RT12 is much faster than a 997TT, but it's 100%+ more expensive for performance that can rarely be utilised, since the 997TT is now so good as a basecar.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

but it's 100%+ more expensive for performance that can rarely be utilised, since the 997TT is now so good as a basecar.
thats the only thing I dont like about RUF, they have completely priced me out of any of their markets and I have had TWO GT3s. In fact I dont know anyone (well maybe a few here) that would buy a new Ruf Auto off the floor. I couldnt and even if I could it puts me into used CGT territory for almost any new RUF product.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:19 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Nissan is offering Porsche GT-R driving lessons after Porsche accused Nissan of cheating on the Ring time..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=133406

Old 10-10-2008, 02:18 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think Nissan has anything to say to a German car maker on its home track.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:10 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

---
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

I can't wait to see the response from Porsche on that one, perhaps they can spare one of their top drivers and Nissan can spare one of their top drivers and each company provides the car for the other to the other companies specifications to ensure that both cars are tested as production quality (because Nissan is so picky, Porsche says drive the 911 for 20k miles and then refill the oil so their side is easy)

Perhaps customers will see for themselves as well, I have yet to see one driven by a proper driver on a track so I can't even begin to compare it to my 3.

Maybe it is that good, but I do like the fact that Porsche is practically my free pit crew when it comes to anything that goes wrong with the car. The Cayman S has a severe oil starvation problem on one track local to me and a guy blew an engine, Porsche looked and it had not been hammered or over revved and gave him a new engine and a free loaner while they did it. All of this without having to sue them, the dealer was happy to do warranty work on PCNA's tab.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Come to think about it, an S2000 CR blew an engine at the same track because of oil starvation. Honda was happy to replace that engine as well.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

It is good to hear Honda and Porsche stand behind their products (at least in this case..)
Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I dont think Nissan has anything to say to a German car maker on its home track.
Well, Porsche did tell the world that Nissan is cheating, so it is only fair that Nissan responds..

But yeah, the gap seems to be so huge (25 seconds?!) that it makes you wonder what exactly is going on...

Would love to see a show down for sure! 911TT vs. GT-R, purchase from dealerships and straight to the Ring!

Quick Reply: Another GTR love letter