Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The GT-R truth getting abit more true

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:32 AM
dagor6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
the 335 is the biggest performance bargain that BMW has turned in quite some time. A chipped 335 turned a 12.8 1/4 at Hennessey's track at the Supra Nationals. That's Z8 performance for entry level pricing.
I absolutely couldn't give a damn less about drag racing, but the more experienced guys have turned 11.9's on the stock runflats. And 12.3's are pretty standard now.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:17 PM
gete3
Instructor

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=WLdaLV66XOc

The 7.29 video of the GTR at the Ring
Old 06-02-2008, 02:14 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dagor6
I have a 335 as a daily driver, it's much better than the M3 for this purpose because the engine is fun without you having to kick the crap out of it and if you want to chip it, it makes 350 rwhp, more with a pipe and an intake.

The traction control is also top notch, put it in intermediate mode and slam on the gas and spin the wheel anywhere you want. It skids but stays in control, an absolute ton of fun and very safe.

That being said, that's what I see the GT-R for, it's 65K base or something? Same as an M3? All the electronic nannies are like the 335 but probably much better. To me it's just a daily driver that you get to slam on the gas with and yank the wheel whenever you feel like it without committing.
I love winding up the motor in the M3. I don't need to do it all the time and once in a while I get my fix. And the rest of the time the car is still much faster than necessary.

There is one piece always missing on the 335 or any non M BMW. An LSD. I am sorry but spinning the inside rear wheel on corner exit is just not cool. Leaving two parallel black stripes is cool. And real LSD absolutely kills any sort of electronic traction control crutch.

Also any rain or snow and I am in rally driver impersonation mode. Well, mostly in snow as that is a lot safer (much slower). The GT-R would be pretty useless for that. It will drive very safely in snow but with the AWD it is just too fast for any harmless fun.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
There is one piece always missing on the 335 or any non M BMW. An LSD. I am sorry but spinning the inside rear wheel on corner exit is just not cool. Leaving two parallel black stripes is cool.
Absolutely right. And it amazes me Porsche still produces cars with LSD either optional or unavailable. Should be standard equipment in any decent sports car.

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-02-2008, 02:48 PM
dagor6
Advanced

The fast guys add in the Quaife LSD for cheap. Personally I think it defeats the fun. It's the kind've car that wasn't meant to go fast, it's like some sort of derby driving it on the street fast.

Same thing, everyone hates the runflats, but I don't care, they just squeal a lot and the car fishtails all over the place. Adds a little fun on the way to the grocery store.

So, I guess that's where I was headed with the GT-R, it's probably that kind've car.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 PM
gete3
Instructor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBZ5i...eature=related

The official 7.29 video with soundtrack. Very impressive car and driver.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:03 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

1800 mile fluid change intervals...

Old 06-05-2008, 02:45 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

10,000km normal drive seems pretty normal to me.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Seems reasonable to me. A bit cute with their Engrish but that's kinda cool in a car like that. I'd like some r's instead of l's in a couple places, too.

If you track the car 3,000 track km fluid changes are not out the question. That's what I do. I don't change the diff fluid as often but still at least every 6,000 track km. Maybe I should increase the frequency, although I don't have as much torque as a GT-R so I might still be ok.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
am722
Drifting

Top Gear loves it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chvwQ96beyQ.

Beat the CGT around their track (tied the Scuderia).
Old 07-20-2008, 07:02 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dagor6
I have a 335 as a daily driver, it's much better than the M3 for this purpose because the engine is fun without you having to kick the crap out of it and if you want to chip it, it makes 350 rwhp, more with a pipe and an intake.

The traction control is also top notch, put it in intermediate mode and slam on the gas and spin the wheel anywhere you want. It skids but stays in control, an absolute ton of fun and very safe.

That being said, that's what I see the GT-R for, it's 65K base or something? Same as an M3? All the electronic nannies are like the 335 but probably much better. To me it's just a daily driver that you get to slam on the gas with and yank the wheel whenever you feel like it without committing.
Sorry but as a previous 335i and now M3 owner I'm going to totally disagree with you.

I don't know why people think all one need do is near match HP and suddenly they're about equal.

The M3 is superior to the 335i in just about any relevant category. Not that the 335i is bad, it's not. But the M3 is better

As far as comparing it to a 997TT (which I've also owned), well in some ways it's a stretch, certainly in power categories. But street driving, really the way I hope most here drive daily the M3 is more roomy, comfortable, smoother with a more useful, fun power delivery. True the TT will kick its butt at WOT, but how often are most of us up there?

Either way, you have a great car. But I'm thinking GT3 again...

