Blowing the phone over was the icing on the cake 😂
lol that vid was awesome
The following users liked this post:
jreifler (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 12:13 PM
arkaid
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the pumpkin! Looking forward to hearing more comparisons as you get acquainted with it more vs. the .2 non-RS.

Is that RSA the midnight one Sloan had? That car looked awesome if so - super nice example with great upgrades
jreifler (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 09:48 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,064 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
I had a few RSA's over the years. The last one I had was white, no sunroof example and was setup on RSR suspension. The car was set-up for a wealthy country western singer so he could track the car on a closed to the public track in So Cal. That car was off the hook great. Suspension can make all the difference. Is your's midnight Blue? The RSA and the Pumpkin are perfect complimentary cars for a 2 P-car car stable. Best of all worlds.
Originally Posted by arkaid
Congrats on the pumpkin! Looking forward to hearing more comparisons as you get acquainted with it more vs. the .2 non-RS.

Is that RSA the midnight one Sloan had? That car looked awesome if so - super nice example with great upgrades
It is the Sloan car. Brett was great to deal with. I hunted a midnight blue RSA for about a year before I found it. Non-sunroof, LSD, AC car. It’s wonderful. Barely driven since ~ 2017 as part of a collection in CT. Had a top end rebuild back then, and only ~2k miles since. I’ve refreshed just about everything you can, added KW V3s, Elephant Racing everything, and tinkered with the exhaust. It’s such a treat for the senses. A great complement to the 7GT cars, and so much fun to drive back to back for perspective and appreciation of the evolution of the platform. Lots of similarities.
arkaid (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 11:39 AM
jason95R
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
It is the Sloan car. Brett was great to deal with. I hunted a midnight blue RSA for about a year before I found it. Non-sunroof, LSD, AC car. It’s wonderful. Barely driven since ~ 2017 as part of a collection in CT. Had a top end rebuild back then, and only ~2k miles since. I’ve refreshed just about everything you can, added KW V3s, Elephant Racing everything, and tinkered with the exhaust. It’s such a treat for the senses. A great complement to the 7GT cars, and so much fun to drive back to back for perspective and appreciation of the evolution of the platform. Lots of similarities.
My dad bought his first 911 from Sloan. They are fairly local to us and were great to deal with. This was back in 2007 or 2008. He bought it from Richard Sloan before he sadly passed away. Great to see Brett following in his dad's footsteps. And the cars they get are nothing short of amazing.
jreifler (01-03-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 08:48 AM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
I was skeptical but I do have dyno results before and after run by Jimmy Repasi as he installed the kit. If you are not familiar with his shop you can easily look him up. The final resulting increase was north of 70hp at the wheels on the same dyno. I cannot properly convey the performance difference, it is VERY noticeable. I will dig through the file i received which included the dyno results as well as video of the car being dynoed before and after install and i will post the pics of the dyno results.
Would love to see dyno results. Thank you
Brian Himmelman (01-04-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 09:45 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Akra install follow up. Really pleased overall. It seems to lack some of that factory howl that I only remembered after driving this car with it stock + center delete. But I suspect it will change in tone over time, as most new exhausts do. Fit and finish is silly good, as it should be for the cost. This was one of the discontinued full Evolution systems that Repasi has / had, so it was roughly half the cost of new.

I did encounter a snag, which was that this system is for a .2, and I didn’t realize there was a material difference to the .1. The issue is that the side muffler brackets are subtly different between .1 and .2. Not a huge change, but enough for them not to mount properly on my car. Not a major issue, as I actually intended to run this without the side mufflers anyway. I’d watched enough videos to know the full system with side mufflers was quieter than what I wanted.

So I omitted the side mufflers and had some removable 2 1/8” muffler “caps” welded up to seal the side muffler outlets from the rear link pipe section. That plus blocking plates for the center muffler make this effectively Akra’s “Race” version of this exhaust: https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/product/791/Porsche/911-GT3-RS-997-FL-38/2012?brandId=15&modelId=19&yearId=61. Repasi is helping me source the proper brackets so I can run the full system if ever needed, or if I ever sell to someone else with a .1 who wants the full system.

I unplugged PSE after like 2 blocks. I hate the binary 4k on/off sound and feel, and with the valves closed on this system, it might as well be a Camry. Valves open, it’s not as loud as some combinations I’ve run, but sounds fantastic at WOT, and no drone at all. Power gains? Maybe. Probably nowhere near as significant as dropping 60 pounds. I long ago gave up on the notion that exhaust mods are for power. This guy actually dyno’d this steup properly, so I’ll assume I got the same gains. Or not. Whatever. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ml#post7022940

Pics and quick videos:

Edit - Just realized this is post #997. Sublime. Synchronicity.

Last edited by jreifler; 01-05-2024 at 09:56 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by jreifler:
arkaid (05-06-2024), Elliotw44 (01-06-2024), flat6fan18 (01-05-2024), moe01325 (01-06-2024), RAudi Driver (01-07-2024), widers911 (01-06-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:33 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 101 Posts

Akra install follow up. Really pleased overall. It seems to lack some of that factory howl that I only remembered after driving this car with it stock + center delete. But I suspect it will change in tone over time, as most new exhausts do. Fit and finish is silly good, as it should be for the cost. This was one of the discontinued full Evolution systems that Repasi has / had, so it was roughly half the cost of new.

