Damned AC buttons-- a fix??? - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damned AC buttons-- a fix???

Old 02-07-2017, 01:25 PM
  #46  
jeffm
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jeffm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 281
Default

Those are the new ones????

Not sure if it's the picture, but they look a little chewed up and not a very consistent finish. Can you confirm?

Originally Posted by renncayman View Post
Got them got them got them!

Installation took a bit longer than expected, about 40 min.. worth every second invested, I couldn't be happier with the results




Porsche Climarepair.com replacement switches
jeffm is offline  
Old 02-07-2017, 02:36 PM
  #47  
Ni_Mo
User
 
Ni_Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 299
Default

Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Those are the new ones????

Not sure if it's the picture, but they look a little chewed up and not a very consistent finish. Can you confirm?
Agree they don't look like a very good finish at all! This is how my current ones look.
Ni_Mo is offline  
Old 02-07-2017, 03:46 PM
  #48  
renncayman
User
 
renncayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 124
Default

Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Those are the new ones????

Not sure if it's the picture, but they look a little chewed up and not a very consistent finish. Can you confirm?
Originally Posted by Ni_Mo View Post
Agree they don't look like a very good finish at all! This is how my current ones look.
Nah, just the iphone┤s camera out of focus, if you see the center of the picture is focused and the sides are blurred.. Will try to get a better picture when I get home
renncayman is offline  
Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 PM
  #49  
renncayman
User
 
renncayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 124
Default

Originally Posted by renncayman View Post
Nah, just the iphone┤s camera out of focus, if you see the center of the picture is focused and the sides are blurred.. Will try to get a better picture when I get home

OK, so took a couple pictures with a better cam. I tried to show both daylight and night.

Im very satisfied, my biggest concern was the whites. I must admit when I saw the buttons out of the box I was a bit concerned about final "look and feel" but once installed they look just fine (much better then worn OEM anyway )




Last edited by renncayman; 02-08-2017 at 06:43 AM.
renncayman is offline  
Old 02-08-2017, 01:56 AM
  #50  
///MD
User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 50
Default

Another option that I used. These came out perfect.

https://stickynomore.com

Also has DIY instructions to remove them.
///MD is offline  
Old 02-08-2017, 01:42 PM
  #51  
mickfluff
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mickfluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,857
Default

praying its the camera (both cameras) as they still look like **** in the pics... if mine look like those pics they are going back. Thanks for sharing though but hoping these pics are not accurate. (as you said they are not) Not going through his hassle for them to be a little better then if I just did them over myself. They should look nearly OEM IMO... in the pics they look rough in many areas.

Thanks


Originally Posted by renncayman View Post
OK, so took a couple pictures with a better cam. I tried to show both daylight and night.

Im very satisfied, my biggest concern was the whites. I must admit when I saw the buttons out of the box I was a bit concerned about final "look and feel" but once installed they look just fine (much better then worn OEM anyway )



mickfluff is offline  
Old 02-08-2017, 02:48 PM
  #52  
renncayman
User
 
renncayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 124
Default

Originally Posted by mickfluff View Post
praying its the camera (both cameras) as they still look like **** in the pics... if mine look like those pics they are going back. Thanks for sharing though but hoping these pics are not accurate. (as you said they are not) Not going through his hassle for them to be a little better then if I just did them over myself. They should look nearly OEM IMO... in the pics they look rough in many areas.

Thanks
Maybe.. I keep getting some reflections in the pictures that doesnt appear in "real life". As for the blurred areas, camera tries to focus only on certain areas.

I find it great though, what they promise is that they light up at night and that they are not going to peel off... In real life they look much much better, maybe high def, close up pictures tend to maximize all small imperfections? I dont know... I guess for me the point here is to renew my buttons with no core exchanges, keeping the fan and letters illuminated at night and making sure they are not going to peel off again, leaving white spots all over

In the other hand, this option is almost 50% cheaper than stickynomore, which has this awkward finish int he temp and fan icon:



Looks like the TEMP and FAN icons are just a sticker on top of the original button... I couldnt really stand that
renncayman is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 04:07 PM
  #53  
911PCarFun
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 129
Default

hoping I get mine in soon. Renncayman, it does look like the grooves seem a bit 'rough' perhaps, but mine have completely worn off and look so terrible that I would be happy if they looked like your pics.
911PCarFun is offline  
Old 02-09-2017, 05:41 PM
  #54  
myw
Super User
 
myw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 3,911
Default

are these the ones from europe? the 99$ USD special?