Oh, my GT-R? After re re re consideration, I'm going to sell it for $15K over to a firm offer and fuggittabbouttit. I don't trust Nissan to make a BMW or Porsche-comparable car.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:34 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by am722
Top Gear loves it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chvwQ96beyQ.

Beat the CGT around their track (tied the Scuderia).
Yes. But none have been delivered to the UK. So, he gets a famous "press car" which Roundel swears is juiced (so do others). You think they just plucked one off the line for his run at Fuji? Twisted his neck alright, as if.

Truth is, once the mags have been getting more run of the mill cars the times have trended upwards...

Used to be 1/4's in the 11's and trap in the 120's. Now mid to high 12's and traps in the teens. Hmmmm...
Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

i honestly thought topgear was going to expose the fraud of the gtr for all to see...

its faster than a cgt!!!! jc admitted he was prepared to say it was like driving a video game but no - it feels completely analog and mechanical.

i love my gt3 but if i had to do it over its gtr for every day and track days with an xke for weekends. i surrender
Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

The sound from the tires was not what you'd want to hear from a track car.
The massive understeer tire skipping sound was in every corner.
I'd like to see what happens when it can get an alignment and r-comp tires. Because from the sound of it if the car is driven hard the stock tires will last just one day after which the outer edges will be corded.

Still, very impressive.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
I love winding up the motor in the M3. I don't need to do it all the time and once in a while I get my fix. And the rest of the time the car is still much faster than necessary.

There is one piece always missing on the 335 or any non M BMW. An LSD. I am sorry but spinning the inside rear wheel on corner exit is just not cool. Leaving two parallel black stripes is cool. And real LSD absolutely kills any sort of electronic traction control crutch.

Also any rain or snow and I am in rally driver impersonation mode. Well, mostly in snow as that is a lot safer (much slower). The GT-R would be pretty useless for that. It will drive very safely in snow but with the AWD it is just too fast for any harmless fun.
Disagree on LSD. Lotus still recommends against an LSD in their cars, although they do offer it as an option due to some demand. The cars were designed and are faster without the LSD. In fact, the 211 (one of the badest cars on the planet, if you can call it a car) does NOT come with an LSD and I believe it is NOT an option. Lotus knows what they are doing and I trust them. They did say say though that if you are going to opt for the LSD, then definetely ONLY do it if you do more autoX then tracking. For a course with a bunch of tight little turns it is not bad, bur for a real track, it WILL be slower.

As for the 335i, it is not bad at all, but there is a better turbo BMW out there right now. It is called the 135i and it will kick the crap out of the 335i and is MUCH more of a driver's car. The reduction in weight of at least 200 lbs with the same power turn it into a totally differnt car. I have driven both extensively, and there is no comparison in my book.

As for the new fat as ever M3, just another fat boy car that the manufacturer can shove up their @$$. They add another 200 lbs as they did with the E46 over the E36 and but in a V8 to make up for it (and yes I know the V8 weighs less, but the enire car does not). I am sick and tired of these every increasingly heavier cars.

The 135i is refreshing and I like its looks better than the 335i also just because it is smaller and says: "I will impress you, unless of course you are a poseur." If they bring the lightweight tii version to production and to the US, I will pick one up for myself.

Light is right, light is right. Down with the overweight cars, they must be destoryed forever.

As for the GTR, I hope it kicks the Turbo's butt since I hate the new turbo. Again, heavy fat pig and it has girly man controls and feels like a Buick; drives like one too. Big disappointment. And yes I know the GTR weighs even more which also puts it on my **** list. But I don't mind if it makes the turbo look bad since Porsche deserves it for turning the turbo into what it is today. It could be so much more like the GT3 but with a little extra weight for the AWD.

Actually, the GT3 is too heavy also. The turbo should have the suspension and brakes and weight of a regular GT3 with AWD. Then, the regular GT3 should be no more than 3,000 lbs with about the set-up of the 997 RS including the lack of sunroof, but a few other weight savings measures to help them achieve this. Then, the RS should take all of that a step further and real nip on the heals of a Cup car and definetely come in below 2,900 lbs. That is how it should be. The GT2 can stay how it is except maybe lose another 100 lbs.

I'm not asking for 500 to 600 lbs of weight loss, but closer to 200 to 300 lbs. And the RS really needs to show this and make it a real RS.

I love the RS, but it is just too close to the regular GT3. If they have to make the base price $24K higher to achieve this, so be it. $149K base and do it right for god's sake. And if the greedy dealers would not ruin it for the true enthusiasts who are not made of money then the "Porsche World" would be right.

Quick Reply: The GT-R truth getting abit more true