I did encounter a snag, which was that this system is for a .2, and I didn’t realize there was a material difference to the .1. The issue is that the side muffler brackets are subtly different between .1 and .2. Not a huge change, but enough for them not to mount properly on my car. Not a major issue, as I actually intended to run this without the side mufflers anyway. I’d watched enough videos to know the full system with side mufflers was quieter than what I wanted.

So I omitted the side mufflers and had some removable 2 1/8” muffler “caps” welded up to seal the side muffler outlets from the rear link pipe section. That plus blocking plates for the center muffler make this effectively Akra’s “Race” version of this exhaust: https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/product/791/Porsche/911-GT3-RS-997-FL-38/2012?brandId=15&modelId=19&yearId=61. Repasi is helping me source the proper brackets so I can run the full system if ever needed, or if I ever sell to someone else with a .1 who wants the full system.

I unplugged PSE after like 2 blocks. I hate the binary 4k on/off sound and feel, and with the valves closed on this system, it might as well be a Camry. Valves open, it’s not as loud as some combinations I’ve run, but sounds fantastic at WOT, and no drone at all. Power gains? Maybe. Probably nowhere near as significant as dropping 60 pounds. I long ago gave up on the notion that exhaust mods are for power. This guy actually dyno’d this steup properly, so I’ll assume I got the same gains. Or not. Whatever. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ml#post7022940

Pics and quick videos:

https://youtu.be/n6whdKhMEUo?si=ph6nONYulN9BF6Fu

https://youtu.be/DHlQZMiVvc4?si=uup_HdIf0mYG9qRP

https://youtu.be/S1e_vAfWL-o?si=UrYMqJxWHpyZsSW8

Oof so you hit the same problem you helped me solve on my car 😅. Looks the business though!
Old 01-05-2024, 11:40 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
Oof so you hit the same problem you helped me solve on my car 😅. Looks the business though!
Lol. Yeah. That irony was not lost on me. I don’t think my seller of the Akra exhaust realized there was a difference. I should have confirmed, but similarly didn’t know there was a difference myself …
Old 01-06-2024, 12:52 AM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 422 Posts

Pics and quick videos:
Spoiler

I recently purchased cargraphic valve control to give me more control of the valves and to remedy the 4k on/off when desired. It's cheap and easy to install. Something to consider.
Brian Himmelman (01-15-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 01:10 AM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 101 Posts

Lol. Yeah. That irony was not lost on me. I don’t think my seller of the Akra exhaust realized there was a difference. I should have confirmed, but similarly didn’t know there was a difference myself …
Am I right in assuming the brackets are a different style of mount than the stock side mufflers? If so I’ll probably need to keep that in mind when I move on from the sharkwerks unit I currently have.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:28 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliotw44
I recently purchased cargraphic valve control to give me more control of the valves and to remedy the 4k on/off when desired. It's cheap and easy to install. Something to consider.
Hi Elliot - glad to see someone get the Cargraphic unit. Was actually looking at it the other day. Any reason you went that direction vs Valvetronic? Valvetronic doesn't have the external box, so it looks a bit cleaner. Cargraphic seems similar to the Carnewal unit. I don't think Valvetronic remembers your last setting which is the main downside.

Valvetronic: https://valvetronic.com/products/por...lve-controller
Carnewal: https://www.carnewal.com/products/99...PSE-Controller
Old 01-06-2024, 11:48 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
Am I right in assuming the brackets are a different style of mount than the stock side mufflers? If so I’ll probably need to keep that in mind when I move on from the sharkwerks unit I currently have.
They both have the same basic shape, size, and hinge mechanism. I think it’s that the orientation of the bracket / mounting surface is slightly different from .1 to .2. Hard to say exactly how without comparing 2 cars side by side, but .1 has a larger, flat mounting surface with 3 bolts, while .2 has a smaller surface with 2 bolts, and they’re at different heights and angles relative to the side mufflers themselves.
SR20Fastback (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 01:20 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Hi Elliot - glad to see someone get the Cargraphic unit. Was actually looking at it the other day. Any reason you went that direction vs Valvetronic? Valvetronic doesn't have the external box, so it looks a bit cleaner. Cargraphic seems similar to the Carnewal unit. I don't think Valvetronic remembers your last setting which is the main downside.

Valvetronic: https://valvetronic.com/products/por...lve-controller
Carnewal: https://www.carnewal.com/products/99...PSE-Controller
These products are all farily similar in design. Generally should function the same.
I purchased Cargraphic for the following reasons
  1. Enclosed unit is likely more reliable
  2. I like supporting companies that offer a large catalog for 997s
  3. Aesthetically it looks a bit better than the other two, both remotes and box.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:45 PM
CylinderHead
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They both have the same basic shape, size, and hinge mechanism. I think it’s that the orientation of the bracket / mounting surface is slightly different from .1 to .2. Hard to say exactly how without comparing 2 cars side by side, but .1 has a larger, flat mounting surface with 3 bolts, while .2 has a smaller surface with 2 bolts, and they’re at different heights and angles relative to the side mufflers themselves.
are you getting a CEL with the new AKra setup?
Old 01-06-2024, 07:53 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CylinderHead
are you getting a CEL with the new AKra setup?
Nope. All is well. First system I’ve ever had where it hasn’t been a problem. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GT car today!