Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damned AC buttons-- a fix???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 02:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

holy crap that looks like ****. I can't believe a company actually produces such trash and peddles it to porsche owners. There has GOT to be a better option.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:58 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Got mine, I'm not real happy with how they look. They look nothing like the ones advertised. Think I'll keep my old ones on, they are going to have to get a lot worse before I replace them with these.

Last edited by ronvanr; 03-03-2017 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

This is nuts!!! You buy a part to restore something, it should look brand new not used
Old 03-03-2017, 02:00 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Not impressed if these photos are representative.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:26 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A better solution...

http://car-bone.pl/shop/ac-panel-swi...ter-2004-2012/
Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
I haven't done this fix, but I've purchased other stuff from these guys, and they are very good.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:49 AM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I cancelled my order. These look horrible!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:04 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Did seller accept the cancel? He wouldn't cancel mine.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Did seller accept the cancel? He wouldn't cancel mine.
Yes, after requesting multiple times he finally gave me a refund.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

They look terrible. Are they really 3D printed? I thought it was just a sticker they put on?

Anyway - has someone tested to take the rubbery content off from the original ones?

I tried this some time ago with the PCM buttons and the result you see below. The left one is the button I cleaned completely by using a scotch brite sponge and some soap. The right one is the new OEM. thought the white stuff would come off but it's actually molded into the plastic. I was surprised about the good result but decided anyway to order new OEM buttons since I like the feel when it's not naked plastic and the cost was low.

For those of you who have issues maybe one way could be to wipe off the rubbery substance completely before trying the more expensive repairs?
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Grant L
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dang...they really are crap

Got mine last night, sorry to report that my perspective is that these really are crap. Pics for you to judge for yourself. I used to work in consumer electronics manufacturing and I would put the grade on these as just about what we would have expected as rough alpha quality samples...not even close to production. Sad.
Attached Images           
Old 03-04-2017, 02:20 PM
MkC2S
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

damn that does look like crap. you should return it & get your $$ back...look like a cheap homemade that they carved out
Old 03-04-2017, 03:20 PM
renncayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by MkC2S
damn that does look like crap. you should return it & get your $$ back...look like a cheap homemade that they carved out
If they are handmade, then Im starting to think they are even cheap LOL How many hours can take to handmade such an small, technical piece? (dont get me wrong, by technical I mean it has to fit in the AC unit and work up and down properly).

Reading some comments from other members I really think some people placed an order not reading the description and not watching all the pictures available in the website. When I placed mine, I zoomed in the pictures, so I knew what I was going to get (a set of buttons that will look much better than my worn ones).

Originally Posted by Rengoku

I have to say their website was quite misleading if you ask me. Their promo photo (Above) never showed any weird 3d printing grooves all over the switch, the finish looked smooth. However, their instructional video (Below) which was only uploaded recently shows what the finish truly looks like.
Can you please post a picture of your car, from the drives POV and the buttons installed? I doubt you will be watching your buttons from that distance in your car LOL, just curious!
Old 03-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Grant L
Intermediate

If you're cool with the quality, just leave it at that. Why throw shade at the rest of us that we didn't do our homework? The pics and description which were up at the time in no way conveyed that we'd be getting something this shoddy.

Originally Posted by renncayman

Reading some comments from other members I really think some people placed an order not reading the description and not watching all the pictures available in the website. When I placed mine, I zoomed in the pictures, so I knew what I was going to get (a set of buttons that will look much better than my worn ones).

Can you please post a picture of your car, from the drives POV and the buttons installed? I doubt you will be watching your buttons from that distance in your car LOL, just curious!
Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 AM
tontor33
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Now it all makes sense...

Well I finally got my buttons and they were complete crap. They looked like someone had manufactured them with a hacksaw and asphalt. Whatever you do DO NOT BUY THESE FOR ANY REASON.

In the reply from their customer service when I complained, something struck me wrong with the wording in the email... It sounded really familiar. Here it is:

"We insist to all our customers to please watch carefully all the high definition pictures available at our web site. Our buttons makes for a good solution once installed. In fact, it came to our knowledge that there are several forums talking about this, customers who already installed the buttons the car are satisfied, however customers who didn’t install the buttons or who didn’t read or watch the product page carefully are not 100% satisfied. This demonstrate problem is not the product but the expectations created."

That sounds eerily familiar to the posts from renncayman who coincidently seems to be overly excited about his buttons, received them 5 days before anyone else who ordered, has talked to customer service directly even though he had no problems, and keeps pointing people to the climarepair website. Then I looked at his posts...

Of the 65 he has currently, about 80% are about climarepair. In fact his account opened in 2013 and immediately started talking about the stickers that Climarepair was offering for this same issue and how satisfied he was with those. Then basically no posts for two years until the beginning of this year when surprise... he was singing the praises of/defending another Climarepair product.

Then I saw this post from 2013 (#28):

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...witches-2.html

I am guessing that from what I am seeing in that picture (Temp and climate control in Celsius, date in international format (DD.MM.YY), SPANISH TELECOM AMENA as service provider) that this car is in fact not in San Mateo, CA but SPAIN. Combine that with the slightly broken english in his posts, and that the first dropbox site he used to post pics in 2013 was a spanish site based out of Madrid, and I am pretty sure that renncayman is the owner or at least a stakeholder in climarepair.

Either way, that's some shady ****.

renncayman, if you are going to start a small company to cater to a niche market that is very interconnected you might want to start with a foundation of a quality product, transparent advertising and testimonials, and flawless customer service. Otherwise it reeks of a scam.

tl;dr - About 99.9% sure renncayman is affiliated with climarepair. Buyer beware.

Quick Reply: Damned AC buttons-- a fix???