Originally Posted by renncayman View Post
OK, so took a couple pictures with a better cam. I tried to show both daylight and night.

Im very satisfied, my biggest concern was the whites. I must admit when I saw the buttons out of the box I was a bit concerned about final "look and feel" but once installed they look just fine (much better then worn OEM anyway )



myw is offline  
Old 02-10-2017, 01:59 PM
  #55  
Ni_Mo
User
 
Ni_Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 299
Default

Originally Posted by myw View Post
are these the ones from europe? the 99$ USD special?
Yeah those are the ones michael, I'm waiting for mine to turn up & if they look remotely as bad as the ones in the pictures, could be the lighting/camera etc as rennycayman has suggested, I will be sending them back!
Ni_Mo is offline  
Old 02-10-2017, 02:15 PM
  #56  
renncayman
User
 
renncayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 124
Default

Originally Posted by Ni_Mo View Post
Yeah those are the ones michael, I'm waiting for mine to turn up & if they look remotely as bad as the ones in the pictures, could be the lighting/camera etc as rennycayman has suggested, I will be sending them back!
Really, you think they look that bad? I┤m happy with the results, just curious what you see "so bad" in my car In fact, a couple friends who seat in my car asked if I replaced the AC unit when they saw the new buttons
renncayman is offline  
Old 02-10-2017, 02:33 PM
  #57  
Ni_Mo
User
 
Ni_Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 299
Default

Originally Posted by renncayman View Post
Really, you think they look that bad? I┤m happy with the results, just curious what you see "so bad" in my car In fact, a couple friends who seat in my car asked if I replaced the AC unit when they saw the new buttons
renncayman not commenting on your car, you've got a nice setup I don't know how bad your buttons were. I've touched up mine with a sharpie & they look like the ones fitted to yours now
I will compare them once I get them, here are mine as from Porsche:
Attached Images  
Ni_Mo is offline  
Old 02-10-2017, 03:51 PM
  #58  
myw
Super User
 
myw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 3,911
Default

I'm sure they look better then melted oem ones but i think the concernsus of us on the forum is that for 99$ usd - we were expecting an overall finish that would pass for oem.

Originally Posted by renncayman View Post
Really, you think they look that bad? I┤m happy with the results, just curious what you see "so bad" in my car In fact, a couple friends who seat in my car asked if I replaced the AC unit when they saw the new buttons
myw is offline  
Old 02-10-2017, 08:16 PM
  #59  
renncayman
User
 
renncayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 124
Default

Originally Posted by Ni_Mo View Post
renncayman not commenting on your car, you've got a nice setup I don't know how bad your buttons were. I've touched up mine with a sharpie & they look like the ones fitted to yours now
I will compare them once I get them, here are mine as from Porsche:
Originally Posted by myw View Post
I'm sure they look better then melted oem ones but i think the concernsus of us on the forum is that for 99$ usd - we were expecting an overall finish that would pass for oem.
Oh I see what you mean now

What I was told from their customer service is that they have modified the design so that it wont peel off again and that this is achieved by using a different type of paint that gives a slightly different finish. Makes sense for me. My buttons were completely worn, so much white showing underneath... Watching all black again and knowing it┤s going to last...

Cheers
renncayman is offline  
Old 02-10-2017, 08:29 PM
  #60  
jeffm
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jeffm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 281
Default

Originally Posted by renncayman View Post
Oh I see what you mean now

What I was told from their customer service is that they have modified the design so that it wont peel off again and that this is achieved by using a different type of paint that gives a slightly different finish. Makes sense for me. My buttons were completely worn, so much white showing underneath... Watching all black again and knowing it┤s going to last...

Cheers
Yeah, this is my concern.

I've already plasti-dipped mine and they look really good. I was hoping these new ones would be more OEM looking.

Not sure if mine have shipped, but maybe I can cancel my order.....

I actually have two hvac control units. Once I receive the new ones, I'll post a comparison of the plasti-dip vs clima-repair.
jeffm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damned AC buttons-- a fix???


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: