Sponsored by:

Damned AC buttons-- a fix???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:09 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Go to car-part.com and buy the whole replacement. Ask for a pic and try to get 2008 model year cayman, Boxster. Switched to all black non rubber coating, nothing to peel off.

My total cost was $150 or so shipped.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 AM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The picture in post #77 pretty much tells the story for me. The original button is far more refined if you ignore the pealing rubberized coating. The new part is IMHO not even close in quality and the finish is embarrassingly bad.

If your going to the trouble of pulling the buttons out why not remove the coating completely and re-coat with a semi gloss or satin black lacquer? I did this with the plastic kick trim at the base of the door opening on the drivers side recently and it turned out better than the factory finish. Lacquer dries quick and flows out like glass. Worrying about the indicator symbols seems a bit lame as well. If you can't remember which is which you've got bigger problems. Just sayin....
Old 02-28-2017, 08:08 PM
mikeson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about that thing but my previous owner changed it on my car.

It looks something placed(bonding or glue)over the button but it looks a lot cleaner than you guys.
Again, I have no idea but you guys should do more research.
Look mine.
Attached Images   
Old 02-28-2017, 09:19 PM
renncayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Grant L
It's really interesting how wildly different the views are on the quality of these switches. I wonder if the production variance that wide or if it's just a question of how each person views the expected quality relative to their own standards. Mine shipped recently and I'll make sure to post some high quality macro shots of the switches either way.
I just noticed something, people who post positive feedback installed the buttons, people who is not happy posted pictures out of the box.. interesting. I guess you need to install them first to give them a try
Old 02-28-2017, 10:39 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by renncayman
I just noticed something, people who post positive feedback installed the buttons, people who is not happy posted pictures out of the box.. interesting. I guess you need to install them first to give them a try
I guarantee you that if I took a **** in my car it would look better than if I took a **** in my toilet. But it's still **** in my car.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:09 AM
renncayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by cosm3os
I guarantee you that if I took a **** in my car it would look better than if I took a **** in my toilet. But it's still **** in my car.
See, to me the **** would look better in the toilet, because that's where it's meant to be. Something similar happens with this switches, if you look at them once installed, from a regular distance, they look OK (that's how they are meant to be), if you take high def close ups, you will probably see a lot of bad details, but I can't think of a single situation where my eyes are going to be that close from the buttons inside my car LOL. When I placed the order on their website, I saw the full size pictures they post, and I could get the idea of what I was going to get, so I'm happy with the results. If I were expecting a 100% replica of the original buttons, I would have been disappointed, but they don't advertise that.

cheers!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by renncayman
See, to me the **** would look better in the toilet, because that's where it's meant to be. Something similar happens with this switches, if you look at them once installed, from a regular distance, they look OK (that's how they are meant to be), if you take high def close ups, you will probably see a lot of bad details, but I can't think of a single situation where my eyes are going to be that close from the buttons inside my car LOL. When I placed the order on their website, I saw the full size pictures they post, and I could get the idea of what I was going to get, so I'm happy with the results. If I were expecting a 100% replica of the original buttons, I would have been disappointed, but they don't advertise that.

cheers!
Ok. You keep squinting in bad light to justify your position. I want the people who really care about what they do to their car to know what they are getting into.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Rengoku
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say their website was quite misleading if you ask me. Their promo photo (Above) never showed any weird 3d printing grooves all over the switch, the finish looked smooth. However, their instructional video (Below) which was only uploaded recently shows what the finish truly looks like.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:02 AM
911PCarFun
Instructor

this is not good. when the website says "With a factory like matt black finish..." I would think you would get something that looks as good as 'like new' factory switches. When I get mine I will install but I will also be working to refinish my factory ones
Old 03-01-2017, 11:46 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Bit unfortunate. Didn't read whole thread but I'm guessing these are 3D printed?

They don't look good imho.

I have to say even their promo pic looks bad. You can see the irregularities in the finish in the one in the box and grain in the one in the foreground.

Well, benefit of this thread is to warn people of what they will actually get.

Also, I will say that if this is a slightly cheaper solution, it may not help if or when someone is reselling the car. Cutting costs on an item like this (which will be noticeable to at least some buyers and definitely to the ones who look closely) may cause people to wonder what other costs were cut...
Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rengoku

I have to say their website was quite misleading if you ask me. Their promo photo (Above) never showed any weird 3d printing grooves all over the switch, the finish looked smooth. However, their instructional video (Below) which was only uploaded recently shows what the finish truly looks like.
​​​​​​
Ya they look a lot better installed! 😏
Old 03-01-2017, 01:11 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

I have to say, mine look GREAT in the car. Much better than OEM, because they were peeling! When you take a high-res picture close up (like I posted before), it doesn't look as good. But I am a very happy customer-- an huge annoyance is gone.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:34 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ric-ko
I have to say, mine look GREAT in the car. Much better than OEM, because they were peeling! When you take a high-res picture close up (like I posted before), it doesn't look as good. But I am a very happy customer-- an huge annoyance is gone.
Ric-ko, putting aside whether you are happy with the product, would you agree that my photos accurately show the quality of the finished product?
Old 03-01-2017, 08:54 PM
CHF3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Bit unfortunate. Didn't read whole thread but I'm guessing these are 3D printed?

They don't look good imho.

I have to say even their promo pic looks bad. You can see the irregularities in the finish in the one in the box and grain in the one in the foreground.

Well, benefit of this thread is to warn people of what they will actually get.

Also, I will say that if this is a slightly cheaper solution, it may not help if or when someone is reselling the car. Cutting costs on an item like this (which will be noticeable to at least some buyers and definitely to the ones who look closely) may cause people to wonder what other costs were cut...
i think most folks acknowledge that Porsche cut costs with these buttons, leaving consumers to deal with the remedy. An unsightly peeling "authentic" A/C button doesn't present the car in the best light either.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:53 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Default my buttons

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Ric-ko, putting aside whether you are happy with the product, would you agree that my photos accurately show the quality of the finished product?
Yours look a little rougher than mine.... BUT-- you can look at the pictures I posted-- up close and in high resolution it is rougher. From the driver's seat it is a vast improvement from my messed up buttons.

VERY glad I did it-- the buttons drove me nuts every time I got into the car. Now I do not notice them at all.

Quick Reply: Damned AC buttons-- a fix???